HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 9:37 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris550 View Post
"Urbanism is only a factor, a safe city is the goal."

Safe? That's quite telling, you know...
Urbanism is only a theory that if people are there and care, that the place will be safe.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 9:38 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris550 View Post
I'm trying to imagine how everything is pronounced.

CUI - cue-ee
WUI - woo-ee
EUI - yoo-ee
Cwee
Wuoy
Oy

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
Urbanism is only a theory that if people are there and care, that the place will be safe.
Safe is nice, but not necessary to my vision. Chaos is what I want. Random meetings, that become something extraordinary.

The urban is the space that allows for collective expression, for places where gatherings can happen that wouldn’t otherwise happen, that don’t cater only to the individual.~Farshid Moussavi, GSD Professor in Practice of Architecture; Principal, Foreign Office Architects, London

While safety usually follows when an urban area becomes vibrant, it isn't the goal, just a nice side benefit.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 10:02 PM
Majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nkyman View Post
Safe is nice, but not necessary to my vision. Chaos is what I want. Random meetings, that become something extraordinary.

The urban is the space that allows for collective expression, for places where gatherings can happen that wouldn’t otherwise happen, that don’t cater only to the individual.~Farshid Moussavi, GSD Professor in Practice of Architecture; Principal, Foreign Office Architects, London

While safety usually follows when an urban area becomes vibrant, it isn't the goal, just a nice side benefit.
Exactly. Urbanism is way, way more than just about "safety." That would be such a limited goal... if you wanted to define urbanism in it's fullest sense it would be the very study of human civilization itself, a celebration of the the human economy, environment, and social realm all in one. An urbanist in this sense would be someone who wishes to indulge him/herself in the more pure and raw forms of our civilization, all the encounters and mysteries of our society reflected in the city. And in turn, and urban city would be one that facilitates and enhances our civilization.

Flickr

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 10:08 PM

I'd be interested m0nkyman. But not on a Friday night.

And how about UMBY: "Urbanize My Backyard"?

or, uhm, UBER: "Urbanism Benefits Edmonton - Really"?

VUE: "Vibrant Urban Edmonton"? (although a certain paper might object to that one...)

Either way, we can't just copy Winnipeg and Calgary.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 10:26 PM

I'll expect you at the real meeting then.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 10:46 PM
I am the law!

Edmonton for a Sustainable Urban Community

E-SUC

love the superhero feel of ... Edmonton Density Action Group - just change Density to Urban or Community

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 10:49 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nkyman View Post

That's for downtown, downtown. We are talking about the residential parts of town so safety is more important.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 11:03 PM
Majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
That's for downtown, downtown. We are talking about the residential parts of town so safety is more important.
No offense, but I think that is a very suburban way of thinking, where you seperate downtown and the suburbs from one another and pretend that you can't pursue the same goals for both areas. If you promoted more urban suburbs (an oxymoron if I ever saw one) you would see the spinoffs of more safety, along with much more important items such as better transit, lower commute times, and cleaner air.

Or has Edmonton convinced itself that it's such a crime-ridden city that "safety" is the most important issue? Honestly, there are way more important things to think about, like saving billions of dollars on infrastructure that currently goes into trying to sustain sprawlburbs...

Flickr

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 11:13 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

It's not suburban, it's about somebody who wants to raise a family sometime in his life.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 11:23 PM

As a jeweller, and a former nightclub doorman, I have a different perspective on safety than most. Any day I don't get a gun stuck in my face is a safe day. :?

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 11:27 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

All that matters is that people are there and care. Everything else is a bonus, really.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton