HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

View Poll Results: thoughts?
Love it! 5 3.70%
like it 18 13.33%
meh 57 42.22%
WTF is that 55 40.74%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 5:50 PM
Urbis Maximus

FYI - this tower was never contemplated to be thee premier AA-class office building in Edmonton. It is being marketed as condominiums as an alternative to paying higher rates. This tower is no different than Genco Place and numerous others that have sprouted up in downtown Calgary or the Beltline over the past two years.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 5:56 PM
Majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD UW View Post
FYI - this tower was never contemplated to be thee premier AA-class office building in Edmonton. It is being marketed as condominiums as an alternative to paying higher rates. This tower is no different than Genco Place and numerous others that have sprouted up in downtown Calgary or the Beltline over the past two years.
Except that Genco looks better...

IMO, the scale and design of the podium is okay, though I dislike the windows on the third storey.

The red needs to go, it doesn't work with the tower above.

With those corner bits as they are, the massing just looks plain goofy.

Flickr

Last edited by Boris2k7; Aug 11, 2007 at 6:03 PM.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 6:12 PM
ET: Quake Wars

Quote:
That's just the thing - a city like Edmonton deserves to have a office tower that's five times better than that. It's that prospect that saddens me.
Battlefield 2142: 88957820

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 6:22 PM
Round Head

Without all of the brick, it would be quite good. Just a simple cylindrical building.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 7:03 PM

Yea, it isn't great and its not even good.
Those red corners look ridiculous.
If they are doing office condos, why not do another 15-20 floors of residential condos on top?

15 Floors makes no sense to me at this location.

I'm really disappointed.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 7:23 PM
City Maker

I think this building has some real potential and all it needs is a couple of modifications. Mainly, getting rid of the red corner parts of the tower and going with the oval look, redoing the base in correspondence with the new oval outlook and sans-brick style, as well as, forgive me for saying this Edmonton folk, going with some additional height. It's a diamond in the rough...
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 7:27 PM
BANNED

Yikes!

Lose the red shit!

Are they trying to help Edmonton get the award for "least aesthetically-pleasing architecture in North America"?

No use sugar-coating it; it's FUG. Not too mention 20 floors too short. I am really disappointed! And ashamed!

Before I overreact I gotta tell myself this is just the first drawing in what will hopefully be many different concepts. Right?

Gross. We're still Discountville, just with higher prices. And this POS comes out right after Calgary released LaCaille; it really puts us to shame!

Last edited by Hootch; Aug 11, 2007 at 7:40 PM.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 7:51 PM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctown.myth View Post
That's just the thing - a city like Edmonton deserves to have a office tower that's five times better than that. It's that prospect that saddens me.
Couldn't agree with you more, but that title is going to come from other office developers ~ I'm looking at Oxford, Dundee, Procura's towers.

FYI - brick has to be part of the podium due to the zoning regulations.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 7:51 PM

I dont mind it to be quite honest. From what I see in the picture, I really dont mind it. At this point we dont know what the relationship to the street will be, what kind of uses will be on the main floor, what kind of material (or at least very much) it will be. But as for the architectural form, I dont mind it for a 15 storey building.
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980

Last edited by Jasper and one o nin; Aug 11, 2007 at 7:57 PM.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 7:54 PM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhatdan View Post
Yea, it isn't great and its not even good.
Those red corners look ridiculous.
If they are doing office condos, why not do another 15-20 floors of residential condos on top?

15 Floors makes no sense to me at this location.

I'm really disappointed.
Why, because the site is small and going deeper to accommodate the u/g parking requirements doesn't make economic sense. Unless you want to start going with above-ground parking, then it could work.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh white View Post
Without all of the brick, it would be quite good. Just a simple cylindrical building.
Agreed. I don't even mind the brick podium (given where it is, and its requirements) - but the brick in the corners is awful.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Why, because the site is small and going deeper to accommodate the u/g parking requirements doesn't make economic sense. Unless you want to start going with above-ground parking, then it could work.
Add 2 level u/g parking and fill the rest with +/- 700 sq ft bachelor condos with no parking.

No one else near 104 is going to offer that.

It can be done.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 8:18 PM
Kevin Folds Five

This has to be the worst proposal I've seen in Edmonton to date. I was shocked when I saw a building like Panache being built in our core; now I feel like I went on an all night bender last night as I'll be dry heaving all day today after seeing this..

What a letdown. There is nothing they could do to improve this design - except maybe light the paper it was drawn on, on fire, stomp on it, and give the idea to some other developer.

Hello 1980!!! Nice to see you again! What's that, you never left?? Must've been lingering in the shadows all this time!

We want to improve our core by making it a center for inspiration, sustainability and make landmarks to showcase our city in prosperous times.

One only needs to look south to see THIS

And realize how disappointing this tower is.

Please god don't let it be built.

EDIT: OMG someone actually had the balls to release this to the media!! Haha

Not only does the tower portion itself resemble a bad 1980's Cartoon; it appears to have been designed with total randomness in mind - the colors, the podium, the square corners, the punched windows, ... god only knows what materials will be used. God help us all if they dare to use stucco :|. It honestly looks like the @b0rtion we call ARLINGTON with the appearance of curves.

Don't take the candy, it's poison!! ~~~ NOOOOO

Last edited by Kevin_foster; Aug 11, 2007 at 8:27 PM.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 8:30 PM

Might as well throw these in this thread too:

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 8:31 PM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Add 2 level u/g parking and fill the rest with +/- 700 sq ft bachelor condos with no parking.

No one else near 104 is going to offer that.

It can be done.
Put up the money and you can do what you want. Dollars to dimes the proforma and margins prove otherwise.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 8:48 PM

god... the whole "circle-inside-a-square" thing never works. And it's such a kitschy pointless thing to do anyway. Not convinced. Edmonton can do soooooo much better than this garbage. It's pathetic. Who's the architect/developer on this anyway? Maybe it was already mentioned but I didn't see it on first skim.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Put up the money and you can do what you want. Dollars to dimes the proforma and margins prove otherwise.
I wish I could, you know that.

The box around the circle has to be there, no one wants to lose that much floor plate. (Manulife doesn't count its floor plates are already huge.)

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 8:56 PM

Quote:
The box around the circle has to be there, no one wants to lose that much floor plate. (Manulife doesn't count its floor plates are already huge.)
Then maybe it should just be a well-designed box. Or maybe a taller circle. Anyway, to me it doesn't look like a box-around-a-circle anyway. It looks like a circle with four ugly red triangles tacked on to it.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch26 View Post
Then maybe it should just be a well-designed box. Or maybe a taller circle. Anyway, to me it doesn't look like a box-around-a-circle anyway. It looks like a circle with four ugly red triangles tacked on to it.
I agree with you. I'm just stating the reason they are there, if they can lose that would be spectacular, but that would lower the plate size, in usable space, by probably 500 to 1000 sq ft and in a 9000 sq ft plate that is substantial.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 9:04 PM

Some renderings i just whipped up:

...and if i had my way with it:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton