HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan88 View Post
Thanks,

Today the cranes were shut down all day due to the wind

alan
No problem at all. Yeah, the winds have sure been a problem lately.... They should let up soon though.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreach View Post
You posted while I was editing, my keys are sticking, making me look illiterate, my son droppek kool-aid and my board is now fried.. But back to topic I thought they were perhaps making 2?
Aha, no problem, and you were right on with your edited post, the lower part of OWO is going to be maybe 80-100 below and then the higher, more expensive part will be about 25-50 feet below

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 5:46 AM

Well, the observation deck is at 1266 ft. The Top row of windows hits 1368 ft.

That is 102 ft lower than the top row of windows and about 120 ft lower than the outdoor observation deck on the South tower.

For reference, that is about 40 ft higher than the ESB 102nd floor observatory.
Its also 87 ft lower than the Sears Tower Obs deck and ~200 ft lower than the CN tower's skypod.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 3:05 PM
JoeCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramsjdg View Post
Well, the observation deck is at 1266 ft. The Top row of windows hits 1368 ft.

That is 102 ft lower than the top row of windows and about 120 ft lower than the outdoor observation deck on the South tower.

For reference, that is about 40 ft higher than the ESB 102nd floor observatory.
Its also 87 ft lower than the Sears Tower Obs deck and ~200 ft lower than the CN tower's skypod.
Actually, it is 32 feet lower than Windows on the World in the the old tower one and it is also 112 feet shorter than the outdoor platform on the old tower two. Also, it is 135 feet shorter than the highest walking area on the building which will is the the highest ring's platform on this building.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 3:37 PM

We'll have 3 observatory floors, yeah? The ESB has two - outdoors (86th) and indoors (102nd). ESB's 102nd fl observatory is neat in concept, but pretty meh in real life. But the outdoors is cool... the fact you can walk around the perimeter of the floor Top of the Rock's observatory is definitely my current favorite... the fact that their 3-level observatory goes inwards and that they have plexiglass(?) walls instead of the fencing on ESB's 86th fl observatory. So if you still occasionally have a tough time with heights like I do, it makes you feel more at ease. (though ESB's observatories were also fine for me, height-wise)

I think, once 1 WTC's observatory finally opens, it'll be a pretty nice experience for these of us who missed out on visiting the original twins... This will also be a pretty fun experience, getting an entirely different view of Manhattan (as opposed to visiting the current observatories in midtown) I missed out on the original twins, sadly... I was 16 at the time of 9/11. Really wish I could have gotten to go to NYC before then

Another thing I've been wondering... why haven't they been cladding the panels immediately next to the service elevator (on the east side), starting with the mechanical floors? Just curious. I feel better that they're finally cladding that huge gap on the west side... but now we have that! lol

Last edited by NYguy; Apr 8, 2013 at 4:10 PM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 4:37 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 5:58 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Second of third communications ring being installed:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 7:16 PM

the communications ring progress is great to see! I think the spire and ring will look great after all is said and done. Radome or not.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 8:59 PM

Missed you guys...

johnp_hagen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23856396@N04/

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 9:32 PM
Verticle

Well, if the communication rings don't work out, it looks like they can simply turn it into the world's highest rollercoaster! HANDS UP EVERYONE! SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAM!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC4Life View Post
Second of third communications ring being installed:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 9:43 PM

The communication ring seems more significant than it did in the renders, and for my money it's already making a world of difference for the spire. It's a transition from the gleaming surfaces of the tower into a more industrial (but still graceful) frame of reference, in which the spire fits.

The fact that the exoskeletal support rings on the spire are now exposed actually creates a nice relationship -- concentric rings above and within the bigger rings of the comm rig -- that would not have existed if the radome was still there. That's not to suggest that this version is better than the radome-covered version (although I'm one of the minority who never liked it much), but I think it will wind up being more cohesive than we all anticipated when the change was announced.

As some have said, though, I'd still love to see it all treated with the brushed steel look of the beacon.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2013, 3:24 AM

From what it looks like, it seems that they're starting to disassemble the elevator on the east side and also the base cladding on the south side is *done*

*Done* meaning they didn't put in the row closest to the opening yet

Old Posted Apr 9, 2013, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAPINM1 View Post
Actually, it is 32 feet lower than Windows on the World in the the old tower one and it is also 112 feet shorter than the outdoor platform on the old tower two. Also, it is 135 feet shorter than the highest walking area on the building which will is the the highest ring's platform on this building.
I think they should change the design of Tower Two and make it an essential twin of Tower One (sans Spire), and establish an outdoor observatory on top of it, name it "Two World Observatory".

A healthy competition with One World Observatory is expected because it provides sheer cityscape, outdoor view, not any artificial, guided experience (tunnels and holograms, etc.)

Also, people could call them West and East Towers, respecting and even renovating the way North and South Towers were named after.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2013, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurmiles View Post
I think they should change the design of Tower Two and make it an essential twin of Tower One (sans Spire), and establish an outdoor observatory on top of it, name it "Two World Observatory".

A healthy competition with One World Observatory is expected because it provides sheer cityscape, outdoor view, not any artificial experience (tunnels and holograms, etc.)

Also, people could call them West and East Towers, respecting and even renovating the way North and South Towers were named after.
Never gonna happen, they can't at this point without having to tear apart the foundations already there and start from scratch. Also, tower 2 is the most spectacular of all the new towers and should be and hopefully will be left untouched

Old Posted Apr 9, 2013, 5:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIsland View Post
Never gonna happen, they can't at this point without having to tear apart the foundations already there and start from scratch. Also, tower 2 is the most spectacular of all the new towers and should be and hopefully will be left untouched
I think most people are simply "rationalizers". They simply affirm the reality, they rationalize what is happening. They bash what is not likely to happen.

Nevertheless, foundations could be modified, probably no need to start from scratch. and even there is a group of Twin Towers advocates planning to tear down both foundations of Tower 2 and 3 and make 111-story new Twin Towers. Then, it's far more probable to simply change the design of 2 WTC.

I think the current 2 WTC design, the most deconstructivist building in the complex, looks like being cut off by a samurai sword, and we don't know whether Libeskind's wedge of light concept gonna work or not due to the frequent height and design changes of surrounding buildings. After all, it's Foster's design and not Libeskind one.

Remember the past moments when both initial sky garden latticework and sky windmill designs for Tower 1 had been scrapped? That's why we have the current Twin-Towers reminiscent, octagonal antiprism design 1 WTC.

Anyway, only the foundations has been built and the design could be changed, only if people don't give up.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2013, 10:48 AM

I think the 2 wtc is very beautiful, but it must be the protagonist of a another complex buildings.
Having the one wtc wtc and 2 wtc in the same project is like having two rooster in the same chicken coop

Old Posted Apr 9, 2013, 11:36 AM

From ironmike40 on Instagram

Old Posted Apr 9, 2013, 12:31 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tectonic View Post
From ironmike40 on Instagram

He's the king of the world.

I mentioned earlier that the top ring ( or any of them ) would have made a really cool observation deck. But that wasn't possible.

But back to the antenna, when the final piece is placed on top, and its clear just how ridiculous this thing looks, I wonder if Durst will see that as justification or regret.

Jay Fine

tim_devfan

c8132

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Apr 9, 2013 at 12:46 PM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2013, 1:18 PM
Resident Moron

Weather is awfully nice for the last few days.... sure would be nice if the final peice were to rise soon.

I see 1 WTC every day (I work at 1 liberty) and I really don't mind the spire as is. It's not ideal to be sure, but it doesn't honestly look awful in person and is still extremely imposing.

I would obviously prefer the radone cover, but it is what it is and it doesn't look bad. It looks like most other spires/masts/whateverthehecks in the city, so it fits in.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2013, 6:12 PM
SWFC and ICC R Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkDominates View Post
Missed you guys...

johnp_hagen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23856396@N04/
Welcome back Dominator, (wondering where you been,) now to clear up the observation deck question? There will be 2 decks? one that is 2 floors high, the one's just above the maintainance grooves and 1 perhaps 10 floors higher? That's what I'm getting out of the responses... And for photo 30887 NYC4life's photo, is that the last ring that's partial, or is there another 1 going on top of that one??, I thought that was the 3rd and last, but his render says 2nd of 3 rings,,?? Just wondering if thats the top ring or not?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive