HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 12:42 PM
Hello

It looks nice and will be a phenomenal addition to the area, but the original façade looked better. The neighbors and the billboard really screwed this one up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
More renders and article of this from Curbed Philly

Article
http://philly.curbed.com/archives/20...-a-website.php

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 6:34 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Total cop-out on the new facade. That was the most sparkling feature of the proposal.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 8:08 PM

What I don't get is if the city is protecting the billboard, why don't they just build it as apart of the bridge?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volguus zildrohar View Post
Total cop-out on the new facade. That was the most sparkling feature of the proposal.
My guess is that the original facade is more expensive. They needed it at first to capture the votes they needed to build, but they were still shot down. After legal fights, and all the money involved in going through such crazy loops... they decided to nix it for a more boring facade since they had already spent so much money.

At least we are getting a taller building there with more density... but it really sucks that they lost the facade.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 9:42 PM

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 7:26 PM

The CDR calls this building "fabulous" and passes it with flying colors. Since no Zoning changes or variances are needed, this tower can begin immediately.

http://www.phillyliving.com/blog/201...house-project/

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 7:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The CDR calls this building "fabulous" and passes it with flying colors. Since no Zoning changes or variances are needed, this tower can begin immediately.

http://www.phillyliving.com/blog/201...house-project/
lets hope that happens. Hopefully we will see action on this and 1 water street soon.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 3:35 PM

Article about 205 Race and the "affordable" units it's offering.

http://planphilly.com/articles/2014/...r-more-density

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 4:23 PM

Fyi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
Hopefully we will see action on this and 1 water street soon.
From summersm343's link.

Quote:
Construction is expected to begin in the first quarter of 2015.
Not soon enough, but still....

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Article about 205 Race and the "affordable" units it's offering.

I actually like the affordable prices! I mean... no... its not low income for sure, but a two bedroom for $1135 in a brand new building in Old City!? That's a great price! What a great building environment it would be if developers built a whole series of rooms at different prices... all built the same size and style without a poor door and interdispersed throughout the building...

100 units at market rate for anyone with any income.
20 unites at "affordable" rates like this one has for people making $44K or less/yr.
5 units at "low income" rates ($400-500 per room) for individuals making $25K or less.

You would still need the standard first, last, and security, and all the general references to make sure you get low income, but also reliable low income. I know it probably wouldn't be the most enforceable rule to require this for all large developments, but establishing some sort of "affordable ratio" would really help the economic diversification of the city!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 5:17 PM
Closed account

Not sure why Philadelphia needs rent controlled apartments. You can literally live 5 minutes away for less than this building costs. Let developers build higher and charge what they want.

Is there a list of buildings in the city like this that someone can access?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSFHQ View Post
Not sure why Philadelphia needs rent controlled apartments. You can literally live 5 minutes away for less than this building costs. Let developers build higher and charge what they want.

I believe this will be the first building like this.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 5:25 PM
Closed account

Ahh OK. I wonder how the selection process goes. $40k for a single person in old city sounds like the bulk of college students.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 7:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:

this has nothing to do with rent control. This is an incentive program for developers that is optional under the zoning code. And the point is allow someone of moderate (these restrictions dont count as "low" income) income to live IN these neighborhoods, not a mile or 2 away. And considering this is first building to take advantage of this trade off I wouldn't really look at this as a widespread phenomenon.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 7:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Ahh OK. I wonder how the selection process goes. $40k for a single person in old city sounds like the bulk of college students.
I suspect the units will be advertised and the first in line who meet the income limitations can get them. I dont think there is any lottery or selection process involved. Its similar to how some recent PHA developments with for sale homes limit those homes to people who fall under a certain income threshold to prevent a $75k a year earner from buying a brand new subsidized house.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 9:41 PM

This has been approved by the Historical Commission
http://planphilly.com/articles/2014/...market-signage

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
This has been approved by the Historical Commission
http://planphilly.com/articles/2014/...market-signage
Awesome, This has been one of my favorite projects from when it was first proposed. Though it ha undergone many changes I am good with the last rendering and happy this lot will have a nice size project that will stand out for the better, imo.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 5:45 PM

Moving Forward

Looks like this is moving forward soon. They awarded a concrete subcontractor.

http://www.madisonconcrete.com/news/?p=253

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 2:26 AM

Can we get this thread to page 4 soon? Sorry, but it's really depressing to click to see the latest news and be greeted with the beautiful render at the top of this page that will never be.

I really hate that billboard. Can we get an angry skysraperpage mob together and go tear it down?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2014, 9:34 PM

Madison Concrete (again)

More stuff from Madison's site.

Cheers,
G.

Madison Selected for Philadelphia’s Significant 205 Race Street Project

Madison Concrete Construction has been selected to provide the foundations, slabs and filigree concrete frame construction, about 7,500 cubic yards and 175,000 square feet of structural slabs, for the 205 Race Street project in Philadelphia.

205 Race Street
This rendering from Brown Hill Development shows a ending of the planned 205 Race Street in Philadelphia. The building will have 14,000 square feet of retail with 128 rental apartments. Madison Concrete Construction is providing the foundations, slabs and filigree concrete frame construction, about 7,500 cubic yards and 175,000 square feet of structural slabs, for the project.
This is the city’s first project to take advantage of a provision in Philadelphia’s zoning code that offers developers a density bonus in exchange for providing mixed-income housing. The new code provision will enable Brown Hill Development to build nearly 15 percent more square footage on the site than it would be able to without the density bonus. The 205 Race Street project will include 14,000 square feet of retail, 28 below-grade parking spaces for building residents and a pedestrian “artway” where local artists’ work can be displayed. The building’s fifth floor will also have a green roof and a space for residents to socialize or work out. This project is significant because it provides the city with an apartment building that is affordable to people with varying levels of income with units that are comparable in terms of exteriors, energy efficiency and finishes to the market-rate units in the building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive