HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 3:46 PM
Round Head

Rick "the Dinger"Bell and the Calgary Sun

Since this whole bridge, street festival 'debate' that has been going on in the city, I've been following the coverage from the Calgary Sun. I typically avoid the Sun at all costs, but have since become a little bit obsessed. It's all so angering and funny at the same time. A little bit like watching Bill O'Reilly, or a car wreck - somehow it's hard to look away.

Best amongst them is Rick "the Dinger' Bell, whose crazy rants against anything urban, "liberal' or basically anything supported by Druh "The Shrew" or "Silly Hall" are something to behold.

Now I know his columns often resemble the crazy ramblings of a syphilitic mind, and perhaps not worthy of attention, but sadly he has a platform. Why do you suppose this is? What segment of the population does this actually appeal to?

Here's a fantastic one from today:

http://www.calgarysun.com/news/colum...33946-sun.html

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 4:31 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
What segment of the population does this actually appeal to?
The Nancy Grace squad.

Otherwise known as "some white girl got kidnapped, so the po-lice better be out in force - but if one fucking red cent of my tax dollars are spent on anything else, there will be bloody hell to pay!".

It's an incredibly vocal minority that does manage to convince a lot of otherwise intelligent people with appeals to emotion, strawmen, and fear mongering.

You'll also notice Bell uses the classic "omg I'm so persecuted" paranoid angle - those evil scheming urbanists are trying to FORCE him to change HIS lifestyle, don't you know. This is a devastatingly effective tactic. Just look at the anti-gay movement over the past few decades. Surely gay people are trying to subvert straight people's rights?? Gay marriage means straight marriages aren't valid anymore!! Due to the same rhetoric, American Christians actually truly believe that Christianity is under "attack" in their country, which I don't think needs more comment. Go a bit further back in history and you'll see just how effective this is - I'll Godwin this thread by pointing out that this was precisely how Hitler kept Germany in agreement with his more disagreeable policies. Those evil, scheming Jews are just trying to destroy your life and take all your rights away, just by being JEWISH.

No, I don't think I'm exaggerating. Rick Bell comes across precisely like this. Same motivation (hey if I scare people they'll take my side!), same effect (marginalizing a group of people), and he's a pretty crude example of a human being for doing it.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 6:15 PM

I liked him better when he was a jolly fat guy.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 6:21 PM

God, I can't stand Rick Bell. He's a perfect fit for The Sun though.

What's this debate about street festivals? I haven't heard anything about that.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 6:40 PM
Crunchin' the numbers.

I'm always astounded that there's a market segment out there consisting of people who must really want to read a newspaper, but still remain ignorant.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 6:41 PM

This is why I stay clear of the sun.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 6:50 PM
Fake News

I miss his portlier days back when he sported the hobo beard. Then it was at least easier for people to dismiss him right off the bat without sctually reading his articles. All you needed to see was that mugshot.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 12:44 AM
Fake News

Anyone else catch Rick Bell's latest diatribe against the bridge called "a bridge too far" or something equally stupid? He basically uses the testimony of some city official from Dallas and claims if we don't stop it now council will bilk us for billions. Only thing is his Dallas comparison is retarded in that it's not even relating to a similar pedestrian bridge, but a designer highway overpass. Also it's had problems cause the national guard won;t approve it or something.

Absolutely idiotic!

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 2:08 AM
Dr Morgan, AME

Rick Bell haters: take some consolation from the fact that very, very few Sun readers take the time to actually read his column. Having watched colleagues at many and varied workplaces and schools thumb through the Sun, I can't think of many times I've actually seen someone stop at page 4 on their way to the sports pages/SunShine girl/Wonderword. In fact it seems to me that, on the whole, the people getting most lathered about Rick Bell's pap are less sympathetic Sun readers, and more Bell's ideological opponents. If urbanists in general are worried about Canadian media damaging 'the Cause', they should be far more concerned about the idiots at the Herald who are doing far more to undermine mainstream support for urban issues.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2009, 2:29 AM

The Sun in general, and "Dinger" in particular, have actually gotten worse over the years (hard to believe that were even possible). The immaturity of the paper with its simplistic slogans and nicknames has gotten to the point where I feel shame even reading it (kind of like one might feel if they were watching Hannah Montana or listening to a New Kids on the Block song). The obsession with 2 or 3 relatively minor issues for such a large city (pedestrian bridge, pay raises) leaves precious little space for the big issues, and when those are covered (Plan|it|), the journalism is blatantly one-sided.

That said, must agree with Grendel that the Herald's more subtle approach is much more effective subversion. The majority of Sun readership probably doesn't know, understand or care much about urban issues.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation