HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 7:52 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Thanks again, Cowboy. Hopefully UCSF sees enough benefit from additional housing to make it worth their further investment.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977 View Post
What's up with the garage along Third with all of the missing panels? Not that it was appealing before, but it looks even worse now.
The panels were removed years ago (2008, maybe). Did they come back and are now gone again, or are you just commenting it since the other garage brought it mind?

There were issues with the glass panels cracking and danger of them falling to the ground below. There was a big dispute over whether it was a design flaw or a construction flaw, and they took down all of the panels until a plan for fixing them and who would pay for it was decided.

There were also complaints that the panels were too transparent and that you could see right through to the concrete behind them, very unlike the renderings which suggested the glass would be the primary visual feature of exterior. So they were also looking at whether they could do something to make the glass more opaque.

I'm honestly not sure what happened with it, but I guess they've never resolved things satisfactorily to put things back together. It was bad enough that they didn't put any panels of the west side to begin with because it would have cost too much money for a temporary solution with the plans to expand the garage at some point...that whole garage is such an eyesore, but at least it has solar panels on it!

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboy View Post
The panels were removed years ago (2008, maybe). Did they come back and are now gone again, or are you just commenting it since the other garage brought it mind?

There were issues with the glass panels cracking and danger of them falling to the ground below. There was a big dispute over whether it was a design flaw or a construction flaw, and they took down all of the panels until a plan for fixing them and who would pay for it was decided.

There were also complaints that the panels were too transparent and that you could see right through to the concrete behind them, very unlike the renderings which suggested the glass would be the primary visual feature of exterior. So they were also looking at whether they could do something to make the glass more opaque.

I'm honestly not sure what happened with it, but I guess they've never resolved things satisfactorily to put things back together. It was bad enough that they didn't put any panels of the west side to begin with because it would have cost too much money for a temporary solution with the plans to expand the garage at some point...that whole garage is such an eyesore, but at least it has solar panels on it!
I was just commenting on it because the other garage brought it to mind, but thanks for the info!
I do wish there was motivation (money) to return the panels or cover it with living walls or vines to soften its presence a bit. As you said, it's a eye sore as is.

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 3:57 AM

Talk about crazy timing...just received word today that crews were up installing samples of the new sandblasted, more opaque glass on the north side of the garage. Six of the new panels mounted next to two of the old panels for comparison.

A settlement with the contractor has finally been reached and the new panels, if the samples meet with everyone's approval, will be ordered for delivery and installation in the December-January timeframe.

In other news on the UCSF campus, the Block 17 courtyard between the Smith cardiovascular building the Diller cancer building opened today. And the Block 19 courtyard between Rock Hall and the new neurosciences building opens Monday. The pedestrian pathway along the west side of the neurosciences building will open in a few more weeks.

Hopefully timbad or one of our other photogs will get a chance to check out the new courtyards for us!

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Talk about crazy timing...just received word today that crews were up installing samples of the new sandblasted, more opaque glass on the north side of the garage. Six of the new panels mounted next to two of the old panels for comparison.

A settlement with the contractor has finally been reached and the new panels, if the samples meet with everyone's approval, will be ordered for delivery and installation in the December-January timeframe.

In other news on the UCSF campus, the Block 17 courtyard between the Smith cardiovascular building the Diller cancer building opened today. And the Block 19 courtyard between Rock Hall and the new neurosciences building opens Monday. The pedestrian pathway along the west side of the neurosciences building will open in a few more weeks.

Hopefully timbad or one of our other photogs will get a chance to check out the new courtyards for us!
Ha, no way?! Good news.

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 4:42 AM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
In other news on the UCSF campus, the Block 17 courtyard between the Smith cardiovascular building the Diller cancer building opened today. And the Block 19 courtyard between Rock Hall and the new neurosciences building opens Monday. ...
a few shots of the CVRB/Diller courtyard...

first looking from the northeast as you exit from the little passageway coming from MB Blvd:

and an angle we haven't seen before, this one looking south approximately from the CVRB exit:

and looking east at the side of the Diller building:

and from across Nelson Rising Wy on the south, showing the yellow brick crosswalk leading from the student housing:

and with some cars in the way, from the little farther toward the east. here you can see the wall of bamboo (which doesn't look very happy, is already rather dry and brown) set up along the south side of the courtyard, not sure if for visual- or wind-screening purposes, or both, or neither.

overall, the idea seems to be that you can get from the CVRB exit to the crosswalk in a straight line, but any other route across the square will cause you to at least meander.

Last edited by timbad; May 8, 2012 at 4:48 AM. Reason: added last sentence

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 5:29 AM

neurosciences courtyard

... and these are all still sneak-peeks through the fencing, since the courtyard over at the neurosciences building wasn't open over this last weekend yet, of course. (hm, altho looking at the first pic more closely now, seems I might have been able to slip in from Nelson Rising Wy; oh well)

from the southeast corner, looking toward the entrance into Rock Hall:

from almost the same place, but looking further west into the crook of the bend of the neurosciences building:

from about the same angle as last week's sneak-peek, looking roughly northeast from the southwest:

from a few feet further to the west, showing part of what is an extensive planted area that helps channel access from Gene Friend Way into the square into specific points:

there is another access point at the far SW corner of the building at one end of the covered walkway that runs tucked under its curved southeast face:

and I guess I should add that the western walkway is indeed not yet ready for primetime (and appears not to be getting the yellow brick road treatment after all):

Last edited by timbad; May 8, 2012 at 5:47 AM. Reason: added last photo

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 2:10 PM

Looking good...thanks, timbad!

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 6:37 PM

I went to a Giants game this past weekend

and grabbed this shot of Mission Bay from the ballpark. I imagine this view will look quite different in a couple of years (click to enlarge):

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 8:15 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Nice! The backdrop will look a lot different very soon with blocks 2 and 3 and the public safety building all under construction. I can't wait for 5-10 years when Mission Rock gets built out. Then that view will be very nice.

Thanks for the plaza shots, timbad.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 5:41 AM

overkill?

sorry if this is overdoing it a bit, but I was able to get down to the neurosciences courtyard this morning. it's an hour when I am not usually likely to be there, so I wanted to make sure I got some shots with the light at that angle. guys were still putting some finishing touches on it here and there.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 5:57 AM

Quote:

A settlement with the contractor has finally been reached and the new panels, if the samples meet with everyone's approval, will be ordered for delivery and installation in the December-January timeframe....
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977 View Post
Ha, no way?! Good news.
yes way! (I assume that's an old one on the left)

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 6:06 AM

random other shots...

the hospital was getting more of its non-beige skin put on on both the east (shown here) and north sides, this as of over last weekend:

... and back from this morning, it looked like they had taken down all of the rear of the warehouse building and were feasting on its remains off to one side

here's Madrone as seen looking north on Third:

Last edited by timbad; May 11, 2012 at 6:10 AM. Reason: added last photo

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 6:12 AM

Thanks again for the new shots!

Those new glass panels on the garage certainly do look better, at least in that lighting. Will be interested to see if it holds up in other situations including at nice, but from this it seems much more in line with what the renderings suggested it would look like. You'll still be able to see the concrete structure in the gaps between the glass panels, but with the panels being more opaque they'll feel like the actual skin of the building floating a little bit away from the concrete. And from oblique angles the glass should dominate the view.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 6:20 AM

Here's a lengthy Reuters article about the ill-fated Salesforce campus in Mission Bay. Seems like it really would have been quite the project.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 7:33 AM

Quote:
Here's a lengthy Reuters article about the ill-fated Salesforce campus in Mission Bay. Seems like it really would have been quite the project.
I am hoping George Lucas expands to this location after getting kicked out of Marin.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 2:29 PM

^^^270,000 sf wouldn't replace Salesforce (what would?), but it's a nice chunk.

Pier 70 might be an even better option.

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 4:00 PM

I walked by Mission Bay South today and noticed the BRE Properties has signs all over block 5 that there will be apartments in 2014. This may have been shared before but it's worth noting that BRE bought back blocks 5 & 11 for block 12E from BOSA. Looks like construction should commence soon.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...-deal-bre.html

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
here's Madrone as seen looking north on Third:

Thanks for the update timbad. I love this shot.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 7:51 AM

2121 Third

after a pause, demolition has started up again at 2121 Third. the two small buildings that had fronted Third are gone:

and here as seen from the Illinois side:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development