HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 11:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
Wow! I am so impressed, this area looks amazing. Why don't more people want to live there?
Because it's fucking Jersey!

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 11:32 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Boom, that was a dandy set of pics. Thanks for the great tour. Certainly more urban looking than any other "suburban" county in the country.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 11:35 PM
Posh

Yo.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 2:42 AM

Old Posted May 1, 2017, 9:05 AM

streetscaper I want to thank you for creating this thread about the county & city I was born (JC) & raised in !
The development of Hudson county does resemble many parts of NYC. Growing up there I didn't realize how urban it was until I moved away to Florida.
I lived in Union City & W. New York which was the Cuban enclave back then & not sure if it still is though I still have family there.
My family didn't own a car and we walked everywhere except for my father who took mass transit to his job in Manhattan.
I can remember seeing the NYC skyline from my kitchen window and falling in love with skyscrapers and everything that is urban.
It was a wonderful place to grow up in and your pics have triggered a lot of happy emotions and memories for me.
I truly appreciate this !

Old Posted May 1, 2017, 9:12 AM
Montérégien

That was amazing. Thanks.
😍 😍

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 11:03 AM

Bellissime !!!

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 3:26 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Fantastic thread, both for the commentary and photo quality.

I pass through there on my way to NY and it always looks so solid, but I'm never in town long enough for it to reach the top of my priority list. The most I've seen is when the Bolt or Megabus gets off the highway for some reason to snake through local streets in Hoboken. Thank you for showing it to us.

These two photos, especially, are now in my Flickr favorites list.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 8:37 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Incredible tour.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 2:07 AM

Like everyone else, my thoughts while looking at your great pictures were "why does Jersey get a bad rap?". I certainly wouldn't mind living in an area like that. After seeing this thread, I started going back through some of your other boroughs "again".
Were there any areas you came across where it didn't feel safe walking around with a decent camera? Usually, if it's busy it's fine, I tend to pack my camera away when streets start getting too quiet.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 2:24 AM
REAL Kiwi!

Outstanding thread, thanks for sharing...

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdreamz View Post
streetscaper I want to thank you for creating this thread about the county & city I was born (JC) & raised in !
The development of Hudson county does resemble many parts of NYC. Growing up there I didn't realize how urban it was until I moved away to Florida.
I lived in Union City & W. New York which was the Cuban enclave back then & not sure if it still is though I still have family there.
My family didn't own a car and we walked everywhere except for my father who took mass transit to his job in Manhattan.
I can remember seeing the NYC skyline from my kitchen window and falling in love with skyscrapers and everything that is urban.
It was a wonderful place to grow up in and your pics have triggered a lot of happy emotions and memories for me.
I truly appreciate this !
Glad I could oblige!

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Fantastic thread, both for the commentary and photo quality.

I pass through there on my way to NY and it always looks so solid, but I'm never in town long enough for it to reach the top of my priority list. The most I've seen is when the Bolt or Megabus gets off the highway for some reason to snake through local streets in Hoboken. Thank you for showing it to us.

These two photos, especially, are now in my Flickr favorites list.
Thanks a bunch ! Megabus sometimes gets off the highway and goes through Weehawken, not Hoboken

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 4:24 AM

I'm glad you posted these! Hudson doesn't get much attention, you're doing a fantastic job with your photo series!

The problem with Hudson are the limited transit options. While it's right across the river from Manhattan, unfortunately it's a real pain to get into the city from there. That puts off a lot of people from moving there. You have to take commuter busses that come every half hour or more. They drop you off in Port Authority bus terminal in Manhattan. The cost of paying for that every day just to go less than a mile is ridiculous, plus the subway fare. No thanks.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewE View Post
Like everyone else, my thoughts while looking at your great pictures were "why does Jersey get a bad rap?". I certainly wouldn't mind living in an area like that. After seeing this thread, I started going back through some of your other boroughs "again".
Were there any areas you came across where it didn't feel safe walking around with a decent camera? Usually, if it's busy it's fine, I tend to pack my camera away when streets start getting too quiet.
Thanks!! Sometimes I do the same as you when I'm on quiet streets in certain neighborhoods.. but have no qualms taking it out again when I see something interesting, even setting up my tripod too. The only place where I just refused to take out my camera was Brownsville/East New York in Brooklyn. New York is pretty safe but I always stay very aware of my surroundings where ever I am.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 4:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxwood View Post
I'm glad you posted these! Hudson doesn't get much attention, you're doing a fantastic job with your photo series!

The problem with Hudson are the limited transit options. While it's right across the river from Manhattan, unfortunately it's a real pain to get into the city from there. That puts off a lot of people from moving there. You have to take commuter busses that come every half hour or more. They drop you off in Port Authority bus terminal in Manhattan. The cost of paying for that every day just to go less than a mile is ridiculous, plus the subway fare. No thanks.
Thanks I'm glad you enjoyed! Actually, every half-hour commuter busses are for further out places in Jersey. Most people in Hudson county have much more frequent busses. For example, Google shows that from Union City there are busses heading to Manhattan less than every minute at some point in the morning. I actually experienced this when I went there in the early morning to shoot, tons of busses just kept coming and coming almost non-stop that I felt totally comfortable getting a few last shots before hopping on a random one back to Manhattan. And many have the PATH as well. (But you're right that many then have to take and pay for the subway)

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Hudson County (and much of Essex/sliver of Bergen) is like a somewhat less dense/vibrant version of Western/Central Queens.
I wouldn't put anywhere in Bergen on the same level as the Hudson County neighborhoods in streetscraper's photo essay. In Essex, the only place that's comparable (many contiguous blocks of densities above 40,000+ ppl/sqmi) is the Ironbound (at least since the 1960s and white flight). I'd say the eastern strip of Hudson County that runs from downtown JC and Journal Sq up to West NY actually matches up quite well with Western Queens, especially Astoria/LIC, in terms of density (objectively many of the municipalities in Hudson are denser even than the average Brooklyn neighborhood). Honestly I think Astoria/LIC are a good point of comparison for JC+Hoboken+Union City+West NY. They're a similar distance from Manhattan, have similar densities, and are seeing similar levels and types of development (more sterile towers along the waterfront, and more interesting urban infill inland). But JC/Hoboken have nicer brownstone neighborhoods than LIC/Astoria.

Quote:
Whether this is "better" or not than Brooklyn is obviously subjective, but it certainly can't match up in terms of density, vibrancy or built form. It probably matches up in terms of diversity, though.
Overall? No, it doesn't match up in terms of density, vibrancy, or built form. But particular neighborhoods (such as the ones in these pics) certainly do match up with the average Brooklyn neighborhood. As far as built form, the area around Stevens in Hoboken and the area around Van Vorst Park in JC have some of the most exquisite row houses I've seen in the NYC region, on par with those in any neighborhood in brownstone Brooklyn.

As far as 'vibrancy' I guess it depends how you define that. But my current neighborhood of Journal Square in JC is much more walkable than my last neighborhood near Greenwood in Brooklyn. You're not gonna find any bougie cafes or hipster hangouts here, though, but the discount stores sell any necessity you can think of.

Quote:
But overall, there will always be a west-of-Hudson discount because of transit issues. The subway doesn't run there, so you're taking PATH, commuter rail, ferries or express buses into Manhattan.
PATH is a subway in all but name. It was actually the second subway line built in Manhattan after the IRT. Actually it's 3 lines, each line runs every 4 minutes at rush hour, and the trains run 24 hours a day/7 days a year. Even the train cars are just a modification of the newest IRT cars. Of course PATH's coverage of Hudson is limited to Downtown JC, Journal Square, and downtown Hoboken. My biggest complaint is that frequency sucks on weekends and late at night. But even then, it's comparable to subways in certain parts of the outer boroughs (e.g., the R train in Park Slope/Bay Ridge), especially when you factor in the ridiculous amount of weekend work on the MTA in recent years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxwood View Post
It's because of misconceptions like these that Hudson County is at a discount compared to Queens and the Bronx. A lot of people don't realize how easy it is to get into Manhattan from much of Hudson County. As streetscraper noted, North Hudson (West NY/Union City/JC Heights) have buses every minute during rush hour into the city. But they only have one stop in the city, at Port Authority, which *is* annoying. But if you live around a PATH stop in Hoboken/Jersey City, it's quicker to get into the city than living in 95% of Brooklyn, Queens, or the Bronx. There are 6 PATH stops in Manhattan, and you can transfer to any MTA line except for the G without walking outside. I've raced friends who live in Crown Heights or Astoria to different points in Manhattan, and I almost always win, except to the Lower East Side :p And our transit passes are only $89 per month, which leaves lots of extra money for transferring to the MTA when necessary.

Also worth noting (though it's not seen in streetscraper's photos) is the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail, which shares transfer stations with 3 PATH stops, offering Manhattan access to a much larger chunk of the county from Bayonne to North Bergen.

Last edited by Hamilton; May 5, 2017 at 11:32 PM.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 5:06 PM

I might be biased because I live in JC and was born in Hudson (though I lived most of my life in Brooklyn and Manhattan before that and only moved to Hudson last year). But I've actually walked and biked the majority of Brooklyn, cemtral/western Queens, and eastern Hudson, including overlooked neighborhoods like Middle Village and Dyker Heights. And as far as vibrancy is concerned, I disagree a bit with streetscraper's assessment. I'd say that the neighborhoods in the photos that streetscraper posted are every bit as vibrant as a typical neighborhood in western Queens or Brooklyn south of Prospect Park. Many of the neighborhoods in these photos have densities of 60,000 or 70,000 people per square mile, comparable to Manhattan's overall density. There's only a very few stand-out neighborhoods in southern Brooklyn or western Queens that I'd say are more vibrant--Jackson Heights and Sunset Park among them. But again, it depends how you define "vibrant."

The kicker is that there are a lot of places in Hudson County that are much less vibrant and dense and they didn't show up in the photos. Some of them are abject depopulated ghettoes mired in poverty (Greenville, Bergen-Lafayette), derelict industrial zones (much of Kearny and Harrison and the Bayonne waterfront), cookie-cutter suburbia (Secaucus, much of North Bergen, route 440 in JC), or sterile, failed urban planning experiments (Newport, Port Imperial). And the truly vibrant urban places tend to be stuck between less vibrant places. Journal Sq, Downtown JC, Hoboken, and Union City/West NY are all somewhat isolated from each other. In much of Brooklyn, on the other hand, you can practically walk without interruption from one vibrant neighborhood to the next, each with a different character...it's almost like walking through a theme park in that sense.

Last edited by Hamilton; May 5, 2017 at 11:34 PM.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Dick View Post
Because it's fucking Jersey!

Yup. An amazingly huge psychological barrier for a lot of people. They just can't get over it.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 5:32 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
Yup. An amazingly huge psychological barrier for a lot of people. They just can't get over it.
I survived.

S.Jersey, now that place is wack, but Central and North NJ are cool.

Hudson and Bergen are great places. And because of homerism, central NJ is also superior.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos