HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Dec 24, 2013, 4:41 PM

Maybe some other building regulations come into play if it's 20+ stories? Plinko?

Old Posted Dec 24, 2013, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Maybe some other building regulations come into play if it's 20+ stories? Plinko?
Just a guess, but I would assume the lobbies at both places are approximately two stories, thus these buildings are actually 20 stories of height, but really just 19 floors.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2013, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Alright, I think I may be confused a bit...

Is the Luhrs 19-story permit for a new hotel?

Then the Hotel Monroe is the rehab and conversion to a hotel. I realize this sale finally just closed.

Two separate projects, correct? I think I just answered my own question...
Yep, answered your own question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
Lol, us nerds must've just blown up their permit review system.
Haha you're right.

I'm starting to think that they updated the online permit review database all at once because it seems like every project I searched for had action. The "Cooper Place" apartment building going up behind the new Y also had a new permit. Unfortunately there was nothing for the second phase of Portland Place (but I did just get an email from the developer saying happy holidays).

Old Posted Dec 24, 2013, 10:23 PM

Cooper Place? First time I'm hearing about this project.

Quote:
Plan Description COOPER PLACE
Project 12-2815 COOPER PLACE

PROJECT DESCRIPTION: COOPER PLACE IS MULTI-FAMILY WHICH IS LOCATED WITHIN THE DOWNTOWN BUSINESS CORE AT 350 NORTH 2ND
AVE. THE SITE CONSISTS OF APPROX. 0.47 GROSS ACRE AND APPROX. 0.32 NET ACRES. THE DEVELOPMENT IS A 4-STORY MULTI-FAMILY ON
TOP PF A PODIUM GARAGE. THERE ARE 2 STORY TOWNHOMES WHICH ARE LOCATED AT GRADE ALONG 2ND AVE. THE PODIUM GARAGE
PROVIDES 29 PARKING SPACES FOR THE PROJECT. THE PROJECT WILL BE REQUESTING SUSTAINABILITY BONUS TO REDUCE THE REQUIRED
PARKING (1 SPACE PER UNIT) TO 29 SPACES INSTEAD OF 40 SPACES. THE RETENTION WILL BE LOCATED UNDERGROUND.
EXISTING ZONING DOWNTOWN BUSINESS CORE PERMITS MULTI-FAMILY SO REZONING IS NOT NEEDED.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2013, 11:56 PM
them bones

Quote:
Not that I'm aware of. For either office or hotel occupancy (or residential for that matter), if it's over 11 stories it's going to be Type IA construction (the most restrictive).

It's not a height limit thing as this is in-line east-west with the courthouse which is 289ft.

My guess is that more likely it has something to do with picking up setback and roof lines on the Luhrs Tower itself (some sort of historical reference requirements).

Old Posted Dec 25, 2013, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Cooper Place? First time I'm hearing about this project.
It has been briefly discussed before in the Phoenix thread. I don't know much about the project but it seems like it's a go.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2013, 2:57 AM
Skyriser

My guess is that it has to do with how much parking they have available at the garage, and with the height limit at 250' quickly being approached with the overall height of the structure and its penthouses. Plus there's all sorts of stuff related to the economics...how much back of house you need for a particular number of units and square feet, marketability and profitability of the whole thing given the market.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 6:09 PM

Quote:
The demo permit is confusing...partial interior demo? Pick-up of existing striation for relocation?
Looks to me like the demo permit is for total demolition of the Lurhs Central building. I went there the other day to look around. Aside from some cool details to the facade (which would be awesome if they could keep the facade and build the new hotel behind), the interior of the building is really pretty terrible. A 60s or 70s remodel seemingly stripped all of the interior's history. It won't be a terrible loss to have this building demolished (unless of course it is demo'd and never built upon), again, aside from the facade. I'd rather they demo the parking, of course, and keep the Luhrs Central Building, but that's not happening.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 9:25 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Looks to me like the demo permit is for total demolition of the Lurhs Central building. I went there the other day to look around. Aside from some cool details to the facade (which would be awesome if they could keep the facade and build the new hotel behind), the interior of the building is really pretty terrible. A 60s or 70s remodel seemingly stripped all of the interior's history. It won't be a terrible loss to have this building demolished (unless of course it is demo'd and never built upon), again, aside from the facade. I'd rather they demo the parking, of course, and keep the Luhrs Central Building, but that's not happening.

Yah the approval for the Central building happened long ago when the economy was still booming and Phil Gordon was in office. My understanding is the City can't reverse that now.

I've talked with some people involved in the project and tried to plant the idea of saving the facade and popping a new building up behind it....sadly they seem to lack such imaginative thinking.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 10:24 PM

Right. A few posts ago from late last year there was a mysterious permit talking about partial demo. This permit shows it's going to be total demo of the building. That's why I was posting this now. I don't think this will be too great of a loss (aside from the infuriating fact that we have plenty of open lots, sucks that the only things that seem to happen are on parcels with existing buildings. )

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 10:15 AM

So, is this going to be dual-branded or is it too early to tell?

If we end up with rubble in place of the Central building, unimpressive interior or not, I'll be upset and yet so not surprised. That area of downtown is ripe with empty lots. Heck, we just destroyed two historic hotels for parking lots within walking distance.

Why, oh why, does this building need to come down? There were businesses inside. Filled with workers. Workers who traveled downtown each day, spent their money on food and other necessities. Workers who are now out of business and money that will go elsewhere as construction takes place.

You can't possibly tell me that the garage couldn't have been knocked down, with a subterranean structure built beneath the the new hotel? A hotel on Madison and 1st, with the Luhrs Building and Tower on Jefferson and Central Building... We'd have retail wrapping around an entire city block. Maybe the Central Building doesn't house the most glamorous tenants, but they'd surely be more vibrant than a garage floor as will be the case?

Meanwhile, in ~3 years, nothing has been done to the retail in the arcade aside from a Subway and a not-looking-likely bar. Somehow, your typical hotel restaurant coming next door doesn't instill much hope that this strip will recover from the needle in the arm that was CityScape and its wall of dumpsters and garage entrances.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 10:54 PM

Official News fo Luhrs

We already know most of this but it confirms construction starting this spring and the dual branding.

Quote:
A new $80M dual-purpose hotel is slated to rise from the site of a two-story vacant building at Central Avenue and Madison Street in downtown Phoenix. Hansji Urban plans the capstone of its Luhrs Block development with a 320 room hotel. The new 240KSF, 19-story Luhrs City Center Marriott, according to its application with Phoenix, will be divided with around 120 rooms dedicated to a Courtyard by Marriott and about 200 rooms for a Residence Inn by Marriott.
http://azbex.com/80m-downtown-phoeni...r-luhrs-block/

Old Posted Jan 11, 2014, 2:52 AM

Thanks for that. Nothing groundbreaking, bug some interesting bits and news on the timing and confirmation of a dual-brand are nice to finally see set.

This also gives me hope that they're at least making an effort to take the surrounding Luhrs structures into account in planning the design, as I'm not sure it does them any good to blow smoke up our asses if they're going to turn out a generic project in the end. Given that they're keeping the parking garage, you'd think they'd attempt to complement some of the features?

I wish they'd add retail to the parking garage during reno; but, the article references a public restaurant and bar so we'll at least get some street level action and if Bitter and Twisted ever takes off, that'll make a nice little pocket of nightlife.

"Hansji is still in the process of finalizing the exterior design to complement the historic standards of the Tower and Building north of the site. A two-story empty building will be demolished to make way for the new construction. The company plans to unveil the final details later in the month."

Old Posted Jan 11, 2014, 2:56 AM

This is the only somewhat urban project of theirs I could find. Nothing special, but not offensive at all and I wouldn't mind a similar design. I think it's modern enough to contrast, though I'd of course prefer a color that wasn't beige. Ours should be twice the height if I counted floors correctly. I just don't understand why this has to go where a usable historic structure stands. Throw this on the lot south of Palomar and fill in Luhrs and the building to its east with quality tenants. I'm trying to stay positive because this is a net gain overall, but I can't help but echo the earlier cry over the lack of development on actual empty lots, especially recently.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...slamp-quarter/

I love the look of hotel entrances (well, except for almost every one in Phoenix.. Even the Palomar is bland); wish this was going on Central, but maybe the bar will be and have some nice signage?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2014, 3:21 PM

Yeah, it would be great if they could build on the empty lot next to the barrister building and keep the lurhs central building. The major problem, obviously, is that they don't own that land. Only in fantasy land can we plop buildings where we wish they'd go. I'm still ok with them demoing the central building, so long as they go through with their development.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2014, 4:06 PM

I know, I wasn't being serious.

What is the Barrister Building used for? Seems like it could be utilized better, no?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2014, 8:07 AM

According to their Facebook page, Bitter and Twisted has started construction.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2014, 3:24 PM
BANNED

$80M Downtown Phoenix Hotel Planned for Luhrs Block
Posted by Rachel on Jan 10th, 2014

By Eric Jay Toll for Arizona Builder’s Exchange

A new $80M dual-purpose hotel is slated to rise from the site of a two-story vacant building at Central Avenue and Madison Street in downtown Phoenix. Hansji Urban plans the capstone of its Luhrs Block development with a 320 room hotel. The new 240KSF, 19-story Luhrs City Center Marriott, according to its application with Phoenix, will be divided with around 120 rooms dedicated to a Courtyard by Marriott and about 200 rooms for a Residence Inn by Marriott.

Luhrs Tower 01ACRM Architects, San Diego, is the designer of the complex. Owner Hansji Urban has not selected a GC or opened a bid process for construction. The “Main and Main” development will ultimately take the entire block bound by Central and First avenues, Jefferson and Madison streets.

When submitting the building permit application to Phoenix, Hansji projected construction starting this spring on the final piece in the Luhrs City Center Phoenix. The company is renovating the art deco Luhrs Tower and the companion Luhrs Building into a mixture of retail and office uses. The historic Tower and Building renovations are underway.

The new hotel features four floors of amenities, including conference and meeting space, private dining and a public bar and bistro. The lobby area is open to the second floor. The mezzanine-style second level includes a buffet and dining area for hotel guests.

Four meeting rooms, a board room and pre-function space take up the public areas on the third floor. On the third floor, the hotel features additional event space and a private dining room. Public areas include the pool and fitness center.

Hansji is still in the process of finalizing the exterior design to complement the historic standards of the Tower and Building north of the site. A two-story empty building will be demolished to make way for the new construction. The company plans to unveil the final details later in the month.

Cushman & Wakefield are leasing agents for the retail and office space in the Tower and Building

Old Posted Jan 13, 2014, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx View Post
$80M Downtown Phoenix Hotel Planned for Luhrs Block
Posted by Rachel on Jan 10th, 2014

By Eric Jay Toll for Arizona Builder’s Exchange

Luhrs Tower 01ACRM Architects, San Diego, is the designer of the complex. Owner Hansji Urban has not selected a GC or opened a bid process for construction. The “Main and Main” development will ultimately take the entire block bound by Central and First avenues, Jefferson and Madison streets.

When submitting the building permit application to Phoenix, Hansji projected construction starting this spring on the final piece in the Luhrs City Center Phoenix. The company is renovating the art deco Luhrs Tower and the companion Luhrs Building into a mixture of retail and office uses. The historic Tower and Building renovations are underway.

The new hotel features four floors of amenities, including conference and meeting space, private dining and a public bar and bistro. The lobby area is open to the second floor. The mezzanine-style second level includes a buffet and dining area for hotel guests.

Four meeting rooms, a board room and pre-function space take up the public areas on the third floor. On the third floor, the hotel features additional event space and a private dining room. Public areas include the pool and fitness center.

Hansji is still in the process of finalizing the exterior design to complement the historic standards of the Tower and Building north of the site. A two-story empty building will be demolished to make way for the new construction. The company plans to unveil the final details later in the month.

Cushman & Wakefield are leasing agents for the retail and office space in the Tower and Building

Will the 19 story building in that location make an impact on the skyline from the east or west? Or will it be too low and blocked by other buildings from each direction?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2014, 5:42 PM

Construction is going on at Bitter and Twisted!!!!! Saw it this morning.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest