HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 1:45 AM
retro_orange

delete

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 1:46 AM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
The evidence of work was only on the rental tower site - the south end.

I'm pretty sure the other site is completely separate from 'Shops at New West Station.'

I once went to a movie at Landmark to check it all out. This was after the improvements: what they did, did improve things, but it remains a bafflingly cold, dark, and inhospitable place compared to what it could be. I hate the exterior, but the interior is the real failure. Thing is, it wouldn't take much to make it significantly better. I can't see much more money going into it though.
Quote:
New West to welcome new CRAFT restaurant to Columbia Street?

An architectural rendering of the proposed CRAFT Beer Market at the Shops at New West shows garage-door style windows that would be opened in nice weather and an all-weather rooftop patio. The building would connect to Shops at New West and provide another way to access the station and shops. Photograph By Contributed

A restaurant chain focusing on craft beer and food may be setting up shop at a prime corner in downtown New Westminster.

First Capital Realty is planning to develop a three-storey building at 801 Columbia St. in collaboration with the CRAFT restaurant chain. The restaurant would connect to and become part of the Shops at New West.

The plan includes large garage-door style windows that would be opened in nice weather and an all-weather rooftop patio. The 19,153 square foot (1,779.5 square metre) space would connect directly to the second plaza level of the Shops at New West but could accessed at all three levels by patrons.

“They are at the Salt Building in the Olympic Village in False Creek. They also have CRAFT breweries in Calgary and Edmonton,” said Ralph Huizinga, First Capital Realty’s vice president of acquisitions and development in Western Canada. “It’s a fairly successful brew pub concept in a large format that we are quite excited about.”

Huizinga said the plan is to connect CRAFT to the second level of the New Westminster SkyTrain station, where the Shops at New West mall is located.

Part of the logic behind this is to create a better entrance to the Shops at New West on the second level,” he told the Record. “In addition to the CRAFT building, there will be a sort of grand staircase beside them that will take them up and connect Columbia to the shops. There’s always been a bit of an abrupt stop and an incomplete finish to that side of the Shops. This solves that problem, and gives us a great draw, which is the other thing we were looking for here – something to attract people beyond simply computers going to take the SkyTrain.”

The city has received an application for a special development permit that would allow the building to be constructed at 801 Columbia St.

Huizinga said First Capital Reality would like to begin construction this year. The company is hiring a consultant to lead the public consultation process.

“This is land that was owned by the city that we purchased under an agreement for sale. I think the city is keen to see this developed as well,” he said. “It lacks something there, it wants something substantial.”

On July 4, council directed staff to bring the development agreement bylaw forward for council’s consideration, once it is prepared.

“We are looking to move this one forward rather quickly,” said Jackie Teed, the city’s director of planning. “This applicant, First Capital, is working specifically with the proposed restaurant that would be in this location. They are designing it specifically to attract this business here. We are expecting to bring the application to design panel over the summer. Then we would be bringing it forward to council for consideration probably in August or early September.”

Coun. Patrick Johnstone said the corner of Eighth and Columbia streets is the entrance to the city for people arriving at the New Westminster SkyTrain station and downtown shops. He believes the building must be built in such a way that it provides access to SkyTrain and the Shops at New West.

“I want it to be a nice entrance into the city,” he said. “I want it to be an inviting place.”

The city bought property at 801 Columbia St. in 2008 with the idea of creating a public plaza or a civic centre. In January 2014, the city reported selling the site to First Capital Acquisition Corp. for $1.95 million.

“The property is under contract for sale to First Capital, however title does not transfer until after the building has been completed,” said Jim Lowrie, the city’s director of engineering. “First Capital has until Dec. 31, 2018 to complete the building. If the building is completed earlier, transfer of title will also occur earlier. This does not affect the purchase price.”

© 2016 New West Record -
See more at: http://www.newwestrecord.ca/news/new....8ZSJC3Aw.dpuf

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 2:26 AM
retro_orange

Title change

Also i think the title can be changed to '4th Tower Proposed'

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 3:48 AM

I'm glad something is finally in the works for that corner.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 11:46 AM

That corner proposal looks great.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 3:48 PM
life in the present

CRAFT is actually pretty good, although a bit pricey. Beer selection is amazing and food is of really high quality for a chain. Been to the Olympic Village location many times, I've no doubt it'll be a huge hit in New West. Far better that Tap and Barrel IMO.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 5:52 PM

I agree! CRAFT > Tap 'n' Barrel all the way

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 7:05 PM
Vancouver Bus Driver

This proposal looks amazing. Finally Plaza 88 will start to look complete. And Craft is definitely awesome, fits New West culturally too. With RiverSky and the new 4th tower, and Anvil Centre already complete, this station precinct is going to be awesome.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 9:44 PM
perhaps . . .

As for thread titles and content: someone needs to check the fact that the CRAFT proposal is a completely separate project.
  • Tower 4 is the last phase of Plaza 88
  • CRAFT is proposed for a completely separate site and is not owned/proposed by Plaza 88

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 10:03 PM

From SSC - site clearing underway for Tower 4:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaZantiP View Post
They begin new 40 storey site

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 6:35 AM

any updates about tower 4? info online seems limited,

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 6:42 AM

Noticed the crane was up today. No real construction yet though just piles in the ground.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 6:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
Noticed the crane was up today. No real construction yet though just piles in the ground.
how about units info? completion date? i cant even find a website.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 7:06 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewenzi View Post
Quote:
Tower 4 will house 500 residential units and up to 4,000 square feet of street level retail space.
From: http://sitings.ca/project-leasing/tower-4-plaza-88/

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 7:06 AM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewenzi View Post
I went past it on the train this evening, there's plenty of piles, not sure if they will be driving more of them. It will be entirely rental so it's likely there won't be a full website until the tower is nearing completion. I have attempted to scour the internet about tower 4 earlier this year to no avail. Contacting Degelder is all i can think of now. Still nothing going on the CRAFT site though.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 7:28 AM

New Westminster - Projects on the Go - May 2016
Quote:
Rezoning/SDP: To allow a 38 storey mixed Use, multi-family and commercial building; 266,001 square feet of Residential Floor Space, 4,531 square feet of Commercial Floor Space.

REZ00080 SDP 00190

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 11:06 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Updated the title. There is limited space, tried to fit everything in.
First Capital Reality, the company that owns the Shops at New West / Plaza 88 is buying the 801 Columbia St. property from the city and is incorporating it into the development, so it's appropriate to keep it in this thread.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 6:04 AM

4th tower is now above grade, I didn't get a good look at the south side but fronting Carnarvon is parking on the first level.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 6:57 AM

From SkyRise Cities March 21st:

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Of Rain, post: 1203433, member: 70034
20170319_105946 by Hung Lam, on Flickr

20170319_105951 by Hung Lam, on Flickr

20170319_110014 by Hung Lam, on Flickr

20170319_110101 by Hung Lam, on Flickr
From SkyRise Cities March 30th:

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Of Rain, post: 1209273, member: 70034
20170330_182724 by Hung Lam, on Flickr

20170330_182726 by Hung Lam, on Flickr

20170330_182728 by Hung Lam, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 4:27 PM

Good to see this development. It will cover up the ugly parkade from the rest of the development and add some street life.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley