HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Feb 9, 2017, 8:35 PM

Wasn't there some talk of a joint Calgary/Edmonton bid for the Winter Olympics?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2017, 11:00 PM

More rumour than actual talk IIRC

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 4:23 PM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

So Durban can't host apparently. Should Edmonton throw its name back in the hat to host in 2022?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 4:53 PM

^ Why not if the Feds and provincial Government provide funding. These type of events are used for upgrading facilities - that is the main advantage.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 7:00 PM

Agreed. Don't think it will have the shine that '78 did (Edmonton being about twice as big by now).

That said, a 10k (proper) soccer stadium with proper seating and amenities would be nice ...

LRT expansion to EIA ...

Athletes Village at Blatchford ...

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 7:37 PM
Community Guy

Bingo. Feds would need to be the BIG supporter though as the Province is unlikely.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 1:25 AM

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...180542?cmp=rss

Quote:
The flicker of hope for Edmonton to host the 2022 Commonwealth Games is getting closer to being snuffed out, if the mayor gets his way.

"The time has come for us to be honest with ourselves that it's not the right time to be pursuing mega-events on our own," Don Iveson said Tuesday.
Quote:
Iveson's position on stepping back from the Commonwealth Games is echoed by the chair of a new report prepared by a citizens' panel on major sports events.

"I think the mayor has looked at it from a rational approach as to where we are today and what we've got in front of us and what the economy's looking like," Reg Milley said. "And yes, that's a good decision."

In the report, called "The Changing Field of Play," the panel outlines the types of sporting events Edmonton is best suited to host in coming years. The panel looked at various factors, such as the cost of security and accommodation for athletes to how cost-effective the facilities are to build and how much tourism revenues the city would get.

"Edmonton shouldn't bid on events simply because they can host them," Milley said.

The panel suggests Edmonton host one mega-event, such as the Olympic Games or the FIFA men's World Cup soccer tournament, every 20 to 30 years. It recommends the city host at least six major events, such as the Commonwealth Games or the FIFA women's World Cup, every 12 years.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 1:33 AM

I sure hope there are NO provincial funds for Calgary's anticipated bid to re-host the Olympics. That would be Metro Edmonton tax dollars being used and will piss off a lot of people.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 4:09 AM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

As much as I'm a fan of Big Ticket events and our capabilities to host them (i.e. I was a big 2008 Edmonton Olympic bid supporter and had a photocopied copy of the bid book for years...) I don't think there's ANY appetite to really host these events in North America or Europe these days for a variety of reasons (the least of which is budget austerity and prioritizing health care and education, security costs, risk of terrorism, etc.).

Mostly I see the next few decades of games like FIFA World Cup, The Olympics, The Commonwealth Games all going to smaller nations looking to build infrastructure and prove themselves) hence why the Qatar 2022 bid may have seemed like a fluke but judging from the last couple of Summer & Winter Olympic Bids get used to a lot of sports being hosted in places like Kazakhstan, Georgia, China, Kenya, Morocco, Malaysia, etc.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton