HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 7:27 PM
gettin' rich!

I think it's fun to have this topic.. so long as Calgary, Vancouver and Montreal are included in the chase...

We're just having fun, and now there is nothing wrong with that.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 7:29 PM
Change is good

Lets just abolish all the subsections in the Canada section, and have a free-for-all.

Perhaps the reason people get upset about all the Toronto centric topics is because there is no home for Toronto topics, and they tend to dominate the Canada section.

Oh, and by the by, Those of you that think Toronto or Calgary get their unfair share of abuse here are full of yourself and your city-ego. Edmonton, Winnipeg, Vancouver and Montreal all get their share of love/hate on these forums, so just take it. It's a sign of your success if others are jealous. By Tony's logic, there shouldn't be any presence from any region in Canada in this section, because we have all been scared away boo hoo hoo. Right.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 7:30 PM
User Registered

Easiest way to get a supertall:

Add a couple floors to First Canadian Place. It's 298m.. a floor or two should get it past 300m for supertall status.

Or add a spire to Scociabank plaza or something

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 7:32 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
I just fail to see the important of some having a building that meets some arbitrary 300 m height and also arbitrarily isn't a building of a certain type or doesn't include spires (unless its "decorative"...also arbitrary). Skyscrapers are cool and all, but this whole "herp derp when we gonna get a supertall?" thing strikes me as some sort of juvenile penis-envy thing. And for all intents and purposes, we already have multiple "supertalls" (FCP & CN Tower, at the very least).
So because you've said so, nobody can ask the question?

Get out of the thread if you don't care, cuz those who want to participate in the discussion "don't care" what you have to say.

Flickr®

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 7:34 PM

I never understood why it seems this forum seems to have some fixation on Skyscrapers either.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 7:35 PM

I think if Toronto doesn't build a supertall within 10 years, Calgary might just beat you to the punch. OUr vacancr rate is a lot lower than people expected it to be right now, and the rate of absorption is pretty strong. I thnk now that we have the Bow, corporations in this city will see the benefit of having a signature building as their corporate HQ and a few more will try it out.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 7:37 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
I never understood why it seems this forum seems to have some fixation on Skyscrapers either.
You win the Internet for today! (Or at least the SSP portion)

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 7:38 PM

Toronto is the most logical, Vancouver it could never happen (in the city proper anyways), and Calgary could very well be the dark horse.

I would LOVE to see a nice mixed-use building, pushing 300+m in Calgary. Retail / Office / Condos on top

Are their strict height limits in the downtown core now? What about on the "other" side of the tracks that looks like a whole different slightly impoverished city lol~

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 7:40 PM

I'm still not sure why the CN Tower is not counted as a supertall. I know that it's a building and not a tower, but it's not like the world is swimming with 300+ metre towers. In fact, they're more rare than supertall buildings.

Supertall buildings built or U/C in the world = 119
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=48827348

Supertall towers built or U/C in the world = 40
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=48827329

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 7:49 PM

lets be real theres only two maybe three citys that would look good with a supertall in canada

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
I think if Toronto doesn't build a supertall within 10 years, Calgary might just beat you to the punch. OUr vacancr rate is a lot lower than people expected it to be right now, and the rate of absorption is pretty strong. I thnk now that we have the Bow, corporations in this city will see the benefit of having a signature building as their corporate HQ and a few more will try it out.
From articles I read early the year Calgary's vacancy rate was in the high teens and was expected to increase over the year, has there been a big change in this?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 8:11 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
From articles I read early the year Calgary's vacancy rate was in the high teens and was expected to increase over the year, has there been a big change in this?
Yes, yes there has. Now they are only forecasting low double digits and possibly into the single digits.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Yes, yes there has. Now they are only forecasting low double digits and possibly into the single digits.
Pretty much.

With Oil prices still high, and gas prices on the rebound, I think Calgary should continue to do well in the near future, and should do really well in the next 10+ years.

I agree that there are only a couple cities that could have a 300m tower and not look ridiculous, and they are Calgary, Montreal and obviously Toronto. Edmonton and Vancouver needs a couple 200m towers first. Don't know enough about Mississauga to weigh in there.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 8:22 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Tony, I can't disagree with a word you've said, except to point out that it's by no means Toronto-only. Calgary has the exact same issue, pretty much word-for-word the way you described it. I've started calling us the "Toronto of the West" when discussing how Canadians treat the city. There's also a strong parallel in that both cities are full of people who are very proud of their city and genuinely happy to live where they do, which offends some. Also, both of our hockey teams currently suck donkey balls.

Hence my subtle joke about a Muslim mayor for Toronto, referencing the last time someone DARED make a city-specific thread that wasn't Winnipeg or Edmonton.
And almost every single french-speaking Quebecker left SSP for Mtl.urb. The Quebec subforum was once the busiest of all on SSP.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Pretty much.

With Oil prices still high, and gas prices on the rebound, I think Calgary should continue to do well in the near future, and should do really well in the next 10+ years.

I agree that there are only a couple cities that could have a 300m tower and not look ridiculous, and they are Calgary, Montreal and obviously Toronto. Edmonton and Vancouver needs a couple 200m towers first. Don't know enough about Mississauga to weigh in there.
my thoughts exactly

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Don't know enough about Mississauga to weigh in there
I think Mississauga is the DarkHorse. I can see the Sausage getting a "Signature" SuperTall at some point.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Pretty much.

I saw this week that oil is expected to be $300 a barrel by 2020 so St. John's and Calgary will be laughing. Maybe we'll even get a skyline.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 9:20 PM

Quote:

I'll... third this. The aesthetics of it should be considered. Honestly, even in Calgary or Montreal, I think it could be tricky to pull it off without it completely dwarfing the rest of the skyline. Though, that does depend on how "supertall" we're talking.

Though, that might not be a terrible thing. Look at Taipei. They have Taipei 101, their next tallest is somewhere around 200 meters, and the rest of the CBD has buildings more or less the height of Vancouver/Edmonton. What they ended up with was a truly landmark tower that completely defines the city, and nothing else even comes close. It might not look as cool as a big cluster of tallish skyscrapers, but it still leaves a very lasting impression. When I think Taipei, Taipei 101 is at the top of the list of what I think of. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone on that.

So, I guess it depends on what we're after here. A landmark tower that defines the city, or something big that adds to the existing skyline, but doesn't completely overpower it. And, obviously the best answer is somewhere in the middle, rendering all my babbling useless. I apologize.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 9:45 PM

I dont think a 300m tower would look out of place in calgary

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 10:07 PM

It really depends on what role the supertall plays in the skyline. By some standards, even the Bow can be considered "too large", but personally I find it to be extremely appropriate for Calgary and serves as an anchor/landmark, rather than attempting to fit in with the scale of the CBD. The Bow is a true Prairie skyscraper.

PS, the seemingly SSC-endorsed regional boycott of SSP sounds kinda immature...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada