HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 1:06 PM

Burlington, ON: Downtown

Burlington is a city at the western end of Lake Ontario, and is located immediately north of Hamilton. The population is around 165,000.

Burlington began as Wellington Square, although the "Burlington" name had been applied to the nearby bay in 1792 by John Graves Simcoe. Wellington Square grew as a modest exporting site for the local wheat and other produce. Another port community of Port Nelson formed only a mile away from Wellington Square at around the same time. In 1874, Port Nelson and Wellington Square were combined to form the village of Burlington. The next major change came when Burlington annexed Nelson Township and Aldershot in 1958. Burlington incorporated as a city in 1974.

A house on Lakeshore Road.

The Burlington Arts Centre, on Lakeshore Road. The public art gallery was built in 1978.

The Lady of the Lake fountain, in Spencer Smith Park. The fountain was dedicated in 1973 for the city's centennial year.

The Burlington Canal Pier Lighthouse, located in nearby Hamilton at the entrance to the Burlington Bay Canal, can be seen from Spencer Smith Park. The lighthouse was built in 1909 .

Highrises in Stoney Creek can also be seen from Spencer Smith Park.

The bridges over the Burlington Bay Canal in Hamilton stand out in the view along the lake. The Burlington Canal Lift Bridge, from 1962, is on the left, with the two spans of the Burlington Bay James N. Allan Skyway, from 1958 and 1985, are in the center.

Discovery Landing, on Lakeshore Road. The structure was built in 2006 and provides amenities for Spencer Smith Park, including a lake observatory.

The Burlington Performing Arts Centre, on Locust Street at Elgin Street. The venue will be completed later in 2011.

The Richard Cole House on Locust Street, built in 1896.

The Robert Kentner House, on Locust Street. The house was built in 1884.

The Miller-Bush House, on Ontario Street. The house was built in 1875.

Eglise Saint-Phillipe, at Locust & Ontario Streets. The church was built in 1875 and was originally the Calvary Baptist Church. It became a Catholic church for Burlington's French-speaking community in 1968.

The Charles Blathwayte House, on Ontario Street. The house was built in 1888.

Houses on Ontario Street.

Houses on Burlington Avenue.

A duplex on Locust Street. In the background is Burlington City Hall.

The Queen's Head, at Elgin & Brant Streets. The pub was built in 1860 as the Zimmerman House, and had functioned as a hotel for decades.

Businesses on Brant Street.

Burlington City Hall, on Brant Street. The city hall was built in 1962.

The Burlington Cenotaph, in a park next to Burlington City Hall. The cenotaph was dedicated in 1922.

The King Edward VII fountain, on Brant Street next to City Hall. The fountain was dedicated in 1912 and was relocated from Spencer Smith Park in 1977 for the silver jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II.

Businesses on Brant Street.

An old warehouse on John Street.

Knox Presbyterian Church, at Elizabeth & James Streets. The parish was started in 1845 and the church was built in 1877.

An old Methodist Episcopal Church, on Elizabeth Street. The church was built in 1858 and was used as St. Luke's Anglican Church's Sunday school beginning in 1868. The building now houses the Royal Canadian Sea Cadet Hall.

Midrises and highrises along Elizabeth Street.

The Dickens pub on Elizabeth Street. The pub is in a house dating from 1855.

The John Taylor House, on Elizabeth Street. The house was built in 1876.

Looking down Wellington Walk in Village Square, a pedestrian shopping area designed to be like a small turn-of-the-century town square.

The eastern entrance to Village Square, on Pearl Street. The Sylvester Inglehart House, built in 1875, has been shifted diagonally to create visual flair, and is now used as shopping space.

Condominiums along Lakeshore Road. The Baxter, completed in 2006 is on the left. 360 On Pearl, completed in 2009, is on the right.

Buildings on Old Lakeshore Road. On the left is the Chrysler Carriage Shop, built in 1859.

An old house on Old Lakeshore Road.

One example of more rustic conditions in Burlington is the Ascot Motel, on Old Lakeshore Road.

Holy Protection of the Blessed Virgin Mary Ukrainian Catholic Church, on Pearl Street. The church was built in 1973 and was originally St. Mary's Ukrainian Church.

A restaurant on Pearl Street.

Houses on Martha Street.

A house on Caroline Street, built before 1924.

The Robert Hammond House, on Pearl Street. The house was built in 1872.

Wellington Place, on Pearl Street. The highrise apartment building was built in 1969.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 3:32 PM
Community Guy

Passed through many of a time, never stopped, probably should.

Performing Arts Centre is nice!

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 7:10 PM

Nice work. Burlington has a great waterfront. I'm glad you got some of the older houses, there are some nice ones in Burlington. North Shore Blvd. heading back toward Hamilton has some very nice homes, and Lakeshore heading toward Oakville is also quite impressive.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 12:06 PM

Beautiful place.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 3:24 PM

My dad was raised in good ol Burly and my grandparent still live there. I love it. It's not nearly as affluent or built up as Oakville, but it's a great place to raise a family.

My grandparents live a little further from the lake, where most of the houses are 70s side splits. Even though its mostly all stripmalls, its still extremely walkable.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 4:32 PM

Good stuff Burlington!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2011, 4:07 AM

The Hammer's arch-nemesis.

Thanks for the tour!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos