HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 6:59 PM

Personally I don't like the old proposal. I've seen the faux-heritage buildings in Ottawa, and they look very bad. By themselves they look ok, because it's meant to be an imitation. But attached to the Chateau it would look really tacky.

I've disliked almost every proposed addition floating around, and I think only two of the rendered additions would work:

1. The Notre Dame student's proposal (best one)
2. the last official proposal. It's not terrible and it doesn't take away much attention from the real thing. If they take the heritage committee's recommendations and make pointy rooflines and such, I'm afraid that it would make it worse.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 6:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownandDown View Post
The tunnel from the east is the tunnel I'm interested in. Does it go under the footing from the parking garage, or just butt into the east side (north-east) corner of the main building? There's a loading dock shown in those new renderings, does that mean the tunnel has to go?
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
There's a little about the tunnel, including a few pictures, on Urbsite.

http://urbsite.blogspot.com/2009/09/...1928-wing.html

The tunnel was built well before the parking garage, so I don't think its demolition or the hotel's expansion will have any effect on it.

I'll see if my book has any more info.
Found the short paragraph about the tunnel. From Château Laurier - A Splendid Century, Chapter Four, "Enter Canadian National", p. 84-85

I will paraphrase. Basically, when they built the East Wing, it eliminated the service access to the hotel. The initial plan envisioned was a ramp on the north-east side of the new wing, pretty much where they have a surface parking lot between the Mackenzie entrance and the entrance to the gates to the (now demolished) parking garage. CNR's chief did not like that idea thinking it would be an eyesore, so he itched the idea of a tunnel from Sussex to the Feds. The Feds agreed as long as the City was on board and that it would not be used between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. to preserve the Connaught Building's prestige. Another condition was that they build stairs between Sussex and Mackenzie next to the tunnel portal. With the conditions met, the hotel would be given access to the right-of-way in perpetuity. The tunnel opened March 12, 1930.

Based on the book, I would assume the tunnel plugs in where they ramp was initially planned, that is in the basement foundation, just north of the Mackenzie entrance.

Today, service vehicles have outgrown the tunnel. It remains in limited use for waste management. Deliveries and waste management have been relocated to the north end of the old CNR tunnel along the canal (not in the book, general knowledge).

Now that 700 Sussex is using the right-of-way for its parking garage (no doubt given to them in "perpetuity" also in exchange for the new stairs and elevator), I'm not sure how realistic it would be to re-purpose the tunnel for the new underground parking garage.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 8:35 PM

They are putting the finishing touches on a fairly elaborate surface parking lot this week. I guess the expansion isn't happening any time too soon.

[IMG]20181016_152005 by harley613, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Found the short paragraph about the tunnel. From Château Laurier - A Splendid Century, Chapter Four, "Enter Canadian National", p. 84-85

I will paraphrase. Basically, when they built the East Wing, it eliminated the service access to the hotel. The initial plan envisioned was a ramp on the north-east side of the new wing, pretty much where they have a surface parking lot between the Mackenzie entrance and the entrance to the gates to the (now demolished) parking garage. CNR's chief did not like that idea thinking it would be an eyesore, so he itched the idea of a tunnel from Sussex to the Feds. The Feds agreed as long as the City was on board and that it would not be used between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. to preserve the Connaught Building's prestige. Another condition was that they build stairs between Sussex and Mackenzie next to the tunnel portal. With the conditions met, the hotel would be given access to the right-of-way in perpetuity. The tunnel opened March 12, 1930.

Based on the book, I would assume the tunnel plugs in where they ramp was initially planned, that is in the basement foundation, just north of the Mackenzie entrance.

Today, service vehicles have outgrown the tunnel. It remains in limited use for waste management. Deliveries and waste management have been relocated to the north end of the old CNR tunnel along the canal (not in the book, general knowledge).

Now that 700 Sussex is using the right-of-way for its parking garage (no doubt given to them in "perpetuity" also in exchange for the new stairs and elevator), I'm not sure how realistic it would be to re-purpose the tunnel for the new underground parking garage.
Awesome, thanks! I just think that the tunnel would have been a perfect entrance for the garage, after check-in you wouldn't have to circle quite so far. (the valet wouldn't have to circle quite so far).

Also, kitchen grease is still stored in the tunnel, and runs down the ramp at 700 Sussex...

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownandDown View Post
Awesome, thanks! I just think that the tunnel would have been a perfect entrance for the garage, after check-in you wouldn't have to circle quite so far. (the valet wouldn't have to circle quite so far).

Also, kitchen grease is still stored in the tunnel, and runs down the ramp at 700 Sussex...
I think the grease visible around 700 sussex has more to do with milestones bad ventilation design than the Chateau. The stuff running down the garage door is definitely coming from a milestones vent.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
I think the grease visible around 700 sussex has more to do with milestones bad ventilation design than the Chateau. The stuff running down the garage door is definitely coming from a milestones vent.
If you peer through the gates on the south side of the tunnel, there are about a dozen grease drums stored there... nasty.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa