HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted Jun 16, 2006, 3:10 AM
Tokyo 1993 - 1998

With Kendall Y, Upperfalls, and maybe this development... Spokane River's N. Bank is going to get quite a population boost.. Which is good bringing people to the "core" of the city..

Old Posted Jun 16, 2006, 4:21 AM

^^ oilcan.......that new development on the northbank will more than likely happen. It will be between 7 and 8 stories high. It will be almost connected to the flour mill it will be so close. That is the way it looks in the renderings. The funny thing is, I think it will be built next to the flour mill, but directly next to the flour mill there is a credit union that was built not that long ago. So I looked at a rendering of the proposed development from the east and it looks as though it will be built south of that credit union. The problem is that part of the structure sits in a Federal Emergency Management Agency flood zone. That is why there is some question as to weather it will be buit or not. I do believe they will find a way around this and build it. Spokane should be very happy that we have a major that is very pro-growth and economic development. He seems to try very hard to make projects work.

In addition, the larger crane is final being erected at the davenport tower and residences construction site.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2006, 8:32 AM
Hub for an Empire

^^^^ The credit union next to the Flour Mill was located there even during Expo. True, it is really close to the Flour Mill. It's been awhile since I walked or drove by the building. I'm sure it is the same building that was there though. Maybe there were updates to the building over the years? It is difficult for me to visualize a Condo building south of the credit union building since the building seems almost on top of the bank next to the river and close to the entrance of Riverfront Park. Are you sure they aren't planning to tear the building down and put the Condo up where the Credit Union is located? What type of design does the Condo Building look like? Similar to the Upper Falls Condo project? Maybe they are running into problems due to set back restrictions from the river? IMO we also need some distance from the river so the general public can enjoy the river away from construction....if we don't, then we run into the problems other cities have encountered over the years. Spokane's draw is it's natural beauty (River, Trees and terrain).

Old Posted Jun 16, 2006, 7:45 PM
Hub for an Empire

^^^^ Today's article in the Business Section stated the Condo was proposed between the Flour Mill and the Federal Credit Union. That should be a tight fit! Hardly any distance between the two builidngs now.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2006, 11:23 PM
Tokyo 1993 - 1998

Ok... I see this popped up ine Spokane Business Journal today... At first I was skeptical because of the room, and once I heard it wouild be so close to the Flour Mill I was a little hesitant as it is one of my favorite buildings in Spokane.... But I will admit I really like the design I think it compliments it very well:

I am all for it..

Old Posted Jun 16, 2006, 11:42 PM
The higher the better!

Thanks for the renderings oilcan.

What a great place to call home if you can afford it, right next to the arena, the park, future science center and downtown. I call dibbs on the south facing penthouse!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2006, 11:55 PM
Tokyo 1993 - 1998

^Ha Ha.. tell me about it... I was thinking the exact same thing prime location... I have always had a fondness of that particular part of town (Flour Mill being my favorite bulding in the city)... use to spend a great deal of time making my way down a few blocks north from my High School North Central across the park into downtown...

I am trying to picture all of that in a whole with Upper Falls in view as well?...

Hmmm... maybe time for me to find a pic and draw it in.......

Old Posted Jun 17, 2006, 1:46 AM
Hub for an Empire

^^^^ I saw the rendering in the B of B also after work. Seems like it would fit in with area. Wonder how much the lowest unit would cost? I wouldn't mind living there! Can I be your neighbor, OilCan?

Also there is an article about Brewster / the U-District / VOX Tower in the issue! Brewster likes to keep is plate full....hopefully, he can follow through....or it might actually bring down the advancement in the city, somewhat!?
I know he also is involved with a residential unit in Lewiston, Idaho and working on another project in Seattle! Busy Boy!

I also posted the commentary about Spokane International Airport on the other thread site! Good advancement there...hopefully new air routes will be added soon!

GO SPOKANE!!

Old Posted Jun 17, 2006, 2:18 AM
Tokyo 1993 - 1998

revrw/Hub are both correct..

If you look at the redering based out of the Journal you can see the outline of the credit union still to the east of the proposed condo. So in reality it looks like it is going to be a very very tight fit for the size of what is being shown on the rendering. I placed the current condo proposal in yellow so you can tell. Also as far as it stretches out (equivilant to the landing of the Mill) it is out in the F.E.M.A. flood zone the current springtime run off flow water indicated in light blue.

Some obvious changes will be in play of this rough rendering but I would hope something comes of this.

Hub... as far as Brewster goes... I would wish he would continue focusing on finishing up projects he slated 3 years ago than read about his new proposals in the Journal every week. While I admire his "visions" and urge to see the city move forward it is time he put his money where his mouth is and start putting things in motion.. Spokane needs to stop with the large "What if?" proposals time after time in the highrise department and start producing (like Worthy).

Last edited by oilcan; Jun 17, 2006 at 2:52 AM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2006, 4:38 AM
Hub for an Empire

^^^^ My, that is a tight fit! Kind of looks like a sidewalk about 2.5' wide could fit between both buildings on each side of the proposed new Condo!
Must get sold to some very skinny people!
Maybe they are trying for a Hong Kong look....perhaps clothes lines linked from one building to the next! ...the fresh smell of the mist of the river drying clothes during the hot summer day in Spokane. Just kidding!
Guess this is a way to increase density downtown.
I do like the design of the Condo though!

True, Oilcan, Like I stated, Brewster loves to put a lot on his plate. All talk and no action makes one a boring boy! I hope he follows through or his reputation will be zelch in the future in Spokalu! Hopefully, his full plate does fall on the floor....for the region and Spokane's sake!

Old Posted Jun 20, 2006, 4:56 AM

No more hope for the Rookery

http://spokesmanreview.com/breaking/story.asp?ID=6880

The days are over for the Rookery building. I am actually glad that they are going to finish the demolition. It is such an eye sore and it sticks so bad around there. I am convinced that once the property is graded they will have like 3-4 offers for that property.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2006, 1:50 PM
Hub for an Empire

^^^^ Well, I do think the removal of the two buildings will be a loss for Spokane. I could accept more the demolition of the Rookery Building, but the Mohawk Bldg. does give the Block a nice character and flow with the Fernwell Bldg.
The Fernwell Building should stick out like a sore thumb.....being the only building left on the block.

Other buyers....? Well they have to make a deal with the current owner....and he surely hasn't been very flexible! -Greed and Power there-

I do think the community made a good attempt to save the block! They need to pat themselves on the back for pulling together for the benefit of the City/Region!

I do hope someone jumps in and puts up the tallest building in Spokane after the buildings go.....but at this point I have my doubts!

I think the demolition is out of the hands of the community and whatever happens, happens!
Time will tell!!

Old Posted Jun 20, 2006, 6:07 PM

I am also hopeful that when the site cleared someone will step in with an offer. That site is too critically located in the CBD to be a surface parking lot. My only fear is that the owner will continue to hold out for an unrealistic offer. The proposed new condo project next to the flour mill gives me some hope though as it is proof that developers from outside the area are seriously looking at Spokane for projects.

In terms of Brewster, I do enjoy his willingness to vizualize multiple projects and think big. Reading the JOB article gave me some pause, however, because most of his quotes were framed in the hypothetical. In the article it became clear that he hasn't even applied for any city permits for the VOX at this point, making his announced ground breaking date of November more and more unlikely, particularly because he needs a height variance. Nonetheless, if even a fraction of his plans come to fruition the area as a whole will only stand to benefit.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2006, 6:55 PM
A before E

Don't count on it. That land is going to sit vacant until Reugh is dead and gone. I am guessing we will here false proposals on this land for the next 30 years as it sits vacant. What Spokane has right now is fixable, what they will have soon will be no different than the vacant lots near the convention center. Actually I think you will see something built on those lots before this one, and the people that own those lots are just as stubborn and short sighted as Reugh.

Spokane's hope is with Ron Wells on the westend along with the Kendall Yards development. And the University district that actually looks like it will happen. That middle spot in Spokane will continue to suffer until the land is sold to people who actually care to make something happen.

On a good note, I have been in Spokane for a couple days and took a ton of pictures around downtown. I will post them when I get back home, seeing I didnt really have the time to do it here.

Along with those pictures I had a proposal idea for the Riverfront Park that I will address more when I get home. I have been thinking alot about theories of landscape architects and alternative ways of using space recently that people in here might find to be an interesting topic, but I would like to flesh out a better openning statement.

Sorry for sounding so negative towards Spokane, there really is alot of great things going on there, I just don't see the lose of the Rookery as one of them, and I think Spokane's inner core is going to suffer the most during this next big build up for the city over the next ten years.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2006, 7:18 PM

While it's not over till it's over...it looks over. And although I'm a big fan of historic preservation and adaptive reuse of existing building stock...everything old is not worth saving.

I understand the Rookery building is an art deco building and there aren't alot of those left in Spokane. However, the building is in very bad shape and I think a sticking point is that it's not big enough to do much with it. I'm actually more upset by the potential loss of the Mohawk, but really, the Mohawk has the opposite problem as the Rookery...it's big enough to be worthwhile to save, but it's not distinguished architecturally.

I believe, if the buildings are destroyed, it will be a one step back--two steps forward scenario. That is too prime of a piece of real estate to stay vacant or to be used as a parking lot for long.

I believe the last office tower built in the core was the now named Wells Fargo Financial Center. Class A vacancy rates have been up the past several years, but I believe they're coming down. With the expected population increases and all of the planned and in process residential projects going on in and near the CBD, the future, I believe, is bright for a shiny new office tower. Such a tower is not going to be built on the periphery of downtown. It's going to be built in the center of downtown. And with all of the rehab work that's gone on the past decade, there's not a lot of viable space for a new office tower right now. If the Rookery and Mohawk get torn down...viola...viable space exists.

A condo/apartment tower that blended in with the Rookery and Mohawk would've been cool...but if that doesn't happen and instead a new office tower rises out of the Rookery rubble...even better as far as I'm concerned. Because having people living downtown is great...but having lots of businesses downtown is even slightly better in my book.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2006, 8:28 PM

We'll stated Crimson. But I do differ with regards to your last statement;

"Because having people living downtown is great...but having lots of businesses downtown is even slightly better in my book."

I don't think it is better, only because after 6pm the business/offices are closed and finished for the day. When people live downtown, there is activity 24/7 and business/offices always will locate close to where people live. I believe as Spokane taps out the market for residences in downtown, we will then see a surge of business/offices rise in the CBD.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2006, 10:00 PM

I think we can have the best of both worlds with a mixed use tower. IIRC a few years back Wells proposed a mixed use building with office space on the lower levels and residential on the upper levels. Throw in some retail on the steet level and it could be an amazing boost for downtown.

Excellent analysis Crimson, I think you're correct that the site was challenging to develop with the Rookery and Mohawk in place in terms of being able to recapture enough $ to make a development pencil out. With those buildings gone the site is large enough for a tower and parking without having to go to underground parking. I'm not holding my breath due to the owner's unwillingness to stike a deal in the past but a blank slate may draw more interest. Of course, Urban could be correct that it will be a surface parking lot for a few more generations, which is really the last thing we need in Spokane.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2006, 10:24 PM

My thought process is that, unless someone is retired or travels a lot, they're probably not going to live downtown unless they work downtown or close to downtown.

So having more office space with more businesses filling them is actually more beneficial than residential because the residential feeds off of the office.

Whether that's actually true or not I don't know; just my thought process.

Bottom line is that younger people will stay in Spokane and move to Spokane if they have a place to work. The younger people who will buy condos or rent apartments downtown are going to be professionals and they work in offices that are in big, shiny buildings.

I wonder if there's anyone vested in downtown who has experience building/managing large office complexes and high rise buildings...

Old Posted Jun 21, 2006, 2:20 AM
Hub for an Empire

I do think there needs to be a range of activity downtown. With people living downtown, it will generate other services and support, which will increase more retail outlets, that will have more variety than we have now. That in turn will generate other businesses. Once business is growing and other business expands into the Spokane area, then we will see more high rises in Spokane. People are discovering Spokane, so it's a matter of time.

I agree....we need downtown to be a 24/7 place. Sad to see a sandwich shop close at 5pm now down there!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2006, 5:20 AM

Seattle has, up until recently followed the model of just having business downtown and everything would close at 6pm. Even most of the Starbucks did. I used to work in Rainer Tower and by 6pm everything was closed. Now they are following the model of Vancouver B.C. and if you have ever been there, you know that there downtown is alive at all times. I would see coffee shops open downtown all night. I was great!!! There downtown has nice tall residential towers. Seattle is starting to follow that model and in about 3-5 years, they will have a 24/7 downtown. Its a great model that Spokane should start to build around now and lay the ground work for the future.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West