HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 6:05 PM

Chilliwack - Evan Road Connector and Overpass | Complete

From the City of Chilliwack

Quote:
Construction of the Evans Road Connector Project has commenced. It is anticipated that the project will be completed in 2009/2010. The construction budget is $38.2 million, including the grant of $2 million from the Canada-B.C. Municipal Rural Infrastructure Fund, and a $4 million contribution from the BC Ministry of Transportation.

The new Evans Road Connector and Interchange will form a major addition to Chilliwack’s road system.

The Connector and Interchange will link Evans Parkway to the south, with Ashwell Road to the north - a distance of approximately 2.5 km. Chilliwack residents on both sides of the Trans Canada will gain better access to employment, recreation, culture and commercial services.

A key feature of the project is the new development opportunities it provides for the Squiala First Nation. The City of Chilliwack has worked closely with Squiala leadership and the federal and provincial governments to develop a land easement agreement that will allow the new road to cross Squiala lands. The agreement also provides for the installation of underground utility services, opening up 100 acres of First Nation land for development.

The Honourable John Les, Minister of Public Safety, Solicitor General and MLA for Chilliwack-Sumas, announced November 9, 2007 that the BC Ministry of Transportation will contribute $4 million towards the highway interchange to be used to augment the budget for the Evans Road Connector Project.

The Honourable Chuck Strahl, Minister of Indian Affairs and Northern Development Federal Interlocutor for Métis and Non-Status Indians and Chilliwack Fraser-Canyon MP, also announced today that the City of Chilliwack has received a $2 million grant from the Canada-BC Municipal Rural Infrastructure Fund (MRIF) for the project.
It looks like this project is moving along quickly and should open later in 2009.

Last edited by mohican; Jul 3, 2009 at 6:07 PM. Reason: Edit Title

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 6:56 PM

^^^ That's a pretty serious job title. I wonder if that's all printed on his business cards: "The Honourable Chuck Strahl, Minister of Indian Affairs and Northern Development Federal Interlocutor for Métis and Non-Status Indians and Chilliwack Fraser-Canyon MP"

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 8:21 PM

"Hi I'm Dan Mack, Principal of Operations for Mack Logistics."

"Nice to meet you Dan, I'm Janice Takahashi, CEO of Generex, and who are you?"

"Chuck Strahl, Minister of Indian Affairs and Northern Development Federal Interlocutor for Métis and Non-Status Indians and Chilliwack Fraser-Canyon MP"

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 8:23 PM
Blazed Member - Citygater

this is a great project for it Chilliwack provides a 3rd main north south route between the city and sardis.

wow 2009? I would love to see some aerials!

here she is on google maps >> http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...20621&t=h&z=16

Edit as of Jan 09 nothing much seems to have started...maybe some Evans Blvd Extension work to the north but no interchange or overpass work.

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Last edited by hollywoodnorth; Jul 3, 2009 at 8:43 PM.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 8:37 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

^ nice...thanks for the pic

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 8:41 PM

There's definitely a lot of work going on. I drove to Agassiz from Abbotsford and back a couple weeks ago and the ramps are essentially completed.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 8:42 PM

the slip ramps south of the highway from luckakuck road to evans opened yesterday.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 8:52 PM

Some Renderings of the project

Last time I drove by the superstructure of the overpass was complete, the ramps leading to the overpass were complete and it looked like the work on the main deck of the overpass was about to start.

Photos courtesy of the City of Chilliwack.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 9:14 PM

Yay 2 lane roundabout!!! lol.

When I drove by Chilliwack in July the approaches were done, as were the supports although the overpass was not done yet.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 9:17 PM
Registered Luser

Man, the Province is serious about traffic circles, aren't they? I love them. There is a large traffic circle at the entrance to my neighborhood of McKenzie Towne here in Calgary, which, for the most part, works very well.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 10:11 PM

heading SB into the roundabout if you're in the left lane looks like an collision waiting to happen. (based on the image way above)

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 9:44 PM
loafing in lotusland

Just went by this weekend. The overpass surprised me... looks almost done! I thought to myself... where did THIS suddenly come from?!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
heading SB into the roundabout if you're in the left lane looks like an collision waiting to happen. (based on the image way above)
How so? It looks like a standard two lane roundabout to me. If you're following proper roundabout rules there should be no risk of an accident whatsoever.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 11:46 PM

A night lift of the beams for the Evans Road overpass taken on June 15. AFAIK, the beams are all now in place.

Source: Flickr - Old World Vision

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 8:21 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
The Connector and Interchange will link Evans Parkway to the south, with Ashwell Road to the north - a distance of approximately 2.5 km. Chilliwack residents on both sides of the Trans Canada will gain better access to employment, recreation, culture and commercial services.
Of course, it doesn't hurt that Stream, the largest employer in Chilliwack, is right at the north end of this overpass.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 6:02 PM

Evans Road Connector Complete

The project is now complete.

http://www.chilliwack.com/main/page.cfm?id=1505

The Squiala First Nation is now preparing the site along the new connector road for a giant retail development including a giant WalMart. More details are available here:

http://www.league.ca/eaglelandingdocs.html

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 7:54 PM
ON3P Skis

Some more info on the retail development:

http://nwaretail.com/pdfs/Eagle_Landing_Brochure.pdf

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure