HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 13, 2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post

@lightrail, the reason why everyone is heaping scorn on you is that the title of your thread is pure flame-bait....
Yeah - guess I asked for that

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
Also, don't forget that if you drive and do want to see your friend off or greet them at arrivals, you'd have to pay for parking. Considering the 33% increase in parking fees, doesn't that further escalate costs too?
just use a expired credit car, YVR isnt as modern a airport as some might think

but really thats what the pickup drop of zone is for.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 1:19 AM
EdInVan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
@lightrail, the reason why everyone is heaping scorn on you is that the title of your thread is pure flame-bait....
I don't see how heaping scorn on someone is useful. It's just mean, particularly when it's several people against one. You may not agree with his/her opinions, but the user took the initiative to start a discussion. I don't think that's a bad thing.

Last edited by EdinVan; Jan 14, 2010 at 1:31 AM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 3:15 AM

It is not a gouge for those with fees, but in Seattle, we pay the regular $2.50fare to go to the airport, no surcharges. In that stance, I see it as a rip off.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
just use a expired credit car, YVR isnt as modern a airport as some might think

but really thats what the pickup drop of zone is for.
You serious? You can do that?

How about gas stations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Political_R View Post
It is not a gouge for those with fees, but in Seattle, we pay the regular $2.50fare to go to the airport, no surcharges. In that stance, I see it as a rip off.
Haha, let's not begin to compare our two lines. But really, I don't think we need everyone taking the Canada Line. Not when it's not expandable. As long as there are those of us that are happy with it, it shall find success. We can't try to convert everyone to public transit. Or convince them to use something they never would have used even if it was free.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:

How about gas stations?
I know you can use an expired Credit Card at the Parking meters. Not sure about the newer ones though. But the older ones you can. I've used a Credit Card that wasn't expired but was way over my limit. But I still got the ticket.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 3:30 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Political_R View Post
Seattle's link doesn't go into the airport. It does get within 400m, though. I've heard this was because it would be costly, especially when expanding south, but I can't help but think that it's an opportunity lost:

In relation to YVR, it would be like ending the line at the gas station outside the airport.

SeaTac, therefore, will likely never have a surcharge, as it's an on-the-way destination.

I think they can really improve the experience by closing this walkway in and adding moving walkways:

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 4:36 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
SeaTac, therefore, will likely never have a surcharge, as it's an on-the-way destination.
Not necessarily. Increasing the prices by, let's just say, $5 on the machines is really easy to do. If you are leaving the airport, you must purchase a ticket with the programmed surcharge.

There are far more critical reasons to why LINK aren't likely to have an airport surcharge...

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 6:29 PM

I think Canada Line has more actual value to the consumer at the airport than Link does, so it's logical to charge more. It's close, it's frequent, it's fast, and it hits major destinations and has many transfer points to local and regional service.

We are pretty lucky to first have an Airport that is so close to the city, and second have it served by rapid light metro. It costs us money to be that lucky, so we have to recoup it somehow, and it's worth the price.

Although I do think travelers should get a little more for $5. I think a good compromise would be to extend the transfer time on the ticket to 2 or even 3 hours, just to make sure they get to their destination ok (seeing as they are probably a tourist and will probably get lost, signage in Vancouver, and not just on transit, is horrible!).

But, I'm sure a lot of hotels will comp the ticket too, instead of offering airport shuttles/charter (after the Olympics).

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 6:57 PM
Registered Loser

Extending the transfer allowance time is brilliant, but I guess they really don't HAVE to.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPhil View Post

Although I do think travelers should get a little more for $5. I think a good compromise would be to extend the transfer time on the ticket to 2 or even 3 hours, just to make sure they get to their destination ok (seeing as they are probably a tourist and will probably get lost, signage in Vancouver, and not just on transit, is horrible!).

).
But that would defeat the whole purpose, which is to stick-it to passengers arriving at YVR

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 10:08 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
Not necessarily. Increasing the prices by, let's just say, $5 on the machines is really easy to do. If you are leaving the airport, you must purchase a ticket with the programmed surcharge.

There are far more critical reasons to why LINK aren't likely to have an airport surcharge...
Which is really the point. Seattle doesn't so much have an airport station, as they rather have a station which also serves the airport.

Seattle is positioning the station as a community station between SeaTac city and SeaTac airport. Even the station name reflects this: "SeaTac / Airport"

If I'm not mistaken, that station will also have buses that connect to it and they're planning on building stuff around the station.

It would be a little like having a single Canada line which crosses onto Sea Island further west, serves Burkeville and adding a walkway to the airport.

Vancouver's Airport spur is a dedicated line doubling as an intra-airport people mover.

The point is, comparing the two stations doesn't work. They are based on different ideas.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightrail View Post
But that would defeat the whole purpose, which is to stick-it to passengers arriving at YVR
No, the purpose is to pay for the Sea Island segment, which ended up costing quite a bit more than YVR's financial contribution. That is the reality of it. YVR can throw up their hands and say "this is Translink's fee, not ours" but the fact is that YVR got a transit line below cost, and now the passengers have to pay for it.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2010, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zassk View Post
No, the purpose is to pay for the Sea Island segment, which ended up costing quite a bit more than YVR's financial contribution. That is the reality of it. YVR can throw up their hands and say "this is Translink's fee, not ours" but the fact is that YVR got a transit line below cost, and now the passengers have to pay for it.
I've tried explaining this to lightrail in other threads and it didn't work. Best of luck.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quobobo View Post
I've tried explaining this to lightrail in other threads and it didn't work. Best of luck.
That was uncalled for - can you try not to get personal here. I'm interested in the discussion, not being attacked.

Do you have numbers by the way to prove that the Airport branch cost more than $300 million. The Canada Line cost around $110 million or so per kilometre (on average). It is two kilometres from the airport terminal to Bridgeport Station. So it seems to me, that $300 million should cover the airport portion of the line. There is no land acquisition, nothing special other than the bridge over the North Arm.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2010, 1:21 AM

No numbers, but I'm fairly sure the YVR branch cost(s) more per passenger - it would blow my mind if there weren't far more people taking the Canada Line to Richmond.

Also, demand for airport service is relatively inelastic and people traveling to the airport are generally well off compared to other transit users.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2010, 1:59 AM

Quote:

How about gas stations?

Haha, let's not begin to compare our two lines. But really, I don't think we need everyone taking the Canada Line. Not when it's not expandable. As long as there are those of us that are happy with it, it shall find success. We can't try to convert everyone to public transit. Or convince them to use something they never would have used even if it was free.
Majority of parking machines arent networked therefore dont check if the card is valid, all they do is check if its a credit card. In anycase non municipal parking fines are unenforceable anyways, if you get a ticket then the worst that can happen is you get a a letter, the letter is meaningless as it cant affect your credit rating and cant be collected. If you dont want letters then send it back to then and tell them that you wish for them to no longer communicate with you via letters. If you pay for your parking and have outstanding fines then you cant be towed as its against the law. According to most bi-laws you cant be towed if you dont have certain number of accumulated tickets, dont quote me but I think in Vancouver its 3. Also once your plate number changes those tickets get wiped as they are for the plates not the owner or driver or car.
And remember, the tickets dont nort can they affect your credit.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2010, 5:40 AM

is the seattle airport station done now? did it open on time?

Last edited by SpongeG; Jan 16, 2010 at 6:14 AM.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
Majority of parking machines arent networked therefore dont check if the card is valid, all they do is check if its a credit card. In anycase non municipal parking fines are unenforceable anyways, if you get a ticket then the worst that can happen is you get a a letter, the letter is meaningless as it cant affect your credit rating and cant be collected. If you dont want letters then send it back to then and tell them that you wish for them to no longer communicate with you via letters. If you pay for your parking and have outstanding fines then you cant be towed as its against the law. According to most bi-laws you cant be towed if you dont have certain number of accumulated tickets, dont quote me but I think in Vancouver its 3. Also once your plate number changes those tickets get wiped as they are for the plates not the owner or driver or car.
And remember, the tickets dont nort can they affect your credit.
Years ago I got a ticket for over parking in station square at Metrotown. It had a 2 hour limit parking. I had gone in to see a 3 hour movie and came out to see the ticket. I never paid it mainly because I thought how stupid it was that I was only allowed to park for 2 hours. They must of expected me to leave in the middle of the movie. I will be honest and say I never even realized that there was a 2 hour limit. Considering the main mall section was 4 hours. So I just assumed it was 4 hours as well.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2010, 11:14 AM

never assume cause that makes...

i didn't relaize they would give tickets there

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure