HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 7:02 PM

I've read this article a couple of times and am still not entirely sure I get the gist of it. If he's suggesting that, should an expansion go through, the city could feasibly then knock down the old ACC and redevelop the land for nonconvention center uses, then I think he's probably very mistaken. There might very well be a point where the city rebuilds the old ACC on its existing footprint (perhaps with an eye towards being able to support more floors), but I can't see the city reinstituting the street grid in that area, or offering blocks for redevelopment a la Greenwater.

The CC unfortunately needs a bigger footprint -- as he says in the article, contiguous columnless space is THE prime reason for a CC at all. So unless I'm misreading him, I'd say this idea is probably a nonstarter for anything other than a rebuild of the old space.

EDIT: apropos of nothing, we were told that the city council is going to discuss and possibly vote on Prop 101, which is the Mayor's Downtown Puzzle (and Convention Center Expansion) legislation at the next meeting. No one's entirely sure whether this is the final vote, but seems to be a watershed up/down moment.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 7:48 PM

Having a reconnected grid doesn't (necessarily) preclude contiguous space.

You could have a reconnected bike/pedestrian (transit?) only grid with contiguous space above it.

The current expansion proposal has talked about keeping trinity open, right?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Having a reconnected grid doesn't (necessarily) preclude contiguous space.

You could have a reconnected bike/pedestrian (transit?) only grid with contiguous space above it.

The current expansion proposal has talked about keeping trinity open, right?
Yes to keeping Trinity open -- I think that's a foregone conclusion to all conversations we've been having as an industry. I just don't see how you can do what I think he's proposing -- which is reconnecting all of those streets to the grid (one way or another) -- AND offer them for redevelopment to non convention center stuff like residential, office, etc. while still having a contiguous layer or two in there slated for convention uses.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 4:08 AM

Ok so they should reconnect the streets, build the convention center above that, and then put towers on top of that.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 8:06 AM
德克萨斯人 y'all

I don't see anything major happening to the current CC with the exception of renovations or retrofitting of some areas. Nothing substantial will happen, in my uninformed and unofficial opinion.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 4:40 PM

https://www.austinmonitor.com/storie...ments-aplenty/

The Downtown Puzzle moves forward, but not really by very much at all. The council has unanimously agreed to study the issue further, with a soft deadline of Dec 15 to bring all further study back to the table. No formal timeline for additional votes or approvals that I'm aware of.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin