HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Today, 3:40 AM

U of I plans satellite campus in the South Loop

Joined by Mayor Rahm Emanuel and University of Illinois President Timothy Killeen, Rauner plans to announce tomorrow morning a project called the Discovery Partners Institute, which would be built on a 62-acre site along the Chicago River south of Roosevelt Road that is being developed by Related Midwest. Related calls the site "78" in reference to hopes of becoming the city's 78th neighborhood. The property also has been floated as a possible site for Amazon's second headquarters, which the city and state jointly are pursuing.

The institute would be funded initially by as much as $200 million in private donors lined up by the governor, according to people who've heard the pitch. Exactly what programs will be represented is unclear, but it likely would involve both the university's flagship campus and the University of Illinois at Chicago and both research and instruction activities. In broad strokes, the idea is to get academics and companies to collaborate on "pushing the art of the possible," said one executive who was pitched on the idea by Rauner. It's part of a broader innovation corridor envisioned by the governor that has multiple "nodes."

Article: http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...gos-south-loop
and http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...018-story.html

SGX opens US office in Chicago

SINGAPORE Exchange (SGX) has expanded its international footprint with the opening of SGX America in Chicago.

Having a presence in the US will enable it to better serve a growing client base in this region and meet the rising international investor appetite to access and risk-manage Asian exposure, it said on Friday.

SGX chief executive officer Loh Boon Chye said: "This is an important milestone in SGX's international expansion strategy and reinforces our status as Asia's most-connected exchange.

"SGX's knowledge of the Asian markets, and the diversity of our Asia-linked futures and options will resonate with investors in North America who are increasingly looking East for growth opportunities across asset classes. A physical presence in the US will also better enable us to develop connectivity with the world's largest equities and fixed income market."

Article: http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/comp...ice-in-chicago

Chicago FinTech Startup Raises $2.1M to Help Orgs Avoid Credit Card Fees

In many transactions between consumers and businesses these days, a fee-incurring credit card is involved. Many consumers aren’t aware of it, but when they use their reward-based credit cards at a business, that business is often paying the associated fees.

For a long time, businesses had no way around this. But in 2013, new federal regulations began allowing businesses to pass the credit card fees onto their customers.

Now, CardX, a Chicago-based business-to-business FinTech startup, wants to help businesses, government organizations and educational institutions do just that. The startup, founded in 2013 by Jonathan Razi, sells credit card terminals, virtual terminals and consumer-facing online payment portals, all three of which automatically require customers to pay any associated credit card fees at their time of purchase.

Article: https://www.americaninno.com/chicago...rd-surcharges/

Old Posted Today, 4:14 AM

^ Nice. From the article:

Quote:
"Given the size and depth of the market, spanning financial institutions, funds, trading firms and Futures Commission Merchants, the US is an important market for us, both for our financial and commodity derivative products," he added. "Chicago is home to a vibrant trading community with a long history in the global futures and options market, making it a natural first base for us."

* Check out my 2015 Chicago conversions, rehabs, and additions map at https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...k.kyJajGMvzhcE

Old Posted Today, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Which paper are you reading? Most of the reporting is pretty impartial, but with the volume of articles they run about new developments and corporate expansions it's laughable to argue that they're "anti-Chicago". They don't go out of their way to feature bad news, and they certainly don't praise other cities or the suburbs.

That doesn't mean they don't attack certain politicians or institutions in their editorials, but there's a literal shit-ton of valid critiques to be leveled at the city and state leadership who are often corrupt, misguided or both.
Maybe you're right. It just a general impression I've got over the years; I've felt like they laser in all negative news, while viewing any positive news with an eye of scepticism. But I have no hard evidence of that.

I do recall marothisu saying that they didn't believe his positive employment numbers for the area. If true, you do got to at least wonder about that.

Old Posted Today, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolch View Post
Maybe you're right. It just a general impression I've got over the years; I've felt like they laser in all negative news, while viewing any positive news with an eye of scepticism. But I have no hard evidence of that.

I do recall marothisu saying that they didn't believe his positive employment numbers for the area. If true, you do got to at least wonder about that.
They have a lot of impartial stuff, but their opinion articles usually run negative to Chicago a lot of the time (not always of course). When Chicago "loses" on things, they kind of go overboard too. Like when GE went to Boston, they were writing articles as if it was only between Boston and Chicago instead of many other cities.

* Check out my 2015 Chicago conversions, rehabs, and additions map at https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...k.kyJajGMvzhcE

Old Posted Today, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
They have a lot of impartial stuff, but their opinion articles usually run negative to Chicago a lot of the time (not always of course). When Chicago "loses" on things, they kind of go overboard too. Like when GE went to Boston, they were writing articles as if it was only between Boston and Chicago instead of many other cities.
Crain's is heavy on the doom and gloom. How many articles were written on population loss before they finally started diving into the actual demographic changes that occurred? A dozen?

Old Posted Today, 4:07 PM

^ To be fair, every city newspaper writes a doom and gloom article about Chicago's population every time new data comes out. Obviously not something to be proud of, but it's not really enlightening when the exact same story gets rehashed each year

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest