HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

700 West Eighth Tower I in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 6:03 PM

Thanks, LC.

Looks to be 18-storeys tall and yes, as mentioned above, strikingly similar in almost every respect to The Falls in Victoria. Weird.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 6:36 PM
Vancouver User

Quote:
Originally Posted by phesto View Post
1 bedrooms start at $460,000 for an 803 sq ft unit. They're actually competitively priced, they're just larger units than the market standard 1 bedroom.
That's not too bad a price. I just sold a similarly luxurious 1 bedroom, but smaller at only 630 square feet and in a better area, for around there.

I feel for developers though... not a whole lot of motivation to buy pre-sale right now.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike K. View Post
... Is it technically u/c?
Here is my most recent photo of the project:

Taken by SFUVancouver, October 20th, 2010.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 7:26 AM
BANNED

Did you end up buying? Was HST Included?

Quote:
Originally Posted by awvan View Post
Pricing is a little lower than that. I was offered a 6th floor east facing unit for $429,900. And to say the floorplans suck is stupid. There at 60+ floorplans or something, and some I've seen are quite good. Still, the stuff that faces downtown is very pricy.

The Falls was designed by James Cheng and this one is Henriquez, this one will turn out better (though they do look similar). Also, the waterfall itself is a joke, more of a trickle than an actually waterfall.
Did you get a bit of a discount or did they all go for full price? I heard that HST Can be negotiated.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 8:40 AM
ON3P Skis

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_lantern View Post
Did you get a bit of a discount or did they all go for full price? I heard that HST Can be negotiated.
I didn't buy here, I bought in James. And no, I wasn't able to negotiate HST (but this was back in April....I think, possibly May).

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 7:04 AM
BANNED

Selling Fast

Just heard from the sales rep and I quote what they said "If you are interested you better get them before they are gone as they are selling like hotcakes and the prices are non-negotiable and not hst exempt".

Looks like pre-sale condos are selling quick....not sitting idle like the older inventory that's over 4 years old that's been on the market for months with no offers...

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 7:06 AM

Pre-sales are doing fine, which is why we've heard of so many upcoming projects now.

Of course, they aren't tainted by the media as certain projects that have been sitting unsold for several years now

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 8:07 AM

Taken by SFUVancouver, November 17th, 2010.

Taken by SFUVancouver, November 17th, 2010.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2010, 6:04 PM
BANNED

Nice Development but overpriced

I took a look at the presentation centre downtown in the Shaw Tower office but it's really an overpriced development. I'm sure that there will be many units still for sale once it's built in 2012. Perhaps if the market continues to fall better deals could be had then.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 5:58 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

What did the presentation centre look like?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 8:25 AM
BANNED

Display centre is in the Shaw Tower

You have to make an appointment and then they tell you to go to the shaw tower. I met a representative in the lobby that took me up to the developers office and there was a room with the mock up and display boards. They didn't have a show suite just blueprints. Nice mockups on the wall (cabinetry, floors, etc)..however the sales rep said those may not be the ones the builder uses and it's subject to change....therefore could use the same one as the woodwards development. I don't know why someone would put down 1 million on something that's not certain but theres quite a few units that they say are sold. I'm not sure if they are stretching the truth about the sales or if they have actually sold...anyway I'd be interested in seeing them when the building is actually up.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 7:14 PM
ON3P Skis

Quote:
Nice mockups on the wall (cabinetry, floors, etc)..however the sales rep said those may not be the ones the builder uses and it's subject to change....therefore could use the same one as the woodwards development. I don't know why someone would put down 1 million on something that's not certain but theres quite a few units that they say are sold.
It's pretty standard fare for developers to say things are "subject to change" or something to that effect. They'd be stupid not to. They can't really change too much though because it would open the door for buyers to terminate their contracts. I'm sure you'd get something pretty much the same as what you say, brand names or suppliers might be slightly different but that's probably it.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 8:19 AM
BANNED

Finishings

From the photos at the office it looked like they had the same finishings as the Fairmont Pacific Rim which would totally be great, a definate step and a jump above the woodwards finishings.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 7:00 AM

my bf and i bought a presale there back in june... i think overall its a good development. but we were contemplating between the james penthouse flats (more like townhomes)... the decision was made for us when the last james unit went. we got our condo for $699 plus hst so total is $756k for a 2 bedroom, 1198 sqft.

as for the finishings, they are definitely not top of the line, but everything just looks so sleek! im excited!

i preferred this development anyway... since flase creek east is going to be a construction zone for a long time.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 8:23 PM
BANNED

700 West 8th

Quote:
Originally Posted by materialgurl View Post
my bf and i bought a presale there back in june... i think overall its a good development. but we were contemplating between the james penthouse flats (more like townhomes)... the decision was made for us when the last james unit went. we got our condo for $699 plus hst so total is $756k for a 2 bedroom, 1198 sqft.

as for the finishings, they are definitely not top of the line, but everything just looks so sleek! im excited!

i preferred this development anyway... since flase creek east is going to be a construction zone for a long time.

Wow! I was doing the same thing actually thinking of a penthouse flat, made an offer and that fell through and then they were ultimately sold out so I was considering this development now too. Is your unit that you purchased a view unit - North facing?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 6:30 AM

^ was james accepting offers for their penthouse flats? i know they had 10k off opening day... otherwise the price was just 769k. i didn't like the finishings at all or floor plan... the only thing that sold me was the rooftop terrace with fireplace, which we don't get to use very much in vancouver anyway.

yes our unit is north facing. we just dropped off all our cheques last week, to my knowledge the next 2 bedroom condo is over 1 mill... i think she said 1.1mill? or there are 2 bedroom townhomes left. she said the development is about 75% sold. even when we bought there were just okay choices... two 2 bedroom condos and a few townhouses within our price range of under 800k.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 8:17 AM
BANNED

They had me look at one in the Northeast corner at the James it was a small 2 bedroom townhouse flat and it had the nice balcony with fireplace. The bedrooms were tiny 9X9 or 9X10 but the outdoor space was nice. The price for that was $629,000 but it sold the same day I looked at it. They had one in the back that was $667,000 and I think that one is still available but you can hear the noise from west 2nd and if there's a building that goes up behind it then there would be no privacy or sunlight depending on how heigh they would build it.

I heard from Janet at the 700 west 8th that there is one 2 bedroom at $769,000 I think it's on 2nd or 3rd floor facing north, then they have some townhouses on the ground level and then the rest are over 1 mill. I wasn't too keen onthe ground level as any patio furniture put out there would dissapear (lot's of transients in the area lately). Some of the 1 bedrooms were nice but over 1/2 mil. There will be some senior residence or social units on the bottom by the lane 4 units in total.

The balconies at 700 west 8th have views to die for.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 2:42 PM

^ really? when was that? i know when we bought there was one northwest facing for 769k... on 3rd floor but it was sold back in aug/sept. my realtor sold it to a family friend. unless they backed out of their contract...

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 8:50 PM

Quote:
There will be some senior residence or social units on the bottom by the lane 4 units in total.
Those units are being gifted to the City and leased to the well established co-op across the street as part of a density bonusing deal for the developer.

Just a suggestion, though, maybe your conversation with materialgurl could take place via private messages?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 9:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by materialgurl View Post
^ really? when was that? i know when we bought there was one northwest facing for 769k... on 3rd floor but it was sold back in aug/sept. my realtor sold it to a family friend. unless they backed out of their contract...

It was way back in April when I looked at James. The smaller n/w corner penthouse flat that was $629,000 was really nice but the size of the bedroom was kind of odd as you could really only fit a bed and 1 side table that was it. They had the north facing units for sale but they were more expensive. The one at the back is still available but it's not that desireable. I kept getting calls in August from the Sales rep at the James saying they would through in the HST. I'm sure they all sold by now. the rooftop lounge would have been great it's for everyone to use (no penthouse suite).

Doesn't 700 West 8th have some similar rooftop lounge for all residents?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver