HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

700 West Eighth Tower I in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 9:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
Those units are being gifted to the City and leased to the well established co-op across the street as part of a density bonusing deal for the developer.

Just a suggestion, though, maybe your conversation with materialgurl could take place via private messages?
Thanks for the information, I was wondering what those units were. On another topic, I noticed there will be a green wall (living wall) in the building similar to the wall by the whole foods building. Looks really nice.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_lantern View Post
It was way back in April when I looked at James. The smaller n/w corner penthouse flat that was $629,000 was really nice but the size of the bedroom was kind of odd as you could really only fit a bed and 1 side table that was it. They had the north facing units for sale but they were more expensive. The one at the back is still available but it's not that desireable. I kept getting calls in August from the Sales rep at the James saying they would through in the HST. I'm sure they all sold by now. the rooftop lounge would have been great it's for everyone to use (no penthouse suite).

Doesn't 700 West 8th have some similar rooftop lounge for all residents?

no rooftop lounge. but theres a huge common area on the 3rd floor.. with an "exercise room".. u know when they say that it's going to be REALLY small. there's also some common area garden.. also a "library" on the ground floor of the east building. there will be a few floors that will join the 2 buildings together.. one of them being floor 3.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 8:00 AM
BANNED

Building is taking shape

Looks like construction is above ground and well underway. Too bad the 1 bedrooms facing the laneway will have a transformer and hydro pole 2 feet from the balcony (not good for re-sale and for health). They should have burried them underground,

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 8:10 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Looks like construction is above ground and well underway. Too bad the 1 bedrooms facing the laneway will have a transformer and hydro pole 2 feet from the balcony (not good for re-sale and for health). They should have burried them underground,
are you cutting and pasting this post? reminds me of another one your made a few weeks back and were incorrect on ....

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 8:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
are you cutting and pasting this post? reminds me of another one your made a few weeks back and were incorrect on ....
No actually i"m not I was going to buy one on Main but then realized it's woodframe and not concrete then I started to notice the Hydro pole and heard about how dangerous it was to be placed so close to buildings. Then I switched from main to here and I was going to buy one here but the freaking pole is even closer in one of the units. I contacted the city and they told me if it's too close they may not get occupancy. I don't know why they build in front of these things don't they realize it's dangerous and omits cancer..and bad for resale. Anyway...Hope this answers your question.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 9:39 PM

Quote:
I don't know why they build in front of these things don't they realize it's dangerous and omits cancer..and bad for resale. Anyway...Hope this answers your question.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 9:53 PM

You don't need to worry about the power lines or transformers within the city

First of all transmission lines don't radiate, but there is an electrical storage field. It decreases inversely to the distance-squared, and it's proportional to the voltage. It's not really a concern at whatever voltages would be running near this building. That's why the high voltage lines, like the ones for the new Mt Pleasant substation, are run underground since that shielding is cheaper than obtaining the real estate for a sufficient setback.

If it was a concern, it would be for BC Hydro as they would be losing energy in energizing the metal of the building that would just go to ground while heating bits of metal.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 10:14 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Can we put this to bed?

Fact Time!

Ionizing radiation can cause cancer / genetic damage. Non-ionizing radiation cannot.
This is why ultraviolet radiation is bad, and gamma radiation is bad, but red light bulbs and the EM fields from power lines are not.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 11:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
Can we put this to bed?

Fact Time!

Ionizing radiation can cause cancer / genetic damage. Non-ionizing radiation cannot.
This is why ultraviolet radiation is bad, and gamma radiation is bad, but red light bulbs and the EM fields from power lines are not.
What about the transformer part exploding? It's happend in a few places where the transformer had exploded. If there's ever an earthquake then the hydro pole and lines would possibly fall into one of the units.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 11:46 PM

Quote:
No actually i"m not I was going to buy one on Main but then realized it's woodframe and not concrete then I started to notice the Hydro pole and heard about how dangerous it was to be placed so close to buildings. Then I switched from main to here and I was going to buy one here but the freaking pole is even closer in one of the units. I contacted the city and they told me if it's too close they may not get occupancy. I don't know why they build in front of these things don't they realize it's dangerous and omits cancer...
Perhaps the sales centre staff would throw in a tinfoil hat as a signing bonus?

The only possible danger is of fire resulting from an earthquake if the transformer is mounted on wooden pole:

One of the biggest risks to Vancouver during an earthquake could be fires sparked by hundreds of transformers perched atop wooden power poles, according to a report from a research group set up by the Canadian insurance industry.

The report by the Institute for Catastrophic Loss Reduction says Vancouver's downtown core is uniquely vulnerable because of the large number of transformers mounted on wood poles.

Author Paul Kovacs said Vancouver is one of the only cities in North America that hasn't put all of its electrical transmission equipment underground...

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...#ixzz18t4wZ3ON

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 11:56 PM
Can I has a tunnel?

You're really pulling at threads here. Those aren't even high voltage lines in all likelyhood. They're probably 480v. You know whats in a transformer? A bunch of copper coils and some oil (probably mineral). Generally when they fail the oil boils out and they trip a breaker. This ain't a hollywood action movie.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2010, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Mackinnon View Post
You're really pulling at threads here. Those aren't even high voltage lines in all likelyhood. They're probably 480v. You know whats in a transformer? A bunch of copper coils and some oil (probably mineral). Generally when they fail the oil boils out and they trip a breaker. This ain't a hollywood action movie.
... best reply ever

if we have an earthquake you will probably just see scrubs from the dtes walking around with shopping carts picking up the copper for scrap

Old Posted Dec 23, 2010, 7:35 AM
BANNED

Realtors say that if there's a transformer out the front window that will decrease resale value down the road. They are asking almost $600K for a 1 bedroom and I'm sure if someone goes to sell they would be lucky to get $450

Old Posted Dec 23, 2010, 9:07 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Realtors say that if there's a transformer out the front window that will decrease resale value down the road. They are asking almost $600K for a 1 bedroom and I'm sure if someone goes to sell they would be lucky to get $450
I don't think that's true, but even if it is, it's probably just cause it ruins the Feng Shui

Old Posted Dec 25, 2010, 8:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
I don't think that's true, but even if it is, it's probably just cause it ruins the Feng Shui
Well according to what I've learned from the city doesn't look like I will be purchasing here.

Last edited by red_lantern; Dec 28, 2010 at 5:09 AM.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2010, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Well according to what I've learned from the city doesn't look like I will be purchasing here.
^^^

Let me guess, he was putting down other projects all this time, and then, in a final reveal, he posts a link to a totally different project? And what, is he a realtor or salesperson or investor in same said project?

Old Posted Jan 2, 2011, 4:29 AM
Dérive-r

A pic I took yesterday from afar:

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 7:59 AM

Photo update | February 9th 2011

Taken by SFUVancouver, February 9th, 2011.

Taken by SFUVancouver, February 9th, 2011.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 8:46 AM

Photo update | March 23rd, 2011

Taken by SFUVancouver, March 23rd, 2011.

Taken by SFUVancouver, March 23rd, 2011.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 9:48 AM

Photo update | April 21st, 2011

700 West 8th as seen from the alley. There is greater separation between the new building and the hotel than I had thought; certainly more than on the east side.

Taken by SFUVancouver, April 21st, 2011.

I took a wide angle panorama to show as much of the 8th street frontage as possible.

700 West 8th as seen from the Cambie Street Bridge.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver