HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Winnipeg's old terminal had a big sign on the air side, I haven't noticed if the new one does.
On terminal buildings, it is still common to have an airside sign as to what city aircraft are at; however, Treesplease was referring that taxiways had such signs. There are no signs as such at any airport; I can assure y'all of that.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Repost of pics of the YXE Terminal, from Saskatoon Construction:
I am loving Saskatoon's choice of colour and design in their airport interior and exterior of the recent expansion. Even though Regina has recently expanded and renovated, Saskatoon International has a more modern contemporary look about it. More in line with Toronto Pearson Terminal 1. I hope who ever designs Regina's next expansion has a little more artistic freedom and imagination. That said, I do however think that the renovations to Regina so far are a much needed improvement and step forward. I am hoping for some higher ceilings!

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 5:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
I am loving Saskatoon's choice of colour and design in their airport interior and exterior of the recent expansion. Even though Regina has recently expanded and renovated, Saskatoon International has a more modern contemporary look about it. More in line with Toronto Pearson Terminal 1. I hope who ever designs Regina's next expansion has a little more artistic freedom and imagination. That said, I do however think that the renovations to Regina so far are a much needed improvement and step forward. I am hoping for some higher ceilings!
I'm with you there. I know that there are big plans for next renovation/expansion. Regrettably, our terminal building is perpetually cursed with the original 1960 terminal which is entombed within. Recently, of course, the 'open-air' second floor was planked-over in order to enhance the capacity of the post-security area. I'm going to float this one; but, the RAA may have left the planked-over portion as being semi-temporary - meaning that it may be opened up again without too much fuss. That would be most convenient, and necessary, to do after the next expansion in order to have a more 'open air' appearance.

Due to my career, my travels take me through YXE regularly. When completed, YXE's new terminal will be a real tough act to follow.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 2:27 AM

To put things in perspective, passenger stats at our airports [for 1985] were:

YQR: 591,000
YXE: 563,000

My, how times have changed!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 6:26 PM
ConstructionPete

Seasonal vs Year Round

Pondering last night about seasonal flights. With Wesjet Vegas announcing year-round flights from seasonal service and capacity increases for exisiting flights from both Air Canada and Westjet, I'm interested and curious about whether any other seasonal destinations will be extended or transferred to year-round service.

I'm under the impression that both YXE and YQR are more feeder airports for the airlines respective hubs however I still don't understand why our airports; especially from the growth from the last couple years, are not attracting more year-round service, more regional connections, and direct destinations to the East. Would someone care to explain why our airports are treated as they are?

Further to above, why does Air Canada only fly to Ottawa as a seasonal destination. I realize Ottawa probably serves more as a summer tourist destination however would it not fit to be a possible once or twice weekly winter service let's say from YXE providing an additional route to the east as well as direct flight for our provinces' MP's? As well I've noticed in the past a lot of passengers flying through YXE specifically to Montreal with a connection in Calgary. So why aren't the airlines providing a second or even third direct destination to the east? Any explainations? Any inside information about route expansion?

Finally, what destinations do you belive can be supported for route expansion whether domestic/international, seasonal/year-round and why?

Last edited by kalin_10; Feb 19, 2014 at 9:22 PM.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalin_10 View Post
Pondering last night about seasonal flights. With Wesjet Vegas announcing year-round flights from seasonal service and capacity increases for exisiting flights from both Air Canada and Westjet, I'm interested and curious about whether any other seasonal destinations will be extended or transferred to year-round service.

I'm under the impression that both YXE and YQR are more feeder airports for the airlines respective hubs however I still don't understand why our airports; especially from the growth from the last couple years, are not attracting more year-round service, more regional connections, and direct destinations to the East. Would some onecare to explain why our airports are treated as they are?

Further to above, why does Air Canada only fly to Ottawa as a seasonal destination. I realize Ottawa probably serves more as a summer tourist destination however would it not fit to be a possible once or twice weekly winter service let's say from YXE providing an additional route to the east as well as direct flight for our provinces' MP's? As well I've noticed in that past a lot of passengers flying through YXE specifically to Montreal with a connection in Calgary. So why aren't the airlines providing a second or even third direct destination to the east? Any explainations? Any inside information about route expansion?

Finally, what destinations do you belive can be supported for route expansion whether domestic/international, seasonal/year-round and why?
I don't have answers for you, but one thing I noticed for this year, is the flight between both YXE and YQR to YOW for the summer seasonal, will now be a shared flight. So the flight will start in YOW, fly to YQR in the morning. From there, the flight goes to YXE, and the back to YOW. The flight does not conitinue on to YUL as it had in the past. So either AC is screwing our two cities on the YOW flight, or there just isn't enough traffice between Saskatchewan and Ottawa to justify separate aircraft from both cities. Either way, it is a reduction in service as they are still using a CRA for the flight, and now Regina passengers will have to stop in Saskatoon on the way to Ottawa, and Saskatoon passengers will have to stop in Regina on the way back from Ottawa.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robag View Post
I don't have answers for you, but one thing I noticed for this year, is the flight between both YXE and YQR to YOW for the summer seasonal, will now be a shared flight. So the flight will start in YOW, fly to YQR in the morning. From there, the flight goes to YXE, and the back to YOW. The flight does not conitinue on to YUL as it had in the past. So either AC is screwing our two cities on the YOW flight, or there just isn't enough traffice between Saskatchewan and Ottawa to justify separate aircraft from both cities. Either way, it is a reduction in service as they are still using a CRA for the flight, and now Regina passengers will have to stop in Saskatoon on the way to Ottawa, and Saskatoon passengers will have to stop in Regina on the way back from Ottawa.
Air Canada use to do the same thing on the Toronto flight many years ago. It was always weird being on the Air Canada.

I did notice that there are five Air Canada flights a day from Saskatoon to Toronto on the E90. In the past at least one of the Toronto flights would be a smaller E75 or CRA aircraft. A few years back it was four flights a day. Could it be the case that they have increased capacity to Toronto and reduced the Ottawa capacity?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 6:14 PM
ConstructionPete

Yxe reports another year of record passenger traffic

February 20, 2014 For Immediate Release
Saskatoon Airport Reports Another Year of Record Passenger Traffic

2013 year-end passenger statistics are in for the Saskatoon John G. Diefenbaker International Airport and yet another record breaking year has been logged. December passenger numbers were up 8.8% over last December and total passenger volumes for 2013 were up 4.7% over 2012. In total 1,389,900 passengers passed through the Airport in the year. All travel sectors are reported strong with Domestic travel up 4.2%, Transborder up 7.7%, Sun Spot Charters up 4.1% and Saskatchewan traffic up 6.2%.

December of 2013 was the second busiest travel month ever for the Airport (124,400 passengers), surpassed only by January of 2013 (124,800).

Over the past 10 years, 110 of the 120 months have had positive year over year passenger traffic. These numbers translate into an 82.6% increase from a decade ago.

In terms of air service, WestJet launched their new Encore service into the Saskatoon market in 2013 and additional Encore service was added last week with twice daily direct service to Winnipeg. “We are pleased to see WestJet return to this market. It will be welcomed by our traveling community,” states Stephen Maybury, President and CEO of the Saskatoon Airport Authority (SAA). WestJet also announced its current Las Vegas direct service will be expanded to run year round.

The records continue to be broken with the strong “sun charter” season. January 2014 numbers reflected a 6.5% growth over last year with 132,600 travelers. As anticipated, the peak travel time over the February break has resulted in the public parking lot at capacity. Overflow parking have been prepared to accommodate the vehicular demand.

2013 was highlighted with the opening of Phase I of the Terminal expansion project. Phase 2 is targeted for completion in January of 2015.

Read more....

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
To put things in perspective, passenger stats at our airports [for 1985] were:

YQR: 591,000
YXE: 563,000

My, how times have changed!
That's pretty wild when you consider that the 80s (at least in my recollection) seemed like the days of big jets when every flight was a DC-9, 737 or larger. These days it's mostly tiny RJs but yet the pax counts are through the roof.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 7:09 PM

I wonder when Air Canada will start flying the A320/319 to Saskatoon again? OR when they get their new B737 Max that would be great!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
I wonder when Air Canada will start flying the A320/319 to Saskatoon again? OR when they get their new B737 Max that would be great!
I think both YQR and YXE will see A319/320 later this year with the removal of the E190's from the fleet. The plan is to remove the E190 (possibly this fall), and lease some more A319/320 until Boeing starts to take possesion of the 737 MAX. Having said that, it might be a combination of airbus and CRJ705's from YYZ once they do that.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 8:56 PM

Quote:
I think both YQR and YXE will see A319/320 later this year with the removal of the E190's from the fleet. The plan is to remove the E190 (possibly this fall), and lease some more A319/320 until Boeing starts to take possesion of the 737 MAX. Having said that, it might be a combination of airbus and CRJ705's from YYZ once they do that.
I am quite a fan of Air Canada's move back to Boeing. The 767-300 is my favorite aircraft, along with the 757-200

Air Canada's new fleet of 777-200/300 and 787s and coming 737s are great! That complimented by the newer CRJs and Q400s is awesome.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 9:44 PM
Heart of the Continent

The only thing I don't like about the 737 over the A32o is the shoulder width

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
The only thing I don't like about the 737 over the A32o is the shoulder width
I guess we shall see how the Max shapes up. I have been on the new Westjet and Delta 737s and I didn't seem to have any issues there. And I am 1.83m tall.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalin_10 View Post

I'm under the impression that both YXE and YQR are more feeder airports for the airlines respective hubs however I still don't understand why our airports; especially from the growth from the last couple years, are not attracting more year-round service, more regional connections, and direct destinations to the East. Would someone care to explain why our airports are treated as they are?

Further to above, why does Air Canada only fly to Ottawa as a seasonal destination. I realize Ottawa probably serves more as a summer tourist destination however would it not fit to be a possible once or twice weekly winter service let's say from YXE providing an additional route to the east as well as direct flight for our provinces' MP's? As well I've noticed in the past a lot of passengers flying through YXE specifically to Montreal with a connection in Calgary. So why aren't the airlines providing a second or even third direct destination to the east? Any explainations? Any inside information about route expansion?

Canada's Tier I airports:

Vancouver; Calgary; Edmonton; Winnipeg; Toronto; Ottawa; Montreal; and Halifax.

Tier IIs:

Victoria; Kelowna; Regina; Saskatoon; Thunder Bay; Hamilton(?); Quebec City; and St. John's.

. . . . . . . . and so on.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That's pretty wild when you consider that the 80s (at least in my recollection) seemed like the days of big jets when every flight was a DC-9, 737 or larger. These days it's mostly tiny RJs but yet the pax counts are through the roof.
There were very few flights/day back then; but, we were served by large aircraft, such as:

Regular flights: B727s; DC-8s; L-1011s; B767s

Charters: DC-10s; B747s; B757s

DC-9s and B737s were considered as 'small' in those days. (Not any longer.)

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
I am quite a fan of Air Canada's move back to Boeing. The 767-300 is my favorite aircraft, along with the 757-200

Air Canada's new fleet of 777-200/300 and 787s and coming 737s are great! That complimented by the newer CRJs and Q400s is awesome.
I agree! Once we get rid of all of the small CRJ's, we will have pretty good aircraft serving our airport. I know quite a few people are not impressed with AC and WSJ bringing in the Q400's, but the reality is they are here to stay on the flights to Calgary, Edmonton and Winnipeg. They are efficient aircraft, that are slighly slower than a CRJ. When it's all said and done, 10 min longer in the air to Calgary, isn't going to make that big of a difference.

I do think we will see upgrades to larger aircraft, but maybe less frequency on the Denver, Chicago, Minneapolis flights, but that is still a few years away. Skywest, which is flying into Regina from those three cities, is upgrading their fleet, and reducing the amount of CRJ 100/200's. If I'm not mistaken, they have the largest fleet of these aircraft in the world, so it will take some time to remove/replace those aircraft.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 6:15 PM

With Fort Mac's 22.3% increase in traffic in 2013 of 1,195,378 pax, I'd bet that for 2014, 'Mac will exceed YQR's numbers and may even achieve par with YXE.

That would be damn impressive for YMM!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 6:24 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention that, on yesterday's NewsTalk with John Gormley, there was a discussion that it costs an average $182 to depart YQR; and $190 to depart out of YXE.

I didn't catch the whole program; however, they were saying something about 'demand vs. supply' as to the reason. Did any of you guys catch that discussion?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 6:41 PM

Quote:
I agree! Once we get rid of all of the small CRJ's, we will have pretty good aircraft serving our airport. I know quite a few people are not impressed with AC and WSJ bringing in the Q400's, but the reality is they are here to stay on the flights to Calgary, Edmonton and Winnipeg. They are efficient aircraft, that are slighly slower than a CRJ. When it's all said and done, 10 min longer in the air to Calgary, isn't going to make that big of a difference.

I do think we will see upgrades to larger aircraft, but maybe less frequency on the Denver, Chicago, Minneapolis flights, but that is still a few years away. Skywest, which is flying into Regina from those three cities, is upgrading their fleet, and reducing the amount of CRJ 100/200's. If I'm not mistaken, they have the largest fleet of these aircraft in the world, so it will take some time to remove/replace those aircraft.
I used to think the CRJ's were great, but they really are crappy. They can't fly in very cold weather or blowing snow. Hey, this is Canada. They are made in Canada! The other day I watched a WestJet 737 depart right besides the DL and UA CRJ's that were grounded. The pilot explained to me the low limits of the CRJ's. I have been stranded by CRJ's numerous times just this past year.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan