HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 5, 2009, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
No it was not a normal noise, i had been on them before and did not hear it, this was really really loud and many people around me were commenting on it.

I have been on many other metro systems around the world and never heard a drone/motor hum this loud before.
So something broke?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2009, 6:00 PM

thats what I want to know!

Old Posted Sep 5, 2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mind View Post
So something broke?
I think the quality of the A/C on the new MKII is 'poor'.
The sound of the A/C was louder than my 15 years old fridge, definitely a sound pollution.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan_kuan View Post
Are you talking about the Canada Line trains or the SkyTrain trains? I've found the Canada Line trains to have very poor air-conditioning equipment... the air never gets cool even after like one trip from terminus to terminus. In some cases it's hotter inside than outside. >.<

On the other hand the airconditioning on the Mark 2 SkyTrains seems to work very well.

- Allan Kuan
I was talking about the new 2nd generation MKII trains on Expo/Millennium Line. The 1st generation MKII train is very quiet and the A/C works very well.
The quality of the 2nd generation MKII trains A/C system is questionable.
The A/C on Canada Line train is also not very good.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Well it is pretty hard to be cooler than the underground train stations!

I was in a new MK2 car and while they are very nice, it had this very strange drone/hum noise that would rise and fall non stop throughout the trip. It started to drive me nuts!
I just got off from a new MKII train. I agree with you that the sound was driving me nuts!. I couldn't take a nap.
However I liked the seat very much. So next time I will bring ear plug with me to block out the sound.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2009, 2:35 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

You people are just too young, once you're 30 you won't hear the mosquoito device that's been installed in the newest trains.

I'm just kidding, Translink would never install the mosquoito device in any of it's vechiles.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waders View Post
The quality of the 2nd generation MKII trains A/C system is questionable.
The A/C on Canada Line train is also not very good.
Yes.. the A/C sounds like it's on it's last legs already, like a 20 yr old fridge.

Has anybody ridden the new cars in the cooler weather? Is it actually the condenser for air conditioning (cool air), or does it make the noise all the time, heat or cold?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 5:20 AM

Anyone notice that the new MK-II's have the destination sign turned off, and the LED map turned off as well? Wonder what the issue is...also, they sound much quieter inside when the A/C is off...let's hope that there's a money-back guarantee on the A/C

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 5:32 AM

Haha, i noticed both of those things! I was so happy to hear....nothing! Also, i thought it was just the car i was in with the LED maps not working (i always tend to get an old MK1 car every time i ride the train, so i can only report for the 1 new car i have been on in the last 2 weeks).

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 1:12 PM

I noticed 319-320 had it's destination and LEDs turned off, but the ones that have been in service for awhile had working swag.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 4:52 PM

I was glad to notice the lack of A/C noise when I was on a new train the other day. Although the "air conditioning" was still on, I guess it's the cooling condenser that causes the noise.

Any ideas how many are in service? Are any MK1's getting a makeover prior to the Olympics?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 1:58 AM

Yeah we're up to at least 319/320 in revenue service, and I saw 327/328 out doing testing. At this rate they should be able to get all the new cars in service by the Olympics with time to spare.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
I noticed 319-320 had it's destination and LEDs turned off, but the ones that have been in service for awhile had working swag.
Not sure what the issue is, but all the LED light on the maps are turned off for all the MKII trains I was on for the past week.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2009, 2:30 AM

Yeah all the new MKII carsets I've been on have had the destination and system-map signs turned off. Oh and the trains are actually quite quiet with the AC turned off. Guess they're starting to put 4-car new-MKII trains into service too.

Snapped a quick pic on my cellphone. The 4-car sets seem to be able to swallow most of a platform.

With some imagination, you might forget that they are 2 2-car train-sets coupled together, and think that we had a proper high-capacity metro >_>"

Old Posted Oct 13, 2009, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usog View Post
Yeah all the new MKII carsets I've been on have had the destination and system-map signs turned off. Oh and the trains are actually quite quiet with the AC turned off. Guess they're starting to put 4-car new-MKII trains into service too.
I think the AC is on as I can still feel the cold air flow. But it is now so quite I can actually take a nap. Either the AC is running in a 'low' mode or it got fine tuned.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2009, 5:02 AM

thats an awesome shoot of the train looks so sleek
also makes it look extremely long

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure