HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 7:18 PM

Rumour has it that Anaheim has signed Hagman, great news if true, though the Flames will still be on the hook for 1/2 of his salary (some 1.5 million).

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 7:21 PM

Maybe I'm old school, but I think a goalie should be fair game if they come out to play the puck like that. Don't want to get hit, stay in the safety of your crease. After all, we all thought this was great, why the double standard?

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 7:29 PM

Lucic made a borderline-at-worst hit. Goalies are nothing more than well-padded skaters when they come out like that and Miller was in the faceoff circle. And it was a shoulder-to-shoulder check. There was no contact with the head, and no sticks or elbows involved. Lucic's hands were only up because they were up as he was skating in.

At worst that play was charging (which was the call on the ice).

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Kinda surprised Nicko hasn't weighed in on the Lucic hit yet. That was one of the dirtiest plays I've seen in a long time. I figure 2-5 games minimum, even though it should be a lot more.
Agreed, seeing another goalie get a concussion because they were run by an opposing player is terrible. What's even worse is nobody in the Sabres pounded his face in (though nobody on the Leafs pounded the smurf's face in either).

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
Lucic made a borderline-at-worst hit. Goalies are nothing more than well-padded skaters when they come out like that and Miller was in the faceoff circle. And it was a shoulder-to-shoulder check. There was no contact with the head, and no sticks or elbows involved. Lucic's hands were only up because they were up as he was skating in.

At worst that play was charging (which was the call on the ice).
They made the right call on the ice, anything more is silly. If the goalie doesn't want to get hurt, don't charge at bigger stronger players and expect them to have to skate around you to protect you. If Miller creamed Lucic and gave him a concussion, then everyone would have said it was a great play by Miller. Double standard!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 8:12 PM
Community Guy

"What's even worse is nobody in the Sabres pounded his face in"

No kidding... even Lucic was like 'and yet they didnt respond to it, unlike us, but i guess they are that kind of team'.

As a former goalie, I take exception to plays like that for he likely could have avoided him, BUT... I am also of the belief if you go to play the puck you are responsible for your well being.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 8:15 PM

Hmph. I can't believe someone stole our Hagman lol I actually literally can not believe anyone wanted him.

As for the Lucic / Miller incident. I'm borderline on whether or not that should even be a penalty some 20+ feet out of the net. It wouldn't be if it was a hit on a forward or defenseman, and Miller clearly put himself in danger (however, with that said, if the puck went in the net, disallow the goal still). In my mind the elbow to the back of the head of Optimus Rimes in Toronto is more deserving of league action.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 8:18 PM
DRINK

It's a good thing that wasn't in Montreal because hundreds would have phoned the police.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
I missed the beginning of Hrudy's rant there. Does anyone know who was he talking about?
Rene Borque. That guy has been a lazy sack of shit this season. He has so much potential to really be a top tier player in this league, but since he signed his deal last year, he hasn't done shit!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Rene Borque. That guy has been a lazy sack of shit this season. He has so much potential to really be a top tier player in this league, but since he signed his deal last year, he hasn't done shit!
Perhaps he secretly is half Russian?

Malkin openly admits he pretty much stopped working out hard after they won the cup lol

And ever since Ovechkin cashed his cheque he's been going downhill.

Never seen a Russian to long term contract!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 8:30 PM
Community Guy

Now this is a game of running goalies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qluq_TVvId0

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 8:41 PM

just got a TSN update text. Lucic is not being fine or suspended

btw my thought on the hit is he (miller) is fair game that far out of his net

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
Perhaps he secretly is half Russian?

Malkin openly admits he pretty much stopped working out hard after they won the cup lol

And ever since Ovechkin cashed his cheque he's been going downhill.

Never seen a Russian to long term contract!
Russians are only interested in their bank account, except maybe Datsyuk, that guy is awesome! Case and point, Ilya Kovalchuck, he announced publicly that he wants to be the highest paid player in the league, and now that he has his money, he sucks. They can stay in Russia and play in that bush league they call the KHL.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 9:26 PM

Yashin was another one who phoned it in the second he signed for big bucks.

Detroit seems to be the only NHL team that has good luck with Russian players.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 9:45 PM

I don't think Pavel Bure ever let up, 437 goals in 702 games, unfortunately his knees did. Still best Russian player of all time (imo). Although his ancestry I believe goes back to France, so that may explain his unrussian like consistancy.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 10:32 PM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1gray View Post
just got a TSN update text. Lucic is not being fine or suspended

btw my thought on the hit is he (miller) is fair game that far out of his net

Good. Lucic didn't even deserve a penalty on the play, IMO. He was going full speed and it would have been pretty difficult for him to avoid Miller. If it were a defender rather than a goalie everybody would have thought it was a great hit (which it was).

That being said, Buffalo is a team of pussies - not a single guy went after Lucic after the hit? Way to stand up for your goalie, guys.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 10:44 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
Good. Lucic didn't even deserve a penalty on the play, IMO.
But the thing is he didnt TRY to get out of the way, that is why there was a penalty.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
Good. Lucic didn't even deserve a penalty on the play, IMO. He was going full speed and it would have been pretty difficult for him to avoid Miller. If it were a defender rather than a goalie everybody would have thought it was a great hit (which it was).

That being said, Buffalo is a team of pussies - not a single guy went after Lucic after the hit? Way to stand up for your goalie, guys.
Technically, anything other than incidental contact with the goalie outside his crease is considered charging, so the refs made the right call. http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26331

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 11:00 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
But the thing is he didnt TRY to get out of the way, that is why there was a penalty.
Not only did he not try, the play smacked of "accidental on-purpose" as some of the veterans call it. He really looked like he was taking a run at Miller. I don't throw around "intent to injure" very often (I thought Chara was completely innocent of this last year), but this smacks of it.

Anything beyond incidental contact with a goaltender is strictly forbidden by the NHL's rules, and for a damned good reason. Goalies can't move the way a skater can. The comments of "he's out of his crease, he's fair game" - while that may be your personal belief, it's never been the rules in the NHL. Skaters are expected to make an attempt to avoid goaltender contact, and barreling in on one at full speed with no attempt to even change directions is a hell of a lot more than "incidental" contact.

Ah well, Shanahan has been more and more lax as the weeks go by, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 12:52 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Rene Borque
Okay, I had kind of assumed that. However, I watched him fairly closely for the rest of the game, and he made several really good defensive plays, which has never been his strongest attribute. He'll turn it around; Bourque is one of the streakier guys on the team. Actually, I'd say the Flames have more streaky players than any other team I can think of (Bourque, Iggy, Glencross, Jokinen, and at times, Moss).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada