HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavelle103 View Post
kind of surprising True North wouldn't be working on this space sooner, to have it ready for hockey season. Unless they're confident there will be a lengthy lockout?
While it would be great to have everything in place for the start of the season I would rather they take the time needed to find the best fit. Seeing the clips again of Bettman at the return announcement last year I thing there were a lot of doubters. Seeing the success over the whole season though likely has eased some of that and made it easier to negotiate with the desired partners.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2012, 4:07 AM
BANNED

FYI for those who also frequent the HF Boards, Dave played a part in getting TNSE to name the team '' the Jets" upon their return.

RIP Dave Kehler aka dkehler

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1208533

Last edited by rrskylar; Jun 17, 2012 at 4:32 AM.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 5:45 PM
BANNED

Metro? Burmi chilli'n last week.

http://instagram.com/p/S6iG2mBd9U

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 5:57 AM
ILYR

What to do when the NHL starts up again?

That is a question I have for the people on this forum. Everyone up for a discussion?

I think it is an interesting one, specifically for Jets fans that went 17 years without their team. For me, at the end of the day I support the Jets. Not the owners or players, but the Jets. So this brings up a difficult question. As with many fans I am rather $^%$^ with the present situation and would like very much to show the players and owners my displeasure.

So the question to everyone here is how should Jets fans collectively respond when the NHL returns?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 6:04 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILYR View Post

That is a question I have for the people on this forum. Everyone up for a discussion?

I think it is an interesting one, specifically for Jets fans that went 17 years without their team. For me, at the end of the day I support the Jets. Not the owners or players, but the Jets. So this brings up a difficult question. As with many fans I am rather $^%$^ with the present situation and would like very much to show the players and owners my displeasure.

So the question to everyone here is how should Jets fans collectively respond when the NHL returns?
I will be sitting in me season ticket seat, simple as that.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 6:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILYR View Post

I've been trying to figure out a way to boo the players but still support the Jets franchise (from my season seats). I'm glad now that I didn't put a player name/number on the back of my jersey and I think it's gonna stay that way.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 6:29 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
I've been trying to figure out a way to boo the players but still support the Jets franchise (from my season seats). I'm glad now that I didn't put a player name/number on the back of my jersey and I think it's gonna stay that way.
See the Jets except for a few, are not on board with all this, neither are our owners, we just got caught up in this mess, it is big owners, with big players that are making the suffering teams hurt. At least we are lucky here as we have such a great fan base and a great ownership. Talk to Ladd or even Buffy, they are not one bit on board, they just want to play.

So dont BOO the team. Boo the idiots that are sitting at the tables drinking it up and bickering over sweet ^%& all. Because it doesn't hurt them at all.

The league as in the players should have been made up of anyone payed under $1mil, not these over paid idiots. And for the team owners, people like chipman. This would have been solved by now.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
Talk to Ladd or even Buffy, they are not one bit on board, they just want to play..
BS on that, where do you get that info from??? Ladd has been on radio numerous times saying the players are getting screwed and they need to remain in solidarity. and Buff has been 100% silent through all this. No one has seen or heard from him since he was in court late summer.

Hainsey will be boo'd and well deserves it. Although I think his contract is up so unless it gets settled, you may not even see him next year. (which is a good thing for the Jets and the $4mill he's taking up).

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 7:13 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
Talk to Ladd or even Buffy, they are not one bit on board, they just want to play.
BS

Ladd was the first one to hammer on Jokinen after he made negative comments about the NHLPA and the lockout.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 7:33 PM
Celebrating 50 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
BS

Ladd was the first one to hammer on Jokinen after he made negative comments about the NHLPA and the lockout.
We're 100% on board behind Donald Fehr

Because any player who says otherwise is shut down and peer pressured into it.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 9:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post

Hainsey will be boo'd and well deserves it. Although I think his contract is up so unless it gets settled, you may not even see him next year. (which is a good thing for the Jets and the $4mill he's taking up).
Hainsey isn't really that good especially for what he is being paid, as the number 4 D man he is just adequate and probably only worth $2-$2.5 million/per.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 3:46 AM

agreed on that.
About the MTS Centre: does anyone know of any upgrades / improvements that we could expect to see this season? I've hear rumours of improved bathrooms, a new scoreboard, painting the white walls around the corporate boxes, etc., but there is no official list of improvements. I heard something about better urinals on TSN 1290, but that is about it.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
agreed on that.
About the MTS Centre: does anyone know of any upgrades / improvements that we could expect to see this season? I've hear rumours of improved bathrooms, a new scoreboard, painting the white walls around the corporate boxes, etc., but there is no official list of improvements. I heard something about better urinals on TSN 1290, but that is about it.
There are some, but its all minor stuff, mainly on 300 level, and general "cosmetic" stuff, aiui:

On 300 level:
- Sound system upgrades
- TV installments for obstructed seat STHs and concourse area
- there should also be more urinals, maybe not in time for this season though but they're aware it's an issue

100 level:
- more urinals
- additional food options
- refined/added exits

In general:
- cosmetic/painting
- WiFi will be much faster, improved
- Cellular reception will be better, signals boosted & improved

I'm sure someone else can add/edit/expand that list

As I understand it, they're pretty good with knowing what they need to improve or where their problem issues are

By the way Mini, something I wanted to ask you...you're from Edmonton originally correct? Or was it Vancouver? Are you a Jets fan instead of your hometown team? If so, why is that?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
There are some, but its all minor stuff, mainly on 300 level, and general "cosmetic" stuff, aiui:

On 300 level:
- Sound system upgrades
- TV installments for obstructed seat STHs and concourse area
- there should also be more urinals, maybe not in time for this season though but they're aware it's an issue

100 level:
- more urinals
- additional food options
- refined/added exits

In general:
- cosmetic/painting
- WiFi will be much faster, improved
- Cellular reception will be better, signals boosted & improved

I'm sure someone else can add/edit/expand that list

As I understand it, they're pretty good with knowing what they need to improve or where their problem issues are

By the way Mini, something I wanted to ask you...you're from Edmonton originally correct? Or was it Vancouver? Are you a Jets fan instead of your hometown team? If so, why is that?
Thanks for the list.
I'm originally from Vancouver, and yes, I've been an avid Canucks fan since I was a kid. When I moved here, I naturally followed the Moose given they were the Canuck's farm team... it was kind of fun to go watch the 'prospects' and the Calder cup run was a lot of fun. Now with the Jets back, I'm following two teams... one in the East and one in the West. I've made a lot of friends here, and hence Winnipeg feels like a second home to me now. Furthermore, I feel all that rhetoric about 'too small a market, corporate support is not there' etc was pure BS, but at the same time, I'll throw my support behind the 'smallest market' (although the revenues don't say smallest!). Like comparing cities, I feel the Jets have a lot more potential and room to grow than Vancouver does (its only downhill from here for the Canucks). Nonetheless, I'll be watching both the Jets and the Canucks games this Saturday.

Seems a lot of people in the city have two allegiances now (Oilers, Flames, Leafs, etc), and I'm not surprised given the 15-year period where kids grew up following other teams.

Heck, I'm pulling for Quebec City now

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
Thanks for the list.
I'm originally from Vancouver, and yes, I've been an avid Canucks fan since I was a kid. When I moved here, I naturally followed the Moose given they were the Canuck's farm team... it was kind of fun to go watch the 'prospects' and the Calder cup run was a lot of fun. Now with the Jets back, I'm following two teams... one in the East and one in the West. I've made a lot of friends here, and hence Winnipeg feels like a second home to me now. Furthermore, I feel all that rhetoric about 'too small a market, corporate support is not there' etc was pure BS, but at the same time, I'll throw my support behind the 'smallest market' (although the revenues don't say smallest!). Like comparing cities, I feel the Jets have a lot more potential and room to grow than Vancouver does (its only downhill from here for the Canucks). Nonetheless, I'll be watching both the Jets and the Canucks games this Saturday.

Seems a lot of people in the city have two allegiances now (Oilers, Flames, Leafs, etc), and I'm not surprised given the 15-year period where kids grew up following other teams.

Heck, I'm pulling for Quebec City now
Ah Vancouver, that's right! Sorry about that

Yeah I have a bunch of Canucks buddies here (in Winnipeg) too. A lot of people I know followed the Nucks seeing as, just like you said, the Moose were here. Tons of people have double team allegiances especially yeah. I liked em, was a Canuck bandwagoner during their cup run. Though I also like the Bruins haha.

I was ultimately a Habs fan during the jets' absence, still like em given their rich history, but once the Jets came back it was like a switch changed all former "fondness" and loyalties to other teams...as a young'un was a big Jets & Nords guy upon arrival in Canada (I didn't even live in MB or QC but I think I just loved the names...colours...major stars like Teemu and Sakic),...I too am pulling for QC to get back an NHL franchise. Sucked major for me as a kid, even though I was young I was still attached to those two clubs, when they both moved. I remember being upset Teemu was traded away and feeling hurt the Cup was won by the "Avs" that year. Was a weird year, 1996.

Anyway it's interesting to see. Love hearing people's perspectives who have other team favorites etc. especially when they're from other NHL markets originally. But you're a unique one considering you're essentially a proud winnipegger yet you've seen more rainy winters than snowy ones

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
Ah Vancouver, that's right! Sorry about that

Yeah I have a bunch of Canucks buddies here (in Winnipeg) too. A lot of people I know followed the Nucks seeing as, just like you said, the Moose were here. Tons of people have double team allegiances especially yeah. I liked em, was a Canuck bandwagoner during their cup run. Though I also like the Bruins haha.

I was ultimately a Habs fan during the jets' absence, still like em given their rich history, but once the Jets came back it was like a switch changed all former "fondness" and loyalties to other teams...as a young'un was a big Jets & Nords guy upon arrival in Canada (I didn't even live in MB or QC but I think I just loved the names...colours...major stars like Teemu and Sakic),...I too am pulling for QC to get back an NHL franchise. Sucked major for me as a kid, even though I was young I was still attached to those two clubs, when they both moved. I remember being upset Teemu was traded away and feeling hurt the Cup was won by the "Avs" that year. Was a weird year, 1996.

Anyway it's interesting to see. Love hearing people's perspectives who have other team favorites etc. especially when they're from other NHL markets originally. But you're a unique one considering you're essentially a proud winnipegger yet you've seen more rainy winters than snowy ones
Yes, and thanks for your kind words! I've been quite enjoying life here -- and since I'm a weather geek by trade, I really don't mind the winters. In fact, the grey and rain on the coast is actually quite boring compared to the four seasons that we get here. I love having access to free outdoor rinks whenever they're available, and can't wait to take my son out onto them (he's still a bit small).

As for my original question... seems all I had to do was wait a night.
Answers below:

Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
JETCETERA: MTS Centre amps up volume for Jets games

By: Geoff Kirbyson

Posted: 1:00 AM | Comments: 44 | Last Modified: 9:40 AM | Updates

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...187421291.html

The budget for all the pre-season changes is into seven figures, but it was nearly $10 million last year. Donnelly said reinvestment in the building will be a regular occurrence.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 5:19 PM
BANNED

I like you two fellows, grew up watching the Jets and at the time for me was the Islanders ( this was when they were a good team winning the cup lol ). My days were the 80's with all the big names back then. I will always remember when the Jets made the payoffs with the Oilers, this was when the Oilers were the top team no less. And we won 3 straight, then lost 4 straight and they went on to win the Cup.

I have always found the old Jets and the New Jets, a odd team though. We can beat the BEST teams in the league, but when it comes to the bottom feeders, we lose. But I always love watching a WPG / Flyers game, always exciting.

And best of all, I scored two tickets for Feb 5th game against the Panthers. And 3rd row no less. Last year i only got one game in, but was cool as I was in the 8th row behind the net, it was a bad game against the Hurricanes but being so close to feel like you could touch Pav and the rest was thrilling as when I was a kid and tickets were CHEAP, I was as some may remember always up in the Mcdonalds section.

But I think this will be a good season, when I look back at last year we did fabulous in the first half, we were fighting for 3rd place even. Then the second half came and we fell apart for awhile. But given the short season, this may prove to be a bonus to us and I have a lot of faith in Joker, and Scheiff, and of course our new Goalie. I just hope they do not over tax Pav like they did last year as Montoya is a great goalie, he just had a shitty team in front of him. Kinda like poor Price does on the Habs.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 6:29 PM

Please oh please everybody stop booing the opposing players at the game. Looks terrible on the fans. A bunch of arrogant, whiny babies. You think it's getting under their skin? All it does is make the city look bad. So boo them and make sure they never want to play in Winnipeg?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 6:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Please oh please everybody stop booing the opposing players at the game. Looks terrible on the fans. A bunch of arrogant, whiny babies. You think it's getting under their skin? All it does is make the city look bad. So boo them and make sure they never want to play in Winnipeg?
I think it's great that we boo the opposing players and mess with opposing fans minds like we do. It creates a hostile environment for other teams to play in and hopefully puts them on edge. I don't think it makes our fanbase looks bad but more intimidating. I don't want an atmosphere of "hey look it's the other team. Let's help them to relax and encourage them to play well". There is enough of that coddling tripe in the rest of the leagues teams buildings. And I hope that it does make players of opposing teams aggrivated to play at the MTS Centre. That means that the strategy is working.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
I think it's great that we boo the opposing players and mess with opposing fans minds like we do. It creates a hostile environment for other teams to play in and hopefully puts them on edge. I don't think it makes our fanbase looks bad but more intimidating. I don't want an atmosphere of "hey look it's the other team. Let's help them to relax and encourage them to play well". There is enough of that coddling tripe in the rest of the leagues teams buildings. And I hope that it does make players of opposing teams aggrivated to play at the MTS Centre. That means that the strategy is working.
"Crosby's Better... Crosby's Better"

"Silver medal... Silver medal..."

Everyone knows where these chants started. Not to mention the now immortal "TRUE NORTH!"

I think its awesome -- ask any hockey player (or ref) how much trash talking there is in a typical game, and having crowd participation is all part of the game. Besides, its no different than taunting a goalie, and every city does that... (except those that don't have enough fans show up to regular season games... ).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan