HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 1:07 PM

Thanks Smevo! I really hope this goes ahead this year.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 10:09 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1gray View Post
Approved:
Two five story residential buildings - The development will include the construction of two five-storey buildings situated on Marshland Drive. The first will be a 39-unit building with construction beginning in the spring of 2011, while the second would begin in the spring of 2014 and contain 63 units. This may have already begun construction, not sure Link
I see...

Well... can someone explain any, as I'm assuming there has been at least some progress over two decades, upgrades the town of Truro has committed to protecting its citizen's property investments within proximity to the floodplanes?

The area of Marshland Drive is actually mentioned in several documents pertaining to Canadian Climate Change, as the urgency of additional investment for flood protection has been brought to the town's attention during the 1990's. With the arctic ice melting, this is raising sea levels that contribute to a stronger Cobequid Tidal Bore; as well, the melting ice reverts to vapour in the air that contributes to a higher amount of precipitation. Flash flooding will be a more frequent, more severe for this town in the years to come.

I think it's wonderful that Truro has approved this ubranising development, but its location is absolutely demented unless there have been dyke upgrades.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 3:30 PM

Not being from Truro, I really don't know too much about upgrades to protection of the flood planes in the Truro area. I don't even know if this project has gone ahead or is on hold. I'll check it out next time I am in Truro which should be in the next few weeks.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 7:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Not being from Truro, I really don't know too much about upgrades to protection of the flood planes in the Truro area. I don't even know if this project has gone ahead or is on hold. I'll check it out next time I am in Truro which should be in the next few weeks.
Thank you

I am hopeful that Truro pushes this trend to urbanise. Being the second largest centre in the entire province, it has potential to become sustainable, as most of Nova Scotia is in slow to moderate decline, with the little development actually occurring in the form of taxpayer-expensive sprawl (i.e.: business parks).

Old Posted Jul 26, 2012, 1:58 AM

I've been in Alberta for a number of months, but I've heard via Facebook that there are two new clubs opening in Antigonish this summer, Split Crow Antigonish, and another place called Club Viva Antigonish (or something along those lines). The nightlife is starting to pick up back home good news for the downtown nightlife.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2012, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Centre on target for fall opening

July 29, 2012 - 4:17am BY MICHAEL GORMAN TRURO BUREAU

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novasco...r-fall-opening

Facility features 25-metre pool, NHL-size ice surface

TRURO — With a little more than three months to go, officials say the Central Nova Scotia Civic Centre will open on time and close to its $48-million budget.

The facility, which can be seen nearing completion just off Highway 102’s Exit 13, includes an eight-lane, 25-metre swimming pool and an NHL-sized ice surface with seating for 2,500.

But the centre’s general manager said there’s much more than just that.

“The centre is more than a competitive centre for elite athletes,” said Jim Lambert. “It’s a family-orientated recreation centre.”

Other features include a walking track, climbing wall, secondary pool, fitness and multi-purpose rooms and meeting space. There will be programming throughout the day for children through to seniors
Another herald story here: http://thechronicleherald.ca/novasco...r-fall-opening

Photos here: http://www.ignitethespirit.ca/about

This is going to be a nice arena/civic centre. I could see Truro becoming home to QMJHL team in the near future with this facility.

I would expect Truro to be a major beneficiary of Halifax's growth in the coming years.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2012, 1:57 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

I agree that Truro would be the next logical NS location for a Q league team, but an arena size of only 2,500 is smallish and might not meet league requirements. I wonder if there is any possibility of increasing seating in the arena to 4,000 or so.........

Old Posted Sep 10, 2012, 12:40 AM

Bump!

Update time for Antigonish and Pictou Counties since its been awhile.

- 104 Antigonish bypass phase one is set to open soon. Phase 2 started construction recently.
- 104 twinning to Sutherlands River has been routed onto the new westbound lanes but is presently still only two lanes. The east bound lanes just east of the river are still under construction.
- STFX is building two new 4 storey residences to replace the aging Mount Saint Bernard residence.
- Pictou County Wellness Centre is still under construction. Not sure of the opening date.
- Albion Place Power Centre is currently constructing a strip mall no tenants named yet.
- Subway in the Albion Centre began construction a few months ago.
- Home Hardware in the Albion Centre should be opening in the next month or two.

That's all that I can think of at the moment, I'll post more later if I remember some more.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2012, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Melford getting warm reception from shippers

By Helen Murphy

GUYSBOROUGH – As the proponents of the Maher Melford Terminal work aggressively to secure agreements for the shipping of cargo through the planned container terminal, they are being met with a “high level of interest” from certain shippers, vice president of Marketing Richie Mann told The Journal during an interview Tuesday.

Mann says the response really depends on the type of product being shipped. The proponents don’t expect to be attractive to shippers of electronics, for example, because most electronics are coming from Japan and shipping across the Pacific makes more sense. However, Melford is getting a very favourable response from shippers of commodities such as textiles and footware, which are mostly coming from Southeast Asia and the Indian sub-continent. For these potential clients, going through the Suez Canal for the transfer of goods at Melford is an attractive option.

“We’re making progress (with shippers),” says Mann, and are encouraged by the interest in the project. He noted that the planned terminal is very much affected by global economic factors. For example, many cargo owners have their head offices in Europe and are impacted by the financial crisis that has been unfolding there.

“Had we not seen the kinds of recessions we’ve seen in recent years, this project would probably be done by now,” said Mann.

He added that because of the structure of the proposed Maher Melford Terminal, the amount of cargo needed for the project to go forward is not as significant as it would be for other locations. It could conceivably begin with only one carrier secured for a certain amount of cargo to be shipped through Melford.
http://www.guysboroughjournal.com/in...t-page-stories

Old Posted Sep 10, 2012, 1:51 PM

I'm growing impatient of this project. They should stop printing nothing about it and wait until there are excavators digging. It's been delayed since 2010, and I'm starting to doubt if they actually will get it done.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISH89 View Post
I'm growing impatient of this project. They should stop printing nothing about it and wait until there are excavators digging. It's been delayed since 2010, and I'm starting to doubt if they actually will get it done.
according to this article, they are going ahead with the land acquisition. That is a good sign if you ask me!

Quote:
It looks more and more like the long-talked-about container terminal at the Strait of Canso is going to be built, despite concerns it may take business away from the Port of Halifax.

While there are always doubters when it comes to megaprojects of that size, the private backers of the Maher Melford Terminal planned for Guysborough County recently gave the go-ahead to acquire the land necessary to build the first phase of the estimated $350-million terminal, logistics park and railway right-of-way.

The first phase would encompass 140 hectares for the container terminal, another 100 hectares for construction of the adjacent logistics park, and a narrow stretch of land 26 to 32 kilometres in length that will be used for a rail corridor to the terminal.

Richie Mann, vice-president of marketing at Melford International Terminal Inc. in Halifax, told me Thursday the land acquisitions are a sign the company and its backers are committed to having the trans-shipment facility in operation within the next couple of years.

continue reading here

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 11:15 PM

Pictou County Wellness Centre will be opening Nov. 19

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 5:14 PM

Updates:

Pictou County Wellness Centre is now OPEN.
Giant Tiger will be REPLACING Zellers in New Glasgow
104 twinning to Sutherland's river OPENNING SOON(If it hasn't already)

Antigonish Bypass OPENED a few months ago
Still U/C two new residences at STFX
The PROPOSED Maher Melford Terminal with forward with PURCHASING the land necessary for the project last month.

More updates this weekend when I go home.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 5:42 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
104 twinning to Sutherland's river OPENNING SOON(If it hasn't already)
I'm going down to Antigonish to visit the in-laws this weekend. This will be interesting to see....

Old Posted Dec 2, 2012, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I'm going down to Antigonish to visit the in-laws this weekend. This will be interesting to see....
The road is now open, looks great and flows great.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 1:35 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Indeed, I drove through there today and I approve!

Now we just have to finish the job all the way through to Antigonish. I wonder how long that will take?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Indeed, I drove through there today and I approve!

Now we just have to finish the job all the way through to Antigonish. I wonder how long that will take?
Not sure, I haven't heard anything about twinning any farther since the Port Hawkesbury mayor pushed for more after all those accidents two summers ago.

Summer and holidays certainly warrant the twinning if you ask me. I've seen too many stupid drivers on that road.

Anyway, I'm glad this section is complete it makes the trip a little safer for the people who use it daily.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 6:16 PM

New burger Joint for Albion place

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 1:13 AM

Town, county reach water agreement: Partnership also includes development for exits 2

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 12:46 AM

Looks like the former Clairtone Plant in Stellarton is going to be sold.

http://www.pictouadvocate.com/2012/1...t-may-be-sold/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces