HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted May 23, 2021, 5:35 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

[Halifax] Robie & May (2705-2731 Robie) | ? m | 2x8 fl | U/C

Old Posted May 23, 2021, 6:02 PM

The scale is right, but like just about every Fares project, it's really a mish-mash-y cacophany of cladding, colours and shapes.

I also can't help but feel a little bad about the loss of those nicely detailed Victorian rowhouses on May Street, especially since this kind of just treats May as a parking entrance.

Still, it's a lot better than what Steele has done on the other side of the street.

Old Posted May 23, 2021, 6:44 PM

Yup, looks like a typical Fares project. As much as I wish they would switch up/tone down their designs a bit, it does look nice in terms of scale.

Old Posted May 24, 2021, 10:39 PM

From back in February for reference.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...70#post9200170

Old Posted May 25, 2021, 2:59 AM

Developers definitely have there go-to style for buildings and this is 100% WM Fares.

It's a centre zone lot and on a transit-priority street so the density is welcome but I wish instead of just copying all of their other projects they would add some local neighborhood flair. The project going in beside this is mimicing the "Halifax Box" architectural style.

May Street is going to be unrecognizable soon. I think every building on the street has been built, demolished, or heavily renovated over the last decade. Honda just demolished a row of houses to build a garden this year.

Old Posted May 25, 2021, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Developers definitely have there go-to style for buildings and this is 100% WM Fares.

It's a centre zone lot and on a transit-priority street so the density is welcome but I wish instead of just copying all of their other projects they would add some local neighborhood flair. The project going in beside this is mimicing the "Halifax Box" architectural style.

May Street is going to be unrecognizable soon. I think every building on the street has been built, demolished, or heavily renovated over the last decade.
Agreed.

Quote:
Honda just demolished a row of houses to build a garden this year.
Just to be clear, Steele has demolished the houses. Honda hasn't had anything to do with it. Steele is a franchise owner for a Honda dealership, among many others. Honda is the company that supplies vehicles for them to sell at that particular dealership.

That's why I roll my eyes when I read slogans like "Homes not Hondas". While it sounds catchy, it should be the business conglomerate of Steele that people should be targeting. Keep in mind that this land they are buying will be a great investment for Steele as land values increase, and there is development pressure in the area. I think they are playing the long game here.

Edit: for further clarity, I made the statement re: Steele above just for the sake of accuracy of information. I wasn't implying that Dmajackson did anything wrong, in case it's taken that way. Sometimes when I reread my posts later, I realize that they appear to be stated more strongly than I was intending at the time.

Last edited by OldDartmouthMark; May 25, 2021 at 2:36 PM.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 12:24 AM

Old Posted Oct 14, 2021, 1:24 AM
hi

Does anyone know whether this project is subject to any setback requirements for potential future widening of Robie (between Almon and North) to add a Southbound bus lane?

My apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2021, 5:14 AM

It is subject to a 0.5 m transportation reserve setback, but only in the not-yet-passed package B

Old Posted Feb 5, 2022, 1:00 PM

The house fronting on Robie was demolished this week. Excavator is on site still so the others are likely to come down soon.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2022, 3:56 PM
Cap the Cut!

20220219_115255_HDR by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

I'm not sure when it was that the buildings were removed, but there they are, gone!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2022, 4:16 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrdeeharharharbour View Post
20220219_115255_HDR by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

I'm not sure when it was that the buildings were removed, but there they are, gone!

Solid architecture destroyed again.

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.6561...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Feb 21, 2022, 1:11 PM

They were pretty dumpy and unremarkable buildings as I recall.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2023, 5:57 PM

Does anybody know the current status of this project? I noticed they have removed most of the security fencing around the site.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 8:31 PM
Cap the Cut!

Driving by today I noticed that the two vacant buildings between Bloomfield and this site are fenced-in for demolition. Perhaps the city wants to widen the section of Robie from Almon to May sooner rather than later and this necessitated the removal of the fencing? ...just thinking out loud. This doesn't address the status of the project.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 6:06 PM

Walked by the site today and noticed there is now orange paint with wooden stakes showing the outline of the proposed building. The setback along Robie is significant so it appears the current plans allow for the road widening.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2023, 3:23 PM
Cap the Cut!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 4:12 AM

They've installed cement barriers and fencing around the site. There is signage that is construction standard and the excavator has started to dig deeper than simply demolition removal. I feel confident in saying construction has begun.

The sign says 2705 Robie Street. That address is tied to a development-only permit for a mixed-use building of 86 units.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 6:06 PM

There is a rendering on site. It's the same idea as the one on WM Fares Website but it's longer along Robie Street, and slightly shorter along May Street. It's safe to say the developers bought the former Coastal Cafe site from HRM in exchange for the setback required for the transit lane widening.

I'll have the new rendering posted tomorrow morning on my blog.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 6:48 PM

Quote:
There is a rendering on site. It's the same idea as the one on WM Fares Website but it's longer along Robie Street, and slightly shorter along May Street. It's safe to say the developers bought the former Coastal Cafe site from HRM in exchange for the setback required for the transit lane widening.

I'll have the new rendering posted tomorrow morning on my blog.
Is there a good understanding/summary of what is left to purchase for transit lane widening along this stretch? Different topic, but I am curious for a pointer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth