HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 17, 2006, 9:59 PM
Gainfully Employed

I thought that was what you meant Joey, but wanted you to say it. Those articles are the News Journal's typical backhanded compliments towards Wilmington. I like how they dug up the old article on the Combined Sewer Overflow and threw that in the mix.

All that stuff needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Who really cares if some of the units are vacant? If some guy wants to pay a mortgage on an empty house, than that's his problem. Eventually, he'll get tired of paying out and he'll sell it to someone who wants to live there, or he'll rent it. When the units are settled the project will suceed financially, which is what really matters; no matter who buys them or what they do with them. Anywhere from 15% to 25% of all new residential project lots and homes are investor or spec; this is not occuring with Christina Landing only. The sky is not falling.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2006, 2:56 AM
I ate your kids. Sorry.

I'm personally glad the state jumps into this stuff. It needs to.

If you're gonna do something (riverfront) jump in fully, and dont halfass it.

In time, I believe everything will fill up, as the riverfront is really one of the few "cool" places in Delaware, the other two being Trolley Sq/Lita and Dewey Beach.

I hate to say I will be moving to Philadelphia, but if I were to keep my entire life in Wilmington, I would definitely concentrate my efforts to live on the Riverfront. I went to Ladies' night at Kahuna on a Thursday and thought I was in a totally different city, one that had never been crushed by riots and white flight, which was a great feeling.

I think full speed ahead is the right direction to take regarding Wilmington's Riverfront.

Maybe one day Penn's Landing will follow.

Regarding the Wilmington meet, it would be just pathetic having 4 people walk around Wilmington on a Sunday night being heckled by crackheads. I say if we do this, we consolidate it into Philadelphia's meet, which might be a more formidable option, and alltogether a more eventful occasion - after all, we are in the same metro :l

Old Posted Jul 21, 2006, 1:30 AM

Just read the CL piece on DelawareOnline. Seemed overly negative to me. Sure there are vacant units being sold by investors.. who cares... they are selling and the development fills up more and more each week.

Why is everything the NewsJournal writes about the city seem so negative? First the series last year about city crime and shootings, now negativity about the riverfront. Be nice if they pointed out how much the city is changing for the better.. Wilmington needs help shaking it's negative image and the NewsJournal just seems to make it worse.

What is up with the mayor? Did he really say " I don't care if they sell or if they die? He probably did... the guy is a Nimrod. Can't believe Justison Landing has a street named after him.

Making a map of Christina Landing showing owners and where they live seems like an unnecessary invasion of privacy. I know it's public record, but give me a break. Maybe I'll find out where the writer Maureen lives and post that on the internet with a map.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2006, 3:16 AM
I ate your kids. Sorry.

^
Maureen C. Milford
125 Edgewood Road
Wilmington, DE 19803
(302) 658-0271

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...29182&t=h&om=1

looks like Alapocas from the map.

And I have no idea what the hell the mayor was talking about regarding the comment about him not caring if someone died. That must have been a misuse of words. I can't see him saying he doesn't care if a Wilmingtonian dies.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2006, 4:06 AM
Gainfully Employed

He was saying that he does care who has deed to the property, but who pays the taxes. Anyone can see his point, the city needs more taxpayers, and especially high end property.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2006, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggpow
Can't believe Justison Landing has a street named after him.
Where did you see the street names for Justison Landing? Is it in one of the articles, and I skipped over it again/ Or did you see this somewhere else?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2006, 8:59 PM

I saw the street name either in Justison Landing Literature or maybe an MLS listing.

I understood the mayor's point but that is the most asinine way to say it. He should take time to think before he speaks... seems crazy stuff is always spewing from his mouth. When is his term over?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2006, 9:27 PM
Gainfully Employed

^I'm pretty sure there isn't a street named after Mayor Baker at Justison Landing. There's only two, and I remember watching a City Council meeting (I only watch them every so often. I'm not that much of a loser) a few months ago where they were discussing the street names. There are only two new streets and they were named after two of the owners of the old shipbuilding companies that were down there.

I used to like Mayor Baker's direct talk, but now it's getting kind of out there. Maybe Blunt will run in the next election.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2006, 10:20 PM
I ate your kids. Sorry.

I would really be surprised if they did name a street after him. Nonetheless, I like Baker. I think he was referring to if the real estate investment dies, or whatever. I really doubt he would say such a stupid comment.

Blunt would be easily elected because of his name alone, I have to say - as stupid as that might seem.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2006, 4:26 PM

Will the streets be named after Dravo, Harlan and Hollingsowrth, etc?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2006, 6:58 PM

I double checked with a realtor and one of the streets in JL is definitely named after Baker. I thought it was Baker Street, but it's actually Baker Blvd.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2006, 10:57 PM
Gainfully Employed

^Not to bust your chops, but the City Council agenda states something different (I only looked it up because I was curious what the other names were, I'm not trying to be a prick). I can't see a sitting Mayor have his name put on a street. It's generally frowned upon.

In other news, Christiana Health Care's Wilmington Hospital is building a 600 space parking garage at 12th and Washington streets. According to their press release, it will be four levels, but can be expanded another two levels (adding an additional 300 spaces) later. It's too bad they couldn't have put the garage in the center of their block and added a medical building to the 12th Street side. I guess the 12th Street corridor is doomed to be a parking garage alley.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 12:29 AM

It's definitely Baker Blvd.... go to the below link... it shows detailed info, including street name on a justison landing condo.

http://pattersonschwartz.com/search/...Homes&sortBy=0

Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 12:49 AM
Gainfully Employed

Huh, well there it is. Looks like you were right. I still think it's in poor taste to have a street named after him while he's in office, even if he didn't (I'm sure he didn't) have a say in it.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglan80
Huh, well there it is. Looks like you were right. I still think it's in poor taste to have a street named after him while he's in office, even if he didn't (I'm sure he didn't) have a say in it.
I agree. They couldn't find any past residents of Wilmington to name a street after? What about Thomas Garrett? Judy Johnson? One of the DuPonts (using a first name)?

And maybe it's just me, but Baker isn't even a mayor that we'll remember for decades. It would be kind of like putting Gerald Ford or Jimmy Carter on a dollar bill; what did they do to deserve gecognition like that?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 8:55 PM

Facade on the front of the WSFS building is completely on... looks cool.

Last edited by greggpow; Jul 31, 2006 at 8:10 PM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2006, 10:22 PM
Gainfully Employed

General updates:

The Renaissance Center has two floors of steel up and a portion of the garage in the center of the block behind the elevator core.

Work has started on the conversion of the largely abandoned buildings in the 300 block of Market Street. The financing was held up until a commerical tenant signed a lease for a majority of the space, so apparently someone has signed. These are the buildings I'm talking about:

No photo updates; sorry, my camera melted in my hand when I took it outside.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2006, 2:21 AM
Buildings that Inspire~

Construction Updates

I took these photos when I was down in wilmington last week. Figured I'd help you guys out some on the photo updates while I was down.

New Additions from I-95 South

River Tower

Blue Cross

Blue Cross

Ships Taven Garage

Renaissance Centre

WSFS

Last edited by BUILDER5000; Aug 9, 2006 at 2:27 AM.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2006, 3:38 AM

Obviously I'm not from Wilmington but the city has always interested me for some reason. Keep up the construction!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2006, 4:42 PM

Post How'd I stumble in here...??

Hey guys, great posts going back several years.... and to think, I read them in less than a day (should have probably been working but this is reasearch).

I'm new to the forum, but you'd be surprized at the wealth of info us appraisers are introduced to... and well before most others (except lenders of course )

Anyway, keep writing away and I'll chime in occasionally with inside stuff like..... Whats the "true budget for Justison's?" Is is true the condo's are going to go for $350/SF?... Are they really building 75,000 SF retail (nope 40K).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations