HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 11:59 PM

Local Bands

I'm organizing a benefit concert later this year, and I'm just wondering if anyone knew some small local bands that ages 18-25/university group would like?

Thx.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 1:12 AM
Registered Loser

http://freecitycollective.com/ (all of their songs are good or at least have good parts)

http://www.myspace.com/terminalcafe (listen to Peaches and Cream)

I've put on a couple benefit concerts in my time, i'll let you know more bands later.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 2:20 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

my girlfriend is friend's with The Town Pants who are a local Celtic band that have a following of university aged people, and put on a strong show. three of TTP's members play in the off beat, acoustic cover band Smiling Politely that used to play at Mahony and Son's at UBC.

also The Dreadnoughts are a local up and coming Celtic-Punk band that are pretty awesome.

i'd recommend Dino DiNicolo who is a great jazzy musician, but he has a pretty busy schedule these days.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 2:36 AM

Black Mountain for sure, they are amazing.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 4:46 AM

Keep them coming guys, thx!!!

I've already got The Latency onside for headlining the concert.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 9:12 AM
I worship Led Zeppelin

Said The Whale is a wonderful, very west coast, indie band.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 4:21 AM

I really appreciate it guys, thanks a lot.

I looked into the bands suggested here.....

Free City Collective: their music is the most consistent with those of the headlining band, i really like them. the question is, are they good live? i haven't been able to find any youtube live vids.

Terminal Cafe: great music (especially Peaces & Cream), but not so great live in vids....not to mention that they seem to be in hiatus.

Town Pants/Smiley P./Dreadnoughts/Dino: they place great music, but the music is a totally different genre from what we're doing.

Black Mountain/Said The Whale: they're also great, but the band may be a bit too popular to be able to book

I guess you could say I'm looking for rock/pop.

edit: dear god is it difficult to find confetti cannons to rent in this no-fun city.

Last edited by mr.x; Jan 25, 2009 at 5:26 AM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 2:49 AM

I like the JAPANDROIDS.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 3:57 AM
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
Free City Collective: their music is the most consistent with those of the headlining band, i really like them. the question is, are they good live? i haven't been able to find any youtube live vids.
Well, it's a charity event right? You're not paying anything for them to play are you? So you're not really able to be tooo picky, I don't think. Make sure the artists can set up a table to sell their shirts, CDs, etc. They played at a charity thing I ran and they were awesome live. They're very skilled musicians and they just go up there and play there songs similar to the recorded versions.

Here's another song by them (Sandbox Song). The last half of it is intense:
Video Link

Here's an idea of how talented their lead guitarist is, just hamming it up for the camera:
Video Link

Quote:
Terminal Cafe: great music (especially Peaces & Cream), but not so great live in vids....not to mention that they seem to be in hiatus.
I thought they were really awesome live. They do fun covers of like Justin Timberlake and stuff haha. I haven't seen them live since Nov 2007 so they very well could be on hiatus.

Quote:
Black Mountain/Said The Whale: they're also great, but the band may be a bit too popular to be able to book
I don't know about Said the Whale, but Black Mountain is probably way too popular to get.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by touraccuracy View Post
Well, it's a charity event right? You're not paying anything for them to play are you? So you're not really able to be tooo picky, I don't think. Make sure the artists can set up a table to sell their shirts, CDs, etc. They played at a charity thing I ran and they were awesome live. They're very skilled musicians and they just go up there and play there songs similar to the recorded versions.
The thing is I want to market it strategically. This is an extreme example, but classical music fans aren't gonna go watch a rap concert. What I care most about, obviously, is revenue generation.

My choices right now are Pedwell, Free City Collective (they are indeed awesome), and the Latency. Not sure who would open, but either of the first two. I know that the Latency will be HUGE when their new album comes out later in the year.

Letting the artists set up tables and sell merchandise....I'm ahead of you on that one. I plan on pampering them with food and volunteer helpers.

We wanted to book the venue for March since last year, but it seems like it won't be available until October.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 6:52 AM
I worship Led Zeppelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by touraccuracy View Post
I don't know about Said the Whale, but Black Mountain is probably way too popular to get.
Said The Whale have toured a bit, but they're not that big yet. It probably wouldn't be too hard to book them.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment