4 CMA has 10%+ change in population

Calgary (12.6%)
Edmonton (12.1%)
Saskatoon (11.4)
Kelowna (10.8%)

Kitchner/Waterloo only CMA in top 20 to move up 1 rankiing

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 1:54 PM

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 1:55 PM

Ajax now at 109,600 and Pickering still only at 88,721. Ajax still a Town, Pickering a City.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 1:57 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Surprising that Ottawa-Gatineau is still ahead of Calgary.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 1:58 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor204 View Post
Canada's Population: 33,476,688

4 CMA has 10%+ change in population

Calgary (12.6%)
Edmonton (12.1%)
Saskatoon (11.4)
Kelowna (10.8%)
And the 5th fastest growing CMA is Moncton.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 2:01 PM

Newfoundland and Labrador's population was 514,536 (1.8)
St. John's population was 196,966 (8.8%)

Newfoundland and Labrador's population has increased since the 1980's!

Paradise, a town within the St. John's CMA, increased 40.6% after recording an increase of 31% in 2006.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 2:01 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quebec City got a big jump but I noticed "adjusted figure due to boundary change".

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 2:08 PM

Oak Ridges-Markham electoral district now 228,997 people.
Brampton West electoral district now 204,146 people.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Oak Ridges-Markham electoral district now 228,997 people.
Brampton West electoral district now 204,146 people.
Those will likely be split into two within. OR-M might even form parts of 3 ridings.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 2:13 PM

Checking the Population Centre

Change of Population with Population Centre (previously Urban Centre)

Population Centres with a current population of over 10,000

Stouffville (ON) 100.5%
Milton (ON) 66.1%
Chestermere (AB) 50.2%
Airdrie (AB) 47.1%
Leduc (AB) 43.1%

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Quebec City got a big jump but I noticed "adjusted figure due to boundary change".
Yeah CMA now includes Neuville, a 3.8k city west of Qc City. They also adjusted the 2006 numbers as if Neuville was included in the CMA for the 2006's census.

- Jean: Mais voyons ce ne sont pas des chevals, ce sont des chevaux

- La blonde: ahhh bon!...pourtant sa ressemblait a des chevals

Last edited by Dirt_Devil; Feb 8, 2012 at 10:08 PM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 2:07 PM

Toronto increased its population by the size of London, ON.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 2:08 PM

Big ten CMAs

Toronto 5,583,064
Montreal 3,824,221
Vancouver 2,313,328
Ottawa 1,236,324
Calgary 1,214,839
Edmonton 1,159,869
Quebec 765,706
Winnipeg 730,018
Hamilton 721,053
Kitchener 477,160

Some of those are incomplete. For instance Winnipeg's CMA # excludes one or more incompletely enumerated reserves.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 2:09 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassic Lab View Post
Big ten CMAs

Toronto 5,583,064
Montreal 3,824,221
Vancouver 2,313,328
Ottawa 1,236,324
Calgary 1,214,839
Edmonton 1,159,869
Quebec 765,706
Winnipeg 730,018
Hamilton 721,053
Kitchener 477,160

Some of those are incomplete. For instance Winnipeg's CMA # excludes one or more incompletely enumerated reserves.
Still, it's funny how a lot of people across Canada seem to always understimate Quebec City...

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Still, it's funny how a lot of people across Canada seem to always understimate Quebec City...
Especially true in light of the census results. I tought it was odd that the consensus here seemed to be that Quebec City was going to fall behind Winnipeg and Hamilton in terms of population, though it might stem from the fact that Quebec City has usually been rather discreet. The city's population growth was strong during the last few years and is set to be even stronger in the years to come:

1- In 2010, for the first time that these numbers are tabulated, more people left Montreal to come to Quebec City then vice-versa (2247 vs 2167). The difference is minimal, 80 citizens, but it marks a shift of great importance. Same can be said with the Montérégie region. Hence, inter-regional migration will most likely favor Quebec City (+ 2554 in 2010).

2- Immigration has historically been very weak in Quebec City but it seems to be gathering steam in the last couple of years. From 2005 to 2009, only 1800 immigrants on average choose Quebec as their new home. In 2010, things seemed to improve significantly with 2629 new immmigrants. From what I gather, 2011 will be a year of record for immigration in Quebec City. These numbers are still small compared to cities of the same size in Canada but the Provincial Capital looks to be on its way to lessen that gap significantly.

3- Retention of immigrants is at a very healty 85% compared to the national average of 80%.

4- I won't go into details but let's just say that the economic fundamentals are very strong.

5- I guess this fifth point would be the exclamation point: I believe oil and gas exploration and production will advanced significantly east of Quebec City in the years to come (Macasty shale in Anticosti, Haldimand in Gaspé and Old Harry in the Gulf). Many if not most of the companies which have important exploration rights are headquartered in Quebec City. The city already has respectable growth but if it can indeed develop an oil and gas sector, it would likely attract even more new inhabitants.

Last edited by davidivivid; Feb 10, 2012 at 12:46 AM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 12:49 AM

I think Quebec City is also much more business friendly and conservative to that of Montreal. Quebec city seems to have a can do attitude weather it is getting a new arena and the Nordiques back, lower taxes, attracting events to the city like cracked ice tournament, concerts ect... Where as Montreal is mired in Mafia corruption, petty language battles, crumbling infrastrucutre, politicians on the take, a lack of a business vision for the city.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
I think Quebec City is also much more business friendly and conservative to that of Montreal. Quebec city seems to have a can do attitude weather it is getting a new arena and the Nordiques back, lower taxes, attracting events to the city like cracked ice tournament, concerts ect... Where as Montreal is mired in Mafia corruption, petty language battles, crumbling infrastrucutre, politicians on the take, a lack of a business vision for the city.
I feel way too lazy right now to respond to that, knowing it'd take about 2 pages. But let's just pretend you didn't say anything. Keep reading the Reader's digest and the like..

Last edited by Robertpuant; Feb 10, 2012 at 4:47 AM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 2:24 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
How long has it been since you let your mind out of the thermos?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 4:51 AM
BANNED

Quote:
We're working on all of that, the "more concerts and events" in particular lol!

I'd guess that you've spent a lot of time in both cities?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 2:25 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidivivid View Post
Especially true in light of the census results. I tought it was odd that the consensus here seemed to be that Quebec City was going to fall behind Winnipeg and Hamilton in terms of population, though it might stem from the fact that Quebec City has usually been rather discreet. The city's population growth was strong during the last few years and is set to be even stronger in the years to come:

1- In 2010, for the first time that these numbers are tabulated, more people left Montreal to come to Quebec City then vice-versa (2247 vs 2167). The difference is minimal, 80 citizens, but it marks a shift of great importance. Same can be said with the Montérégie region. Hence, inter-regional migration will most likely favor Quebec City (+ 2554 in 2010).

2- Immigration has historically been very weak in Quebec City but it seems to be gathering steam in the last couple of years. From 2005 to 2009, only 1800 immigrants on average choose Quebec as their new home. In 2010, things seemed to improve significantly with 2629 new immmigrants. From what I gather, 2011 will be a year of record for immigration in Quebec City. These numbers are still small compared to cities of the same size in Canada but the Provincial Capital looks to be on its way to lessen that gap significantly.

3- Retention of immigrants is at a very healty 85% compared to the national average of 80%.

4- I won't go into details but let's just say that the economic fundamentals are very strong.

5- I guess this fifth point would be the exclamation point: I believe oil and gas exploration and production will advanced significantly east of Quebec City in the years to come (Macasty shale in Anticosti, Haldimand in Gaspé and Old Harry in the Gulf). Many if not most of the companies which have important exploration rights are headquartered in Quebec City. The city already has respectable growth but if it can indeed develop an oil and gas sector, it would likely attract even more new inhabitants.
I think that people in the ROC underestimate the growth of Quebec City because they never hear about anybody moving there. Most of its population growth is from within Quebec or via (growing) international immigration. Not so much from the rest of Canada.

And yes, without getting into the ugly debate, Quebec City does appear to have more spring in its step than Montreal does at the moment. (Although note that many of Montreal's problems are closely related to decisions made by politicians in Quebec City!)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada