HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 6:15 AM

So I've probably followed this forum since, idk, maybe a bit before the start of Le Bonheur Children's Hospital construction (probably further back then that, like pg 42-ish)? But about a month or two ago, I felt there was a hiatus in good development news/speculation. Where as I would check this forum anywhere from 2-10 times a week, I just stayed away from here all together. All everyone was talking about was pop. #'s, state office jobs moving, delta, and often times in a boring/negative way.

Not to say those issues weren't important or interesting (they were), or that there was NO development news at all (there were some stories here and there), but it seemed the forum was getting off the topic of development.

But I see that it's sparked back, and reading all the news about the pyramid, one beale, coop-young, highrises, etc. makes me really excited again, like when 1beale was first proposed or when the possibility of a theme park in the pyramid was still viable. All I'm trying to say is I'm glad there so much discussion about development again(particularly downtown) and not 'flights/jobs' leaving and long lists of texts. I guess I got abit fed up because this is the main place I come for Memphis development news and I had stopped seeing alot of that. I'm always hoping to see a new story or update, whether it be a new factory in Tupelo or a skyline-changing building for downtown. So thx to everyone on this forum for continuing (for me re-continuing) to be so lively on it.

Also, I totally agree with having recreation like an ice skating rink around the pyramid, kinda like the Galleria in Houston (that would be really cool to have).

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 4:18 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

^^Glad you decided to post! We hope you stick around.

As for the lack of development, this is generally why (not the state pulling funds, but the typical lazy ass approach from the City):

State Pulls Riverfront Trail Funds

http://www.memphisdailynews.com/news...t-trail-funds/

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 4:28 PM
Rock'N'Roll Warlord

^I'd say RDC incompetence wins again. Fallout from cost overruns and completion delays with Beale St. Landing.

and xchillx, welcome! I too was a long time lurker until recently.

Johnny kept this thing updated constantly for awhile, and yes, I believe we were all spoiled by that. Feel free to post links from news sources if you run across a story! I know stuff has been happening, so we all need to bring it on here when we can, lol.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
i would like to know if bass pro shops, in general, build relatively small retail stores, but choose some deals that allow them to build these mega-type stores? it seems to me that an ice skating rink would be a great source of revenue for the building. it could be made to the specifications of a professional rink, and then it could have several companies that use this venue for entertainment throughout the year. too, ice skating was very popular at the mall of memphis, and i think it would be a community recreation to offer education, exercise, etc. i don't know if indoor swimming pools are a rarity in memphis, because of the schools, universities, and other clubs and organizations, but would public swimming, lessons, teams, etc. be worth the investment.

i hope that some agreement is reached by the city , wolf river harbor association, and bass pro to build a very presentable marina, w/ nice slips, and a sectional fiberglass cover for all of the marina boating, docking, and storage. the corrugated tin roofs are less than flattering, even if you are looking out the 14th story of one of the best building views to the hernando-desoto bridge
Bass Pro doesn't do small stores. They have a couple of layouts but are essentially the same inside. Branson is the smallest and it's not small. They all have a showcase aquarium feature and they differ from store to store. From the plans that I've seen, Memphis is much heavier on the aquarium theming and size along the lines of the Home Store in Springfield. Little Rock is getting the standard "walmart supercenter" type store that Tulsa, OKC, Jackson and Nashville have. Bass Pros can be stand alones or part of a larger development.

Memphis seems in line to get something other than the rest and more like Springfield with more features but the merchandise mix is about the same at all of them. Heck the one on Sycamore has about the same amount of Skus as the rest.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 4:50 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Has anyone here heard anything about 100 N. Main completely closing this summer?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 6:15 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

^I found out some info. 100 N. Main is closing to be rehabbed. It is also being nominated for the National Register due to its revolving restaurant.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 6:21 PM

^ I wish they would do something with the exterior of the building. It's the tallest yet one of the saddest looking buildings (IMO). At the very least, maybe we'll some sort of illuminated signage or icon at the top where the UP logo once was.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 6:50 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSRJ View Post
^ I wish they would do something with the exterior of the building. It's the tallest yet one of the saddest looking buildings (IMO). At the very least, maybe we'll some sort of illuminated signage or icon at the top where the UP logo once was.
I certainly think so. The restaurant is one of the main reasons the building is being nominated for the National Register, so there should be a decent amount of federal funds to put toward the rehabilitation of the restaurant. If anything I expect a slightly new lighting scheme.

However, to keep those funds, the building can't drastically change from what it originally was designed. Since the UP sign was illuminated, there's the possibility that some other type of signage can be used there in the same size and manner as the original.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
^I found out some info. 100 N. Main is closing to be rehabbed. It is also being nominated for the National Register due to its revolving restaurant.
Very interesting & great news.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 10:18 PM

GREAT news!!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 11:21 PM
Rock'N'Roll Warlord

Sounds really strange. Isn't there a glut of office space downtown? I'm not sure 100 N. Main was even that full... "Closing for rehab" always leaves me suspicious. But, I'm not in the know either, so I hope the right players are behind it. I would love to see it refurbished.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2013, 1:37 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomJ View Post
Sounds really strange. Isn't there a glut of office space downtown? I'm not sure 100 N. Main was even that full... "Closing for rehab" always leaves me suspicious. But, I'm not in the know either, so I hope the right players are behind it. I would love to see it refurbished.
I'm thinking the same thing, but there are a few things to consider.

1. 100 N. Main is only 20% full, which will allow the owners/developers to begin the process of the rehab without a ton of leases being broken.

2. While there isn't a high demand for office space, there isn't much class A new space at all downtown. For businesses wanting to relocate downtown this is a major issue, therefore they are occupying office space out east in office parks. Which ever developer who can provide adequate space downtown will make their investment back, IMO.

3. 100 N. Main can get government funding that other developments or new proposals can't due to its attempt to be put on the NR.

Unfortunately, I don't know who the developers are, which firms are being considered for the design, or the overall funding; so for now, consider this as nothing more than message board talk. I haven't even heard enough about this to say "I'm so and so percent sure this will happen...", but it is good to know the planning and overall process of the rehab is underway.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2013, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
I'm thinking the same thing, but there are a few things to consider.

1. 100 N. Main is only 20% full, which will allow the owners/developers to begin the process of the rehab without a ton of leases being broken.

2. While there isn't a high demand for office space, there isn't much class A new space at all downtown. For businesses wanting to relocate downtown this is a major issue, therefore they are occupying office space out east in office parks. Which ever developer who can provide adequate space downtown will make their investment back, IMO.

3. 100 N. Main can get government funding that other developments or new proposals can't due to its attempt to be put on the NR.

Unfortunately, I don't know who the developers are, which firms are being considered for the design, or the overall funding; so for now, consider this as nothing more than message board talk. I haven't even heard enough about this to say "I'm so and so percent sure this will happen...", but it is good to know the planning and overall process of the rehab is underway.
I was just thinking about 100 North Main a few days ago in regards to bringing life back into that building and thought it would've been a great location for the state of Tennessee to relocate its offices while remaining adjacent to the Civic Plaza area, and this is the first time I've heard about any attempts to rehab the entire tower for National Register purposes.

Speaking of which, does anyone know what sort of design limitations there are in terms of NRHP criteria? If it means the entire building cannot be altered from its original design, then I see that being a bit of a problem in terms of modifying areas such as the entrances at ground level and the parking garage at the base of the tower, which are both in need of modern updates even if the tower portion isn't touched on the outside.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2013, 4:15 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Owen View Post
I was just thinking about 100 North Main a few days ago in regards to bringing life back into that building and thought it would've been a great location for the state of Tennessee to relocate its offices while remaining adjacent to the Civic Plaza area, and this is the first time I've heard about any attempts to rehab the entire tower for National Register purposes.

Speaking of which, does anyone know what sort of design limitations there are in terms of NRHP criteria? If it means the entire building cannot be altered from its original design, then I see that being a bit of a problem in terms of modifying areas such as the entrances at ground level and the parking garage at the base of the tower, which are both in need of modern updates even if the tower portion isn't touched on the outside.
The revolving restaurant is the only portion of the tower that is being nominated to be placed on the National Register (one of the only of its type that still works). The tower itself won't be nominated from what I understand. I could be wrong, but there is nothing that makes the tower worthy of nominating (nothing design wise, no prominent tenants that are historically significant to Memphis' history, no famous people worked there, etc., but generally something can be found to make a case for any structure that's 50 years old).

As far as design limitations, the redesign of the tower's facade if there is one will have to fall under Main Street's design guidelines. If you want to look those up, they should be on the Downtown Memphis Commission's website.

Furthermore, the only thing that should be affected by the design guidelines is the base of the tower since it will still need to meet Main Street's guidelines and not necessarily keep its original design since the tower isn't being nominated (once again my understanding is just the restaurant). This will be something that the DMC will debate; think of this: Will the new design of the tower take away anything from the historic context of Main? IMO this shouldn't be an issue. For instance, the DMC has guidelines on signage downtown (no obnoxious overly large neon signs or flashing signs that don't have a historic purpose), however, signage such as IBANK's signage was allowed because the light pollution is so high above ground it doesn't bother Main Street. (This same issue is what DMC has with Bass Pro's signage on the Pyramid.) SO, if a redesign of the facade is proposed and its not overly taking away from the original context of the building it shouldn't be an option, this is the same case with the Chisca which will have some modern features while still showing its historic nature.

If you guys have any other questions just ask. Dealing with issues like this are more up my alley, I've written some NR nominations as well as worked on issues with historic preservation in the past.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2013, 6:40 AM

if the city had more vision like the project on the 2 jefferson avenue buildings, an urban planner would be able to see the former proposal of the front street property, which, according to ark, was to be the archimania firm's space for their new firm. i love the way it is, office or residential, but should it ever turn out to be offices, i think about eight of these would be really descent looking connected to a center building. i really do like this look, and i like where it was originally proposed. downtown, imo, needs some of these quirky structures and even some cottages---instead of fishing cabins. maybe we could build a cobblestone visitor's center where the former location of the silos and memphis sign were located, lol.

Last edited by kingchef; Jun 23, 2013 at 11:37 PM.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2013, 6:51 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

^Adding to what you said chef, I'm socked at the lack of smaller infill projects in Memphis, not just downtown, but in the more urban areas, Midtown, the Pinch, etc. How many parking lots are downtown that have 10-20 parking spots? That's one major thing that is prohibiting a lot of neighborhoods or individual blocks from reaching their full potential. Outside developers aren't necessarily interested in purchasing these lots to develop infill mainly due to the fact that no one here in Memphis has taken a step to do that.

Is there anyone here that follows the Delta Does Memphis group on Facebook? Some of the comments on there are unreal. I'm guessing most of the people that are posting there don't actually fly; whether that be occasionally or frequently. When I see comments like "Citizens of Memphis should completely boycott MEM..." it drives me up a wall. People will bitch all day about the lack of flights, then consider boycotting the airport to solve that. Do they not understand that airlines add flights based on demand??

I also don't understand people saying they'll drive to BNA or LIT to save $100 on 1 flight. With gas, parking, etc, that just seems like a waste to me. BNA is a little different for me since my parents live closer to Nashville than Memphis and if I need them to they can take me to the airport, but its still somewhat of an inconvenience for them if its during the week.

I'm cheap, so I'm not going to bitch about having to connect in another city to get to my final destination, especially when I'm going to come out with anywhere from 500-1000 more flyer miles in the process, but then again I'm only in my mid 20's without a wife or kids, so I have an hour or two to kill waiting on a connecting flight that many people probably don't.

Anyways, I'm done ranting...just some good Sunday afternoon conversation.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 12:13 AM

again, ark points out the obvious to most citizens, but leadership doesn't seem to grasp the idea of wasted blocks, grounds, businesses, etc. we have all of these tiny parking spaces in way too many places in downtown and midtown. when i go to visit friends in midtown---heaven forbid, an invitation to a large party---parking is usually a nightmare. cox, mcclean, and many of the off streets near poplar ave are terrible. then you read about those who go through the roof about any proposals to build a 7-8 level parking garage. there is an article in the forum now that discusses the changes that have been made to make parking garages more attractive---one e.g. i think refers to a b'ham picture. i thought it was on the west side of downtown uab, but someone pointed out that i was incorrect, and they named the actual location. at any rate, homewood, a suburb of b'ham, has some recently completed projects that are civic in nature, and they are very attractive, the same in beautiful mountain brook. my point, and my alignment w/ ark on these issues, is really valid and sensible. it really bothers me to look across from 201 poplar and see so much wasted ground, but you see so many trying to locate parking. why not put retail or office in some of that particular space, and build a paring garage that accommodates several hundred cars. it bothers me to see retail possibilities take a back seat to the little group of investors that band together and put up one that is usually too small and bound to be overly priced.

what happened to the 2007 or earlier drawings of infill (I think I brought this up a few weeks ago), in which signage, pretty towers, etc. one could easily use some of these wasted or poorly utilized ground spaces to build small cafes, descent-looking permanent information centers. these could be placed in strategic places throughout downtown and midtown, and they could offer magazines, reading materials and other reading aides, gum, tv guides, and so on, and so forth. this could cause some to be annoyed; however, i am just trying to point out some of the things that could be created. even, bike rentals, bike parking for certain sections of downtown. if we can waste so much time arguing over park names, then we could move towards some public discussion on what the public might like to have available as they walk, run, ride or get around throughout the city. ***this computer keyboard types out fine, most of the time, however; it suddenly begins skipping letters. it isn't my computer, but i have had some trouble w/ it in the past, after the owner spilled a small amount of brownie crumbs onto the board. i ended up cleaning it w/ pressurized air, but it is becoming a real problem. i just read my last post, and i realized how much.

nevertheless, there seems to be so much wasted space, but when proposals are made that require entrances and exits, delivery areas, the building itself, parking, and other code requirements or restrictions, i see some of the first comments have to do w/ limited space here, and limited space here, there, etc. it seems to me that space, if class A office is so limited and needed to attract corporate and other business, then an immediate plan would be drawn up and implemented. seemingly, however, the problem remains, and no solution for the future. another point, why not consider increasing density by really careful placement of buildings and the ht of those buildings. i believe lebonheur prepared its' tower for additional vertical rise, but it seems that memphis sticks to the 8,9,12, 14, and the memphis "empire" building of 16 stories. again, that only leads our pretty downtown to looking at a static block. i sort of thought the bioresearch center would add to the eastern side of downtown. if lucky, i think the old 21 story holiday inn is going to be the established ht. i can't help but visualize how nice a 32 story glass and steel tower would be, instead of the 4 eight story buildings. i miss the beauty and strength of the old baptist central hospital. oh well! as for the new logo redraw of the pyramid, it has become drab. bringing green sod walls up to where the eye should not be is not flattering. it takes away from the windows, which helped break up some of the surface area. the inclinator and the cone also are purposed elements for the eye, also: not only something of necessity. the log entrance doesn't work against the steel, and i just don't think a professional consultant (a time when one should have been used---less is more.) disappointing. yet, if infill is to be worked on for the north memphis and pinch district, the new plan proposed about two weeks ago will give the city up to 25 years to get it right. maybe, by then, a national search can be mandated, by law, to find a city manager or mayor.

Last edited by kingchef; Jun 24, 2013 at 12:50 AM.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 10:56 PM

"the 'nashville-obama' scandal". a buddy referred me to this article, which he had read and shared w/ several friends and business associates, who happen to live in and around boston, though he was reared in humphreys county, tn. he was really shocked by what was written, especially because of the constant news coverage nationally by all major news outlets. memphis was thoroughly covered for days and weeks. though memphis suffered limited damage, it and the metro came out alright. this kind of reaction by the people of nashville-davidson-franklin-murfreesboro may be the exact reason tn gets the negative attention it gets, if it gets any national attention at all. i don't care for obama, but this reflects on all tn---embarrassing, and, to be truthful, it pretty much sums up the mindset and over-blown self perception of the greater nashville-davison county area. i don't think that christians should be targeted and blamed, but this writer and the local news outlets of that area are "black-eyed" for a good while on this one. recently, i read another "rave" about this very same area. the specific subject concerned growth. apparently, printed in the nashville based, tennessean. again, unflattering to the state.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2013, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
"the 'nashville-obama' scandal". a buddy referred me to this article, which he had read and shared w/ several friends and business associates, who happen to live in and around boston, though he was reared in humphreys county, tn. he was really shocked by what was written, especially because of the constant news coverage nationally by all major news outlets. memphis was thoroughly covered for days and weeks. though memphis suffered limited damage, it and the metro came out alright. this kind of reaction by the people of nashville-davidson-franklin-murfreesboro may be the exact reason tn gets the negative attention it gets, if it gets any national attention at all. i don't care for obama, but this reflects on all tn---embarrassing, and, to be truthful, it pretty much sums up the mindset and over-blown self perception of the greater nashville-davison county area. i don't think that christians should be targeted and blamed, but this writer and the local news outlets of that area are "black-eyed" for a good while on this one. recently, i read another "rave" about this very same area. the specific subject concerned growth. apparently, printed in the nashville based, tennessean. again, unflattering to the state.
Drunk posting again?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2013, 7:34 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

There has been more progress made on the cladding for the expansion tower at St. Jude as well as the parking garage at Overton Square so I'll take some update photos this afternoon. I'll try to get the new UT building at Union and Manassas too.

I thought construction on the Hatiloo theater was a go, but the other day I noticed that the fence surrounding the property was taken down Monday. That fence might have just been a staging area for equipment, etc. for the parking garage though. I'll see what I can find out.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations