HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 2:28 AM
Denver

Shitty ass RTD has cut service on the D line to once every half hour during none peak times and has eliminated service after 9pm entirely. This forces everyone to transfer to the C line and results in overcrowded D trains that rarely run. I always advocated in favor of increasing C line service but cutting the D line to improve C service is an idiotic decision.

I’m going to start driving downtown and paying the 6 bucks to park at my office. Fuck this nonsense

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 3:30 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

The best part is they haven’t updated the digital boards to reflect the new schedule. (They’ve put up new print schedules... sans L service... but who looks at those?). Anyways, so we had a whole conversation with a platform full of people downtown Sunday night who didn’t believe me the D train on the board wasn’t coming. And that they were actually on 1-hour headways. We waited to be proven right, and when the train came off the board having never arrived, I was ready to grab the cheap Uber before 40 other people scattered to do the same thing.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 5:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventwenty View Post
This all about politics meaning the November elections and specifically about the governorship race. The business community including many of the Chambers likes what they hear but nobody really expects SB1 to pass. A few Chambers and AGC prefer asking the voters for tax increases to pay back any bonding which would also leave more room for maintenance needs. But Republicans have Dems in a bit of a box when they say no new taxes are needed and according to their plan they're right.

The legislature will settle on increased transportation funding through the next fiscal year and then... "it's see you in November."

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 6:31 AM

LOL, somehow I double-posted so this one is a nvm.

Last edited by TakeFive; Jan 17, 2018 at 7:05 AM.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
But that point's not super relevant to the quality of what gets built, except to the extent that cities are influenced by federal design guidelines. The various criticisms and praises are all still true. And if we don't talk about them, we don't learn to do things better over time.
Fair enough and while I do respect your professional background and experience (srsly), the advantage I've got over number crunchers who draw short-term conclusions, is that even after a decade of absence I still know Denver like the back of my hand. Hint: number crunchers use static historical facts including the NBA for example but they're not very good with dynamics nor predicting the future and they are too easily manipulated and cherry-picked.

Let's summarize in the order of project construction.

The SE Corridor T-REX project (aided by Wikipedia:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transp...ansion_Project)
Quote:
It's considered by some to be one of the most successful transportation upgrade projects in the United States.[2][3][4][5] It also received a National Design-Build Award from the Design-Build Institute of America.[6] The T-REX project finished 3.2% under its $1.67B budget and 22 months ahead of schedule in 2006[7] and is considered to be an example of inter-governmental agency cooperation for transportation projects for North America and Worldwide. Stakeholders have been recognized nationally and internationally for its success, including quality management.[8]
Voters approved of both light rail and road projects in 1999. Running light rail in this corridor seemed like a no-brainer decision for the future. Light rail cost about a $billion more than the road expansion (about $42 million per mile IIRC). It has its design weaknesses but the idea of adding another 20-25% to the project costs was not viable at that time. Denver is hardly the only place where the ideal is constrained by financial realities.

SE Denver had always been the favored part of the city as it developed and was well-planned with a mix of starter-home neighborhoods, middle-income neighborhoods as well as areas of high density including both apartments and condos. This development occurred especially east of I-25 according to Denver city boundaries. Running light rail through SE Denver and the heart of DTC only made sense as did extending it out to Douglas Co. A lot of power and influence (and votes) lives within DougCo.

Ridership continues to climb but there remains first and last-mile issues that need and can be mitigated.

The West or W Line
While taking advantage of existing (abandoned freight) ROW the W Line follows a non-freeway path generally along 13th Ave which is only 2 blocks south of West Colfax Ave until it gets to the Federal Center. The Federal Center got a whole new masterplan with the Feds deciding to sell off significant land to the private sector for redevelopment. The fact that much of that is still 5 years off from groundbreaking is just the way things go but it's still very much alive. They could have stopped the line at the Federal Center but Golden has the Colorado School of Mines, Coors Brewing and the Taj Mahal. Considering the time value of money, the fact that they single-tracked it out to Golden to save money plus the ever-present politics made building that section now the only sensible decision. Denver is hardly the only place to save costs by utilizing existing ROW

The A Line Train to the Planes
No explanation or justification is needed.

Next up the A, G and N Lines.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 3:31 PM
cities|transit|croissants

OK but you're debating points that I've consistently agreed with. Every criticism we ever make of Denver's light rail is prefaced on the caveat that the political reality was the political reality. How many times do I have to say this before you stop repeating it to me as though I disagree?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 4:52 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottk View Post
I’m going to start driving downtown and paying the 6 bucks to park at my office. Fuck this nonsense
If your office offers $6 all-day parking you should jump all over that shit. That's a phenomenal rate as the most of the satellite lots are now at $8/day.

I must say that the L Line has been nice so far as it actually keeps to a schedule versus the old shitty D Line to 30th & Downing that was always off.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 9:00 PM

Outstanding Achievement Awards for Best Transit Investments - over the last decade are now being tabulated and determined.

So far, one city has been designated as a Platinum level winner and one city has attained Gold level status. Whether there will be any Silver winners is still being analyzed. There will also be a number of 'attaboys' handed out. (Oh boy)

The Rules:
  • The original Big Six transit cities did not qualify for this competition.
  • Only cities that needed voter approval qualified (Sorry Portland; you may still receive an attaboy though)
  • Size matters but an emphasis was put on Return on Investment

Could be highly entertaining (or not).

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 10:14 PM

You got a link to that?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
You got a link to that?
Ofc I do... but hurry back.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 9:02 PM

Not sure if this was posted already, but its a good read.

https://www.citylab.com/transportati...-pains/544472/

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 9:59 PM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

One of the most serious challenges to the I-70 project is nearly dead

From the sounds of it, Zeppelin is not going to appeal and will try to litigate through the ballot box.

"Of course you're right." Cirrus

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 11:30 PM
Landbarge Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventwenty View Post
One of the most serious challenges to the I-70 project is nearly dead

From the sounds of it, Zeppelin is not going to appeal and will try to litigate through the ballot box.
What is Kyle Zeppelin's end game? Does he even know anymore? I mean are they trying to dismantle I-70 altogether? Keep the viaduct and let it rot? Force a move to some other route that would itself require years of planning and have other impacts that he doesn't care about because they won't personally affect him?

Maybe I'm just mad because I know a ballot initiative would probably be successful because there are a lot of Denver Sentimentalists and Boulderish Pseudo-environmentalists here - Both will happily vote for anything that prevents new development or investment, one because they misunderstand the effects of newcomers and lack of housing supply on costs and the others because they (like 70s Boulderites) believe that not letting people move to the city will magically prevent those people from building anywhere, thereby preserving their pristine backpacking and glamping grounds. Sabotaging transit projects attracts both of these groups like hot trash draws raccoons. They are the ones that voted for a green roof initiative that was all idea and no planning because it promised to make large development less likely AND it promoted eco-friendly construction. At this point you could probably pass an ordinance that brought back DURA-style destruction downtown if you promised to turn the empty lots into open fields full of native plants and animals.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojiferous View Post
What is Kyle Zeppelin's end game? Does he even know anymore? I mean are they trying to dismantle I-70 altogether? Keep the viaduct and let it rot? Force a move to some other route that would itself require years of planning and have other impacts that he doesn't care about because they won't personally affect him?

Maybe I'm just mad because I know a ballot initiative would probably be successful because there are a lot of Denver Sentimentalists and Boulderish Pseudo-environmentalists here - Both will happily vote for anything that prevents new development or investment, one because they misunderstand the effects of newcomers and lack of housing supply on costs and the others because they (like 70s Boulderites) believe that not letting people move to the city will magically prevent those people from building anywhere, thereby preserving their pristine backpacking and glamping grounds. Sabotaging transit projects attracts both of these groups like hot trash draws raccoons. They are the ones that voted for a green roof initiative that was all idea and no planning because it promised to make large development less likely AND it promoted eco-friendly construction. At this point you could probably pass an ordinance that brought back DURA-style destruction downtown if you promised to turn the empty lots into open fields full of native plants and animals.
I so agree with all of this! I consider myself progressive/liberal, but pragmatic, more centrist and open to development. Denver seems to be taking a hard turn to the far left recently. Did we just ban cat declawing? And then the green roof initiative. I would have been happy with green roof incentives and not risk stifling development in the city. But this whole fight against I-70 is just ridiculous.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 12:24 AM

I'll be honest, I'm not a big fan of the I-70 project, but the people against it are so irrationally volatile that they've completely turned me against their movement. As for Kyle, man, that guys is something else.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 12:36 AM

I feel like Kyle Zeppelin is simply doing this for image/posture, or maybe political purposes? Maybe he plans on running for some local office at some point and this is his way of establishing an image and base in the community. I can't quite understand it any other way myself. He's a developer with no stake in the I-70 project. If anything, that project, combined with the NWC will help him in his future projects around RiNo by attracting more interest.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenvertoLA View Post
Not sure if this was posted already, but its a good read.

https://www.citylab.com/transportati...-pains/544472/
Heh, thanks for the heads up; that is a really good read. At first I thought it might be a piece I had already read which was mostly terrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojiferous View Post
VG guesses. I'm not sure Kyle deserves so much credit; this is all a part of the 'new urbanism' and Streetsblog agenda. 'We' hate freeways and cars and and any type of road expansion. Buses, bikes and sidewalks are cool though.

Their fantasy was to re-route I-70 along N I-25 to I-270/I-76 and then turn the existing I-70 into a nice parkway. The costs would be exorbitant; maybe $2.5-$3. billion for the new I-70 route due to many issues and say $500-$750 million for the parkway which would presumably be the responsibility of City of Denver. Made absolutely no sense.

Yes, all they are concerned with is their own urban neighborhood; they have no sense of the critical function that I-70 serves for not only Denver but the metro area, the region and the state thinking especially of the I-70 mountain corridor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
I feel like Kyle Zeppelin is simply doing this for image/posture, or maybe political purposes? Maybe he plans on running for some local office at some point and this is his way of establishing an image and base in the community. I can't quite understand it any other way myself. He's a developer with no stake in the I-70 project. If anything, that project, combined with the NWC will help him in his future projects around RiNo by attracting more interest.
The Zeppelin's are to their credit very special city folk (especially Kyle's Dad who I met a long time ago but The Dirt may have a point about Kyle) and I wonder if he didn't just join the bandwagon for whatever reasons I'm not sure... but you bring up a couple of interesting ones. You could well be right.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 4:37 PM

I wouldn't lump the anti-I-70 / CPFAN folks with the Streetsblog crowd. While you may not agree with Streetsblog's fervor, they come from more of an urbanist perspective, whereas the anti-I-70 folks are your typical don't build anything and building anything equals gentrification crowd.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 4:52 PM

I just don't understand where people want to be anti-development... I love my city, therefore, I want to see it thrive and improve. i70 project is a huge improvement to where we are now, I want to show off our city! But at the freeways current state, I'm always a little embarrassed when friends or family who fly into town and they have to see that outdated freeway with nothing but industrialism all around just to get into town... I'm glad they are finally making improvements on it, we as a city desperately need it. Even if it doesn't personally serve us, its going to revitalize some of the closest land to downtown like Globeville, it will encourage more companies to move closer to the mouse trap area and start a chain reaction of positive effect. Of course its not always going to be fun and games for the neighborhoods the freeway cuts into, but its just like anything, no matter how you try to improve the freeway someones going to be upset. Instead of thinking on one or two individuals we need to focus on the benefit of the region as a whole. We are a major city, sometimes we have to make big city decisions. Don't like it, move to Colorado Springs.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
I wouldn't lump the anti-I-70 / CPFAN folks with the Streetsblog crowd. ...whereas the anti-I-70 folks are your typical don't build anything and building anything equals gentrification crowd.
I accept your clarification. I do recall thinking at one point how there were different groups who found a common devil to unite against. The old 'strange bedfellows' analogy.

The L Line has taken off; RTD has the details and TEAGUE BOHLEN at Westword is not a happy camper.

To the extent that I think I understand the changes they make a lot of sense to me.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West