HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 10:03 PM

$1 million fine for Orgaworld and their stench. Maybe Penquity will encourage them to shutdown and move closer to their customers in Toronto.

http://www.lfpress.com/2017/10/27/lo...r-odour-issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer139 View Post
Good news indeed.

Here's hoping the winds alway blow from the north to keep the stench from Orgaworld away from all those shoppers.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Potter View Post
London is such a huge college town now. I think the IKEA will work nicely there. Lots of college students will likely buy their furniture and misc.home goods there i'm assuming.
New retail and industrial growth along London's stretch of the 401 is really needed and where it should be. I was commenting on Dupcheck's comment about London sprawling all the way to St Thomas and Port Stanley. London needs to first develop all its empty land within it's urban growth boundary to an appropriate high density before considering to expand that boundary. Also establishing a commuter train between London and St Thomas should be done BEFORE developing the land between the towns, to avoid that area from becoming a traffic nightmare.

Last edited by Oliverfox; Oct 28, 2017 at 4:56 AM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 10:47 AM

There is already a rail line right of way between London and St. Thomas. Setting aside this corridor now with zoning would be visionary and send a message to the folks 50 years from now that current politicians and urban planners didn't share a single brain cell between the bunch of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliverfox View Post
New retail and industrial growth along London's stretch of the 401 is really needed and where it should be. I was commenting on Dupcheck's comment about London sprawling all the way to St Thomas and Port Stanley. London needs to first develop all its empty land within it's urban growth boundary to an appropriate high density before considering to expand that boundary. Also establishing a commuter train between London and St Thomas should be done BEFORE developing the land between the towns, to avoid that area from becoming a traffic nightmare.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 2:16 PM

The line that runs south from London to St Thomas (The old London Port Stanley line) still has freight trains on it, (I get stuck every so often on Green Valley waiting for a train taking frames out of Formet lol). Too bad St Thomas took out the link in town connecting to the Port Stanley line. Although if there was a will, it wouldn't be a major infrastructure project to connect the 2 again as it's less than a half mile from where the London line ends at Barwick St to where the Port Stanley line starts at Talbot.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
The line that runs south from London to St Thomas (The old London Port Stanley line) still has freight trains on it, (I get stuck every so often on Green Valley waiting for a train taking frames out of Formet lol). Too bad St Thomas took out the link in town connecting to the Port Stanley line. Although if there was a will, it wouldn't be a major infrastructure project to connect the 2 again as it's less than a half mile from where the London line ends at Barwick St to where the Port Stanley line starts at Talbot.
It's not a large link to connect (In. St. Thomas, hopefully one day there's a tourism route from London to Port Stanley. Still, don't see that happening anytime soon.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 2:26 AM
The Vomit Bag.

How many cars would such a train have, and how many seats on these cars? I am having a very hard time understanding how an urban area of 37000 could possibly generate enough traffic to make a passenger rail link feasible, even if every single individual commuting from St. Thomas to London actually took the train as opposed to driving
(which is impossible, especially given the different times of day that people need to be at their jobs, combined with the likelihood that at best 1-2 trains per day would run).

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
How many cars would such a train have, and how many seats on these cars? I am having a very hard time understanding how an urban area of 37000 could possibly generate enough traffic to make a passenger rail link feasible, even if every single individual commuting from St. Thomas to London actually took the train as opposed to driving
(which is impossible, especially given the different times of day that people need to be at their jobs, combined with the likelihood that at best 1-2 trains per day would run).
I have the same questions about high speed rail to Toronto.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Although if there was a will, it wouldn't be a major infrastructure project to connect the 2 again as it's less than a half mile from where the London line ends at Barwick St to where the Port Stanley line starts at Talbot.
St. Thomas was actually given Federal money to restore that connection and I believe I've heard that its in the final planning stages to do the construction next summer. Not 2017 as the news article stated.

Restoration of St. Thomas rail link

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 3:53 PM

Hmm, maybe once high-speed rail is provided there could be a tram or small train between St. Thomas and downtown London.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 10:08 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Hmm, maybe once high-speed rail is provided there could be a tram or small train between St. Thomas and downtown London.
Or maybe between Ikea and downtown london. The traffic is likely to be higher.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 10:45 PM

I'm more interested in the right of way and insuring that the lands 100m either side are zoned for future transportation usage. Expressway, Rail, Maglev, Tube, bike path whatever the future may bring.

We need visionary planning and zoning that considers land use 25,50,100 years into the future.

Putting some dashed lines on a land use planning map for future transportation links and right of ways was something we didn't do in the past and then we end up with massive limits on what we need today.

BRT and LRT routes in the city ring any bells?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 3:09 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer139 View Post
I'm more interested in the right of way and insuring that the lands 100m either side are zoned for future transportation usage. Expressway, Rail, Maglev, Tube, bike path whatever the future may bring.

We need visionary planning and zoning that considers land use 25,50,100 years into the future.

Putting some dashed lines on a land use planning map for future transportation links and right of ways was something we didn't do in the past and then we end up with massive limits on what we need today.

BRT and LRT routes in the city ring any bells?

If need be, the maglev could run above where Wonderland Road currently exists.

I wouldn't hold my breath on anything other than a small chance of LRT in the next 50 years in London.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 12:25 AM

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 9:01 PM

Noticed a backhoe stripping trees on this site today.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 4:13 PM

That is good news for the city and region.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 12:27 PM

Trees have now been cleared out.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 4:40 AM

Looks like Ikea has reversed their decision and the store may not be built after all. Unfortunate news.

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/...n-london-store

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 2:13 PM

A bit strange, wonder if they are going to re-tool the layouts and what not.

"We still see potential in the London market, and will move forward with the purchase of the land for this development site as we begin exploring new solutions to better serve our London customers,” Ikea Canada spokesperson Kristin Newbigging said"

So they are still in a contract for the land, just likely delaying as the store structures are going to change maybe?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 9:33 PM

My guess is that they are going to build a smaller format store in London, a new concept being tried in the UK. Probably somewhere between the full size store and the pick up stores they have. From what I was reading their sales were down and so they are reacting. IKEA doesn’t just announce stores and then shelve them unless they are having serious problems.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 4:24 PM

I am hearing that the IKEA store is delayed for a 2020 opening instead of 2019. Not sure if the size/format will change much, but the Pen Equity proposal with IKEA is going forward at City Hall at the next planning meeting.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates