HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 5:47 PM

Airport & Sushi

I have been to Nobu at the Hard Rock in Vegas. Certainly great sushi, but somewhat pricy and long waits if you don't have reservations.

Despite my handle I am a 28 year San Diego resident. Personally I will be disappointed if Lindbergh is replaced elsewhere and I have created a petition to keep it right where it is: http://SaveLindbergh.org Please sign it if you agree.

G.

PS: I have money down on a 2br/2ba at Turnberry Towers in Vegas that I intend to use for vacations and occasional rentals. My price is 125K less than the current pricing. Looking for a partner (25% to 50%) if anybody is insterested.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 8:02 PM
Long-Time Californian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasBound View Post
I have been to Nobu at the Hard Rock in Vegas. Certainly great sushi, but somewhat pricy and long waits if you don't have reservations.

Despite my handle I am a 28 year San Diego resident. Personally I will be disappointed if Lindbergh is replaced elsewhere and I have created a petition to keep it right where it is: http://SaveLindbergh.org Please sign it if you agree.

G.

PS: I have money down on a 2br/2ba at Turnberry Towers in Vegas that I intend to use for vacations and occasional rentals. My price is 125K less than the current pricing. Looking for a partner (25% to 50%) if anybody is insterested.
Vegasbound, if you support Lindbergh where it is... I hope you support California High Speed Rail? If constructed it will help mitigate the need to expand the airport as it competes very well in-state air travel and flights in the 250-600 mile range.

I like flying but I would without question take HSR to places like LA, SF or Sacramento because door to door travel would be the same or better... and certainly have less hassles.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 8:16 PM
500 foot Groundscraper

YES HSR, YES on a new airport. San Diego has the potential to be the gateway to Asia on the west coast. It doesn't take much to outdo San Francisco. All you have to do is build an international facility better than theirs and then our weather will attract airlines since it is so consistent whereas San Francisco has fog issues. Then downtown can go up. And right in the middle would be the link to all of California in a terminal for HSR to whisk passengers throughout.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 8:23 PM
Long-Time Californian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl3000 View Post
YES HSR, YES on a new airport. San Diego has the potential to be the gateway to Asia on the west coast. It doesn't take much to outdo San Francisco. All you have to do is build an international facility better than theirs and then our weather will attract airlines since it is so consistent whereas San Francisco has fog issues. Then downtown can go up. And right in the middle would be the link to all of California in a terminal for HSR to whisk passengers throughout.
"Yes" on a new airport and "yes" on Lindberg staying right where it is seems to conflict with each other. Are you supportive of a new airport alltogether... augmenting Lindberg? Is that what you mean?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 8:26 PM

Why would you want to keep Lindbergh where it is? The reasons on your website are dumb.

Last edited by Derek; Apr 29, 2007 at 8:32 PM.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 9:00 PM
Long-Time Californian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek loves SD View Post
Why would you want to keep Lindbergh where it is? The reasons on your website are dumb.
Yeah, I htink it is a misleading too.... after re-reading it. I don't think a centrally located ariport would add to commute link trips to the airport... or for people wanting access to it. If at all, the Miramar location would decrease them since that location was considered to be the central location to the SD region.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 1:07 AM

So, does anybody think that the power plant downtown next to Electra will ever be shut down and redeveloped into more condos or something?

Last edited by Derek; Apr 30, 2007 at 1:13 AM.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 2:25 AM
skeetskeetskeet

Quote:
So, does anybody think that the power plant downtown next to Electra will ever be shut down and redeveloped into more condos or something?
yeah, its ugly

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 2:26 AM

Especially next to such a lovely tower!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 2:48 AM
Long-Time Californian

Quote:
I'd definately think so. Once Sempra, or whom ever owns that property, does a analysis of what it would take (cost) to relocate the current facilities elsewhere versus possible return... and the numbers work out and they can still provide the necessary service... yeah, I'd think they'd come up with something. It' just a matter of time, I'd think.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 3:04 AM

^Let's hope it isn't too much time.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 3:08 AM
Resident E. Vil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmfarley View Post
I'd definately think so. Once Sempra, or whom ever owns that property, does a analysis of what it would take (cost) to relocate the current facilities elsewhere versus possible return... and the numbers work out and they can still provide the necessary service... yeah, I'd think they'd come up with something. It' just a matter of time, I'd think.
I am curious to know what you think it is worth.

Do you realize what it would take to relocate that facility?

Where are you going to find a suitable replacement site in downtown? If you could find one, wouldn't you have to pay a similar price for the land at the new site?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 3:46 AM

Who said a power plant that supplies power to downtown has to physically be located downtown?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 7:39 AM
Long-Time Californian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegodweller View Post
I am curious to know what you think it is worth.

Do you realize what it would take to relocate that facility?

Where are you going to find a suitable replacement site in downtown? If you could find one, wouldn't you have to pay a similar price for the land at the new site?
Absolutely. No, those things did not escape me. The same questions hold true for each undesirable, but necessary utility, located downtown. At the end of the day... it's just a matter of time.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 2:16 PM
Resident E. Vil

Quote:
Who said a power plant that supplies power to downtown has to physically be located downtown?
It isn't a power plant, it is a transmission station. The Electra Building was the old power plant.

I am sure that there are miles of cable criscrossing downtown to that site. It would take decades and multi millions of dollars to buy easements and reroute the power lines to a different location downtown.

Unless someone knows of some advanced technology, electricity still needs to be tranferred by wires. I don't think they have some sort of wireless technology yet.

FYI - residential highrise dirt in downtown may actually have a zero or negative value right now. Most residential builders that I have talked to recently say that the revenues for new condos may not exceed the costs to build a new highrise. Office may be different.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 9:30 PM

Combing the internet today....

Found some links to some up coming / proposed projects that i have not heard of yet.... Maybe you have....

County of San Diego
Health and Human Services Administration
Headquarters and Parking Garage
40,000 SF + 768 cars
Little Italy, San Diego, CA

Waterfront Park and Underground Parking,
County Administration Building
Downtown, San Diego, CA
On the boards, in association with
Hargreaves Associates, San Francisco

MARRIOTT HOTEL TOWER 3

Building Area: 353,000 SF; 24 stories

CAMPBELL LANDING HOTEL

Building Area: 1.2 Million SF; 40 stories

40 stories, Is that higher than 500 Ft?
(Edit most building at 40 stories are between 575 to 610 ft )

Last edited by SDDTProspector; Apr 30, 2007 at 9:52 PM.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 10:27 PM

Does anyone have any information on the Federal Courthouse? The last info I had seen indicated that the only 2 contractors who bid on the project said the amount allocated was too low, so they were withdrawing their bids.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDTProspector View Post
Found some links to some up coming / proposed projects that i have not heard of yet.... Maybe you have....

County of San Diego
Health and Human Services Administration
Headquarters and Parking Garage
40,000 SF + 768 cars
Little Italy, San Diego, CA

Waterfront Park and Underground Parking,
County Administration Building
Downtown, San Diego, CA
On the boards, in association with
Hargreaves Associates, San Francisco

MARRIOTT HOTEL TOWER 3

Building Area: 353,000 SF; 24 stories

CAMPBELL LANDING HOTEL

Building Area: 1.2 Million SF; 40 stories

40 stories, Is that higher than 500 Ft?
(Edit most building at 40 stories are between 575 to 610 ft )

office buildings at 40 floors are usually higher than 500 feet due to the high ceilings needed for the more versatile operations that go on in office buildings. Hotel and residential towers usually stay at about 10-11 feet per floor so i'm assuming this 40 floor building would be safely below the 500 foot limit for downtown.

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 1:29 AM

^^ Where is Campbell Landing? I think that Marriott tower is an old, possibly dead proposal.

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 2:14 AM

im pretty sure campbell landing is the site that Manchester wanted to build some time ago that got tied up in litigation with the port. that followed with the port buying out his option for like 3 million to get rid of him (or some nonsense like that). whatever the case, its long dead. it was a Martinez-Cutri design.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations