HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 12:17 PM

The league the pro team would be in is called the inter-county abseball league based out of southern ontario.

Teams
Toronto
Guelph
Barrie
London
Brantford
Kitchener
Hamilton
MIssissauga

Teams play a 36 game schedule.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 5:12 PM

This is league is not a good fit for Ottawa. The teams operate on small budgets, and every team is currently within 2 hours of each other. That would become 7 hours in the case of Ottawa-London.

I suppose they could find a way to do weekend series etc., but it isn't a long-term solution.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
This is league is not a good fit for Ottawa. The teams operate on small budgets, and every team is currently within 2 hours of each other. That would become 7 hours in the case of Ottawa-London.

I suppose they could find a way to do weekend series etc., but it isn't a long-term solution.
I think the league needs to expand out side of the 2 hour area to grow and ottawa could be a real good start.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 6:03 PM

based on who is involved currently ottawa would be a good fit and could help grow more franchises in eastern ontario, perhaps Kingston or even Belleville/Trenton area.

As for 7 hours to London maybe on the worst day in a snow storm. Most of the time all teams would be at most 5 - 5 1/2 hours.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 11:54 PM

I don't think allowing on street parking nearby would resolve the parking issue. I would like to know which streets Chiarelli had in mind when he was asking for on street parking. It is my view that there are not many streets nearby that would be suitable for this (most of them are quite far from the venue, many are "privates" which means the city has no authority to open them, and the rest already allow on street parking).

More likely would be for them to use Canadian Tire, Bestbuy or Hampton parking (paying the owners for use) along with parking at the two nearby RCMP buildings (Headquarters and the one on Coventry.. I believe HQ is to vacate soonish). If more was needed, a long planned bridge that would connect to to the south side of the 417 would open the train station and Walmart parking on that side among others (again they would have to negotiate with the owners). This with the added benefit of adding good transit access.

Perhaps Chiarelli can ask that on street parking be allowed near our hospitals. It is a shame that folks have to pay $14.00 to visit sick family or attend to medical appointment at the hospital. It is not like there are no viable on street parking spots nearby (these are however all posted no parking zones, which I suspect is a result of the nearby residents petitioning city Council).

Last edited by Yroc; Jan 28, 2010 at 12:13 AM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2010, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjagger View Post
based on who is involved currently ottawa would be a good fit and could help grow more franchises in eastern ontario, perhaps Kingston or even Belleville/Trenton area.

As for 7 hours to London maybe on the worst day in a snow storm. Most of the time all teams would be at most 5 - 5 1/2 hours.
If you can make it to London in 5 hours by bus, I think you'd have some sort of record. London is 630 km away, and you need to pass through Toronto to get there. But more to the point, the closest team to Ottawa is Toronto at 4+ hours (assuming the demise of slightly-closer Oshawa). Every other team is farther away. These aren't trips you can make in an evening, as is the case with the rest of the league.

An eastern division would make sense, but that is a rather big endeavour and not likely to happen soon. What you have currently is a very small budget, local league that has been running successfully for years in that part of southern Ontario. Once you start taking about significant travel costs, it could mean trouble for lots of the teams. Heck, the Toronto team doesn't even charge admission.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2010, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjagger View Post

Based on who is involved this is a good fit? I think its probably the opposite and the final nail in the coffin for baseball in Ottawa. The reputation of this group has been terrible in Ottawa

Old Posted Jan 28, 2010, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawatraffic View Post
Based on who is involved this is a good fit? I think its probably the opposite and the final nail in the coffin for baseball in Ottawa. The reputation of this group has been terrible in Ottawa
No i don't think it would be the final nail in the coffin at all.As for this group i have heard very little bad of this group.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2010, 5:02 PM

I don't mean to be completely negative on this, but if you are all familiar with this league you would recognize that it is not the answer to revitalizing a 10,000 seat stadium. I grew up in Kitchener, and based on games I went to, would estimate that they average about 200-300 fans per game. Toronto was probably less.

If Ottawa wants to make use of its existing facility, it needs to aim higher.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2010, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
I don't mean to be completely negative on this, but if you are all familiar with this league you would recognize that it is not the answer to revitalizing a 10,000 seat stadium. I grew up in Kitchener, and based on games I went to, would estimate that they average about 200-300 fans per game. Toronto was probably less.

If Ottawa wants to make use of its existing facility, it needs to aim higher.
This league is a start and it may get real good supoport here.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 4:35 PM
National Capital Region

Baseball returns to Ottawa
Last Updated: Thursday, March 11, 2010 | 11:18 AM ET Comments0Recommend2
CBC News

Baseball will return to Ottawa Stadium this summer in the form of a team in Ontario's Intercounty Baseball League, the oldest baseball league in Canada. The league has been in continuous operation since 1919.

On Wednesday, the IBL awarded an expansion franchise to Ottawa Stadium Group (OSG).

Ottawa's team will be the league's ninth member for the 2010 season.

The new franchise will announce its team name and head coach next week. It has already begun to put together a roster of players.

The team will compete against teams such as the Barrie Baycats, Guelph Royals, Hamilton Thunderbirds, Brantford Red Sox, Kitchener Panthers, London Majors, Mississauga Twins and Toronto Maple Leafs.

The games will play out of Ottawa Stadium, a 10,300 seat ball park formerly known as Lynx Stadium when it was playing host to triple-A baseball, and most recently, independent professional baseball.

"The IBL wishes to thank Ottawa Mayor Larry O'Brien and city councillors who saw the need to utilize the stadium for the multiple uses that the community will receive," said Joe O'Neill, commissioner of the IBL.

The stadium group will also be announcing details on some of the unique ticketing packages and "double play" season ticket packages that deliver a "double dose of value" to purchasers, O'Neill said in a new release.

Rosters in the league are filled with top local players and talented Canadian and U.S. players from National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) colleges and universities, O'Neill said.

Baseball fans will welcome the new team after the Ottawa Rapidz baseball team last year ended its run with the Canadian American Association of Professional Baseball (Can-Am) league after just one season.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/stor...#ixzz0ht2C1ikr

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 9:30 PM
R2-D2's army of death

I give this thing two years, maybe three TOPS before it folds.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
I give this thing two years, maybe three TOPS before it folds.
I would not be to sure about that.Don't forget with the rapidz attendance was not that big of a issue in fact for a last place team it was not to bad at all.Aslo with the ibl teams draw between 200-600 per game on the avg.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 7:47 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidjr View Post
I would not be to sure about that.Don't forget with the rapidz attendance was not that big of a issue in fact for a last place team it was not to bad at all.Aslo with the ibl teams draw between 200-600 per game on the avg.
Let's just roll with your argument for a second. Now we run into some problems...

"...for a last place team it was not that bad at all".

"...the IBL teams draw between 200-600 per game..."

So not only was it "not that bad" for a last place team, but this new league or whatever averages only 200-600 per game in a VERY short season in a stadium that seats 10,332? That is underutilization in the most appalling way.

Here's another thing, sure the Rapidz had better attendance than the Lynx but they were around for ONE. PUNY. SEASON. They also declared bankruptcy and the Rapidz were going to be replaced by the Voyageurs but NO ONE WANTED TO TAKE THAT ON. So now we're left with a new team adn the same old rhetoric being spouted from the hadnful of supporters who care about baseball in this city saying that thigns will change and trying to give the stadium some purpose that almost no one uses, and is a drain on taxpayers and the city.

Enough is enough; get rid of baseball in this city and do something useful, productive and revenue-generating with the site. Lord knows it needs it.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
Let's just roll with your argument for a second. Now we run into some problems...

"...for a last place team it was not that bad at all".

"...the IBL teams draw between 200-600 per game..."

So not only was it "not that bad" for a last place team, but this new league or whatever averages only 200-600 per game in a VERY short season in a stadium that seats 10,332? That is underutilization in the most appalling way.

Here's another thing, sure the Rapidz had better attendance than the Lynx but they were around for ONE. PUNY. SEASON. They also declared bankruptcy and the Rapidz were going to be replaced by the Voyageurs but NO ONE WANTED TO TAKE THAT ON. So now we're left with a new team adn the same old rhetoric being spouted from the hadnful of supporters who care about baseball in this city saying that thigns will change and trying to give the stadium some purpose that almost no one uses, and is a drain on taxpayers and the city.

Enough is enough; get rid of baseball in this city and do something useful, productive and revenue-generating with the site. Lord knows it needs it.
I beleave its more then a hand full of supporters.You can't look at it and expect a semi pro team to fill a 10,000 seat stadium even some major baseball teams are in the past few years having big attendance issues.You have to loook at the full picture this group from reports has a number of events out side of the baseball team so that alone is a gfood thing there are plans for concerts etc.As for the stadium beeing a drain on tax payers ok then should we go over all city items be it librays parks arts and culture and relook at everything and cut funding for some.I have said this before i live bnear a major bike trail that is not used as it should plus i am right next to many parks thata re not used as they should be.As for the ibl teams i think they will get good crowds more then many here expect.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 6:23 PM
National Capital Region

Baseball team's name revealed
THE OTTAWA CITIZENMARCH 24, 2010 2:10 PMBE THE FIRST TO POST A COMMENT

STORYPHOTOS ( 1 )

The owners of Ottawa's new entry in the Inter-County Baseball League unveil the new logo
Photograph by: Handout photo, Inter-County Baseball League
During a noon-hour press conference at city hall Wednesday, the Ottawa Stadium Group announced the name of the city's newest baseball franchise in the Intercounty Baseball League and unveiled the team logo.

With City Councillor Bob Monette, IBL Commissioner Joe O'Neill and Bill MacKenzie, the club's first manager on hand, the Ottawa Fat Cats were introduced.

The logo has a coat of arms look to it, with Ottawa across the middle, with the "O" replaced with a baseball. The name "Fat Cats" is directly underneath and the top of the logo is overpowered with a fat, smiling, animated cat wearing a baseball cap.

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

logo from the Ottawa Sun

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 7:31 PM
Citizen-at-large

That seems like quite the odd name for a sports fanchise... shouldn't it be something we can be proud to cheer for? Somehow the cheer "Go Fat Cats Go!" doesn't ring right.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 12:04 AM
R2-D2's army of death

*gggggggggggggggggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 12:54 AM
National Capital Region

On the bright side, the name is now unavailable for the CFL team that might some day inhabit Lansdowne, though it might better apply there.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 3:04 AM

Seriously? Is this a joke?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation