HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Aug 7, 2013, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
you'd have to think that a higher-end "urban market"-type grocery store would thrive here, there are literally thousands of condo dwellers already within only 2 blocks of this location.
The bulk of the condo dwellers in that area are more a Sobey's/Loblaws/IGA crowd than "Whole Paycheque". But yes, a supermarket in the vicinity would be helpful.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2013, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
The bulk of the condo dwellers in that area are more a Sobey's/Loblaws/IGA crowd than "Whole Paycheque". But yes, a supermarket in the vicinity would be helpful.
Now maybe.... but there will be more new condos with younger modish people in that area in seven years than old condos with older people. I think Whole Foods or Farm Boy would do very very well there.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2013, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Now maybe.... but there will be more new condos with younger modish people in that area in seven years than old condos with older people. I think Whole Foods or Farm Boy would do very very well there.
Agree on Farm Boy.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2013, 8:53 PM

Quote:
I'd like to chop the top off 56 Leonard in Downtown NYC and plop it down in Ottawa...well actually, I'd like to NOT chop the top off and plop it down in Ottawa but we all know that isn't happening for another 10+ years.
wait, how can that be, there are nondescript mid-rise building around there, but we know that only Ottawa has those because of our obsession with height restrictions; Harley that photo is a fake!!

Old Posted Aug 7, 2013, 9:09 PM

Quote:
I'd like to chop the top off 56 Leonard in Downtown NYC and plop it down in Ottawa...well actually, I'd like to NOT chop the top off and plop it down in Ottawa but we all know that isn't happening for another 10+ years.
That is a really interesting building. I feel it might like nice on Lyon, even. Would you be willing to post this to the Architecture for Ottawa thread?

Old Posted Aug 7, 2013, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhall View Post
It's nice, but it's very "almost." Almost original, almost like a stack of boxes, etc. Why not something like this here, stolen from the "Architecture for Ottawa" thread:
Yay, I'm glad to see how stuff from the Archi in Ottawa thread is showing up in other threads.

I do think this might be a fun building to have in place of 196 Bronson; the area really could use something fun and different. At the same time, I like what Lamb is proposing for the area (I'm not 100% sold on the juxtaposition of red brick and bluish glass, but it could be nice).

If I may, I really like what Lamb is bringing to Ottawa. The stuff we're seeing is really interesting and unique - exactly what Ottawa could use.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2013, 9:20 PM

"unique" might be getting a little carried away.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2013, 9:53 PM

Quote:
If we're going to chop off any part of 56 Leonard it should be the far less articulated middle.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2013, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
"unique" might be getting a little carried away.
Well, SoBa and Gotham are unique in comparison to other buildings in Ottawa, so far.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2013, 11:05 PM

Looking at these other buildings, I'm starting to be disappointed with the tower part of this proposal (still liking the podium).

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 1:22 AM

I attended an investment seminar hosted by Fortress Development and Brad Lamb earlier tonight to talk about this project and I am not sure if any of you guys attended the same event but I came away pretty disappointed for several reasons

- Solid crowd for an event at the E&Y Centre near the airport but little did I know I would have to pay $7 for parking (my first time at this place). I could have turned back but decided to go ahead.

- Sales for the Bronson will not actually commence until 2014, if at that. Brad Lamb divided his time between this project and SoBa which was not the reason why I came in the first place

- The whole session felt pretty disjointed and unorganized. There were some serious technical issues, at one point, there was nothing on the projector screen for a good half an hour. Fortress was trying to sell their Winnipeg project as well and I personally didn't get a warm, fuzzy feeling about this Bronson project

- Yes there will be a grocery store on the ground floor and that's about it really.

I am just not sure why they needed to have this seminar now when sales is not going to start in 8 or 12 months, maybe Brad needed to have an event to push sales for his other project, namely SoBa?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 3:00 AM

I saw a tweet from Fortress based on an announcement from Brad Lamb that the Bronson is gonna be 17 storeys instead of 14.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
I saw a tweet from Fortress based on an announcement from Brad Lamb that the Bronson is gonna be 17 storeys instead of 14.
Here we go again; another neighborhood with everything the same height; the Edge and Gotham are 17 and I'm sure everything else that will be proposed from now on will be 17.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 12:55 PM

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 3:31 PM

Looks like they are building a staggered building in Montreal as well, definitely the trend fright now:

http://destinationyul.com/

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 4:09 PM

Looks better than their Ottawa proposal. How tall and how many units?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 5:33 PM

The website says two 40 story buildings

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 5:51 PM

That looks AMAZING. I would kill for these in Ottawa, preferably in Centretown near Soba. What a skyline changer that would be for Ottawa!

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 7:28 PM

I agree these would be nice around Catherine and Bank. (with SoBa, Central I II III etc... and these, there could be a nice little dense and livery neighbourhood in "south centretown".

Or these could be really nice on Rideau St. (like at the Metro/LCBO site) or the opposite corner of Rideau and King Edward (where there's that gas station) OR last but not least... Arts Court.

But no, again, Ottawa gets the short end of the stick.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 1:05 AM

Oh ya, Rideau on the Metro/LCBO site at 40 storeys, that would be awesome!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa