HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreTrains View Post
IS IT!!!!
They are now quite vague on the time-line (I think the original plan was for construction to be completed by now), and have taken to using phrasing like "advancing significant work by October 2015" - code for "we are sooooooo far behind."

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 9:15 PM

Good lord I hope this can be cancelled after the election. It's the kind of damage to the hill that is almost impossible to correct.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Nelson View Post
Good lord I hope this can be cancelled after the election. It's the kind of damage to the hill that is almost impossible to correct.
100% correct. Unlike the economy, removing a monument is... well... you dont do it, no matter how stupid or senseless it is.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2015, 3:56 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Ottawa's wish list for Baird's successor

Mark Sutcliffe, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: February 5, 2015, Last Updated: February 5, 2015 11:51 AM EST

If I may be so bold, Prime Minister Harper, I’d like to offer up a list of the qualities we’re looking for in the individual you chose to replace John Baird as the minister responsible for the National Capital Commission and the Ottawa area:

Persistence: With the greatest of respect, Prime Minister, we know you weren’t exactly predisposed to dump lots of money into Canada’s capital. So it’s clear that Baird had to be a bit pesky to get Ottawa projects on the agenda. I doubt, for example, we would have seen your government put millions into refurbishing the National Arts Centre without his diligence. We need another champion who will insist that Ottawa gets the cash it needs to develop into a better capital.

Relevance: You might be tempted to throw this role to a junior minister, but it should be someone who has your ear, as Baird did. I suspect there aren’t too many people who had licence to debate with you, and he was one of them. If there isn’t someone appropriate whom you already trust that much, I hope it’s someone who has a chance to earn your confidence.

Activism: I know that’s not a word you’d normally associate with a Conservative MP, but this is not a caretaker role in which you wait for files to come across your desk. Baird never treated it that way, nor should his successor. Ottawa needs someone who is determined to act without being prompted, even if he spends a bit of political capital doing so.

Ownership: Using the unique power of the NCC, Baird functioned, frankly, as a bit of a benevolent dictator when it came to his vision for the city, renaming parkways, advancing memorials and intervening on infrastructure projects. And I mean that in a good way.

Accountability: One of Baird’s most admirable moves was to raise his voice and promise results when not enough action was being taken to fix signalling problems at the VIA Rail crossing in Barrhaven. We need someone else who isn’t afraid to stick his neck out; unfortunately most politicians are too risk-averse to speak up.

Expedience: A lot of politicians are adept at creating the appearance of moving things moving forward without ever crossing the finish line. Baird was more determined and decisive than that. When he chose a priority, he made sure it got done. If he was still in charge, I think we’d see shovels in the ground on new development at Lebreton Flats within 12 to 18 months. I hope that doesn’t get bogged down in his absence.

Diplomacy: After a few years of tension, Baird and Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson finally set their differences aside and agreed to cooperate toward a solution for western light rail. Maybe his time in foreign affairs helped bring him around to a constructive tone. Either way, it would be nice if we could move right to the truce phase with the next Ottawa minister. Please choose someone who can see the bigger picture and compromise rather than get trapped in jurisdictional battles.

Initiative: Ottawa needs some help with the impact of federal job cuts. If another city lost 20,000 jobs in one industry, your government would probably help out with some transitional programs. In this case, it’s not mining or manufacturing jobs that have been lost, but the public service positions you’ve eliminated. We get it: you need to balance the budget. But it would be nice if the next minister was resourceful enough to find ways to help the local community overcome the economic impact of those changes.

Prime Minister, it may be tough to find someone with all of these attributes but maybe there’s someone who can grow into the role. I hope you look at this as an important job and it wasn’t just a pet project you awarded to Baird in order to satisfy his passion for his hometown. The task of improving the capital is far from finished.

Twitter.com/_Mark Sutcliffe

http://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/col...irds-successor

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 7:06 PM

Looks like Pierre Poilievre will be taking over for Baird at the NCC. He will also now be in charge of Employment and Social Development Canada. He is at least local...unsure if I like the move or not though.

Thoughts?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle22857136/

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
Looks like Pierre Poilievre will be taking over for Baird at the NCC. He will also now be in charge of Employment and Social Development Canada. He is at least local...unsure if I like the move or not though.

Thoughts?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle22857136/
Well, if you were hoping for a thoughtlessly partisan NCC, this should help.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 7:08 PM
Still optimistic

To quote myself from the Confederation Line thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmer View Post

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
NCC board acquiescence to political masters could ruin the Hill

Joanne Chianello, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: January 21, 2015, Last Updated: January 21, 2015 6:55 PM EST

We are a little past the halfway point in Mayor Jim Watson and Foreign Minister John Baird’s 100-day truce on the very public disagreement the city and the federal government’s National Capital Commission have been waging over a tiny part of the proposed route for the western LRT expansion.

So far, so good.

“We’ve agreed during the 100 days to not comment on the progress of our discussions, but I think I can go as far to say that we have a positive feeling that we’re working well with the city, and vice versa,” the NCC’s chief executive, Mark Kristmanson, told reporters after Tuesday’s board meeting.

Who knows what will come of all this behind-the-scenes goodwill, if anything? The 100 days isn’t up until March. But it’s gratifying to think that officials are working hard to solve their differences, especially as both sides have legitimate arguments.

The city aims to build this light-rail route as affordably as possible and argues that doing it the NCC’s way will cost hundreds of millions more. The NCC is concerned about preserving federal land and green space for all Canadians.

Which is as it should be. You don’t have to agree with the NCC to appreciate that it must take its role in planning the capital region seriously.

If only the NCC board dealt with all its land-use duties so responsibly.

At the same time it’s rightly squaring off with the city over what amounts to running a train for 500 metres along the southern side of the Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway, the NCC has acquiesced to pressure from within the federal government over a highly dubious plan for a prominent, 5,000-square-metre property on Wellington Street, next to the Supreme Court of Canada.

The site is to be the new home of the increasingly controversial Memorial to the Victims of Communism. Since the 1920s, the property has been designated in government documents as the future location of a new building for the Federal Court of Canada. Until, that is, Public Works simply allocated the current site to Tribute to Liberty, the private charity behind the proposed the memorial.

The NCC board of directors unanimously approved the change in November 2013 without officially conferring with the NCC’s own advisory committee on planning, design and realty, which had reservations about the use of the site. When the committee did officially pronounce on the project in mid-2014, it judged the location totally inappropriate for the memorial, and it didn’t think much of the winning design by Toronto-based ABSTRACT Studio Architecture.

The NCC’s planning committee is chaired by the renowned Canadian urban planner Larry Beasley, who told Maclean’s magazine earlier this month that his committee told the government that “the chosen site was not a good site, and that it was needed for a higher priority government purpose over the next few years.”

So what did everyone do with this expert planning advice? Ignored it, evidently. The NCC board, which is expressly mandated to oversee the planning of the capital, failed to solicit, and later heed, its own planning and design committee. Instead, it voted with the government.

And thus we come back to our age-old question: Why do we have the NCC if its politically appointed board members are just going to do the bidding of the government of the day?

Making all this even worse is the fact that the NCC had already reserved a much more suitable site for the proposed Memorial to Victims of Communism on Wellington Street just west of Bay Street. But that location was apparently not prominent enough for the Tribute to Liberty charity.

The Department of Canadian Heritage, which is in overseeing the monument project, previously told the Citizen that the current site “was deemed more favourable” by Tribute to Liberty because of its proximity and “thematic links” to the Supreme Court of Canada, the Peace Tower, Parliament Hill and Library and Archives Canada.

So we’re going to plan the capital based on what a private charity wants, as opposed to respecting the opinions of professional planners we’ve recruited from across the country for the express purpose of bringing design sensitivity to the capital region?

The decision to put the memorial on such a prominent parliamentary location is unconscionable. Yet hardly a murmur in this much-too-polite town has been raised.

Some have tried, including architect Barry Padolsky in his letter of protest that first sounded the alarm on this file. And the Citizen’s Don Butler reported that even one of the judges for the memorial’s design competition has a “massive problem” with the chosen site.

Shirley Blumberg, a founding partner of KPMB Architects of Toronto who was part of the jury, told Butler that the site is “inappropriate” and “is so centrally placed that it would seem to quite overshadow Canada’s true history.”

We’ve completely lost our perspective, waging a battle royale with the NCC for what amounts to minor LRT route change while the permanent ruination of a superb 5,000-square-metre public space near Parliament Hill is going mostly unmentioned.

jchianello@ottawacitizen.com
twitter.com/jchianello

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...-col-chianello
I was very pleased when I read this article by Chianello. It's time Ottawans wake up and start creating a real stink over this thing! What a god-awful choice of site for such an unnecessary monument.

Write a letter to your MP, MPP and City Councillor. And while you're at it, cc the Ottawa Citizen and Ottawa Sun. Maybe one of them will run the letter in their paper and help draw attention to the issue.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 6:48 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Poilievre: Will ensure Ottawa 'gets its fair share'

By Jon Willing, Ottawa Sun
First posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 10:40 AM EST | Updated: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 10:47 AM EST

The capital region's new senior minister Pierre Poilievre says he'll make sure Ottawa "gets its fair share" on the Hill when the city asks for more LRT funding.

In an interview Tuesday morning on CFRA, Poilievre said he spoke with Mayor Jim Watson after being appointed minister responsible for the National Capital Commission on Monday and decided the two can have a "positive working relationship."

A small cabinet shuffle after John Baird announced he was quitting meant Poilievre was the only cabinet minister in the national capital region, and thus, the likely heir of NCC oversight.

Poilievre was also named minister of employment and social development. He remains minister of democratic reform.

He'll take over Baird's job negotiating with Watson over the western LRT route. The NCC has refused the city's alignment along the Sir John A. Macdonald Pkwy., prompting Baird and Watson to give themselves 100 days to figure it out. The 100 days end March 6.

"I'm told they are making some good progress," Poilievre said in the radio interview. "Mayor Watson said that and so did John Baird when I asked about it a few days ago so we'll keep working on it and hopefully it will progress."

Asked if he likes the idea of the Ottawa Senators building a new arena on Lebreton Flats, Poilievre said he'll wait and see how the redevelopment competition plays out. He said he wants to see something with national significance, in addition to "utility and benefit."

Poilievre said he holds a "similar vision" of the capital as Baird.

"If you liked what John Baird did in the role, I think you'll be happy with the approach I take," Poilievre said.

jon.willing@sunmedia.ca
Twitter.com: @JonathanWilling

http://www.ottawasun.com/2015/02/10/...its-fair-share

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
[B]Poilievre: Will ensure Ottawa 'gets its fair share'

"If you liked what John Baird did in the role, I think you'll be happy with the approach I take," Poilievre said.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2015/02/10/...its-fair-share
So I wont like him?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 9:01 PM

Quote:
So I wont like him?
We are just going to have to find out. Cause right now I think he is a good guy but we will see in a few month's...

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
He is at least local...
I'm not sure whether "local" is a good thing or not.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 10:33 PM

Quote:
100% correct. Unlike the economy, removing a monument is... well... you dont do it, no matter how stupid or senseless it is.
The Egyptians moved entire ancient temples to make way for the Aswan dam, so these tacky slabs of crap can be moved to Barrhaven.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 5:59 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Some words of advice for Pierre Poilievre — the new NCC overlord

Published on: February 10, 2015, Last Updated: February 10, 2015 10:06 AM EST

Pierre Poilievre is now the third consecutive local minister to get the nod for overseeing the National Capital Commission, in what is an all-but-instituted new tradition.

Hand-picking a minister responsible for the NCC from the local ranks has its drawbacks, chiefly that the options are limited. John Baird was ideal in that he was both a powerful minister with clout and had a real interest in the city.

How passionate is Poilievre about developing the capital? We’re about to find out. So far, Poilievre’s only comment on his new role as minister responsible for the NCC (not to mention employment and social development, as well as democratic reform) is that he intends “to fight for the citizens of Ottawa.”

Those wanting an end to the spat over the proposed western LRT route may be heartened by those words, although one probably shouldn’t read much into a single sentence made on the first day of a new mandate. Still, the fact that Poilievre sees his role as representing Ottawans as well as Canadians is a good thing.

The minister needs to build on the recent co-operative mood between the NCC and the city, from the 100-day truce between Baird and Mayor Jim Watson to the regular meetings between the NCC’s chief executive officer and the mayors of Ottawa and Gatineau (a practice Poilievre should encourage and in which the minister should occasionally participate).

Then there’s the board of directors. The west-end MP would do well to bring in some new blood. The terms of five directors have expired — and four of those five are already on their second terms. How about appointing some directors who are leaders with local experience, such as Alex Munter? (Although he does have his hands full, what with running a children’s hospital.) Or how about recently retired local councillors such as Diane Holmes, Maria McRae or Peter Hume? We need directors who have a deep knowledge of the issues, understand all sorts of development, but have no political stake in NCC decisions.

And just two women on the current board of 14? That’s disgraceful and needs to change.

On the plans to develop the second phase of LeBreton Flats, let’s hope Poilievre is true to Baird’s word that it’d be better to build nothing than something bland. We’re expecting a short list of bids any time now, and Poilievre needs to insist that on this key nationally owned land something special be built — something that has meaning for both locals and Canadians from across the nation.

Indeed, Poilievre’s main challenge is to transform the NCC into an entity that helps integrate Ottawa-the-capital with Ottawa-the-city, that supports national institutions, and that makes sense on both a local and national level.

The NCC isn’t doing a bad job of improving life in the capital and the city, with consultations on the possibilities of a linear park along the Ottawa River, a project to prettify the edges of Booth Street at LeBreton and a plan to illuminate the capital. But these are smaller initiatives with more modest budgets that the NCC can take on itself.

For bigger capital-building plans, we need leadership at the federal level, and we need federal dollars. If the NCC ends up insisting that the western LRT run in a tunnel under a field at an additional cost of hundreds of millions of dollars, then it needs to offer up some funding for that change — which hasn’t yet been the case.

At the same time, as NCC overlord, Poilievre is also responsible for holding the city’s feet to the fire when it wants to cut corners. The mayor has been known to grumble that the NCC makes major and detailed demands, right down to the type of shrubs that need to be planted on federal lands. That might sound extreme, but it’s good to know that there’s someone looking over the city’s shoulder making sure it doesn’t cheap out.

Being an institution that is supposed to be a partner in city-building as well as hold the city to account is a difficult balancing act. And it’ll be interesting to see how well Poilievre can — or wants to — walk that tightrope.

twitter.com/jchianello

http://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/col...-col-chianello

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 6:26 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

New NCC minister keeping mum on Ottawa plans
Poilievre wants city, feds to co-operate on LRT

By Emma Jackson
Ottawa East News, Mar 2, 2015

The new regional minister and overseer of the National Capital Commission, Nepean-Carleton MP Pierre Poilievre, said Ottawa will get “its fair share” of federal support for phase two of the city’s light rail transit plans, but he isn’t yet commenting on how he’ll make sure the NCC and the city get along in the process.

The federal organization last November announced the only way the city can run its proposed light rail transit along the John A. Macdonald Parkway in the city’s west end is if it’s buried underground – at a cost of at least $300 million more. That, or send the trains through the federally-owned Rochester Fields, requiring more of the LRT line to be buried under Richmond Road or through Byron Linear Park – both options the city rejected due to the high cost and major opposition from residents in the area.

At the time, Mayor Jim Watson said he was blindsided by the decision, accusing the NCC of meddling in city affairs and springing “grandiose” costs on Ottawa taxpayers.

But Poilievre wouldn’t comment on whether those relations have improved in the past three months, or if the NCC is willing to compromise on its position.

“The city and the NCC agreed to spend 100 days negotiating the various routes that might be possible, so I’d rather not break that 100-day agreement,” said Poilievre.

That window closes in March, and Poilievre said he already has a meeting planned with Watson. He said it’s in everybody’s best interest that the city and the NCC find some resolution.

“The NCC has as its mandate to make the capital the most attractive place possible,” he said. “When it succeeds, it is good for local residents, because it brings more tourism. We benefit from when the NCC does its job properly.”

Poilievre said Ottawa will get “it’s fair share of infrastructure money and not a penny less,” but he warned the federal government can’t fund every project city councillors dream up.

“We’re not going to raise taxes, so any funding requests that come from the city will have to be affordable,” he said, reminding constituents that “anything the Government of Canada gives to the city has to be multiplied by about 35 across the country.”

Poilievre was also mum on the other high-profile project in the NCC’s sights: the redevelopment of LeBreton Flats.

On Feb. 18, NCC officials announced its shortlist of proposals to revitalize the vast, underutilized site across the street from the Canadian War Museum just west of downtown.

The four development groups, including Rendez Vous Lebreton Group which wants to build a new arena for the Ottawa Senators, have until November to submit detailed design proposals and financial plans to the NCC for consideration.

The four plans are vague at the moment, but each offer a mix of commercial and residential development anchored by some sort of institution or organization.

Poilievre said the final decision – likely to come mid-2016 – will ultimately be a political one, but for now he’s staying out of it.

“I’m going to let the competition run its course,” he said.

With files from Laura Mueller and Steph Willems

http://www.ottawacommunitynews.com/n...-ottawa-plans/

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Poilievre said the final decision – likely to come mid-2016 – will ultimately be a political one
wait what the ****?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 3:45 AM

Is that meant to be a threat?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 12:54 PM

It just means that the decision will be Cabinet's.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
It just means that the decision will be Cabinet's.
And that it will not be influenced by the city or residents. The result will be fully to the benefit of the feds, if it benefits anyone else it likely wont matter.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 4:49 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

The NCC — or someone — needs firmer role in planning capital

Published on: March 20, 2015, Last Updated: March 20, 2015 12:32 PM EDT

Once again we discover that the federal government has ignored the expert advice of the National Capital Commission. And once again, the subject was the controversial Memorial to the Victims of Communism.

The latest news comes this week from the Citizen’s indefatigable Don Butler, who reported that back in 2009, the NCC’s External Committee of Experts on Commemorations stated that the five-member committee — which included Mark Kristmanson, now chief executive of the NCC — unanimously agreed that “the topic, as outlined, did not meet the criteria set out in the NCC’s policy on commemorations.”

The government was apparently not too fussed by that advice. In 2009, the NCC’s board of directors agreed to a monument that would soon be planned for the Garden of the Provinces, a decision that delighted Minister Jason Kenney, who had been involved in the memorial almost from that start.

A few years later, Public Works wrote to the NCC to approve a land-use change to allow a commemorative monument on the Judicial Precinct site, land that was supposed to be set aside for a future federal court building. Again, the NCC board approved the request, without officially conferring with its own advisory committee on planning, design and realty, which had reservations about the use of the site.

According to an interview with Maclean’s magazine earlier this year, the NCC’s planning committee chair — renowned urban planner Larry Beasley — told the government that “the chosen site was not a good site, and that it was needed for a higher priority government purpose over the next few years.”

All this expert advice has fallen on deaf ears at the federal government.

There are two distinct issues at play here, although they are related under the broader thematic umbrella of the autonomy of the NCC.

The first is that the federal government too often ignores the advice of the experts on the commission. It appears the feds are only happy to let the NCC do its jobs if it’s a project in which the government of the day doesn’t have a political interest. The obvious question is why we have these experts if we’re only going to heed their advice when it suits us.

The second problem is the apparent acquiescence of the board of directors to the requests of government. This is a real conundrum. As cabinet is allowed by law to overturn any NCC decision it doesn’t like, there is little to be gained (other than possibly a moment of fleeting glory) for the board to deny a request from a government minister.

But there also needs to be some checks and balances on NCC board. As it stands, the directors are all political appointees — only two of the current 14 members are women! — who are named to the board by the minister responsible for the NCC. Many of them have plenty of expertise and ideas to contribute, but do we really want to give an appointed body the very last word on how we plan the capital?

What we actually need is to reform the NCC board to somehow make it more accountable to the public. There have been several suggestions on how this could be accomplished, from including the mayors of both Ottawa and Gatineau on the board, to electing several members at large. Whatever the solution, we need to find a way to take long-term planning of the national capital out of partisan hands.

And if there were more public representation on the NCC board, if the NCC answered more directly to citizens, then there’d be validity in the concept that government should be more bound to the NCC’s expert advice and decisions.

The recent agreement between the city and the NCC over a contentious bit of the proposed western LRT route shows why we need the NCC. Healthy opposition, when backed by the political will to come to a solution, can result in success. Indeed, while there will be some who don’t approve of the new plan to run the train under the Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway while expanding the riverside greenspace, many agree it’s by far the best option for the route presented so far.

The NCC plays a vital role in conserving, planning and enhancing the national aspects of our capital, both for us locals, and all Canadians. The NCC cannot be a partisan tool, ignored when its advice doesn’t suit the government of the day, its board all-but-handcuffed by legislation from making truly independent decisions. And it’s time for that to change.

twitter.com/jchianello

http://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/col...-col-chianello

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues