HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 12:56 PM

Frontier [2280 City Park Dr] | 64/73m | 20/24f | U/C

Re-development of big box plaza adjacent to Gloucester Centre and Blair Station.

Phase 1 proposal is for one 30 storey residential tower. Two additional towers proposed as part of a future phase.

Application on City website:

http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__0ZEGZ9

Renderings:

http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Im...Renderings.PDF

Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
Re-development of big box plaza adjacent to Gloucester Centre and Blair Station.

Phase 1 proposal is for one 30 storey residential tower. Two additional towers proposed as part of a future phase.

Application on City website:

http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__0ZEGZ9

Renderings:

http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Im...Renderings.PDF
I love renderings that are listed as "Not to scale"

Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 4:06 PM

Nice to see the mall stay. As dumpy as it is, it has the only supermarket and discount store on the confederation line and could usefully support TOD elsewhere.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 4:21 PM
National Capital Region

I was just there on Sunday... half the stores in the food court were not open that day. The mall definitely needs a boost.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 6:10 PM

oh yay a tower in a park yay oh yay.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 6:21 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

As Phase 1 of the long-term redevelopment of the subject property, RioCan proposes to construct a 30-storey, 90 metre residential building within Area A of the subject property, adjacent to the transit station. The proposed building would contain approximately 308 dwelling units and associated amenity areas. A single storey of parking is provided below the tower, below grade on the north side but at-grade on the south side.

Overall plan:

Southern end of overall plan:

Phase 1:

All from: http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Im...gn%20Brief.PDF

Last edited by rocketphish; Jan 13, 2016 at 1:04 AM. Reason: Image optimization.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 8:02 PM

It looks to me like they're proposing getting rid of the SilverCity movie theatre. I hope they keep it or that it gets relocated. Ever since they got rid of all the movie theatres in Centretown, the only two semi-convenient ones for us centretown dwellers are Lansdowne and Gloucester.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 8:05 PM

Isn't Silver City on the other side of City Park Drive?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Isn't Silver City on the other side of City Park Drive?
You can see its outline in the phase one drawing... And it shows to be removed or renovated in a later phase; it looks like it will either have the rear of the building clad with residences, or torn down and turned into new retail/residential.

Seems strange to get rid of a theatre that I have never seen not busy,

Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 8:23 PM

^I think you're both right.. The movie theatre is on the other side of City Park Drive and so looking at "phase 1" the movie is across the street and will definitely stay there. However, looking at the first render "long term vision", the movie theatre today is where the future park/plaza is sitting. Hard to believe they would close it as I am sure it is very lucrative and I don't see Cineplex (or whatever company manages it) to demolish it and rebuild it a few meters further in the base of a condo or office tower... hmm.. probably VERY long term anyways

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
^I think you're both right.. The movie theatre is on the other side of City Park Drive and so looking at "phase 1" the movie is across the street and will definitely stay there. However, looking at the first render "long term vision", the movie theatre today is where the future park/plaza is sitting. Hard to believe they would close it as I am sure it is very lucrative and I don't see Cineplex (or whatever company manages it) to demolish it and rebuild it a few meters further in the base of a condo or office tower... hmm.. probably VERY long term anyways
Not to mention that it's not that old or dated either, maybe a bit more than 15 years old? I still remember when it first opened and replaced the Cineplex Odeon in the mall.

Whatever they're proposing will have to work around the theater, not replace it.

Also, the Gloucester mall is in quite the unfortunate location, situated within 10 minutes of both St Laurent and Place d'Orleans, I'm not quite sure what would give it the boost it needs, considering even Walmart hasn't been able to do so.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars View Post
Not to mention that it's not that old or dated either, maybe a bit more than 15 years old? I still remember when it first opened and replaced the Cineplex Odeon in the mall.

Whatever they're proposing will have to work around the theater, not replace it.

Also, the Gloucester mall is in quite the unfortunate location, situated within 10 minutes of both St Laurent and Place d'Orleans, I'm not quite sure what would give it the boost it needs, considering even Walmart hasn't been able to do so.
Doesn't help that most of the retailers on the property (the movie theatre, the chapters/starbucks, the abandoned "outlet" stores, the gym, the restaurants, the LCBO) are disconnected from the mall - probably 90% of the customers to the site never enter the mall. Also doesn't help that the transit station isn't really connected either.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 6:47 PM

I think this development is actually going where the abandoned strip mall is (like where Mexx used to be & with Private Drive being the road that wraps around Gloucester Centre)!! That area is prime for redevelopment especially with the LRT going in and with a big condo like that going there, it would be perfect for commuters!!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Doesn't help that most of the retailers on the property (the movie theatre, the chapters/starbucks, the abandoned "outlet" stores, the gym, the restaurants, the LCBO) are disconnected from the mall - probably 90% of the customers to the site never enter the mall. Also doesn't help that the transit station isn't really connected either.
Indeed.

Unfortunately, the proposal doesn't seem to resolve this problem. Once again, Ottawa is getting Development In The General Vicinity Of Transit, which is not nearly the same thing as Transit-ORIENTED Development.

But that's Ottawa, where people never learn.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Indeed.

Unfortunately, the proposal doesn't seem to resolve this problem. Once again, Ottawa is getting Development In The General Vicinity Of Transit, which is not nearly the same thing as Transit-ORIENTED Development.

I agree. Presumably almost any other design or layout would have more appeal to potential buyers. I wonder if the Donald Street 2.0 retro 1970s look is being pushed by planners or if the real estate people think this is what sells or if this is just the cheapest possible layout.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 11:59 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Indeed.

RioCan doesn't own any land closer than this to Blair Station, so it's hard to blame them for a less-than-TOD development. It's First Capital Realty, owners of the Gloucester Centre who could really pull off a TOD if they wanted to.

http://www.firstcapitalrealty.ca/Pro...ils.aspx?id=82

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 4:55 AM

The palm trees are a nice touch

Old Posted Jan 21, 2016, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post

The palm trees are a nice touch
That's part of long term planning with Global Warming

Old Posted Jan 21, 2016, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
RioCan doesn't own any land closer than this to Blair Station, so it's hard to blame them for a less-than-TOD development. It's First Capital Realty, owners of the Gloucester Centre who could really pull off a TOD if they wanted to.

http://www.firstcapitalrealty.ca/Pro...ils.aspx?id=82
Exactly.

Considering what RioCan owns, this is a good proposal. It's pedestrian friendly, dense, and mixed use, and it masses density closer to the station. It's also reasonably compatible with any future redevelopment of the mall itself.

Between this and the QCC proposal at Cyrville, we're finally starting to see decent enough redevelopment proposals along the eastern leg of the LRT.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 3:14 PM

Why is this thread under "Suburbs"?

We're still within the Greenbelt...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa