HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 7:01 PM

Revitalization of Jacques Cartier Park

Design concepts for the revitalized Park can be found in this document: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-p...dHSkFSZGM/view

Highlights include: New event spaces, new lookouts, a new building similar to the Dow's Lake Pavillion which would contain restaurants, and the re=purposing of the soon to be abandoned monastery on rue Laurier.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureWickedCity View Post
Design concepts for the revitalized Park can be found in this document: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-p...dHSkFSZGM/view

Highlights include: New event spaces, new lookouts, a new building similar to the Dow's Lake Pavillion which would contain restaurants, and the re=purposing of the soon to be abandoned monastery on rue Laurier.
The pavillion at Dow's Lake isn't something to emulate. It looks cheap. I'd prefer something like the Harbourfront Centre at Dow's Lake.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureWickedCity View Post

So many failures... where to start? All I see is a list of future costs for poorly built structures that will be little used. And 'gravel in earth-tone hues' for a well-used casual sports field? Removing parking next to future Cirque set-ups is one fail, but paving over the remaining space with weed-strewn gravel seems a bit strange. Why not just flatten the space (which is pretty flat already) and leave the grass?

What I want is a full future cost breakdown in realistic values first.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 3:10 PM
Busy Beaver

I don't think there is anything official about that plan, it reads like a proposal from a group of people wanting it to happen.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 1:27 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

I can't even begin to verbalize how terrible this idea is. The MosaiCanada display was great, but the proposed price point is way off mark.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/mosa%C3%AF...-fee-1.3869863

Quote:
Mosaïculture returns this year but with a $20 fee

Joanne Schnurr, Reporter
@JoanneCTV

Published Tuesday, April 3, 2018 5:01PM EDT
Last Updated Tuesday, April 3, 2018 6:57PM EDT

After a hugely successful run last year, Mosaïculture is back again this year in Jacques Cartier Park. But it will cost you money this time to see the giant horticultural wonders.

Last year’s event brought in more than a million visitors but it cost the various levels of government millions of dollars to run. So this year, there will be a $20 fee to wander through.
There's a motto from Harry Potter's Hogwarts: never tickle a sleeping dragon.

That is, of course, unless you have some good news. And that’s what the National Capital Commission’s CEO Mark Kristmanson delivered today at a news conference in Gatineau.

“The NCC is delighted that the beauty of Mosaïculture will return for an encore presentation,” he said.

It seems the federal and provincial governments have put a little wind in the sails of a second version of Mosaiculture, breathing life into another year of what turned out to be an incredibly successful event. But this year it won't be free.

Lise Cormier is the Founder of MosaïCanada 150, “We made survey and people told us that if there were more exhibits and it was spectacular, they will come back,” she told reporters, “Here it will be $20 and a special deal for the citizens of Gatineau for $15, so that they can be there all the summer. I think it will not be a problem.”

That's because organizers are promising another spectacular event with the central piece, a bird tree that will hover 16 metres above the ground and feature 56 endangered birds.

Part of Canada's 150 celebration, Mosaïculture was billed as the biggest horticultural event in Canada, featuring massive sculptures covered in plants. It drew more than a million visitors, but it cost about $14 million to operate, including $5 million from the federal government.

“Mosaïculture brought in 1.3 million people,” says Greg Angus, the MP for Hull-Aylmer, “and it garnered $28 million in economic development so it was an easy sell for the economic development of our region.”

This year, the feds will kick in $1 million, Quebec will contribute $2 million and another $2 million pending from the city of Gatineau.

The event will feature 45 creations, including 10 new ones and run from June 24 to October 15.

A lot of people last year wanted to know how these structures were created. So new this year will be demonstrations including an opportunity for folks to place a plant in a work of art.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post
I can't even begin to verbalize how terrible this idea is. The MosaiCanada display was great, but the proposed price point is way off mark.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/mosa%C3%AF...-fee-1.3869863
So basically, this will be as big a flop as Mosaïvernales. Looks like they'll learn the hard way about why the display was even as successful as it was in 2017.

For reference, the Montreal Botanical Garden, which is a much bigger and much better version of MosaiCanada, charges $20 for admission to the gardens and insectarium.

For a group of 4, it will cost $80+parking to visit MosaiCanada. From what I saw of the attraction last year, I would personally never pay that much.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 2:55 PM

Lol. I remember they did a survey where they asked "how much would you have paid for this?"
Can't imagine many people answered $20.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
Lol. I remember they did a survey where they asked "how much would you have paid for this?"
Can't imagine many people answered $20.
Tourists maybe? Surly not many locals did.

I'd be okay with $10, but doubt I'll go for $20.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 5:48 PM

I think somewhere between $5 and $10 is the sweet spot where revenue would be maximized.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 6:03 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

$20 is a lot, especially considering there will only be 10 new works.

Funny, because I often feel that there's touristy stuff in this City/region that we don't charge enough/anything for ... but this goes a bit too far.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 7:27 PM

It would be nice if they had a local resident discount or a family pass you can borrow from the library.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 8:24 PM

$20 is bonkers. This is going to fail hard. And having a spacial price for Gatineau residents of $15 for a season pass is even more puzzling.

I think $10 general admission for one tour and $20 for a season pass across the board (with of course family discounts and possibly a cheaper price for children, students and seniors) would have made sense.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 12:53 AM

I think the parking was $20 alone last summer. That was sort of understandable as a way to recoup costs but $20 admission in addition to $20 parking..that would be a big no go for me.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 1:33 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Some more information in the Citizen version of the story. Also a weak-ass defense of the pricing scheme (emphasis mine)

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...on-this-summer

Quote:
Geneviève Ménard, the director of public relations with Mosaïculture Gatineau, said 30,000 people signed a petition asking for the event to come back for another year.

Unlike last year, admission to the exhibit will not be free.

It’s not so much that we’re charging a lot this year, it’s more that last year was a gift,” said Ménard.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post
Some more information in the Citizen version of the story. Also a weak-ass defense of the pricing scheme (emphasis mine)

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...on-this-summer
What the hell she is talking about? Whose gift? They got paid by the government, i.e. all of us. Then why do they feel entitled to collect double the reasonable fee to recuperate it?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 2:00 PM

Am I understanding this correctly, but for a second year, a private company is able to profit from taking over a public park?

And we're supposed to be grateful?
--Between build-and-run developers, budget-conscious planning departments, reactionary community associations and their city councillors, and the unaccountable OMB, we have more than enough bad actors sharing more than enough pathologies and perverse incentives.-David Reevely--

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 4:15 PM
Busy Beaver

It shouldn't cost more than a movie ticket. Same with museums, I think the Museum of History asking $20 for admission is too much.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
What the hell she is talking about? Whose gift? They got paid by the government, i.e. all of us. Then why do they feel entitled to collect double the reasonable fee to recuperate it?
I think what she is trying to say is last year it could be free because the government paid for it. This year, without government funding, they have to charge an admission fee. I do agree that it is too much, but can understand why they need to charge a fee in general.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
I think what she is trying to say is last year it could be free because the government paid for it. This year, without government funding, they have to charge an admission fee. I do agree that it is too much, but can understand why they need to charge a fee in general.
The amount to charge for admission is always a challenge. They are trying to maximize revenue and minimize the chance of a loss on the project. Whether a $10 admission will double attendance is hard to say. I think $20 is a lot but last year's exhibit was beautiful.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
The amount to charge for admission is always a challenge. They are trying to maximize revenue and minimize the chance of a loss on the project. Whether a $10 admission will double attendance is hard to say. I think $20 is a lot but last year's exhibit was beautiful.
That's the thing. Are they trying to maximize revenue or are they trying to cover their costs and provide an attraction to stimulate tourism (and use the cost of admission to reduce the wait times)?

Private industry is all about maximizing revenue. Government programmes should be about doing something to benefit society. That is why the privatization of the 407 was such a failure. The private company in charge is trying to maximize revenue, not just cover costs and balance traffic load.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa