HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 4:16 AM
Khurram Parvaz

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 4:25 AM

lower manhattan; 2/13/2012 by kevin scott koepke photography, on Flickr

new york city; 2/13/2012 by kevin scott koepke photography, on Flickr

Please do not repost, copy, or otherwise reproduce. Thank you.

Last edited by Kevin Scott Koepke; Feb 14, 2012 at 4:39 AM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 4:48 AM
Bionic Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan88 View Post
Carlos, This picture is great. Friday we had to have the PA call the FAA and Fox5 because helicopter was too close and bothering crane operators and iron workers during critical operations. Safety is paramount, any distraction can be a disaster.

Alan
wow!!!

DSC_5489 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 4:57 AM

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO MY CHANNEL! Coming Soon, WTC / NYC SKYLINE Day & Night Shots Vid

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO MY CHANNEL!
I just made a trip into the City to do a Photo & Video Shoot of the WTC / NYC SKYLINE of day & night shots. I frozed my butt off, but I did it for all of you WTC & Skyline Lovers! My video will be up in a few weeks. KEEP ON THE LOOKOUT for other WTC & Skyline Related videos on my Youtube Channel! I got videos from Oct that I will be working on & posting in the next few days. Also, I will be going down to the WTC site to do more day pictures & maybe go into the National 9-11 Memorial to do some photos & videos this coming Sunday sometime. So please subscribe to my channel. For all the people who is working on the WTC Project, & for the people who are doing videos & photos, your doing a great job! It's a job well done & I thank you for your Dedication to the WTC Proctect! :-) -Greg. PS. Please check out my video.

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 6:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepandfetch View Post
George Orwell was truly a brilliant man.
I was thinking the exact same thing.
(referring to the amount of security cameras planned for the site.)

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 11:15 AM

1984?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesey View Post
I was thinking the exact same thing.
(referring to the amount of security cameras planned for the site.)
I would be luckier to die in a lightning strike than a repeat attack. I'll take my chances, and live free. Giving in to that kind of fear has historically lead to a closed society. Build tall, don't give in. Please

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE View Post
Ahhhhh, I love these two pictures. Especially the last one - TALL AND MASSIVE doesn't even begin to cover it. Very pretty too!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 2:05 PM
BANNED

I know this building is going to be military safe and blast resistant and all but I'm sorry I would ever catch myself saying this but how could the glass and even the building itself stand against another possible air attack?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 3:21 PM
BANNED

WTC old/new comparison

Hi all:

I am wondering if someone with more information on this project than me would post a "to scale" comparison of the first WTC with the new WTC side by side on the skyline please.

Peterprinciple - Vancouver Canada

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 3:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117 View Post
I know this building is going to be military safe and blast resistant and all but I'm sorry I would ever catch myself saying this but how could the glass and even the building itself stand against another possible air attack?

In the event of another terrorist attack by plane, 1WTC has stronger cores in the building and will not effect its overall strength. Of course the glass will shatter, but it will not damage the MAJOR foundation of the building (like it did to the old Twin Towers).

THEN AGAIN, they did say that about the former WTC--"...architect Minoru Yamasaki designed the World Trade Center towers to withstand a collision with a Boeing 707 airplane (Federal Emergency Management Agency 2002)."

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 3:43 PM
No grabbing my banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117 View Post
Glass is glass. It will break if it's hit with enough force. And remember that the original WTC towers were designed to and were able to withstand the force of jetliners crashing into them at full speed, and also stay up for about and hour or so. Its failures weren't just that it collapsed (because of the intense heat's effect on its steel structure), but that its core was poorly shielded from the force of the airplane going through it. The core housed all of the emergency stairs, and the thousands who perished did so as a result of the lack of access to those stairs to safely reach the ground.

The new 1 WTC has been designed to withstand the force of jetliners and still stand, just as its predecessors were able to (duh). But it's main safety feature is its high-strength reinforced concrete core, which will withstand the force of the airplanes, protect the emergency stairs to allow the occupants to reach the ground safely, and resist the intense heat and help keep the overall structure from collapsing outright.

But it seems more like you're wondering if, after the event of another air attack (unlikely in this day and age), whether they could simply clean up the glass and debris, patch up some walls and install some new steel, and put up some new curtain wall. I wondered the same thing back in 2001, 30 minutes after the planes hit the towers. Ultimately, the answer is no - the building would be too dangerous to be occupied. It would have to be demolished piece by piece, and a new building would have to go up.

But in the end, the key here is saving the lives of the building's occupants. It always has been.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchan View Post
Glass is glass. It will break if it's hit with enough force. And remember that the original WTC towers were designed to and were able to withstand the force of jetliners crashing into them at full speed, and also stay up for about and hour or so. Its failures weren't just that it collapsed (because of the intense heat's effect on its steel structure), but that its core was poorly shielded from the force of the airplane going through it. The core housed all of the emergency stairs, and the thousands who perished did so as a result of the lack of access to those stairs to safely reach the ground.

The new 1 WTC has been designed to withstand the force of jetliners and still stand, just as its predecessors were able to (duh). But it's main safety feature is its high-strength reinforced concrete core, which will withstand the force of the airplanes, protect the emergency stairs to allow the occupants to reach the ground safely, and resist the intense heat and help keep the overall structure from collapsing outright.

But it seems more like you're wondering if, after the event of another air attack (unlikely in this day and age), whether they could simply clean up the glass and debris, patch up some walls and install some new steel, and put up some new curtain wall. I wondered the same thing back in 2001, 30 minutes after the planes hit the towers. Ultimately, the answer is no - the building would be too dangerous to be occupied. It would have to be demolished piece by piece, and a new building would have to go up.

But in the end, the key here is saving the lives of the building's occupants. It always has been.

I too have wondered about this, whether the new Wtc tower would withstand a similar type of horrible attack from a plane. I majored in homeland security and public safety college and studied the after effects of 9/11 closely. As I have mentioned previously, fortunately, in this day and age, and with all that happened to New York before, I think another attack by air is VERY unlikely, because of what happened on 9/11. We now have that as a reference point. Before that, such an attack wasn't even conceived of..Now, we have air marshalls, and passengers would not stand for it. They would fight back. And if, god forbid, there was another hijacking, the plane would be shot down before it had the chance to do any damage. New York is the central focus of counter-terrorism efforts now, and there are probably many security measures we don't even know of..Basically, another airplane attack is NOT going to happen again. 9/11 was a one-shot deal. Of course, there is always the risk of another 1993 Ramzi Yousef-type ground-level bombing, that may be more likely, but with security and contingencies the way they are now, I think that is unlikely as well, due to the huge amount of cameras, security redundancies that will be in place at the base of the tower. It may be on some crazy terrorsits' target list, but I think we can all rest pretty easy that the new WTC will not attacked again due to the tragedy of 9/11 and the many security mindsets and protocols that have been put in place since.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE View Post
A few months old
Your picture with the F-15s is about 124 months old.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 5:41 PM
Khurram Parvaz

^ I wasn't talking about the F-15 pic. I was talking about the pic from Jersey City.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 6:05 PM
Editor

I love the way this building is turning out

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 6:20 PM
Bionic Boogie

Saving all my love for you WTC!

they are working on top.......

DSC_5498 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 6:24 PM
Bionic Boogie

DSC_5494 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 6:26 PM
Bionic Boogie

conspiracy theories....

DSC_5494 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr

DSC_5494a copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterprinciple View Post
Hi all:

I am wondering if someone with more information on this project than me would post a "to scale" comparison of the first WTC with the new WTC side by side on the skyline please.

Peterprinciple - Vancouver Canada
Yes you can. Credits to STR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR View Post
I think the word you're looking for is "wave" instead of "swim." What you're seeing is called the Moiré effect, and is occurs when your antialiasing is set too low, or is off.

New Tower 1368'0" to parapet. Old Tower: 1362'0" to Parapet, 1368'7" to roof peak, which rounds out to the tower actually being 1,369 feet tall. Interesting.
Quote:
It always sucks to have PC issues.

Continuing work on the roof.

Most of the exterior is done.

Railing added. Thanks to some foresight, this actually took only a few minutes to create.

4 World Trade Center, Under Construction

4 World Trade Center, Under Construction
Quote:
Exterior largely complete to the 110th floor slab. Just need to add the roof and it's all interior details from here on out.

Quote:
You're new here, so I'll put this nicely: Use the edit button. it's annoying to have 4 posts in a row from one guy all posted within an hour of each other. It clutters up threads and makes it harder to keep in order.

Getting back to my project, did some interior work and testing on materials.
The testing and tweaking of materials was interesting, since the building is highly reflective. Just changing the surroundings makes for a marked difference.

And the interior work.

Comparing bases.

Quote:

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Totally off topic, but does anyone else notice that the Goldman Sachs tower seems to glow with hellfire? It's lights are as bright as WTC's construction lights, but they aren't construction lights anymore. It's a little freaky.
I agree I am wondering the same thing. Is the interior not finished yet, that all the lights are constantly on?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive