HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctk2014 View Post
The last page in their DRC package hints at a future tower at the back.

http://livablebuckhead.com/wp-conten...DRC-562015.pdf
That would be the Parking deck for this tower. The church currently on the site is a significant mid-century building by a well known local modernist-- Preserving buildings like this should be a priority for the city.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 3:04 PM

Stratford Road is going to be a disaster once that tower opens. They need to at least connect it to Alliance Center if North Buckhead won't allow the tunnel under Lenox Road.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 3:06 PM
Topher’s 2 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge View Post
That would be the Parking deck for this tower. The church currently on the site is a significant mid-century building by a well known local modernist-- Preserving buildings like this should be a priority for the city.
Burn it down!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 4:12 PM

Quote:
The last page of the DRC packet illustrated a potential Phase II tower wrapping the deck along Stratford and facing Skyhouse.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkyWay View Post
Stratford Road is going to be a disaster once that tower opens. They need to at least connect it to Alliance Center if North Buckhead won't allow the tunnel under Lenox Road.
I just left Atlanta last week and decided to drive through other areas of the city. Before moving to Plaza Midtown, Post Stratford was the first place I lived from NYC. It's amazing that so many towers on that one street alone have been built. There was not one tower on that street. No one would've ever imagined that type of development. We all know that development in Midtown has been incredible. Some of you have posted before and after pics of Midtown from the 70's, 80's, and 90's and compare them to today. But Buckhead if compared to what was there in the 80's or 90' is really amazing too.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 7:08 PM

Building permit filed for The Sutton in Buckhead.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctk2014 View Post
The last page of the DRC packet illustrated a potential Phase II tower wrapping the deck along Stratford and facing Skyhouse.

Sure enough-- and Yes preservation, especially of good mid-century buildings is important.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 9:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Are you referencing the 5000 sq ft mid-century building that has a Cash for Gold sign in the window by the MARTA station and in the densest area of Buckhead? I am sorry, but this is where preservation and development must diverge and common sense have a seat at the table.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
Are you referencing the 5000 sq ft mid-century building that has a Cash for Gold sign in the window by the MARTA station and in the densest area of Buckhead? I am sorry, but this is where preservation and development must diverge and common sense have a seat at the table.
Current appropriate use (or lack thereof) doesn't necessarily deem a building unworthy of preservation.
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7727...7i13312!8i6656

I'm sad to see that church building go.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 5:51 AM

Alta at the Park

Alta at the Park taken from 11th and Piedmont. Really hoping they don't just paint this end of the building gray like the west-facing end of Azure.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 12:41 PM

Map of the 21 new bike share locations on the eastside. These are supposed to be installed and opened next month. At the same time, the 100 existing bikes will be sent to a different city, and 500 new bikes will be introduced. There are 27 existing bike share stations, bringing the total up to 48 stations. More are planned for later in spring/summer, including several stations around Georgia Tech and at Coca-Cola headquarters.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
It is the former Christian Science Church and the work of an acclaimed Mid-Century Atlanta Architect-- Joe Amisano.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Map of the 21 new bike share locations on the eastside. These are supposed to be installed and opened next month. At the same time, the 100 existing bikes will be sent to a different city, and 500 new bikes will be introduced. There are 27 existing bike share stations, bringing the total up to 48 stations. More are planned for later in spring/summer, including several stations around Georgia Tech and at Coca-Cola
Man I am hoping they are replacing those 3-speeds with 10 speeds! It is painful watching people trying to get around on any include with those bikes. Even on the BeltLine it's looked like a struggle! I hope we see a lot more biking infrstructure expanded throughout the city. IMO, BeltLine to Downtown should be accessible by bike with separated lanes, no matter which neighborhood along the BeltLine you're at.

Thanks for sharing the map! Any idea if #16 is on the BeltLine or on Ponce de Leon Place?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Man I am hoping they are replacing those 3-speeds with 10 speeds! It is painful watching people trying to get around on any include with those bikes. Even on the BeltLine it's looked like a struggle! I hope we see a lot more biking infrstructure expanded throughout the city. IMO, BeltLine to Downtown should be accessible by bike with separated lanes, no matter which neighborhood along the BeltLine you're at.

Thanks for sharing the map! Any idea if #16 is on the BeltLine or on Ponce de Leon Place?
I was told the new bikes will be 6 speed or 8 speed... I forget which, but either way they will have more gears. Also the baskets on the front will have smaller holes so you can actually put stuff in there. #16 will be at the Beltline entrance on Greenwood Ave.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
I was told the new bikes will be 6 speed or 8 speed... I forget which, but either way they will have more gears. Also the baskets on the front will have smaller holes so you can actually put stuff in there. #16 will be at the Beltline entrance on Greenwood Ave.
Awesome- all great functional improvements. Glad that #16 will be at greenwood Ave on the BL. Atlanta is well on its way to be a biking city. Last mile connectivity about a mile or two outside the beltline seems it could be filled by biking.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Awesome- all great functional improvements. Glad that #16 will be at greenwood Ave on the BL. Atlanta is well on its way to be a biking city. Last mile connectivity about a mile or two outside the beltline seems it could be filled by biking.
I noticed new bike stations just south of CNN Center and at Tech Square walking yesterday. The one at Tech had 2 bikes and the one near CNN was completely empty, so they are being used I guess. I've noticed a substantial number of bikers all over downtown, Grant Park, Edgewood and SoNo as the weather has warmed this year compared to last. My family is excited about the one going in at Grant Park soon. Hopefully more will follow in the Turner Field area especially with the redevelopment and all the 1000s of people that park there daily.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 5:38 PM

If they put bikeshare stations in Ormewood Park, Glenwood Park, and/or East Atlanta, I'd definitely use it a lot. Hope they keep expanding...

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 6:15 PM

Quote:
It is the former Christian Science Church and the work of an acclaimed Mid-Century Atlanta Architect-- Joe Amisano.
I went in that church one time, just out of curiosity. It was surprisingly airy inside.

I have also wondered if there is a secret tunnel between the church and the reading room up on Peachtree. Does anyone know about that?

Here's a good article from Curbed, with photos.

Concrete Church Could Go Way of Dante's: Down the Hatch

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 7:08 PM

Opus Place to begin construction by October this year and complete by 2020. Penthouses will cost upwards of $12 million

http://atlanta.curbed.com/2017/3/23/...october-launch

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 8:23 PM
Kev K

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
Opus Place to begin construction by October this year and complete by 2020
That certainly would be the perfect final piece in an impressive tight grouping of new buildings centered within 2 blocks of 14th & W Peachtree:
  • Atlantic House
  • Opus Place
  • Amli Arts Center
  • Apogee Midtown
  • Marriott Dual-branded Hotel
  • 1105 West Peachtree - Starts this summer and three towers?
  • 1270 Spring St
  • Northside MOB

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations