Provincial Bumpkin

Was that directed at me?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 4:06 AM
Look up, Waaaaaay up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
Was that directed at me?
We're you quoted? No.
Just a funny DSLR video I just found and put our photography gear thread.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 7:19 AM

Quote:
Question... so, the girl moved and left me alone here in Denver. And she took my cameras with her. Grr. But that means, I need something new.

I am a Canon guy... I want a general walkaround DSLR. Looking at body only. Don't want to spend the money for a 5D (or even the new 6D) just now.

That leaves me the 7D, the 60D, or a T4i. I hate to admit it, but despite the better specs in the 7D, for my walkaround/travel body, I kind of want the tilty LCD in back.

Which brings me to the 60D. Anybody have any experience with it? I am deathly afraid that I'll buy it tomorrow, and the 70D will be announced Wednesday... but that said, it seems reasonable enough. Plastic body isn't great, but it's weather sealed, and I tend not to drop stuff, so that's all that matters.

I've got a Death Valley/Joshua Tree road trip, and a Middle East trip in the next two months, so I am on a clock. And not sure I want to do it with solely with my fun little S100.

Thoughts? I'd appreciate any firsthand experience anybody has.
The 7D is nearing the end of its life cycle. Sounds like early next year the 70D might come out and merge the 7D and 60D. http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=9999.0 But that is just a rumor for now. When is your trip? Might be worth waiting a until a few weeks prior to see what is announced. I can vouch that the 7D is a solid camera. Mine went through a lot of abuse and still works great. Never used a 60D. You might want to ask Xander202, he is the only one I know that has used one.

I would guess that the new 70D/ 7DII would be ~1,800.00. Do you already have Canon lenses? If you have a set price limit, you should consider what combo body and lens you can get. Getting the 7D w/ a crappy lens would be worse than the 60D and a better lens.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 3:52 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

No matter what you decide on, be sure to not spend all of your coin on the body and neglect one or two good walkaround lenses... My two favorite lenses are my Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and my Sigma 10-20 wide angle lenses, bar none. Mine are for Nikon, but I know these are available for Canon mount as well.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 5:50 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

Quote:
Which brings me to the 60D. Anybody have any experience with it? I am deathly afraid that I'll buy it tomorrow, and the 70D will be announced Wednesday... but that said, it seems reasonable enough. Plastic body isn't great, but it's weather sealed, and I tend not to drop stuff, so that's all that matters.

I've got a Death Valley/Joshua Tree road trip, and a Middle East trip in the next two months, so I am on a clock. And not sure I want to do it with solely with my fun little S100.

I haven't given my 60D the workout I gave my 50D or old XT, but so far I'm quite happy with it. I have yet to have an issue with it. Purchased in May, heavily used for about 2 weeks and off & on since.

What did you shoot with before?

Flickr®

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 6:19 PM

I picked up the Sigma 24-70 f2.8 a few months back and I'm very pleasantly surprised by the quality for the price! I have a whole range of prime lenses but I'm not able to walk around without a bag because this one covers 90% of what I do!

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okayyou View Post
You might want to ask Xander202, he is the only one I know that has used one.
I have nothing bad to say about the 60D. I recently upgraded to 5D mark ii, and although the image quality is clearly better, for the price difference I think you can't go wrong with the 60D. It is still current as well (for now), and many of the features and technology of it are far newer than the 5d mark ii, and look newer too. The flip out screen is fantastic for example. I agree that you would be better off with a 60D and great lens than 7D and crapy lens. That said, if you can get a great lens and the 7D then opt for that.

I wouldn't worry too much about whether the camera is reaching the end of its cycle. Just because a newer and better version comes out (for 3 times the price), it doesn't suddenly make what was considered a great camera by professionals a worthless camera overnight.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2012, 8:43 AM

I'm still using the 12 mp Canon Xti...basically Canon's entry level dSLR from about 5 years ago.

No money for any upgrades. I shoot mostly with the cheap plastic kit lens - 18 to 55 mm. It gets the job done most of the time when I need it. I do have a 50 mm prime (the "nifty fifty) I use for portraits, and a 100 mm prime I use when I need more "zoom," so to speak. Both are fairly sharp for non L-series lenses, which I had to sell all four of mine back in the day.

I might spring for the 60D or T3i some day.

--don

Last edited by Don B.; Nov 14, 2012 at 9:01 AM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2012, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witty Nickname View Post
Great video. I'll have to check out the rest of their videos when I have a chance.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2012, 9:37 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don B. View Post
I'm still using the 12 mp Canon Xti...basically Canon's entry level dSLR from about 5 years ago.
I loved my old 8mp Rebel (XT?). Was my first jump from film, did me good.

Thanks for the input everybody. Went with a 60D. Had to get something, and it seemed a good compromise between getting something reliable and spending money I don't have. If it works for Xander it's more than enough for me! We'll see how it likes my walkaround lens (the only bit of gear I have left to my name) and go from there.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 1:18 AM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Question... so, the girl moved and left me alone here in Denver. And she took my cameras with her. Grr. But that means, I need something new.

I am a Canon guy... I want a general walkaround DSLR. Looking at body only. Don't want to spend the money for a 5D (or even the new 6D) just now.

That leaves me the 7D, the 60D, or a T4i. I hate to admit it, but despite the better specs in the 7D, for my walkaround/travel body, I kind of want the tilty LCD in back.

Here's a decent package deal if you need everything:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-Canon-Mo...item2316303fab

But personally I would get this sony unit here. You get way more camera and lens for your buck and it has the nice swivel screen your looking for:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-SLT-A77...item3374fbc6b4

My Book

Old Posted Nov 19, 2012, 2:55 AM

I was contacted about someone purchasing a picture from me. The picture was in my Daily Delaware thread on SSC, and it will be printed out on 2,500 Christmas cards for some company's employees.

They have asked if there is already a price for the picture, and if I can send them a watermarked comp.

As for price, I've sold two pictures before: one for $675 that was used for an AT&T TV commercial, and one for $500 that was used by Hyundai for a Boston Red Sox print ad. I was thinking of telling them the truth, and that my pictures go for that much. Comments?

Also, what is a comp, and how do I make a watermark?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2012, 2:35 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

The company sounds pretty big with 2,500 employees. I have no clue how much you could charge for the photo, but I would suspect they're not budgeting a lot for this kind of internal thing.

Most photo editing programs can do a watermark. Just do some kind of embossed, near-transparent text across the middle of the photo. I think they're asking for a watermarked sample for them to test on their card design, if they like it, they'll pay you for the non-watermarked version.

Flickr®

Old Posted Nov 19, 2012, 9:50 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
I was contacted about someone purchasing a picture from me. The picture was in my Daily Delaware thread on SSC, and it will be printed out on 2,500 Christmas cards for some company's employees.

They have asked if there is already a price for the picture, and if I can send them a watermarked comp.

As for price, I've sold two pictures before: one for $675 that was used for an AT&T TV commercial, and one for $500 that was used by Hyundai for a Boston Red Sox print ad. I was thinking of telling them the truth, and that my pictures go for that much. Comments?

Also, what is a comp, and how do I make a watermark?
I would advise them of previous companys you have worked with and then list your asking price. You can also do research about licensing here:

http://asmp.org/tutorials/licensing-...l#.UKqpCHnI880

For watermarks you need photoshop. Pretty simple to do unless you want a vector image (one that will adjust appropreiately to size adjustment) but you dont really need anything that fancy here since they have a size in mind already. Just a bit of simple layering.

My Book

Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 8:13 PM

If you don't plan on getting all fancy with the watermark then you could just use a site like PicMonkey.com to add the text and make it transparent. I'm not sure if there's a site that lets you make actual logos...

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 3:09 PM

Tried using quickr pickr yesterday,nothing works anymore,looks like the site is abandoned (bugs are never fixed)...anyone know of an alternative way of posting threads quickly?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.John View Post
Tried using quickr pickr yesterday,nothing works anymore,looks like the site is abandoned (bugs are never fixed)...anyone know of an alternative way of posting threads quickly?
I was getting close to giving up posting here since quickr pickr was getting too buggy and individually linking 100 images is not worth the time. But I did some digging and found this. Tested it, it works. Way better than quickrpickr as you can design your thread code on the fly. Only catch is you have to have your images in a set, but using the flickr organizer is pretty easy.

http://includr.vispillo.org/#

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 2:14 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don B. View Post

No money for any upgrades. I shoot mostly with the cheap plastic kit lens - 18 to 55 mm. It gets the job done most of the time when I need it. I do have a 50 mm prime (the "nifty fifty) I use for portraits, and a 100 mm prime I use when I need more "zoom," so to speak. Both are fairly sharp for non L-series lenses, which I had to sell all four of mine back in the day.

I might spring for the 60D or T3i some day.

--don
I used an "OG" Digital Rebel from 2003 until this past March when it crapped out on me in Hawaii otherwise I'd be still using it now. I've since upgraded to the 7D but I took some great pics with that thing rivaling my current camera.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 1:01 AM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.John View Post
Ask I am hydrogen. I told me a fix to use the full size pics last time I used it.

My Book

Old Posted Dec 25, 2012, 1:05 AM

With the Black Friday deals available about a month ago, I treated myself to a new camera, since my old one was dying. I ended up getting a Canon ELPH 520 HS. I got it mainly for the good zooming capabilities over other point-and-shoot cameras. As someone interested in geography and also someone who likes to explore places (as evidenced by the photo threads over the years), having a great zoom when going places will be pretty cool.

I decided that with some time off on Christmas Eve, that I would go out and test the zoom on this camera. I drove down to Delaware City, where there is a nice view of the Wilmington skyline (about 12 miles/19 kilometers away). This is what the camera gave me with 48x digital zoom. The first one is real colors, and the second one I auto-corrected the colors on my computer to pronounce things.

Here's the skyline with the 12x optical zoom. Other landmarks are also visible, like the Astra Zeneca office tower in Fairfax on the left (about 15 miles/24 kilometers away), as well as the New Castle Range Lights right below that office tower (used for ship navigation), and the steeples and cupolas of the colonial town of New Castle on the right.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography