HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrum23 View Post
Interesting article from Time magazine saying Texas may be the most likely to land HQ2

http://time.com/money/5374835/amazon...e-frontrunner/

Austin and Dallas/Fort Worth got the highest ratings of any city in the US by CNBC to land HQ2.

If they came to Austin, all bets are off. AUS would probably need to expand even more than they are proposing.

BTW, on second glance, I now think the bridge concept isn't that bad after all. If it gets the gates online faster, I am all for it. I will be looking forward to seeing the actual design layout when it is posted online.
Funny. The New York Times did an analysis when the competition first started and said the only city in the US that had everything Amazon was looking for was Denver. (I, personally, remain convinced it’ll be DC.)

Given that I live in a neighborhood that can only be accessed through the mess of 183 construction, I am utterly unenthusiastic about HQ2 and the additional strain it would put on our already overstretched infrastructure. I’m just back from a week in Mexico and, I kid you not, the number of times I commented that driving there is SO MUCH EASIER than driving here ...

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 5:46 PM

I don’t know if this has been mentioned yet but Deta has just cancelled the PIT-CDG 767 route. I wonder if that aircraft will be going to TPA or if the plane that went to Tampa was from the cancelled EWR-AMS route. If the plane used from EWR-AMS is being used for TPA now then Deta has a 767 available.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, DL is using those 767’s on TPA and the second daily JFK route respectively, so that’s not an option. That is why I exppressed skepticism that a route would be announced, but I guess we’ll see.
Maybe we’ll get an A350

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, DL is using those 767’s on TPA and the second daily JFK route respectively, so that’s not an option. That is why I exppressed skepticism that a route would be announced, but I guess we’ll see.
We’ll see indeed, don’t quote me on this but I think we are after TPA in Delta’s eyes, so I think we should see the announcement next.

It would be awesome if it was on an A350!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khowaga View Post
Maybe we’ll get an A350
Just what I was thinking. Would love that. I flew on one a couple of weeks ago. Great airplane.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 9:38 PM

Very minor -- the weekly spreadsheet on A.net of OAG changes confirms that Norwegian's (apparently now-seasonal) service resumes in May (still looks like 3x per week); it also appears that Frontier is quietly dropping Austin-Tampa as of October.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 12:11 AM

Quote:
This DL vs WN battle at DAL is getting interesting.

https://www.dmagazine.com/publicatio...e-field-gates/

I have to wonder if they will be fighting similar battles over gates at AUS in the coming decade.
The DAL situation is a lot more complicated than the article lets on since it has to do with the former Wright Amendment and City of Dallas restrictions that were put in place to ‘protect’ DFW. It’s way too complicated for me to remember all the details, but ... well, it’s a long nasty history.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 8:50 PM

I don't see any comparison to ABIA since gates will continued to be added indefinitely. However, for Delta's apparent plans for ABIA as a focus city and future hub eventually, having a multi flights a day schedule from Austin to Houston and Dallas (whether the new or old airports in each) is likely intended in time.

Southwest wants to monopolize DAL and use the artificial use restrictions to achieve that. American wants that too as it supports DFW. DAL needs more gates and competition, which is in consumer's best interests. The original concern decades ago that DFW wouldn't stand on its own if DAL wasn't restricted hasn't been valid for a long time. DFW is the 4th busiest airport in the country.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 9:49 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumu View Post
DFW is the 4th busiest airport in the country.
12th in the World based on 2017 stats.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 2:04 AM

O

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 23, 2020 at 6:42 AM.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
One only needs to look at the monsters in the pipeline to be built DT. They directly correlate with future air service. As the skyline grows so will air service. Boom.....

Also all three of the TATL routes took me off guard when announced. They did not have a press release prior to the announcement. I dig pretty deep at the port and was absolutely caught off guard when they were announced. The port does a good job keeping things secret. I guess what I'm saying is don't be surprised if the port hits us with something big any day now.
Ooohhh! @khowaga, fingers crossed for Air Koryo!

I agree with your points and think we are in some limbo state right now. I won’t be surprised at all if we start seeing a ramp up in announcements later this year or once the extension has a firm opening date. Right now it is rumored to be opening before SXSW.

Delta’s addition of TPA service was an un welcomed blow though, we all probably thought Austin was next.

Last edited by masonh2479; Aug 29, 2018 at 3:19 AM.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 2:41 AM

[QUOTE=masonh2479;8297239]Ooohhh! @khowaga, fingers crossed for Air Koryo!

I

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 23, 2020 at 6:42 AM.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 2:50 AM

http://www.north-korea-travel.com/im...oryo-plane.jpg
Think this could handle the distance?? Probably not, but I like this plane.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
Boots on the ground here at ABIA.....just providing info my friend....How's the weather where your located?

And with that I'm signing off......
Thank you for being a consistent source of great information regarding the port! The weather near me is not so great. We are having record flooding right now and a storm that just passed through developed a few tornadoes, I got to see one and check that off my bucket list. It was a small one in a field, no damage.

I have been noticing with my posts that auto correct has been messing with me, I need to proofread better...

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
With the power of their god like great leader, anything is possible!

I do agree that Soviet era planes look really nice, especially those from Ilyushin.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Probably, but they have one of the Airbusky 340 rip-of...I mean, Tupolev planes that look remarkably similar to, but are in no way inspired by, the Airbus A340 ... that they use to fly their 12 weekly passengers on longer routes.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh2479 View Post
With the power of their god like great leader, anything is possible!

I do agree that Soviet era planes look really nice, especially those from Ilyushin.
Dear Leader, Mason. Great leader is dead, although still legally head of state (no, seriously).

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 3:10 PM

Quote:
My brother has flown on that beauty. Seemed like one that you definitely want to join the mileage club for when they show up here.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 1:56 AM
Meh

Man, I swear, I can go out camping in the front yard waiting on that big bird to fly over, sitting there all quiet and patient with my camera not wanting to frighten it away, and nada. It always goes the other way. But, I can go out without my camera doing whatever yardly things watering and feeding the plants or trimming the dead stuff or mowing or taking out the trash or giving my dog a bath, and it flies over. It's always when I don't have my camera because I shouldn't have it when I'm doing something else. I saw the 747 fly over tonight. I heard it and looked up, and it flew right over us to the south. It was beautiful with the sunset tonight and then it disappeared into the clouds. That plane is sneaky.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Man, I swear, I can go out camping in the front yard waiting on that big bird to fly over, sitting there all quiet and patient with my camera not wanting to frighten it away, and nada. It always goes the other way. But, I can go out without my camera doing whatever yardly things watering and feeding the plants or trimming the dead stuff or mowing or taking out the trash or giving my dog a bath, and it flies over. It's always when I don't have my camera because I shouldn't have it when I'm doing something else. I saw the 747 fly over tonight. I heard it and looked up, and it flew right over us to the south. It was beautiful with the sunset tonight and then it disappeared into the clouds. That plane is sneaky.
And loud. You know exactly what it is when you hear it. And I feel your pain. I never have time to grab my camera because by the time I hear it, its overhead. As loud and distinct sounding as it is, it gives little warning of its arrival.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin