HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
Central Point Condos are a great first step, but adding 5-6 more, similar density, would be huge.
I went to a party last month in the Central Point Condos...I was impressed. Loved the way the units were set up...but there's nothing around them. You're right, get some more buildings that size, some restaurants, grocery stores, bars, other amenities...the infrastructure is there for development, just needs to happen.

In our lifetimes, please.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 5:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Wow, I'm lovin all this development news coming out of the Park City area. Park City continues to heap so much capital and prestige onto the greater Salt Lake City Metro.

Park City to become largest ski area in the Nation...Canyons Resort name to change and incorporate into Park City

Vail Resorts details blueprints for 'centerpiece' gondola > It will connect PCMR and Canyons Resort, summer construction planned

This is BIG news! Wow! That will be one super resort for the more well-to-do for sure.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 2:57 PM

^^^
I think or at least hope that locals will have plenty of discount options and seasonal passes.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2014, 7:31 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

As I know unfortunately find myself driving around the burbs all day for my new job (sort lived hopefully) I stopped into the new Dry Creek at East Village apartments at the Sandy City Center Trax stop. The first couple of buildings are open and starting to be occupied. The interesting thing about it is that the massive west end of the Park n Ride parking lots have been fenced off and it appears as if it might be more apartments for Dry Creek. I had noticed in the past that the Park n Ride was very over sized ever since they extended Trax to the south and those west parking lots were always vacant. If these are more apartments I am glad that UTA saw that there was a higher and better use for that land rather than parking. If these are new apartments they will be a huge boon for Trax ridership as most of them will be within a hundred yards or less of the Trax Platorm, as long as they provide easy pedestrian access to the platform.

I am glad to see true TOD's starting to pop up, providing many more living options across the Wasatch Front. You don't count Station Park.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2014, 12:35 AM

Drove down 9th East yesterday, and at about 36th South across from Fat Cats, there's a new 5 story apt. going up. Actually, it's already up. Came out of nowhere. Trippy.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2015, 12:40 AM

On Mountview Corridor, between Daybreak and Herriman High School (11800 south ish) they are building what looks like 3 hotels or one big one. I never have time to stop and take a better look. I can't find anything online about what it might be wondering if anyone would know.

And just to be nice I'm posting this pic I took off of Real Salt Lakes facebook page of their new video board on the south side of the stadium.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2015, 1:27 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllOutOfBubbleGum View Post
On Mountview Corridor, between Daybreak and Herriman High School (11800 south ish) they are building what looks like 3 hotels or one big one. I never have time to stop and take a better look. I can't find anything online about what it might be wondering if anyone would know.

And just to be nice I'm posting this pic I took off of Real Salt Lakes facebook page of their new video board on the south side of the stadium.

Now we can view the visiting teams raise those trophies on that new big screen.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Jan 9, 2015, 7:54 AM
Bring out the cranes...

More development coming to Sandy.

https://fbcdn-photos-h-a.akamaihd.ne...92a7191c27564e
Rendering of a five-story 125,000 square foot office building. First of three.

nContact, a leading provider of cloud contact center software and contact center agent optimization tools, is known throughout the industry for its rapid expansion and growth. As such, the company is emphasizing that good news with the announcement of its latest project, a nearly 350,000 square foot campus and headquarters in Sandy, Utah.

The new campus will begin with a 125,000-square-foot building with plans to include two additional buildings for a total of more than 350,000 square feet of office space throughout the project. To accommodate the influx of new people to the area, inContact Center, as it will be called, will feature a four-story parking structure

More at this link.
http://call-center-workforce-optimiz...-expansion.htm

Old Posted Jan 9, 2015, 4:57 PM

Projects, that seems like major news to me. Thanks for the post. I really do believe that projects like this signal that the big Cairns Project is becoming a reality over the next few years. You just can't ignore the advantages of that location. It might not be everyone's cup of tea, but it is going to happen. Hopefully, the Cairns Project will necessitate a lot of progress with excellent infrastructure and public transit access in all it's forms.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2015, 2:03 AM
The Drifter

I ment to ask a week ago about some dirt I had seen being moved around across the street from the South Town Expo Center but that post answers that question.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2015, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Sandy is basically that suburb that wishes it was a major city but seems to have no clue what an actual city center looks like.
That's better than being a suburb that wants to be a suburb, no?

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Jan 11, 2015, 12:31 AM

Zagg's become a pretty big Utah company.They're moving from SSL to the new office building a part of the Bingham Junction development in Midvale. Right across from where Overstock.com is building.

http://www.utahbusiness.com/articles...00_sf_location

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 4:32 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Drove past the future InContact campus site on state street yesterday and that development is well underway. Site is fenced off, ground is broken up with big piles of dirt moved off to the side. Phase one of this development includes a 125,000 SF five story building and a four level parking garage. Glad to see that site finally getting develop.
Also, nothing has happen yet on the site where those 26-story apartments are going across city hall. They had the ground breaking over a month ago but there's not so much of a trailer on site yet. Why the hell have a ground breaking if development is still MONTHS away or never happens? Drives me nuts. Get the funding first, work out all the BS before you developers tease us with a ground breaking that follows with months of nothing-less afterwards. Still think this development is just another Sandy City we want towers pipe dream.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 7:01 PM
BANNED

I think what sandy should do is just focus on building apartments around city hall and the stadium. Also they should focus on a warehouse-looking type district around Rio Tinto. Sandy should really take advantage of having Major League in their own back yard. If Sandy were to focus on apartments, warehouse-type looking district, it would really help. It would kind of bring that British feel and environment around the soccer stadium, which would be really cool.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 7:16 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumberJack View Post
I think what sandy should do is just focus on building apartments around city hall and the stadium. Also they should focus on a warehouse-looking type district around Rio Tinto. Sandy should really take advantage of having Major League in their own back yard. If Sandy were to focus on apartments, warehouse-type looking district, it would really help. It would kind of bring that British feel and environment around the soccer stadium, which would be really cool.
There is some kind of a mix-use vision for that area around Rio Tinto Stadium. I believe its called North Village. Agreed there needs to be housing. I would also add a need for restaurants, pubs, retail, a hotel or two with a parking garage for the fans visiting for the games.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 7:39 PM
BANNED

What bothers me most about Sandy is their lack of development around the stadium. When you see MLS clubs and the cities they're located in such as Seattle, Portland, NYC FC, Toronto FC, Columbus Crew SC, Orlando City, invest so much into the areas around their stadiums with pubs, restaurants, brand image, marketing, etc., then you see Sandy and RSL, well it's very disappointing and sad.

It drives me crazy when you see new MLS clubs such as Atlanta, Miami, NYC FC, Orlando City, in the process or with plans of building these amazing looking stadiums and also with great things being built around their future stadiums....and then you have Rio Tinto in Sandy that has Diamond Rental right next door, Classic Skating, a credit union, a random run-down house, all next door to the stadium.

Also it drives me crazy when you see cities such as Sacramento, Minneapolis, San Antonio, trying to do whatever they can to get the last MLS club in their city, and then you have Sandy that doesn't take advantage of having a club in their city that other cities would be dying for.

Also SLC Projects, as we all know there is a difference with having a vision of what to do around the stadium and actually building it. And never building a vision is a common theme in Sandy.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 11:26 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

While I like the idea, and I honestly think it will happen, of more residential and other development surrounding Rio Tinto Stadium. I don't think you can really just create a Warehouse district out of nothing. Warehouse districts are called that because it truly is an area composed of old warehouses, near the city center that have now been converted to offices and residential. You can't really create that because then it's just faux warehouse and that's just lame.

For those that have been on the forum a long time they are aware that I am not a fan of Sandy for the most part, particularly their overly grandiose plans to become the next "downtown" but to say that Sandy is failing at developing around RIO Tinto compared to other cities surrounding their stadiums is not accurate.

Seattle is impressive because they play at Century Link field which the surrounding area is built up because it's an NFL stadium.

Portland was wise and built there's an existing downtown neighborhood, which was already more urban in nature and probably has seen some growth around it due to the stadium being there, but also because it is just that, part of downtown.

NYC FC will be playing at Yankee stadium, already built up because it's Yankee stadium.

Toronto FC plays in The Rogers Center, Home of the Blue Jays.

Columbus Crew plays in a stadium with an interstate on one side, a Lowe's next door and is surrounded by a sea of parking. Across the street from the sea of parking is a residential neighborhood.

Orlando will have their own stadium for the 2016 season. Which will be adjacent to the Amway Center of the Magic, an already established area surrounding an existing sports facility.

So really the only true Soccer specific stadium of the first ones you listed that is surround by development is Portland, which was built in downtown Portland.

From what I can find Miami doesn't even have a start date for their MLS team yet because they don't have a site or financing for the stadium in place yet.

Yes the Soccer Specific stadium that are proposed, like Atlanta and Orlando do have big plans, but just like when Rio Tinto was announced they too had big plans for the surrounding area, they just have yet to come to fruition. The fact that there is an entertainment venue already across the street from Rio Tinto is already leaps and bounds ahead of some stadiums.

Yes these other clubs do have amazing looking stadium proposals, but in my opinion Rio Tinto is an absolutely gorgeous stadium.

Columbus Crew Stadium. Not very impressive IMO

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 2:49 AM

Lets also understand that Portland's Stadium was the old Baseball stadium that has been there for 30+ years. This is the stadiums most famous moment https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkV6h3b7DH8

If we were to rate stadiums right now in the MLS, Real Salt Lakes would be a top 5 location.

San Jose's new stadium is at the Airport

New England is in a really bad place.

Kansas Cities; although KC people like it, that thing is out 30 minutes from Downtown by a Racetrack.

Chicago's is at the Fairgrounds way out from the city

Colorado's ... bahahahaha might be in one of the worst spots.

FC Dallas; In a city that's about like Lehi or Layton and why out from Dallas

LA Galaxy; really that is not in a great location and I would take Sandy over Carson City, plus no LA traffic.

I'll leave the 3 Canadian teams out of this, although neither of them are in ideal situations.

Red Bulls; some reason people say this is in a bad location, but I just think no one likes New Jersey

Philly; The view is amazing but the area around it has still not reached it's potential

Atlanta's is really not ideal, even if it's in a new stadium but the owner gets to save money.

New York FC; that's going to get old real quick.

Of all of these Orlando is going to build in a location that is great, just hope the stadium is great as well.

Houston's perfect

And the Crews new owners love their stadium so much that they want to move out of it.

DC United has a new stadium set up however, that deal is still too fragile to say it's a done deal.

Maybe if you go to De Loy and tell him he sucks at development and the stadium is a perfect example he might get mad and do something about. Or just tell him his penis is small and he might develop something just for that too.

Plus the land around the stadium is quite uneven. It would take a lot of gradient work to get a large development going around it. The Canal also complicates things.

So chin up, I too wish Rio Tinto was in Salt Lake, but that ship is gone.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 7:10 PM
Bring out the cranes...

More detail plans for Sandy City.
http://sandy.utah.gov/fileadmin/down...nsPressKit.pdf
Notice the images on page 4. Like what I'm seeing for that area. Big improvement. However I don't believe I've ever seen a 4-way sky walkway before.

Also It looks like ground breaking is set for next month ( February 2015 ) for those 26-story housing towers. Not sure why all the news outlets said that ground was already broken for this development last month.

Another PDF
http://sandy.utah.gov/fileadmin/down...ment-small.pdf

Last edited by SLC Projects; Jan 18, 2015 at 7:21 PM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 10:18 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
More detail plans for Sandy City.
http://sandy.utah.gov/fileadmin/down...nsPressKit.pdf
Notice the images on page 4. Like what I'm seeing for that area. Big improvement. However I don't believe I've ever seen a 4-way sky walkway before.

Also It looks like ground breaking is set for next month ( February 2015 ) for those 26-story housing towers. Not sure why all the news outlets said that ground was already broken for this development last month.

Another PDF
http://sandy.utah.gov/fileadmin/down...ment-small.pdf
Wow, interesting that they included a horse on the street diagram. I also find it interesting that they don't even know exactly which corner of intersection "The Prestige" is going to be located. Unless somehow north and south are different in Sandy, by my view of the project it's going to be on the Southwest corner of Sego Lily and Centennial, yet right their in the first sentence of it states "northwest" It's call proof reading Sandy City.

I do like the massive increase in residential in the East Village area, near the Trax station. The new Dry Creek apartments are really nice, and they are already working on more housing units in what used to be overflow trax parking right there on Sego Lily Dr.

Again, I'd like to see Sandy Civic Center develop into something more urban and I like their plans, I just don't see "The Prestige" actually making it to completion anytime in the near future. Can you say "Proscenium" or Mid-town Village?

I do have to give Sandy some credit though. They think big and they want to go from 0-60 on the Urban scale, in one single project, rather than build it a little more organically over a decade or two.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West