HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 2:08 PM

The description of "Immaculate Restoration" seems a bit far fetched and subjective. The building received a paint job and new modern replacement windows. It would have been great to see the original windows restored instead of being replaced with disposable units. The building looks great and renewed but as far a restoration is concerned, it falls short. It would be interesting to see how much of the public's money has gone into this building through the City's grant program. Does anyone know if this information publicly available?

I have noticed many jobs done by the same organization mostly consist of cosmetic work, masking over and claiming restoration.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 6:36 PM

SOLD: Hamilton’s historic Treble Hall building downtown

By Carmela Fragomeni
The historic Treble Hall building downtown has been sold.

Owner Jeff Feswick doesn't hand over the keys until February but said Monday it was time to pass on his 'baby', his pet project for the past five years.

"I expect better things than I could have done," he says.

Treble Hall, built in 1879, is one of the best examples of Renaissance Revival architecture in the city. It originally had "first class" store fronts on the first floor, offices on the second, and a 400 seat assembly hall on the third floor for concerts, public meetings and theatre.

Buyer Anthony Quattrociochhi calls it "one of the most beautiful buildings in Hamilton" and says its location on a substantial corner -- at John St. N. and King St. E. across from Gore Park -- has caught his eye for the last few years.

"We want to make this a very special corner of the city," he says.

He also hopes it will bring more investment into the core by "getting people to recognize the true value of heritage properties".

Feswick tried to make a go of it by restoring and reviving the exterior, gutting the interior while keeping things of historical value and refinishing the old wood flooring.

When he rescued the neglected building at 8 John St. N., the ceilings had fallen in, allowing birds and animals and their messes into the upper floors; the windows and front façade were boarded up and in bad shape.

He bought Treble Hall -- along with the adjoining and even older 1840s Pagoda building facing King, in November 2010 for $735,000 and estimated it would take more than $3 million to bring it back to life.

He ran a few commercial ventures after his restorations -- the Moulin Rouge vintage clothing store and coffee bar on the first floor later evolved into the French-themed Moulin Rouge Cocktail Lounge for the 30-plus age crowd with its own VIP lounge, dress code and dance floor. The rest of the place has been rented out for movie shoots, fashion shoots, and parties.

"We would have expanded (the cocktail lounge) to the second floor but it never happened," says Feswick. "We couldn't sustain it fully...We were just a little too progressive at the time. You get these ideas -- they'd be great in New York or Toronto."

Hamilton wasn't ready yet, he says, adding he isn't giving up on revitalization.

"I love this city. I did everything I could and even selling this building is a strategic move for Hamilton."

Feswick, who owns Historia Building Restoration, put in close to $1 million into restoration, not counting all the blood and sweat, and sold the property for close to his asking price, he says.

He had put the property – the two adjoining buildings are under one property title – up for sale a year ago for $3.2 million.

Quattrociocchi, the owner of Yoke Group Inc., is already developing office and commercial spaces in the Victorian era building between King and Main called the Royal Brick Works.

He wanted a long closing date on the Treble property in order to have site plan approvals in place from the city and feedback on two scenarios – apartments only, or shared office spaces with some residential lofts above.

Feswick is impressed with Quattrociocchi's vision and says it coincides with his own.

"I think I saved the building. I think I did a lot for…the street and the city, but I felt I couldn't develop it any further myself with my time. I've been able to hand the baton to him."

"Nothing stays a baby forever. It has to grow up…it has to go to the next stage," he says. "I really liked the building and being part of this renaissance… (selling it) is bittersweet, that's for sure."

cfragomeni@thespec.com

905-526-3392 | @CarmatTheSpec

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/58...ding-downtown/

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 9:10 PM

Last edited by Pigeon; Aug 18, 2022 at 11:10 PM.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 2:23 PM

Where have I heard something about Yoke Group. Oh yeah:

http://mantacontemporary.com/

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 5:40 PM

Yikes. I hope the spec digs a little deeper on this guy.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 11:30 PM

Fairly typical, quite frankly...

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
Fairly typical, quite frankly...
I dunno.

That's only one side of the story.

That was a little while ago. What's up with that property now, anyone know?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 4:10 PM

Need to know: A peek at what the Spec is working on

Quote:
Tenants at Treble Hall will be in business by the end of the month. The plans for Treble Hall include 15 art inspired rental units ranging in size, including 6-7 loft apartments with studies overlooking the common area. The ground floor, commercial unit, has already been leased by Ambitious Realty Advisor.
http://www.thespec.com/news-story/58...is-working-on/

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 5:37 PM

Yeah I peeked in last week and saw extensive renos on the ground floor.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 6:45 PM

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 8:46 PM

August 2015:

"He wanted a long closing date on the Treble property in order to have site plan approvals in place from the city and feedback on two scenarios – apartments only, or shared office spaces with some residential lofts above."

Wine bar is the new co-working space.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 8:14 PM
Hamilton Historian

it's sad that the facade of the exterior is already starting to fall apart, and that half of the bottom of this building is still vacant.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 2:53 PM

There's signs out front now about living in Treble Hall directing one to treblehall.ca

Not a lot of info though. I'm curious if the old Pagoda spot above the Pizza Pizza will also be residential.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 9:35 PM

Would be a well sought out conversion no doubt. Wonder how much space is up there?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 3:13 AM

Treble Hall Banners by Joe, on Flickr

Unit Rendering:

source

treblehall.ca

Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 3:56 AM

very beautiful, however, the street level facades are in desperate need of TLC

Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 5:43 AM

What are you guys thinking size and price-wise? This is exactly the kind of place I am looking for

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 4:50 PM
Hammer'd

I'm not sure how many units they're planning but if its more than 8, they will be pretty small and cramped.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
if its more than 8, they will be pretty small and cramped.
They have applied for a building permit to create 16 residential units, which includes both the Pagoda portion and the Treble Hall portion.

85 King St. E. 17-102489-00 Stores Alteration
Alterations to the interior of the commercial building to convert the 2nd, 3rd and 4th floors to 16 residential units. Review

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 2:58 AM

I also believe they are rentals not condo units so I'd imagine the monthly rent would be anywhere from 1500-2500 depending on the size.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues