HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Northeast

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 3:30 PM

City seeks state funds for projects

Plans for remaking former Boyd Printing Co. and old St. Joseph's School each draw requests for $5M

By CHRIS CHURCHILL, Business writer
First published in print: Saturday, May 2, 2009

ALBANY � City officials on Friday unveiled plans for a project that would remake the former Boyd Printing Co. property on Sheridan Avenue.

Clifton Park-based Cass Hill Development proposes redeveloping the site for commercial and residential uses, while constructing an adjacent seven-story building for apartments or condominiums.

The plans for Sheridan Place, as the complex would be called, were discussed Friday morning by Mike Yevoli, the city's commissioner of planning and development, during a public hearing on applications for money from the Restore NY program administered by Empire State Development Corp.

The city is asking the state for $5 million to assist the Sheridan project. It also is requesting $5 million for the redevelopment of the former St. Joseph's School on Swan Street into apartments, and studios for artists.

Yevoli said the city determined that both projects met the guidelines for the Restore NY program, which seeks to boost development that otherwise would not be commercially viable and meets city long-term goals.

"It's been an all-hands-on-deck process for us," Yevoli said of the grant applications, which are due on Monday.

Sheridan Place aids the city's goal of adding housing downtown, Yevoli said, while sparking development in a section of downtown that includes significant recent construction � including the Hampton Inn & Suites on Chapel Street, near North Pearl Street � but also has many dilapidated industrial and apartment buildings.

The former Boyd building is vacant. The company sought Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in 2005, and put the building up for sale then. Several developers expressed interest in the site, but nothing materialized.

Cass Hill bought it last year. Marc Paquin, principal of the company, could not be reached for comment Friday.

The plan, as described by Yevoli, would demolish several properties along Sheridan, but keep the four-story brick building that was the heart of Boyd's operations. He said Cass Hill is still determining the precise mix of uses at the site, including exactly what the commercial part of the project would entail.

Cass Hill is familiar with the neighborhood: The company in 2007 turned 30,000 square feet of industrial space at 25 Monroe St. into office space for Zone 5, an advertising and public relations firm.

The school plan is tied to the city's broad Arbor Hill Reclamation Project, which has targeted properties across the neighborhood for renovation or redevelopment. The Restore NY money would also be used for the renovation of scattered buildings along Henry Johnson Boulevard and Clinton Avenue, Yevoli said.

The city and the Albany Housing Authority would be the developers for the Arbor Hill projects. The Housing Authority last year invested $6 million on North Swan, creating 23 apartments and seven storefronts there.

Link

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 10:06 PM
Old Fart Forumer

A bit of good news for the Albany area (from the Ithaca Journal):

GE to build new battery plant in upstate
The Associated Press • May 12, 2009

NISKAYUNA — General Electric Co. will manufacture advanced batteries for locomotives and heavy equipment at a new plant in upstate New York.

GE Chief Executive Jeffrey Immelt and New York Gov. David Paterson say the factory will be built in the Albany area and will create 350 new manufacturing jobs. The sodium batteries will be used in GE’s hybrid locomotive and will be suitable for heavy service vehicles and backup storage.

GE says Tuesday the plant will anchor its new battery business. The move complements its recent $30 million investment in lithium-ion battery manufacturer A123Systems of Fairfield, Conn.

GE did not immediately provide financial details beyond announcing an initial investment of $100 million. The company is applying for federal stimulus dollars.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 5:31 AM
Dryer lint inspector

are they knocking the wellingtwon row buildings down comepletely or are they salvaging the facades? when i walked by it a month ago, it looked like they were being careful what they were demolishing.

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 4:45 AM
Missing the Gorges

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMancuso View Post
are they knocking the wellingtwon row buildings down comepletely or are they salvaging the facades? when i walked by it a month ago, it looked like they were being careful what they were demolishing.
As I recall, previous news articles said they would be saving the facades of Wellington Row.

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 2:03 PM

I believe that's correct. Not sure if it's the smartest decision, but that's what we are going to see.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 3:16 PM

High-end condo project on hold

By CHRIS CHURCHILL, Business writer
First published in print: Tuesday, June 23, 2009

COLONIE -- Two elevator shafts and a concrete foundation.

That's the sum construction total at the Loudon House condominium project, where work began in the fall but stopped abruptly in January. Suffice to say, neighbors in Loudonville were hoping for more from the highly touted project at Route 378 and Schuyler Road.

"There's a great deal of frustration that it hasn't been done yet," said Richard Lesnick, a resident of the Loudonwood East development, which abuts the site. "And it looks like it's going to sit there for awhile."

Loudon House is planned as a $12 million, 22-unit complex targeted at retirees willing to spend between $500,000 and $1 million. Problem is, that type of buyer has largely disappeared during the economic meltdown.

"We would have been very foolish, in this market, to continue construction," said David Hayes, owner of Hayes Development LLC, which is partnering on the project with BCI Construction Inc. "It turned out to be a very wise decision. I don't think we would have sold them."

Hayes stressed that he has not given up on the project, and that he remains enthusiastic about the site, which is near Albany Rural Cemetery and about a mile from Siena College. But he couldn't say when construction will resume.

"We're just focusing on the economy and the housing market," he said. "We're going to monitor that, and when we feel conditions are right, begin construction."

The site is the former home of the Eamonn's Loudon House, a bar destroyed by fire in 2005. The burned-out building sat forlornly for nearly two years before demolition in 2007. "It has been a problem site for quite some time," said Mary Brizzell, a former Colonie town supervisor now active in the Greater Loudonville Association, an advocacy group.

Brizzell and Lesnick both stressed that they're supporters of the three-story project. Designs for the gated development show a white clapboard structure said to be modeled after George Washington's Mount Vernon. "It is delayed," Brizzell said. "But given what's gone on in the economy, that's not a surprise."

Link

Pictures I took back on February 6:

Old Posted Aug 29, 2009, 6:06 PM

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

Last edited by young twig; Dec 15, 2014 at 11:42 PM.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 2:09 AM

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

Last edited by young twig; Dec 15, 2014 at 11:42 PM.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 12:00 AM

Wellington Row Moving Along

The historic Hotel Wellington in downtown Albany should be history by the end of this month.

During the next few weeks, workers using a high-reach excavator stretching more than 150 feet high will claw away at the block-long, narrow brick building between State and Hudson streets, tearing it down in chunks.

The demolition will remove a hotel that has stood downtown since the early 1900s but in more recent years sat empty, a symbol of blight and decay.

It’s one of five buildings that make up Wellington Row on State Street, an area just steps from the state Capitol, whose deterioration has been a source of embarrassment and frustration for city officials for two decades.

The demolition marks the end of a $6 million-plus, yearlong effort by [CompanyWatch allows you to receive email alerts with stories related to your companies of interest. <p>You can watch up to ten companies at a time.</p>] Columbia Development Cos. in Albany to selectively remove portions of Wellington Row and prepare the site for a 405,000-square-foot office, retail, residential and parking complex that blends old with new.

The total estimated project cost, including the demolition, is $65 million.

Joe Nicolla, president of Columbia Development, is negotiating with several lenders to jointly finance construction, which would begin in early 2010 and take two years to finish.

Plans call for a new, 14-story tower anchoring the development, though the size could change.

Nicolla is trying to convince local bankers there’s demand for new Class A office space near the Capitol, even if there’s now excess supply downtown and rent growth is flat.

“Believe it or not, there’s an awful lot of interest from people inside and outside this community to be in this location,” he said.

He predicted some tenants would move from existing offices downtown, but the majority won’t already have a presence in the central business district. He said it’s unlikely the state will be a tenant, given the clampdown on spending.

Even with a big portfolio of successful projects, including office buildings, hospital expansions and hotels, the credit crunch is forcing Columbia to be more creative with its underwriting.

“It’s not like three or four years ago where one bank would say, ‘I’ll do it myself,’ ” Nicolla said. “Now we have to reach out to four or five banks and make sure we have a project that everybody is satisfied with.”

Nicolla himself had to reach consensus about the project after historic preservationists objected to the original designs.

After buying the properties for $925,000 in November 2006, Columbia Development announced plans to save the facades of three of the five buildings, including the former hotel, and tie them into the new office tower.

The [CompanyWatch allows you to receive email alerts with stories related to your companies of interest. <p>You can watch up to ten companies at a time.</p>] Historic Albany Foundation pressed for all of Wellington Row to be preserved, since they are all located in a local historic district and listed on the [CompanyWatch allows you to receive email alerts with stories related to your companies of interest. <p>You can watch up to ten companies at a time.</p>] National Register of Historic Places.

Columbia Development insisted that wasn’t feasible, in part because of the low ceiling heights in the former hotel and the varying floor levels of the adjoining buildings. The two sides compromised, and the city [CompanyWatch allows you to receive email alerts with stories related to your companies of interest. <p>You can watch up to ten companies at a time.</p>] Historic Resources Commission approved the concept.

Susan Holland, executive director of Historic Albany Foundation, has been tracking the work and taking pictures as the structures have been slowly dismantled and removed.

“It looks to me they’re doing exactly as they intended to do and what we agreed on,” Holland said.

Portions of two buildings on both sides of the hotel are being saved and incorporated into the new development.

The facades of 132 and 134 State St. to the east of the Wellington, and the Elks Lodge and Berkshire Hotel to the west, have been preserved. Behind the facades, all but the first 50 feet of each of those buildings has been torn down.

Columbia Development will demolish all of the former hotel except for the decorative limestone facade, which will be taken apart, catalogued and stored. The facade will be reassembled and attached to the front of the new office building.

The selective demolition, handled by Jackson Demolition of Niskayuna, started last year. It has taken six to eight months longer than anticipated and has been costlier than estimated (the removal of asbestos and other hazardous materials is being subsidized by a $2.5 million state grant).

Three factors drove the delay, said Michael Arcangel, project executive for Columbia Development: The amount of asbestos between the walls and floors was substantially more than expected; the structural makeup of each building was radically different because of the number of additions; and excessive rain this summer.

“It was a constant, day-to-day battle,” Arcangel said. “Every day we discovered something.”

mdemasi@bizjournals.com | 518-640-6814

http://www.bizjournals.com/albany/st...2035121&page=1

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 4:07 PM

What does this new tower that is replacing the Wellington Hotel look like?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2009, 9:06 AM

Wellington Row etc.

I think that this is the most current rendering out there, possibly the only one. My thoughts on it...well...I guess it could be worse...

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 1:09 AM

Park South Redevelopment

I've been watching the progress of the various projects along New Scotland Ave, but I haven't heard what is being built in the small lot at the corner of NS and Morris. Does anyone have an idea?

Old Posted Dec 28, 2009, 2:02 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwbmet View Post

I think that this is the most current rendering out there, possibly the only one. My thoughts on it...well...I guess it could be worse...
Looks OK to me (if a bit out of scale). Maybe a step in on the sides of the top five floors would have been more pleasing visually.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Jan 4, 2010, 1:58 PM

I'm pretty sure that is the only rendering, but it was done by the Albany Historic Foundation as far as I know. They presented it to Columbia Development to show that there was an alternative to taking down the existing buildings on Wellington Row.

The big issue now is tenants. Columbia is waiting for tenants to commit to moving into the office space before the tower is built.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Northeast