HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 4:06 PM

There are some full block sites downtown, but they may all be too expensive. I wonder if the Lloyd District might be considered? There are plenty of suitable sites, and the public transport is excellent. There are fewer nearby amenities than there are in downtown, but that may change in the coming years.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 5:26 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
There are some full block sites downtown, but they may all be too expensive. I wonder if the Lloyd District might be considered? There are plenty of suitable sites, and the public transport is excellent. There are fewer nearby amenities than there are in downtown, but that may change in the coming years.
That is what I was thinking, they sounded like they were wanting to expand their look to sites on the east side of the river rather than downtown.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 5:59 PM

What about SW Clay and 1st? The entrance to the Koin Center garage is located along Clay and the rest of it is a parking lot. I can't see them moving the courthouse too far away from the rest of the government buildings around Lownsdale Square, Chapman Square and Terry Schrunk Plaza.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 6:46 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

I assume they're going to have to come up with a creative solution here. I think it's pretty much a given - an unaccepted given (lol) - that the Portland Building is going to come down at some point, likely sooner than later due to the escalating costs of fixing it. That seems like an opportunity. Level it to build a new courthouse, and then replace the current courthouse with a new office tower. How to finance any of that is another matter, of course... but then again, who in their right mind would want to spend $100,000,000+ to fix the Portland Building? It's coming down at some point. It's just a matter of when, how, and what opportunities can be made of that mess.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Anyone know the potential for the parking lots on Multnomah between Grand and 8th to be developed?
Story on Bikeportland about Pioneer Square and the potential of parking reform. Dead space surface parking lots like this need heavy incentive to develop.

There are so many spots in inner SE (example Ankeny and 7th) with so much potential.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
What about SW Clay and 1st? The entrance to the Koin Center garage is located along Clay and the rest of it is a parking lot. I can't see them moving the courthouse too far away from the rest of the government buildings around Lownsdale Square, Chapman Square and Terry Schrunk Plaza.
I was thinking the KOIN Lot would be a smart option as well. What about the block that houses the Lotus Cafe and the decrepit Auditorium Building? While those buildings are historic in nature, it would be a killer location for a new government building. Maybe run with Novic's idea and add other city and county functions as well... Go 45 stories +

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 10:39 PM

Why don't they just put it where they were going to. Move the westside Hawthorne Bridge off ramp and open up that full block, already owned by the county. They received $10M years ago to move the ramp, and never did.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scleeb View Post
Maybe run with Novic's idea and add other city and county functions as well... Go 45 stories +
I hope they consider this option. If the Portland Building also needs significant work and it warrants demolition too they could build one large building with City of Portland offices and courthouse space. I'm sure architects could easily find a design solution to allow the two functions to coexist in one structure.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 12:53 AM
Here we stAy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
Why don't they just put it where they were going to. Move the westside Hawthorne Bridge off ramp and open up that full block, already owned by the county. They received $10M years ago to move the ramp, and never did.
The block with the ramp and a smaller building? NE corner of 1st and Jefferson? That would be a great spot and block the view of the ugly parking garage from the waterfront a bit more.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 2:15 AM

^Nah, the block with the giant tree. Surrounded by Naito, Main, 1st and Madison. Although I was just thinking it would be nice to see something go up on the empty 3/4ths of open land/abandoned Hawthorne ramp on the block you mentioned.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 4:56 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by scleeb View Post
I was thinking the KOIN Lot would be a smart option as well. What about the block that houses the Lotus Cafe and the decrepit Auditorium Building? While those buildings are historic in nature, it would be a killer location for a new government building. Maybe run with Novic's idea and add other city and county functions as well... Go 45 stories +
I would hate to see that happen, there is too many beautiful old buildings on that block worth saving.

I could see the KOIN lot being a possibility through some sort of trade deal. I could also see the current Portland Building being razed and rebuilt, something that would fit both the courthouse and the Portland departments in it.

As for the current courthouse building, I hope the exterior of the building is saved and a tower is built in the core of it.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 5:06 AM

I think the consolidation of government offices from outside downtown into one building is a great idea.

Iirc the Koin lot has a limit of 200' or so. In other words, as long as the building doesn't disrupt the views from the Koin Tower condos.

The Portland building spot would be great to add a 45+floor tower. I agree that it's only a matter of time before it's torn down. No way do you pay the $100m to repair it.

The lot next to the PAC WEST tower is another location I'd look at.

James Beard Tower perhaps?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 5:17 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioux612 View Post
I think the consolidation of government offices from outside downtown into one building is a great idea.

Iirc the Koin lot has a limit of 200' or so. In other words, as long as the building doesn't disrupt the views from the Koin Tower condos.

The Portland building spot would be great to add a 45+floor tower. I agree that it's only a matter of time before it's torn down. No way do you pay the $100m to repair it.

The lot next to the PAC WEST tower is another location I'd look at.

James Beard Tower perhaps?
If you are referring to the Unitus Building, I doubt that one would ever get torn down. Actually I personally love that building.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 5:20 AM

It's probably PSU land, but the lot at SW 5th and Market would be a great location. I'm surprised it's just a parking lot (albeit a nice one).

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
If you are referring to the Unitus Building, I doubt that one would ever get torn down. Actually I personally love that building.

I like it too. They did the plaza very nicely.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 6:46 AM

The row of one floor buildings at 4th and Taylor would be a great spot. You'd lose the 7/11 and the Thai place, but what an underutilized block that is currently!

Last edited by philopdx; Jul 19, 2014 at 5:08 PM.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 7:13 AM

The one story 24 Hour Fitness with the parking on the roof is pretty bad too.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 2:00 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by philopdx View Post
The row of one floor building at 4th and Taylor would be a great spot. You'd lose the 7/11 and the Thai place, but what an underutilized block that is currently!
The site will probably have to be at least a full city block seeing they said the Hawthorne ramp site was too small and that was almost a full city block.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 8:19 PM
Karma Police

I think the 4-block low-rise Oregon Square (immediately south of the 4-block Hassalo on Eighth project, in front of the domed State of Oregon Bldg) is a prime spot for redevelopment and easy access for all modes of transportation, including MAX, streetcar, autos and bikes. I could very easily see them building a new county courthouse in that location.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 7:19 AM

This lot (Koin) was brought up and for reference sake here is the block at the max height allowed:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland