HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

100 East 53rd Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
As I recall, although the massing is a plain box, Foster put a lot of detail into the design of the facade, so that it will be faceted, much like the Gem Tower.
Agreed, these renders are quite old and may not do the actual facade treatment justice. Hopefully re-freshed renderings will reveal more detail.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 9:28 PM

From EastMillinocket on WNY, and the tower has been out for bid for a few months.

"A backhoe has been on the site since the beginning of the week. It seems like some new construction permits were issued on 25 Jan."

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 9:33 PM

And there are new permits on file from last week. This building is going up.

Based on the permits, it appears to be the exact same building as originally planned.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 2:34 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
And there are new permits on file from last week. This building is going up.

Based on the permits, it appears to be the exact same building as originally planned.
A box, albeit a nice one.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 12:01 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.krausearchitects.com/cms/...ndreas-krause/

Quote:
2006 610 Lexington Ave, New York, USA (Foster + Partners)

This elegant and slender 61-storey high-rise tower houses luxurious service apartments in addition to a five star hotel for the Shangri-la group. The project includes a total area of 257,000 square feet. The tower takes its very slender (15x45m) foot print to maximise views across Midtown and Manhattan.

The skyscraper gods are pleased.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 4:47 PM

Foster has really fallen since the days of gherkin and hearst.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
Foster has really fallen since the days of gherkin and hearst.
Well, what kind of design would you create on such a plot, then a slim, boxy tower?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 5:05 PM

It's not often that you see in a skyline what looks at least to me like a whitewashed, squared-off obelisk. Though shorter, it will for its location create a *nice* contrast to Trump; and IMO what *really* will make this baby shine is the facade treatment.

From the varying new renders I'm seeing here, though, I can't pass judgment yet. The last render above--if someone can repost in as high-res as possible--is as close as possible to what I would rate the project by.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 6:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickser View Post
Well, what kind of design would you create on such a plot, then a slim, boxy tower?
I agree. The developer and zoning ultimately had the most control over the basic deisign. You can't blame foster for lack of talent or imagination here. Give him more freedom and the design would be obviously far more exciting. The developer is probably going to maximize the space, so given new Yorks street grid and expensive land prices, a box was the likely outcome.

What I don't like is the blandness of the box, but I'm not surprised given the location.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 7:45 PM

He could have created one of these "cutting edge" facades. But why should NY fall this trend? This designs look good now, but dated very soon. I rather have a subtle and well executed box, over a trendy design, which will look tacky in a couple of years.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 9:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickser View Post
He could have created one of these "cutting edge" facades. But why should NY fall this trend? This designs look good now, but dated very soon. I rather have a subtle and well executed box, over a trendy design, which will look tacky in a couple of years.
I don't understand this attitude. Why should the box be the standard and anything else is considered to be tacky and soon to age? The box IMO is hardly a good standard, it is inhuman and dull.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
I don't understand this attitude. Why should the box be the standard and anything else is considered to be tacky and soon to age? The box IMO is hardly a good standard, it is inhuman and dull.
It provides maximum profits for developers, views/space for the tenants for that specific plot. In my opinion if anything should change it would be some sort of element at the top.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 10:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
It provides maximum profits for developers, views/space for the tenants for that specific plot. In my opinion if anything should change it would be some sort of element at the top.
Disregarding the profit issue, why do people always think that a showy flashy design is tacky or will soon age, while a box is timeless? This does not have to be, it is all a matter of perception and habit.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 12:15 AM

Keep in mind this tower shares a block with the grandfather of boxy modernist towers, the Seagram Building. I don't think a curvy, flashy tower would be appropriate. I think this building is pretty nice, the facade looks promising.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 3:21 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Filipe- View Post
here we go again always bitching about designs that arent like chinese and dubai skyscrapers with wackyass designs.. always whining arent you
No, I am not whining, what BS. I also never mentioned China and Dubai in my post on this subject. I will state here that I have my own opinions on design like everyone else here, if you don't like it, don't read my posts. This obnoxious and immature reply and attack, just like your other smart ass one, just shows you up to be a fool. I'd stop digging the hole you are in deeper if I were you. It is quite obvious that you are intolerant of other points of view and are capable only of responding with immature insulting posts. A forum is a place for differences of opinions especially on subjective issues like art and design. If you can't deal with that I suggest going elsewhere.

Last edited by aquablue; Mar 8, 2013 at 4:07 AM.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 8:33 PM

Some good news here. Back from development purgatory?

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2013/0...ed_610_lex.php

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 8:41 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackster99 View Post
Some good news here. Back from development purgatory?

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2013/0...ed_610_lex.php
Good find! It appears that SLCE has some new renderings...

Quote:
The sad, sad vacant lot at 610 Lexington Avenue was once destined to hold a Norman Foster-designed tower with New York's first Shangri-La hotel and condos, but developer Aby Rosen's plan was wholly scrapped after a foreclosure scare in 2011. But now, six years after that pipe dream began, it looks like Midtown is gonna get a tower after all. The firm filling Foster's shoes is SLCE Architects, whose past award-winning projects have included the likes of the Bloomberg building (just uptown at 731 Lexington) and the Top of the Rock observation deck at Rockefeller Center. Renderings of the glassy tower from SLCE's website are above, plus new filings with the Department of Buildings give a hint as to what's going to be in the 65-story structure planned for the southwest corner of 53rd Street.
[...]
http://www.slcearch.com/hospitality-...ngton-avenue/#

According to one rendering (maybe somone can pull the off), the tower will have some sort of illuminated crown.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 9:04 PM

It'll give Citi an elegant partner in that immediate area and set up a nice three-fold harmonization with Bloomberg and Trump.

The unpretentious lighting is on top lends a dignified presence as well.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 10:41 PM
World Machine

Good news - love that some of these left for dead proposals are making a comeback.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 11:11 PM
Come As You Are

An excellent revival of international Modernism.
"Less is More"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive