HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 5:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Someone reported on the DTLA Development Facebook page that the operator of the parking garage on the Grand Ave. lot will be closing Sept. 30th. So we're likely looking at an October start for demolition. It's a three-story steel and concrete structure, so likely won't take more than a few months to take down.
Awesome

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
The Cambria always seemed like a half-baked proposal with shaky financial footing.

I'm curious as to why people keep saying that the tinker toy garage was supposed to start coming down in August. Related has been giving the same vague "Fall 2018" start date for a while now, and has never gotten more specific than that.
The Cambria really was so weird and random when it pop'd up out of no where. I know all developments are "Good" developments when they are activating an area but the Cambria has always bugged me from day one. Not even the height, Its just so out of place with what's being built around it.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2018, 8:43 AM

How's it going guys... Is there someone on here who knows how to photoshop? Would love to see a skyline with Olympia, Figueroa Centre, the Tri towers near the USC Building, Angels Landing and LA Grand Hotel Tower in it.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2018, 3:22 PM

So apparently MyFig is done? LOL. Is it sad that I was down there and didn't immediately notice a difference ? The only way to fix Fig and Flower while we're at it is to turn them both into full Avenues/Boulevards, wider sidewalks, bike lanes and lots of trees/vegetation. My fig may have been a step forward but with its price tag, I expected a whole lot more.

Edit.

I saw the "Happytime Murders" last night at the movies, a weird but sometimes funny movie based in LA. One thing that I've noticed with recent movies, something I feel is kinda hurting LAs image, is that they aren't really showing the 'New" stuff....They aren't showing the progress the city has made, they are focused on LA of the 90s, even if that means completely editing out whole sections of downtown specifically. I've noticed this with other movies where the avoid the hipster havens popping up in gentrified areas, they avoid the new construction downtown and etc for the grungier part of the city. In another movie coming out called "Peppermint", it seems to also be focused on the grunge/gang filled image of LA of the 90s rather than the LA of now. I know its just a movie and isn't a big deal but at the same time, it hurts our image imo.

Last edited by caligrad; Sep 1, 2018 at 5:27 PM.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2018, 8:08 PM

I've been sitting on some photos...

1133 S. Hope in the foreground with Oceanwide in the back

Onni Bros and Circa sisters

Broadway has a lot of smaller buildings that are being fixed up... like this recently revealed one. It used to look like garbage

Old Posted Sep 1, 2018, 8:20 PM

too lazy to get rid of the graffiti on the side or what? lol

Old Posted Sep 1, 2018, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
I've been sitting on some photos...

Broadway has a lot of smaller buildings that are being fixed up... like this recently revealed one. It used to look like garbage
I've been wondering what this was going to be going here.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 2:08 AM

Park Fifth today -I am enjoying the look of this building from Pershing Square. Now only if we can get the square redevelopment started...

Last edited by Prahaboheme; Sep 2, 2018 at 2:21 AM.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 2:14 AM

8th & Spring - fraturnal twins nearly the finish line.
It’s been said before but this is a great modern look for DTLA while nodding to the historic core.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 2:45 AM

Perla on the rise at Broadway & 4th:

Old Posted Sep 3, 2018, 3:16 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
So apparently MyFig is done? LOL. Is it sad that I was down there and didn't immediately notice a difference ? The only way to fix Fig and Flower while we're at it is to turn them both into full Avenues/Boulevards, wider sidewalks, bike lanes and lots of trees/vegetation. My fig may have been a step forward but with its price tag, I expected a whole lot more.

Edit.

I saw the "Happytime Murders" last night at the movies, a weird but sometimes funny movie based in LA. One thing that I've noticed with recent movies, something I feel is kinda hurting LAs image, is that they aren't really showing the 'New" stuff....They aren't showing the progress the city has made, they are focused on LA of the 90s, even if that means completely editing out whole sections of downtown specifically. I've noticed this with other movies where the avoid the hipster havens popping up in gentrified areas, they avoid the new construction downtown and etc for the grungier part of the city. In another movie coming out called "Peppermint", it seems to also be focused on the grunge/gang filled image of LA of the 90s rather than the LA of now. I know its just a movie and isn't a big deal but at the same time, it hurts our image imo.
Movies and tv shows are never good ways to gage development of any city. Look at the People vs OJ Simpson (which was great). Takes place in 1994 but clearly shows the Wilshire Grand an the Disney Hall multiple times during establishing shots.

The only people who would notice such things are skyscraper nerds like us. To anyone else, they won't pay any attention.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2018, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prahaboheme View Post
Which building is being worked on in the foreground? Is that the Planet Fitness building?

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Sep 3, 2018, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
Which building is being worked on in the foreground? Is that the Planet Fitness building?
Perla on Broadway

Old Posted Sep 3, 2018, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
Perla on Broadway
I'm curious about the building with scaffolding in the foreground to the left.

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 3:39 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Graffiti posts and general personal insults deleted (nearly two pages worth).

The next person to continue the conversation will be suspended for a minimum of one week.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
Movies and tv shows are never good ways to gage development of any city. Look at the People vs OJ Simpson (which was great). Takes place in 1994 but clearly shows the Wilshire Grand an the Disney Hall multiple times during establishing shots.

The only people who would notice such things are skyscraper nerds like us. To anyone else, they won't pay any attention.
True. But I'm more so focused on the cities image as a whole. The media loves depicting LA as some wasteland that hasn't changed much since the 80s/90s. And it gets kind of frustrating when middle America still views it as such since that's all they are accustomed to.

A manager from one of my hospitals sister facilities in Oklahoma came out for training and I swear she was scared stiff the entire time she was here. Scared of getting robbed or attacked and when she found out how close LAX was to Inglewood, she insisted that someone picked her up because she's "Heard things" . She also made us cancel her reservations for her hotel from in Long Beach (which I personally got offended and felt the need to tell her) to a hotel on the West Side "Closer to the airport". So I just chalked up to one persons paranoia. But when you watch what's being put out there on Movies and TV, hell I should be scared too.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 3:16 PM

No offense, but anyone who views movies/tv as real life are idiots. Movies and TV are dramatized and use violence for entertainment purposes. NYC is also a crime hell hole in many movies, even recent ones. But, they're movies.

So this woman was, afraid of Snoop Dogg lyrics from 15 years ago? This is why I have no desire to go to a place like Oklahoma.

And not every movie or TV show makes LA look bad. That's false. By your logic, why WOULD ANYONE want to come here if Hollywood made LA look like Detroit/Gary Indiana for the last few decades? Every year, LA breaks it's old tourism numbers. Hotels are going up everywhere at a crazy pace. The internet has made LA the global center for Social Media personalities, and they put out images of LA everyday in some form or another. LA is the number one destination by far for atheltes to live/spend time in their offseasons, and they market LA very well on Instragam, Twitter, etc to millions of people. Lebron coming to LA is a bigger deal than people realize too.

From what I've seen on social media and what not, I don't see the same "scary gang image" LA has like it did 15-25 years ago. Chicago, Detrioit and many southern cities seem to be more tied to drugs and violence than LA is, and that's been true for many, many years now. The negatives I see come up for LA these days are traffic, cost of living and homeless situation. Maybe city grime/filth. I will even hear more about fires than crime/gang stuff.

Last edited by LA21st; Sep 5, 2018 at 4:06 PM.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by la21st View Post
not every movie or tv show makes la look bad.
While not LA, the very first time I was exposed to California was when I was about 11 years old and watched the television show 'THE OC'. Up until that point, I never thought about California or even knew anything about it. I never let go of my dream to one day live the life of those on the show. While I do not live in a mansion or have tons of money, I do live in a house we just bought and have access to the beautiful scenery and other things that are really unavailable anywhere else in the US. I love Los Angeles, and I have honestly not seen the negativity which you guys speak about. Everyone seems to be taken with LA and it's lifestyle.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 4:29 PM

I don't think LA is having a bad image issue at all. Anyone who does is living in the past or just wants to believe that, for whatever reason.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 9:28 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunsberger View Post
While not LA, the very first time I was exposed to California was when I was about 11 years old and watched the television show 'THE OC'. Up until that point, I never thought about California or even knew anything about it. I never let go of my dream to one day live the life of those on the show. While I do not live in a mansion or have tons of money, I do live in a house we just bought and have access to the beautiful scenery and other things that are really unavailable anywhere else in the US. I love Los Angeles, and I have honestly not seen the negativity which you guys speak about. Everyone seems to be taken with LA and it's lifestyle.
I spent the last 5 years living in Chicago and every so often you'll see those LA tourism ads on tv and my Chicago friends ask me if LA is like how it is in the movies. I say to them that a lot of stereotypes are true but a majority of them are false. I said to them that a lot of people from the West Coast are spoiled and sensitive as hell and have a lax, don't care attitude. Which is true. But I also said that where would you rather be in the middle of January? Chicago or LA?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations