HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Mar 5, 2007, 7:44 PM

Too true....

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Mar 6, 2007, 6:27 AM

Check out this Backbridge rendering from Sam Adam's blog. The parking area from this perspective looks larger than I was expecting, but I still like the design overall.

Original post, complete with the usual comment insanity, here:
http://commissionersam.com/node/1235

Old Posted Mar 6, 2007, 7:28 AM

There is also a 24-unit condo project proposed for 8310 N Interstate, just a block or two down from the good ol' Dancin Bare in the Kenton neighborhood. Glad to see some development like this hitting the light rail line, particularly in Kenton, which has a great little main street area. Design looks decent

http://www.portlandonline.com/shared....cfm?id=149094

Old Posted Mar 6, 2007, 4:05 PM
BANNED

Miller Hull does some really nice work.

http://www.millerhull.com/html/index.htm

I am surprised to see them on such a small Portland project. This is one to watch!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2007, 5:32 PM

School site's suitor gets nod
Retail space and condominiums proposed for long-vacant Washington Monroe High building in Southeast
By Jennifer Anderson
The Portland Tribune, Mar 6, 2007

After sitting vacant for several years, the hulking behemoth of red brick in the Buckman neighborhood known as the former Washington Monroe High School is finally on track for redevelopment.

The Portland school board last week approved the Portland Schools Real Estate Trust’s selection of Beam Development LLC to take on the project. The district still is negotiating with Beam on the terms of the sale, which could take four months.

Beam has proposed to pay the district a total of $9.25 million for the 2.6 acres of land at the northeast and southeast corners of the site, which border Southeast 14th Avenue and Stark Street.

Under the reins of Brad Malsin — known for his creative reuse work in the central east side — Beam proposes to turn the existing building into a five-story mixed-use building with commercial space on the ground floor and four floors (72 units) of one-, two- and three-bedroom condominiums.

The entire building shell would be preserved and restored, and the interior architectural elements would be maintained, restored or reused in the project. In addition, Beam would put two rows of town houses at the west end of the property, all with sustainable building and design practices.

Malsin says that if all goes well with the negotiations, crews could break ground in four to six months and construction likely will take 12 to 18 months. Beam proposes to work with MCA Architects and Walsh Construction, and solicit design ideas from community members along the way.

Susan Lindsay, chairwoman of the Buckman Neighborhood Association, said she’s thrilled to see that Beam has stepped up with a plan to creatively restore the old high school.

But she said she and other neighbors are concerned that the space will not be able to accommodate the traffic that the proposed retail space would draw, especially since the city has committed to building a community center on the west end of the property.

“We never wanted a lot of retail in the space,” she said. “We primarily wanted it to be stable, owner-occupied units for families. We’ve got to have parking on-site. There’s going to be some very interesting negotiations taking place around that.”

Malsin said he doesn’t anticipate that the retail space would produce any problem; if anything, it should cut down on vehicle traffic and attract more foot traffic to the building.

“We feel that the retail space is absolutely necessary to activate the site,” he said. “The goal is to encourage people to use public transportation and walk, ride bikes. The idea behind the whole development is to activate the streets, become engaged and connected to the neighborhood, make the streets safer.”

Malsin said he’s begun talking with representatives of the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office about listing the site, and they were enthusiastic.

“I love historic buildings,” he said. “I see this as a great opportunity to preserve a building that is still well within its utilitarian life span. It’s exciting to take part of history and make it into something people can become a part of.”

The high school closed in 1981, after which district administrators and nonprofit organizations used part of the building for office space. The building was completely vacated in 2004, after the city bought the west side of the property with the intent to build a community center.

The school was temporarily reopened in 2005 to serve victims of Hurricane Katrina, but other than that it has sat empty, with its windows boarded up and some vandalism on the exterior.

The timeline for the community center still is unknown; a spokeswoman for Portland Parks & Recreation said the bureau is looking for money in the city budget to do a feasibility study on the project.

For now, Lindsay is glad to see at least one piece of the property getting some TLC. “The inner east-side neighborhoods have been neglected for a long time,” she said, “and they’re an essential part of the health and welfare of the city.”

jenniferanderson@portlandtribune.com
http://www.portlandtribune.com/news/...13617017071800

Old Posted Mar 6, 2007, 6:59 PM
Criss Crosser of Country

I just read about this last night in the Southeast Examimer and, aside from some unfounded traffic concerns, the neighborhood generally seems excited abou this project. As am I. I can't wait to see renderings!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2007, 8:48 PM

^ Definitely should be a good project for SE. If they can maintain some of the original school character inside the building, it could be very cool (ala McMenamin's Kennedy School).

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 1:43 AM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
hmmm, could have been worded better, but I agree, this is the end of the 70's built gay district in Portland. Had Club Portland's owners cleaned up the block years earlier, this could have been a different outcome...
They're being funneled, thankfully, into old town/chinatown-- that's a place that will duck gentrification for a while, at LEAST until the transit mall is fixed

Oh, and I mean the clubs around there, not club portland.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 3:58 PM

^I think the height limits will preserve the smaller feel of OTCT district. Portland is lacking a night life district, and since there is a mix of gay and straight clubs sprouting up almost weekly in the OTCT district, I see it only growing stronger as the evening destination of choice for downtown goers.

You know if the Silverado is closing or relocating? That leaves only two gay bars on Stark, twas six or seven when I moved back here 5 years ago.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 4:29 PM

Former retirement community to become artist work/live space
Daily Journal of Commerce
by Kennedy Smith
03/07/2007

A former retirement community in Northeast Portland will soon be home to work/live spaces for artists now that Beam Development has purchased Baptist Manor for $2.2 million.

“We’re converting it into an art incubator community,” said Brad Malsin, CEO of Beam Development. “Artists can live and work in the small but functional spaces.”

Rental rates for the 250- to 300-square-foot apartments, Malsin said, would start at $200 to $300 per month. About 50 of the projected 160 units, he said, would be for sale starting around $95,000. Larger, for-lease units would be around 400 square feet, he said.

Malsin is working with the office of Portland Commissioner Sam Adams, who announced a desire to turn the property into artist space in January. Other stakeholders include Portland Affordable Housing Preservation Trust, the Regional Arts and Culture Council, and Works Partnership Architecture.

Adams has been “championing the idea for finding space for artists since he was first elected,” said Jesse Beason, a senior policy director in the commissioner’s office. “When we discovered that this was a possibility, Sam agreed to help facilitate for the developers the need for this kind of housing.”

Adams’ office last year conducted a survey among artists and discovered “there was huge demand,” Beason said. “Folks were interested in being among other artists, co-locating, and living in raw spaces.” The survey, Beason said, also showed artists preferred rehabilitated buildings over newly constructed spaces.

“Obviously, not all types of artists will fit into the units,” Malsin said. “Some units will be appropriate for industrial-type endeavors, but mostly the goal is to have nontoxic, nonintrusive kinds of artists.”

The community, Malsin said, would also provide business counseling for residents.

“There are plenty of great artists, but they can’t always translate that into supporting themselves in a sustainable manner,” he said. “This would allow the physical presence of business training to learn how to be independent business people.”

Located at 900 N.E. 81st Ave., the 150-unit retirement home was built in 1931.

http://www.djc-or.com/viewStory.cfm?...29022&userID=1

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 8:54 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanpdx View Post
Miller Hull does some really nice work.

http://www.millerhull.com/html/index.htm

I am surprised to see them on such a small Portland project. This is one to watch!
That Tillamook Forestry Center is really cool - I would love to go visit it:

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 9:00 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
^I think the height limits will preserve the smaller feel of OTCT district. Portland is lacking a night life district, and since there is a mix of gay and straight clubs sprouting up almost weekly in the OTCT district, I see it only growing stronger as the evening destination of choice for downtown goers.

You know if the Silverado is closing or relocating? That leaves only two gay bars on Stark, twas six or seven when I moved back here 5 years ago.
That area is actually designated by the City of Portland planning dept as the nightlife district. Kid you not... their goal is to make it like New Orleans, and has been for years.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 9:33 PM

^it might have taken them years, but it seems to be coming to fruition...finally...one of Portland's weaknesses is that we've been lacking a nightlife entertainment district.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 10:21 PM

Quote:
That Tillamook Forestry Center is really cool - I would love to go visit it
It's awesome...given Oregon's reputation for doing things on the cheap it is very well done and first rate museum. Seeing the forestry museum I wouldn't mind seeing more miller hull infill projects in Portland. I am not in the architecture field but their style seems to embody a "northwest" sense, with the wood, simplicity, and lots of glass to capture our precious light.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 12:32 AM
BANNED

There have been at least a couple of books done on Miller-Hull's work. They have excellent photos.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 1:26 AM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:

Silverado will have to close, and friends of the owners have more or less confirmed that he'll have an idea soon enough as to when

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 7:05 AM
Karma Police

Quote:
That leaves only two gay bars on Stark, twas six or seven when I moved back here 5 years ago.
Scandals, Red Cap and Boxxes are still there. Don't know if Silverado is closing permanently or not, but they seem to have a large, loyal clientele that would follow them to OT/CT if they chose to relocate.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 7:51 AM

as OT/CT continues to grow into its role as the nightlife area for downtown, it'd be nice to see some of those empty lots fill in. seems like it would be a great area for young people and students, who would appreciate the proximity to bars and such as well as the convenient transit connections it offers. Add to that the UO campus that will be opening soon and there's a lot of potential for housing for a more 'adventurous' young crowd willing to put up with hobos and the like. wonder if anyone will make the investment

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 4:17 PM

What, put up with Hobo's? I LOVE Hobo's.. oh..you meant that kind of hobos.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 5:30 PM
Karma Police

^^^^ I thought the same thing. Hobo's is a nice bar/restaurant. I didn't know anybody still used the word "hobo", kind of an old-timey term.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland