HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Suburbs and the State of Oregon

Old Posted Aug 21, 2007, 7:31 PM

Welcome to the city! Orenco is a pretty fascinating development. It'll be interesting to see how it develops over the next 20 years or so, when those trees have all grown up into full shade and more locally owned buisinesses give the neighborhood its own unique personality. The thing I've wondered about Orenco is, do the standard interior of the units have the same character as the exteriors do? Or did they go with more of a blank canvas sort of approach?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2007, 8:58 PM
zzzzzzzz

^ The rowhouse we bought was built in 2003 and is probably pretty typical of houses built at that time - high ceilings, modern-ish fixtures, etc. Most of the houses we looked at were the same. There are a couple different floorplans for the rowhouses in my neighborhood, as far as I can tell - we went with the smallest (~1600sf) because it was what we could afford. All the ones we looked at had the exact same square footage and floorplan. I don't know about the mixed-use places and brownstone-type houses at Orenco Station - they were mostly way out of our price range, so we didn't even look. The Q Condos were pretty nice. Most of the floor plans had multiple levels with large rooms and big, high ceilings. They had a few interior packages you could choose from when we looked (May). I'm not sure if I'm answering your question or not... The insides of the places we saw were pretty standard, with some variations from house to house (tile vs. carpet vs. laminate flooring, different style countertops, etc).

Old Posted Aug 21, 2007, 9:50 PM

Hey I just moved away from Orenco and my rowhouse. Probably the best development I'd lived in. You could see my place in one of your pics. Mine was a corner unit so the sq. footage was over 1800. They are all nice residences. I hope you enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForAteOh View Post
^ The rowhouse we bought was built in 2003 and is probably pretty typical of houses built at that time - high ceilings, modern-ish fixtures, etc. Most of the houses we looked at were the same. There are a couple different floorplans for the rowhouses in my neighborhood, as far as I can tell - we went with the smallest (~1600sf) because it was what we could afford. All the ones we looked at had the exact same square footage and floorplan. I don't know about the mixed-use places and brownstone-type houses at Orenco Station - they were mostly way out of our price range, so we didn't even look. The Q Condos were pretty nice. Most of the floor plans had multiple levels with large rooms and big, high ceilings. They had a few interior packages you could choose from when we looked (May). I'm not sure if I'm answering your question or not... The insides of the places we saw were pretty standard, with some variations from house to house (tile vs. carpet vs. laminate flooring, different style countertops, etc).

Old Posted Aug 21, 2007, 10:19 PM
zzzzzzzz

^ Wow, well depending on which corner house you had, we could have been next door neighbors! I know the corner unit next to mine sold recently. Then again, I have noticed a lot of for-sale signs in the area.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2007, 2:58 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

I wish they would've built a couple stories taller... and the detailing and design of the original Orenco mixed-use buildings were much better than the newer ones... oh well.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2007, 3:54 AM

You would know my place. It has the biggest front yard in the entire division. Do you know what is supposed to go in that vacant parcel of land adjacent to Orenco Station? They have all those bins and construction cranes that last time I looked. Originally it was rumored that a high end furniture/grocery store would be built to compliment New Seasons, but I think that failed in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForAteOh View Post
^ Wow, well depending on which corner house you had, we could have been next door neighbors! I know the corner unit next to mine sold recently. Then again, I have noticed a lot of for-sale signs in the area.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2007, 4:01 AM

Very nice photos! The street-scapes are very nice. The small front yards make them seem almost cozy.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2007, 2:09 PM
zzzzzzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjoe View Post
Can you find out what they are building at the corner of 231st and the MAX track? It is right across 231st from the Orenco MAX station.
Welcome to the neighborhood.
We just moved downtown from Orenco.
That lot will be the "Cherry Park" townhomes. Here's a rendering...

Doesn't look too exciting, but who knows how it will turn out. I found this website last night that has some info on the project (at the bottom of the page).

Old Posted Aug 22, 2007, 2:16 PM
zzzzzzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxleclerc View Post
You would know my place. It has the biggest front yard in the entire division. Do you know what is supposed to go in that vacant parcel of land adjacent to Orenco Station? They have all those bins and construction cranes that last time I looked. Originally it was rumored that a high end furniture/grocery store would be built to compliment New Seasons, but I think that failed in the end.
Oh yeah, I know which house you're talking about with the big front yard. I'm about a block from there.

As far as the vacant land near Orenco Station, I think there has been construction equipment there since I was here looking at houses in May. It may just be a staging area for the construction at those apartments on the SW corner of Cornell & Orenco Station Pkwy... I'm not really sure. When we were looking at the Q condos, the sales rep told us they were going to build a Powell's Bookstore there, but I searched online and couldn't find any mention of that on the Powell's website or anywhere else.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2007, 1:12 AM
Green Giant

Congrats on the move! I bet you are not missing the heat wave in PHX right now.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2007, 1:17 AM
Posh

Looks very nice!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2007, 3:48 AM

Hillsboro

surprised no one's posted this one yet...

http://www.oregonlive.com/printer/pr...440.xml&coll=7
Suburbs set sights higher

With more people and a limited space, Portland's 'burbs look to the skies
Friday, August 24, 2007ERIC MORTENSON
The Oregonian
Keep an eye on the skyline nearest you: The low-slung profile of Portland's suburbs, where the local hospital used to be the only building popping above the treeline, is moving skyward.
Pressed by population growth, hemmed in by the urban growth boundary and tweaked by changing demographics, the suburbs ringing Portland are gearing up for denser development and eventually much taller buildings than they have now.
Gresham, Hillsboro, Beaverton and Wilsonville are in various stages of constructing, planning or talking about taller buildings. Tigard, Tualatin and Lake Oswego may follow suit.
"If one of the suburbs goes, there will be enough interest that (others) will follow pretty quickly," Wilsonville Mayor Charlotte Lehan said.
The start is modest, with low- and mid-rise buildings first, mainly for housing.
But planners and politicians envision a series of outer urbanized centers that mimic the Pearl or towering South Waterfront districts of Portland. The suburban town centers could become places where people live, work and shop -- and as a result reduce automobile commuting and lend stability by being active 18 hours a day.
At least that's the theory. Whether it develops that way -- along with an anticipated 1 million more people by 2030 in metropolitan Portland -- is unclear.
Joel Garreau, a Virginia-based consultant and author who's written extensively on how cities develop and change, said dense housing is not the first choice for most Americans.
"The market will validate whether building this stuff is a good idea," Garreau said. "The market has a way of showing what, in fact, people prefer to do."
That sentiment accounts for much of what is known as suburban sprawl. Portland, more than Atlanta or Houston, has in recent decades waged a fight against sprawl with its urban growth boundary.
Peter Calthorpe, a Berkeley, Calif.-based designer, architect and planner who founded the Congress of New Urbanism, said: "What you're seeing is the maturation of the suburbs. They're becoming more diverse, which inherently is a good thing."
But a lot depends on shifting demographics.
"There's definitely a market out there," said Portland Metro Planning Director Andy Cotugno. "There's a growing sector of the population that doesn't need a big house with a big yard."
"Wilsonville now has only 22 percent of its households with school-age children," said Wilsonville's Lehan. "We're an older community."
And Janet Young, Gresham's economic development manager, said, "There is a niche of people who want to live in an urban form but not live in downtown Portland."
Garreau underscores a level of privilege that may be a part of suburban growth around Portland. He notes that fewer Americans live in high-rises of seven stories or more than live in trailers.
"It's a lot easier to build density for yuppies than for families or working stiffs," he quipped.
Although downtown Portland will remain a powerful draw, suburbs will grow city centers, some of them hybrids such as the "lifestyle" shopping centers Bridgeport Village in Tigard and Hillsboro's Streets of Tanasbourne, said Portland planning consultant John Fregonese. Part of the change is pushed by congested highways and a lack of public funding to rebuild.
"Hillsboro is farther away from Portland than it was 20 years ago" in terms of travel time, Fregonese said.
The success of suburban centers may not depend on being able to step out of a condo and walk to work. Only 20 percent of car trips are to work, Fregonese said. What's more important is that schools, doctors, and shopping be close by.
"Employment is harder to replicate," Fregonese said. "If you live in Gresham but have a great job at Intel, you won't give that up. But you will not drive to Hillsboro to go to a store."
Lofty visions
The move upward starts with mid-rises of four to seven stories.
Vancouver has clustered offices, stores and more than 400 apartments and condos around downtown's Esther Short Park, with more to come in buildings that will stretch eight stories high.
"We thought of ourselves as a bedroom community of Portland and acted like it; we had no urban development," said Gerald Baugh, Vancouver's economic development services manager. "For us, it's definitely a change, and the skyline is definitely changing."
Hillsboro, 20 minutes west of Portland, has ambitious plans for its OHSU/AmberGlen area south of the Tanasbourne Town Center and an adjacent five-acre parcel at Northwest Cornell Road. The city of 85,000 is talking about development that could result in buildings 25 stories high.
In Beaverton, an eight-story building is expected to be built at The Round, at the Beaverton Central MAX station west of Portland, while the Westgate Theatre property off nearby Hall Boulevard could be home to mixed-use buildings up to 15 stories tall. East of Portland, Gresham developers are clustering four-story condos and apartments with ground floor retail in and around its Civic Neighborhood and historic downtown.
Wilsonville, which straddles Interstate 5 south of Portland, is only in the musing stage. But the city of 17,000 has a history of moving quickly on new ideas, and Mayor Lehan wants to take her city higher -- maybe seven to 10 stories.
Preventing sprawl
Population drives it.
"We have to accommodate (in Washington County) another 400,000 people," said Wink Brooks, retired Hillsboro planning and economic development manager. "We'll have another 50,000 jobs by then, which need a place for people to live. One of the ways for them to live, and that is increasingly acceptable to people, is living in higher density centers."
The area's cities and Metro, the regional government, have agreed to concentrate growth in town centers rather than sprawl outward. That's preferable to developing flag lots -- building houses at the back of existing homes with an access driveway giving the property a flag shape -- or dropping apartments into existing single-family neighborhoods, said Linda Adlard, chief of staff to Beaverton Mayor Rob Drake.
"With the housing influx we've all agreed to put into our cities, we would prefer that it be in our more populated downtown area and preserve our current neighborhoods," Adlard said.
There aren't a whole lot of other options.
Metro can always push out the urban growth boundary, but that's increasingly difficult because of the high cost of providing streets, water and sewer to new areas, Metro Council President David Bragdon said.
Moderate high-rise development, he said, "would be preferable to Portland expanding all the way to Salem, or to Sandy, or to the Coast Range -- and preferable to changes in our single-family neighborhoods."
Access to mass transit is key, planners said. The town centers in Hillsboro, Beaverton and Gresham are all served by the MAX light-rail system. Wilsonville is not, but it will have a station on the commuter train line, now under construction, that will connect it to Beaverton.
"Almost anywhere you have taller buildings, you have reduced need for car travel," Lehan said. "You densify."
Mass transit is especially appealing to retirees, said Adlard, the Beaverton chief of staff.
"If you live on the sixth floor of a building and you don't drive, but there's transit there, then all of a sudden you have a community that allows you to be pretty independent for a much longer period of time," she said.
Metro's planners have tried to spread the high-rise and density gospel by taking local leaders on tours of Vancouver, B.C., a city widely admired for its growth management. Wilsonville's Lehan said the Canadian city, its sprawl checked by ocean and mountains, has high-rises spaced throughout its suburbs.
Gresham now boasts a "vertical housing" tax credit. Developer Mike Rossman said the concept has been slow to take off, however, because suburban land values don't yet support building up instead of out. As land values within the urban growth boundary continue to increase, he said, buildings will shoot up.
Rossman's Beranger project in downtown Gresham is an example. The four-story building, nearing completion, will have 24 condos above 6,000 square feet of ground-floor retail. Condos are priced from $185,000 to $330,000 -- and 30 percent of them are already sold, Rossman said.
The buyers are a combination of young singles and people older than 55, he said. The project is within blocks of a light-rail stop, walking distance from downtown restaurants and shops, and across the street from the site of a future performing arts center, public plaza and farmers market.
Creating urban lifestyles in the suburbs takes more than a wish, however.
"We know that we're on the leading edge of an idea, and bringing the market to that idea is our challenge," said Brooks, of Hillsboro.
Mixed results
Results elsewhere are mixed. Seattle focuses growth within an urban growth boundary, and Redmond and Bellevue have had some success developing "centers that did not exist before, with lots of jobs and lots of housing," said Rick Olson, spokesman for the Puget Sound Regional Council, the equivalent of Metro.
But he is quick to add: "There are also examples of places that have ambitions of job growth within their centers that haven't materialized."
Garreau, the author, wryly added: "I've always been grateful that Portland exists in same way I'm grateful that Las Vegas exists: They're both at the end of bell curve distribution -- at opposite ends -- of what our urban futures will be like.
"I'm glad you're trying this (stuff). Let us know how it turns out."
Eric Mortenson; 503-294-7636; ericmortenson@news.oregonian.com

©2007 The Oregonian

Old Posted Aug 25, 2007, 4:15 AM

Some pics from the Oregonian's article

Skylines in the suburbs will be rising. Downtown Vancouver is seeing an increase in condo and multi-use development. photo by Faith Cathcart / Oregonian

Marley Fouts-Carrico, 6, cools off a the public fountain at Esther Short Park front of Parkview condos in Vancouver. photo by Faith Cathcart / Oregonian

Pressed by population growth and hemmed in by the urban growth boundary, the suburbs are expecting higher density and 7 to 20 story buildings. Beranger Condominiums in Gresham is one example of dense development that will be coming to the suburbs. photo by Doug Beghtel / Oregonian

photo by Doug Beghtel / Oregonian

photo by Doug Beghtel / Oregonian

Old Posted Aug 25, 2007, 4:20 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

^umm, formatting please?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2007, 8:30 PM
=)

i work/live very close to the Orenco area

definitely a great area to live in

i LOVE It!

Stop building out, start building up, BUT DO IT RIGHT the first time....so we dont have to come back and fix our mistakes 50 years from now.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2007, 10:09 AM

I went through Orenco Station last week. Its an interesting development for sure. I just moved off the MAX line in Beaverton, so I'm not far away.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 6:38 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

BEAVERTON | West Village | x | x | Proposed

Choice site, ripe market
West Village will rise on the former Teufel Nursery as the first "lifestyle center" north of the Sunset Highway
Thursday, October 25, 2007
DAVID R. ANDERSON
The Oregonian

BEAVERTON -- Shoppers looking for gourmet groceries, a white-tablecloth restaurant or a place to take the kids to a video arcade while they hang out at a sports bar will soon get a new place to spend money.

One of the developers of Bridgeport Village is planning a 15-acre shopping center on the former Teufel Nursery property on Northwest Barnes Road. The 230,000-square-foot project will be nearly half the size of the successful Tigard center and the first "lifestyle center" north of U.S. 26, said Bruce Wood, president of Foundation Real Estate Development.

The West Village shopping center will have two anchor tenants: an unnamed gourmet grocery store and Big Al's, a Vancouver-based entertainment experience that resembles a bowling alley on steroids.

Cedar Mill residents, who successfully fought a Wal-Mart just down the street, say they are fine with this project because it won't draw shoppers -- and traffic -- from across the region.

Retail analysts said the center has a ready-made market in the affluent neighborhoods north of the Sunset Highway, from Forest Heights to Bethany. It will become a local alternative to the Streets of Tanasbourne, Cedar Hills Crossing and even Washington Square, said Craig Sweitzer, a retail analyst and principal at Urban Works Real Estate.

West Village could be followed by a construction boom on property to the east owned by the Peterkort family along Barnes Road from Cedar Hills Boulevard nearly to Providence St. Vincent Medical Center.

Town center

West Village stores and offices will be a key piece in making the 88-acre Timberland development into a town center where people can work, go to school and shop within walking distance of where they live.

The project, which is on one of the largest undeveloped parcels near downtown Portland, ultimately will have a K-8 school, and 1,300 condominiums and townhouses in the center of a triangle formed by Barnes Road, Cornell Road and Cedar Hills Boulevard.

The lifestyle center -- distinguished by an open-air design, interior streets, and a mix of local and national retailers -- is at the south end of the community. It will include gathering places and plenty of places for shoppers to linger.

"It's not a typical strip development; it's more of a Main Street environment," said Fred Gast, senior vice president of Polygon Northwest, Timberland's owner.

The project won't have the "faux" look of Bridgeport Village but will be more authentically urban, with more metal, glass and stone, said Suenn Ho, a senior designer for Mulvanny G2 Architecture. It will resemble the Pearl District, but on a smaller scale, she said.

It also will have a botanical theme, reflecting the site's decades-old history as a nursery, Ho said. Garden courtyards in the parking lots will be planted with native species and plants, including holly, for which Teufel is known.

The center's first phase will have 200,000 square feet of stores and restaurants and 30,000 square feet of second-story office space. Land-use approvals would allow 70,000 square feet of additional space to the east, across a north-south road that runs through the development. Ultimately, the center could grow to more than 400,000 square feet if nearby roads are improved, making it nearly as large as Bridgeport Village.

The shopping center likely will have several restaurants, a coffee shop, jewelry store, salon and small boutiques. The developer is negotiating to lease about 70 percent of the space, but Wood said he's not ready to name tenants.

It will not have two of the traditional anchors of a lifestyle center, a large bookstore and movie theaters, because of the proximity of those businesses at Cedar Hills Crossing, about two miles away, Wood said.

Polygon has received land-use approvals from Washington County for the zoning and size of the project. Wood will have to submit the design to Beaverton for approval. He hopes to start construction in the spring or summer, and open in spring 2009.

Bigger than Wal-Mart

The shopping center is bigger than the rejected 152,300-square-foot Wal-Mart at Cedar Hills Boulevard and Barnes Road that drew neighborhood ire.

But the stores at West Village are intended more for locals, and the project is better geared to bicyclists and pedestrians, said Steve Kaufman, leader of Save Cedar Mill, the group that fought Wal-Mart.

"This is very much in line with the vision we had for the (Wal-Mart) site," Kaufman said.

Still, a future tenant of West Village said one draw was the nearness of the Sunset Highway and Oregon 217.

Daniel Kirkwood and his family opened Big Al's in Vancouver in September 2006. The entertainment center includes a sports bar with a screen measuring 8 by 36 feet, 42 bowling lanes and an arcade with space for 120 players.

Kirkwood said he is ready to open a second location, bigger and better than the first, and loves the West Village site.

"The Beaverton demographics are just phenomenal," he said.

It also helps that Nike, Intel and other businesses are nearby.

That daytime population will help West Village businesses prosper, said Sweitzer, the retail analyst. The real prize to guarantee West Village's success would be a Whole Foods market, he said.

But Wood said the gourmet grocery planned for the shopping center is not Whole Foods.

Whole Foods, in fact, has been in talks with the Peterkort family about their property to the east on Barnes Road, said Lois Ditmars, a family spokeswoman. But nothing has been decided.

Sweitzer said West Village will take business from established retailers in the county.

Bales Marketplace might see some loss of business, said General Manager Craig Allen, but the grocery store has been working for more than a year to keep up with the growing market for specialty and gourmet products. For example, the store carries nearly 40 brands of olive oil. Allen is hoping that service and Bales' history of 46 years in the community will keep customers.

"Anyone can sell a can of beans for 59 cents," Allen said, "but it's everything else you can offer that makes a difference."

David R. Anderson: 503-294-5199; davidanderson@news.oregonian.com

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 3:23 PM

Tigard

Tigard rail may drive development
Final crossing construction for the Washington County commuter line starts Friday
POSTED: 06:00 AM PDT Thursday, October 25, 2007
BY TYLER GRAF
Daily Journal of Commerce

TriMet’s Washington County Commuter Rail is continuing on track, as final railroad crossing reconstruction will begin Friday and wrap up Monday in Tigard. And for Tigard, the commuter rail represents an opportunity to reinvest in the city.

Set to begin operating in a year, the commuter rail will provide transit service from Wilsonville to points north, including Tigard, Beaverton and Tualatin. Using an existing corridor, the commuter rail will take about 27 minutes to travel from Wilsonville to the Beaverton Transit Center, TriMet says.

“We see all this really helping the core area of (Tigard) and bringing more attention to the downtown,” Phil Nachbar, a Tigard planner, said. “The commuter rail was the impetus for Tigard’s most recent downtown plan. People knew the commuter rail was coming to town, and people started thinking seriously about redevelopment in the downtown.”

Nachbar cites Lake Oswego’s Millennium Plaza as a model for Tigard – with its sculptures, pergola and open fire place, he says, it encourages gatherings and events.

And that’s what Tigard wants. The city is looking for its own gathering place, a focal point for its citizens and visitors. Although the plaza is still three to five years down the road, the city is starting its planning process early to correspond with the commuter line’s completion.

In May 2006, the city passed an urban renewal ballot measure. Since then, it’s progressed, Nachbar said, defining a core area and identifying a location for a new public plaza.

The city is also drafting a master plan for redeveloping a 23-acre park on the edge of town, called Fountain Creek Park. The park and the plaza will eventually be within a block of the commuter rail.

“One of the big issues for our downtown is establishing an identity and a sense of place,” Nachbar said.

He said he believes improved public spaces, developed in conjunction with the commuter rail, will ultimately create distinguishing characteristics for Tigard.

Anne Madden, of Washington County’s Department of Land Use and Transportation, wants the commuter rail to exemplify forward-thinking public transportation initiatives, as there are few similar programs nationally.

“We consider this to be the most creative partnership (involving transit) reuse ever,” Madden said, a point with which Peggy LaPoint of TriMet agrees.

Still, the commuter rail wasn’t an easy sell. The primary source for the project’s $117 million price tag was the federal government – which provided $58.7 million in all.

“We expect that nationally we will be quite the model,” Madden said. “But when the federal government heard about this project, they were quite bemused; it was kind of, ‘Huh, how do you do commuter service?’”

Not everyone in the community is excited about the service. Over the past several years, TriMet has heard complaints concerning the commuter rail from people living in the serviced areas. Steve Schopp, a Tualatin resident, called commuter rail “illegitimate” in an e-mail to TriMet in 2004, complaining the project wouldn’t alleviate traffic congestion. Derek Colby of Tualatin said TriMet had not studied noise issues adequately enough, arguing the commuter rail would run too closely to his house and be disruptive. And residents in Tigard complained that the Oregon Department of Transportation’s plan to prevent left turns on 74th Avenue was bad for local business.

The final track rehabilitation signifies a moving forward – not only for the commuter rail project but also for the region’s public transportation infrastructure. When the service debuts Sept. 12, 2008, it will be 10 years to the day of TriMet’s christening of the MAX westside light-rail service, an event attended by then-vice president Al Gore.

But, if funding projections hold true, the commuter rail will come in at nearly one-tenth the price of the westside MAX, which cost about $963 million for about 18 miles of tracks.

Madden says future expansion isn’t on the boards, but she expects it will be – and she envisions nearly 40 miles of commuter tracks running north to south.

“If this is successful, and I see absolutely no reason why it wouldn’t be, there are sufficient tracks to expand this rail line south to Salem,” she said.
http://www.djcoregon.com/articleDeta...y-commuter-lin

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 7:41 AM
A before E

lame, I have a hard time believing Tigard will ever establish a full fledge downtown. The shell of a small town downtown is about all they will ever have. I guess they could always build an outdoor mall in it and call it a downtown. They would be better off if Lincoln Center was in their downtown, then at least in that sense they would have office space and buildings taller than anything in Beaverton.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 7:46 AM
A before E

I use to live right down the road from this site. It is good to see smart suburban development going on. Now only if this would take off in the country and all suburban development was like this.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Suburbs and the State of Oregon